Who is here now that could fit into a 3-4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don't Panic
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Dec 2005

Who is here now that could fit into a 3-4?

Looking ahead...

I would guess that the odds are our next coach will bring with him a 3-4 defense. Who out of this current group would be able to transition to that scheme? Here's my best guess, but I need some help to really get the right insight into some of these spots...

Staying:
    Maybin (OLB) - The only place he could play, but I could see it working out pretty nicely
    Poz (MLB) - Might be a better fit for him
    McKelvin and McGhee (CBs) - Should transition pretty well
    Whitner (SS) - Probably better at SS than FS in this scheme (?)
    Corner (CB) - Should make a decent nickel

Gone:
    Ellison - He doesn't belong in a 4-3, so there's no way he belongs in a 3-4
    Denney - OLB? I doubt it... and not big enough for DE
    Kelsay - See above

Questionable:
    Mitchell - Where does he play? Can he go OLB in a 3-4? Would he be better at ILB? I can't recall where he played in NY
    Stroud - Is he big enough to play NT in this scheme? I guess it depends who the ends are
    Schoebel - I put him here, but like Denney and Kelsay, I just can't see where he'd fit in
    Williams - I love the guy, but where in the world could he play in a 3-4
    Johnson - Could he play DE in a 3-4? I don't know...

Anyone else worth mentioning?

Our first hole to plug would be DE I would guess. Maybe look that way in the draft and go ILB via FA, or vice versa. There's going to be some cap implications to consider with cuts as well.
  • Jeff1220
    H to the 12:20
    • Jul 2002

Re: Who is here now that could fit into a 3-4?

They can't figure out how to play against a 3-4. I doubt they'd be able to figure out how to run it.

Comment

• Scumbag College
      • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Jeff1220
      They can't figure out how to play against a 3-4. I doubt they'd be able to figure out how to run it.
      Great, more rebuilding for the tenth straight year!!!!!!!
      Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/

Comment

• rcd333
        • Mar 2007

if the bills were to switch to the 3-4 they should get a suitable nose tackle first.

Comment

• Ginger Vitis
          • Feb 2009

To transition to a 3-4 there would have to be a massive overhaul of the current defense...Aaron Schobel is way too small to play DE in a 3-4

Comment

• Don't Panic
            All-Pro Zoner
            • Dec 2005

I can see 6 or 7 quality starters that could be salvaged, but the rest would have to be overhauled... especially the line. Not going to happen overnight, that's for sure...

Comment

• Ingtar33
              Dances With Buffaloes
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Carpetbagger
              Questionable:
              Mitchell - Where does he play? Can he go OLB in a 3-4? Would he be better at ILB? I can't recall where he played in NY
              (ILB - he would be ideal as a 34 ILB)

Stroud - Is he big enough to play NT in this scheme? I guess it depends who the ends are
              Stroud isn't a 3-4 NT... he would make a great 3-4 End, but a terrible NT)

Schoebel - I put him here, but like Denney and Kelsay, I just can't see where he'd fit in
              (Schobel would probably have to play OLB if we keep him, opposite Maybin he'd probably be pretty good)

Williams - I love the guy, but where in the world could he play in a 3-4
              Kyle Williams is the closest thing we have to a 3-4 NT... if we don't go out and get one, he'd probably play NT in a 34... if we get one, he'd probably have to move outside and learn how to play 5 technique... aka 34 DE)

Johnson - Could he play DE in a 3-4? I don't know...
              (He's built like a 34 DE... and seems to have the speed for it... i think he'd adjust better then williams or Stroud to the 5 technique)
              Last edited by Ingtar33; 10-04-2009, 06:34 PM.
              My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Don't Panic
                All-Pro Zoner
                • Dec 2005

That leaves us a starter quality NT away from making the switch on day one? That and a decent draft to get a few more guys who are better fits for a 3-4 personnel? Not as bad as I first thought...

Comment

Working...
                X