PDA

View Full Version : Who is here now that could fit into a 3-4?

Don't Panic
10-04-2009, 06:17 PM
Looking ahead...

I would guess that the odds are our next coach will bring with him a 3-4 defense. Who out of this current group would be able to transition to that scheme? Here's my best guess, but I need some help to really get the right insight into some of these spots...

Staying:
Maybin (OLB) - The only place he could play, but I could see it working out pretty nicely
Poz (MLB) - Might be a better fit for him
McKelvin and McGhee (CBs) - Should transition pretty well
Whitner (SS) - Probably better at SS than FS in this scheme (?)
Corner (CB) - Should make a decent nickel

Gone:
Ellison - He doesn't belong in a 4-3, so there's no way he belongs in a 3-4
Denney - OLB? I doubt it... and not big enough for DE
Kelsay - See above

Questionable:
Mitchell - Where does he play? Can he go OLB in a 3-4? Would he be better at ILB? I can't recall where he played in NY
Stroud - Is he big enough to play NT in this scheme? I guess it depends who the ends are
Schoebel - I put him here, but like Denney and Kelsay, I just can't see where he'd fit in
Williams - I love the guy, but where in the world could he play in a 3-4
Johnson - Could he play DE in a 3-4? I don't know...

Anyone else worth mentioning?

Our first hole to plug would be DE I would guess. Maybe look that way in the draft and go ILB via FA, or vice versa. There's going to be some cap implications to consider with cuts as well.

Jeff1220
10-04-2009, 06:19 PM
They can't figure out how to play against a 3-4. I doubt they'd be able to figure out how to run it.

Scumbag College
10-04-2009, 06:22 PM
They can't figure out how to play against a 3-4. I doubt they'd be able to figure out how to run it.

Great, more rebuilding for the tenth straight year!!!!!!!

rcd333
10-04-2009, 06:23 PM
if the bills were to switch to the 3-4 they should get a suitable nose tackle first.

Ginger Vitis
10-04-2009, 06:23 PM
To transition to a 3-4 there would have to be a massive overhaul of the current defense...Aaron Schobel is way too small to play DE in a 3-4

Don't Panic
10-04-2009, 06:32 PM
I can see 6 or 7 quality starters that could be salvaged, but the rest would have to be overhauled... especially the line. Not going to happen overnight, that's for sure...

Ingtar33
10-04-2009, 06:32 PM
Questionable:
Mitchell - Where does he play? Can he go OLB in a 3-4? Would he be better at ILB? I can't recall where he played in NY
(ILB - he would be ideal as a 34 ILB)

Stroud - Is he big enough to play NT in this scheme? I guess it depends who the ends are
Stroud isn't a 3-4 NT... he would make a great 3-4 End, but a terrible NT)

Schoebel - I put him here, but like Denney and Kelsay, I just can't see where he'd fit in
(Schobel would probably have to play OLB if we keep him, opposite Maybin he'd probably be pretty good)

Williams - I love the guy, but where in the world could he play in a 3-4
Kyle Williams is the closest thing we have to a 3-4 NT... if we don't go out and get one, he'd probably play NT in a 34... if we get one, he'd probably have to move outside and learn how to play 5 technique... aka 34 DE)

Johnson - Could he play DE in a 3-4? I don't know...
(He's built like a 34 DE... and seems to have the speed for it... i think he'd adjust better then williams or Stroud to the 5 technique)

Don't Panic
10-04-2009, 06:41 PM
That leaves us a starter quality NT away from making the switch on day one? That and a decent draft to get a few more guys who are better fits for a 3-4 personnel? Not as bad as I first thought...