PDA

View Full Version : Trent belongs on the bench

X-Era
10-05-2009, 06:05 AM
I dont mean to say that someone else is better on this team and should start... IMO that's not the case. What I mean is that I'm pretty convinced hes a career backup.

A franchise QB:

Leads his team to victory- Trent doesn't do that
Keeps drives alive- Trent doesn't do that
Put his team in a position to win- Trent doesn't do that
Makes big plays at times- Trent rarely does that
Minimizes mistakes- Trent makes too many mistakes

Right now, Trent is a guy who could come into a game and play if your starter gets injured. That's about it though.

Were still searching for our franchise QB.

Jan Reimers
10-05-2009, 07:12 AM
Trent is the poor man's JP Losman. An equally incompetent QB, but without the arm or athletic ability.

Meathead
10-05-2009, 07:21 AM
who really knows that trent is? does it even matter when the entire team is in complete disarray?

the decision to sit him is going to make itself here real shortly anyway. you could have jim kelly in his prime and if the offense is averaging four points a game you gotta make a switch regardless

EDS
10-05-2009, 10:19 AM
Trent is the only viable QB option on the roster, so might as well let him finish off the season, and probably his career. So sad.

Griff
10-05-2009, 10:53 AM
Trent is the poor man's JP Losman. An equally incompetent QB, but without the arm or athletic ability.

wow... please, don't post again, its better to be thought of as an idiot than to post a message and prove it.

Buckets
10-05-2009, 10:55 AM
Edwards is not starter material. He cannot see plays develop until defenders have had the chance to recover, he does not throw crossing patterns to receivers where they are the only ones that can catch them. He throws check down (or outlet) passes to receivers who are practicaly under tackle.

PECKERWOOD
10-05-2009, 12:01 PM
Putting him on the bench is a bit strong, I'm willing to give him to week 8 to show vast improvements. I believe that patience is crucial when it comes to QBs. I was patient with Bledsoe, was patient with Losman and I'll be patient with Edwards. He is likely our best bet at winning football games this year until next offseason where we can potentially add another QB.

trapezeus
10-05-2009, 12:24 PM
edwards like a number of our starters would be awesome depth player but a crumby starter.

Jan, i'm with you on most football stuff, but JP was not better than Trent. Trent at least moves the ball a little. Surely he's regressing to JP levels, but the guy will have a job next year. A team with a west coast offense and a good line can use Trent. We can't.

Sadly for trent, he's performing poorly when the weather is fine. it'll only get worse.

justasportsfan
10-05-2009, 12:25 PM
edwards like a number of our starters would be awesome depth player but a crumby starter.

Jan, i'm with you on most football stuff, but JP was not better than Trent. Trent at least moves the ball a little. Surely he's regressing to JP levels, but the guy will have a job next year. A team with a west coast offense and a good line can use Trent. We can't.

Sadly for trent, he's performing poorly when the weather is fine. it'll only get worse.
Trent hasn't achieved what JP has in 2006 and JP had less weapons. I'll take JP back over Trent right now and I'm sure both Lee and TO would love that too.

trapezeus
10-05-2009, 12:29 PM
you are entitled to your opinion...but the market has spoken on JP. If he was better, he'd be on a team. someone would have taken a flier. Next year if trent is out of football (not injury based) the football market will have spoken.

Regardless, i'm giving you what you asked. I'm giving up on Trent....however, i dont' see the point of crushing fitzpatrick. he may very well be a good backup to have on the roster.

justasportsfan
10-05-2009, 12:33 PM
you are entitled to your opinion...but the market has spoken on JP. If he was better, he'd be on a team. someone would have taken a flier. Next year if trent is out of football (not injury based) the football market will have spoken.

Regardless, i'm giving you what you asked. I'm giving up on Trent....however, i dont' see the point of crushing fitzpatrick. he may very well be a good backup to have on the roster.

and you know what the market spoke of JP? Do you have the facts that JP ended up in another league because no one wnated him or he just chose to play for Fassel? You don't.

Yeah we are all entitled to our opinion and if your opinion is that a qb that gives up early in the game is better than a qb who although makes mistakes at least tries , then thats your opinion.

Trent right now is NOT better than Rob Johnson and I'll take JP over Robosack.

Jan Reimers
10-05-2009, 12:47 PM
wow... please, don't post again, its better to be thought of as an idiot than to post a message and prove it.
Wow, are such subtleties as humor and sarcasm always lost on you?

Jan Reimers
10-05-2009, 12:50 PM

I was mostly being gently sarcastic, but the reality is that Trent is only marginally better than JP, and will most probably never be a starter in this league.

Griff
10-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Wow, are such subtleties as humor and sarcasm always lost on you?

in text form sarcasm is often lost in the translation, because sarcasm generally needs a tone of voice.

Griff
10-05-2009, 05:59 PM
I love how quickly you people are willing to give up on a player.

Mudflap1
10-05-2009, 06:03 PM
This is really getting sad... there is love being shown to Losman. Talk about rubbing salt in the wounds. How about Joe Ferguson? Maybe he could come back. (hopefully his recovery is going well)

X-Era
10-05-2009, 06:16 PM
I love how quickly you people are willing to give up on a player.

Im not quick to give up on anyone.

To prove my point,

You can ask TD about how long I was pro-Losman if you like.

cough-LosmanEra- cough

Mr. Pink
10-05-2009, 06:26 PM
Trent likely isn't a starter in this league, but unlike JP has some mental aptitude of the game. Sure he's regressed as a player, it's obvious. But we've seen in the past that he does have awareness.

What he lacks is the fire or physical ability for the game. You need to throw intermediate passes, he can't or won't do that for whatever reason. Be it, it's not part of his game or he's afraid to make the throws doesn't matter. If you don't make those throws you don't succeed at this level.

However, I'm willing to bet that after his time here is through he'll be holding a clipboard somewhere not going to play for a lame duck league.

Meathead
10-05-2009, 08:44 PM
lets face it, adalius thomas broke trent edwards

PECKERWOOD
10-05-2009, 08:56 PM
Do we get rid of him? Well, doesn't that depend really? Would it be worth getting rid of him if meant rushing it and taking another QB that we aren't really confident in? It's a wait and see game.. Who will be available next year?

PECKERWOOD
10-05-2009, 08:58 PM
lets face it, adalius thomas broke trent edwards

No sir, that accomplishment goes to Adrian Wilson, imo..

HHURRICANE
10-05-2009, 09:29 PM
I don't believe that Edwards deserves the abuse he is getting here but at the same time he better get something going and quick.

This last game was painful even for someone that believes he is good enough. I just watched Favrre get like 10 seconds to throw a ball.

Night Train
10-06-2009, 03:30 AM
Fitzpatrick at least showed the ability to drill the 20 yard slant into tight spaces during the preseaon. I bet our WR's would see FAR more opportunities.

djjimkelly
10-06-2009, 04:45 AM
I dont mean to say that someone else is better on this team and should start... IMO that's not the case. What I mean is that I'm pretty convinced hes a career backup.

A franchise QB:

Leads his team to victory- Trent doesn't do that
Keeps drives alive- Trent doesn't do that
Put his team in a position to win- Trent doesn't do that
Makes big plays at times- Trent rarely does that
Minimizes mistakes- Trent makes too many mistakes

Right now, Trent is a guy who could come into a game and play if your starter gets injured. That's about it though.

Were still searching for our franchise QB.

it actually cracks me up and its comical that people honestly thought this lifetime loser from stanford would lead bills to promised land

justasportsfan
10-06-2009, 08:54 AM
I don't believe that Edwards deserves the abuse he is getting here but at the same time he better get something going and quick.

This last game was painful even for someone that believes he is good enough. I just watched Favrre get like 10 seconds to throw a ball.

HH is such a licker . His performance was worse than JP's performance vs. the jets where he got abused by posters here. NO one should attempt to defend Trent other than his lickers.

Jan Reimers
10-06-2009, 09:00 AM

Conversely, Aaron Rodgers was sacked 8 times and was under pressure all night, but still managed to have a decent game throwing the ball. Good QBs find a way to perform, even in tough situations.

yordad
10-06-2009, 09:08 AM

This last game was painful even for someone that believes he is good enough. I just watched Favrre get like 10 seconds to throw a ball.Then you must have noticed Rodgers get sacked like 10 times and still throw for nearly 400.

Edit: OK, I just noticed Jan said basically the same thing.

trapezeus
10-06-2009, 09:29 AM
justa, you really think Losman would rather play for fassel in a league that may not make it verse being a backup on another team? You are right, i don't have any inside information, but that'd be stupid, even for JP to pass on an NFL gig. I realize this is part of his highlight film he's looking to make.

Point is we are on to trent. he has looked average at the very best of the spectrum and like a total bust at the worst. That doesn't necessarily mean anything in a comparison to JP.

Trent's struggles aren't nearly as awful as JP's struggles the last two years.

Jan Reimers
10-06-2009, 09:35 AM
justa, you really think Losman would rather play for fassel in a league that may not make it verse being a backup on another team? You are right, i don't have any inside information, but that'd be stupid, even for JP to pass on an NFL gig. I realize this is part of his highlight film he's looking to make.

Point is we are on to trent. he has looked average at the very best of the spectrum and like a total bust at the worst. That doesn't necessarily mean anything in a comparison to JP.

Trent's struggles aren't nearly as awful as JP's struggles the last two years.
Trent loses in a less flamboyant way.

justasportsfan
10-06-2009, 09:40 AM
justa, you really think Losman would rather play for fassel in a league that may not make it verse being a backup on another team? You are right, i don't have any inside information, but that'd be stupid, even for JP to pass on an NFL gig. I realize this is part of his highlight film he's looking to make..

it makes sense why JP ended up in the UFL ,but of course you'll come up with your own conclusion.

http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/ufl/news/story?id=4346612

Point is we are on to trent. he has looked average at the very best of the spectrum and like a total bust at the worst. That doesn't necessarily mean anything in a comparison to JP. . but it means a lot when you're using the very same excuses people made for JP. It shows the double standards around here.

Trent's struggles aren't nearly as awful as JP's struggles the last two years. thats your opinion. JP went down trying while Trent goes down like a girl. If you think pllaying like a sissy is a better struggle then I'm glad we have different opinions.

FYI, I still say both Trent and Jp were set up to fail. I still think Trent can be a good qb with the right coach . Somebody just needs to teach him to grow some balls.

trapezeus
10-06-2009, 10:24 AM
and i'm giving you that you were right all this time for screaming about the lines. i don't think Losman would have done any better with a better line. He played worse with a better line. But the team's woes rest on the OL and DL. We've all said this for a while. But when we see QB's failing, we usually want a new qb instead of wanting a better OL

You can see the marked difference between week 1 and now week 4 in the QB play....and even RB production. A good line is all the difference.

justasportsfan
10-06-2009, 10:39 AM
and i'm giving you that you were right all this time for screaming about the lines. i don't think Losman would have done any better with a better line. He played worse with a better line. But the team's woes rest on the OL and DL. We've all said this for a while. But when we see QB's failing, we usually want a new qb instead of wanting a better OL

You can see the marked difference between week 1 and now week 4 in the QB play....and even RB production. A good line is all the difference.Again, I'm not saying one is better than the other. Two different qb's who can't succeed under practically the same circumstances.

You're the one who's trying to tell me that this and that qb is better. FYI, The worse performance by any qb last year with the same line was Trent vs. the Browns. The browns D.

People said JP was a one trick wonder. Trent doesn't have any. He can't even hit his dinks and dunks.

We all know now that JP is not a qb who's HC wants a conservative system just like Trent is a qb who's best suited for a WCO. JP would've done so much better if he had TO when teams were double teaming Evans.

Again, I'm not saying one is better than the other. Two different qb's who can't succeed under practically the same circumstances.

yordad
10-06-2009, 11:49 AM
justa, you really think Losman would rather play for fassel in a league that may not make it verse being a backup on another team? Yes. I am positive JP would rather start in a different league then be a backup here. Especially when that different league makes him the face of it, and pays way more.

I am sure JP has too much confidence in himself to take a backup job with an alternative. Just look at his play to win mentality. He wouldn't "check it down" to a backup job.

Michael82
10-06-2009, 12:36 PM
Conversely, Aaron Rodgers was sacked 8 times and was under pressure all night, but still managed to have a decent game throwing the ball. Good QBs find a way to perform, even in tough situations.
Exactly! Great post, Jan! :bf1:

The King
10-06-2009, 01:18 PM
Trent is the poor man's JP Losman. An equally incompetent QB, but without the arm or athletic ability.:rofl:

JP LOSMAN is a poor mans JP LOSMAN.