PDA

View Full Version : Time to make a change

Dujek
10-05-2009, 06:44 AM
Embarrassing. Humiliating. Humbling.

Three words that describe yesterday's loss to the Dolphins. I have seen poor performances from the Bills before. I have seen them put to the sword by good teams, but I have never, in my memory, seen them so badly outclassed by a poor football team.

This is not like the games against New England and New Orleans, where we can say "Well we were playing one of the best teams in the league", the 2009 Miami Dolphins are a bad football team. Not only were they a bad team yesterday though, they were a bad team missing their best linebacker and their starting quarterback, and the Bills STILL let them hang 38 points on them. I think most of us expected this level of performance from the Bills this season, especially after pre-season, however the first two weeks of the season, and to a lesser extent even the game against the Saints, showed enough promise that we thought the Bills might actually be able to get to the Jauron standard 7-9, or even break even on the season. Of course that's the Bills' speciality, get your hopes up, and then pull the rug from under your feet.

Back in January I wrote an open letter to Russ Brandon and Ralph Wilson, which I posted here, pointing out the many valid reasons for relieving Jauron, Fewell and Schonert of their duties, and how the Bills fans felt that the Front Office no longer cared about on-field results because they retained all three of them at the end of the season. Well now it has become abundantly clear that there are only two possible reasons that Jauron is still the Bills coach, and they're both to do with money. The first is the fact that Ralph doesn't want to pay out the remainder of Jauron's contract, and the second is that Jauron's the cheapest coach in history, and Ralph doesn't want to pay for a proven winner to come in and help turn things around. I honestly can't see any reason to keep him beyond 7pm EST last night. Jauron stood motionless and emotionless on the sideline, looking as shell-shocked as his quarterback, while the Dolphins literally ran his team into the ground, of all the indignities that we had to suffer in watching that game, surely the complete indifference of our coach who was watching his team crumble in front of him has to be the biggest?

I know that it's hard to get a quality coach to come in mid-season, and there are a few valid reasons for letting Jauron see out this term, but the Bills have got to show that failures of this magnitude will not be tolerated, and end the Jauron era now. Even if we can't get a quality coach in until the close season at least we would know that it's coming, and we'd have something to look forward to. And at least Bobby April lets his players know when they screw up on Special Teams (something he's had plenty of practice at this year), at the very least he'd bring some fire to the head coach role if he was given it on an interim basis.

The time has come. Dick must go.