PDA

View Full Version : Brees Drafted by the Bills - It could've been

Jeff1220
10-05-2009, 08:00 AM
:sigh:

Drew Brees an icon on the level of Jim Kelly.

Gregg Williams the next Marv Levy.

The San Antonio Saints.

It's interesting how one draft choice you didn't make can affect so many lives and two franchises. Think back to the 2001 draft. Gregg Williams, the coach of the Bills, was teaming for his first draft as a head coach with GM Tom Donahoe. Before the draft, when Williams attended a workout for Brees, the smallish Purdue quarterback, he thought he was the best quarterback prospect coming out that year. "I fell in love with him,'' Williams said the other day. "Not just his ability; he had plenty of arm. But his moxie as a leader. You need that in your quarterback, and I loved his."

The Bills determined they would use their first-round pick to get Nate Clements, the Ohio State cornerback (they actually traded down a few spots in the first round and still got him), then focus all their attention trying to move up from the 46th overall pick in the second round -- their slot -- to pick near the front of the round. That's where they projected Brees getting picked. So Buffalo began calling around, trying to see if Brees was still there when they picked, could the Bills move up to get him? No team bit. And then, as the second round dawned, San Diego used the 32nd overall pick to select Brees.

"I almost pulled a hamstring in the draft room, jumping up and down because I was so mad,'' said Williams.

Think about how this might have changed the current landscape of pro football. A year later, Buffalo wouldn't have been in the market when New England went to deal Drew Bledsoe, so Bledsoe would have been traded elsewhere in 2002. It's likely Brees would still be quarterbacking the Bills. "I'll tell you this: I wouldn't be sitting here in New Orleans right now,'' said Williams, who's certain the drafting of Brees would have led to a great marriage between he, Brees and the Bills, and he'd still be the Bills coach.

The biggest mystery is what would have happened to the Saints without Brees. In 2005, Hurricane Katrina hit, the Saints became orphans of the storm, and they finished the season with a 3-13 record. The next spring, desperate to upgrade their quarterback situation over Aaron Brooks and Todd Bouman, New Orleans signed Brees -- jettisoned by San Diego after it gave Philip Rivers a six-year, $60-million deal.

The Saints became an American feel-good story. With a refurbished Superdome and Brees' leadership, the team won the NFC South and advanced to the conference title game. And with Brees playing so well over his first three years and keeping the Saints competitive and compelling, the team got a new stadium lease through 2025 out of the state of Louisiana. What if Brees hadn't come? Would the state have acted so aggressively to keep the team if it was floundering at 3-13 every year? My guess is, without massive public and legislative support, the team may have become the San Antonio Saints, because that's where owner Tom Benson would have been most inclined to move the team had it continued on a bad path.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/10/04/mmqb.week.4/4.html#ixzz0T48mp9Gt
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

Commissioner
10-05-2009, 08:07 AM
We would of ran Drew Brees out of town before he had a chance to be good in his 4th year, like he did in San Diego. Bill fans would of tossed him under the boss after his 3rd year and a 67.5 QB rating.

Luisito23
10-05-2009, 08:07 AM
Even if we had drafted Brees, he most likely wouldn't of gotten the time needed to be the QB that he is today, so if he didn't end up in N.O. it would of been somewhere else trust me.

LtFinFan66
10-05-2009, 08:19 AM
Fins could have had him too. That has been beat to death on Fins sites

Historian
10-05-2009, 08:23 AM
Bills fans would have called for his head.

Forward_Lateral
10-05-2009, 08:23 AM
Thanks for making us relive the past 10 ****ty drafts.

don137
10-05-2009, 08:30 AM
I am not convinced that Brees would of succeeded in Buffalo. I truly wonder if any QB coming out of college could of thrived with any of the Bills coaching staffs over the past decade.

trapezeus
10-05-2009, 08:42 AM
brees would have failed here. the lines from 2000 until now have been patchworked crap. At least this year, we are trying to address the lines long term, but brees wouldn't have had time to throw.

NorthCarBills
10-05-2009, 08:51 AM
Maybe -- was definitely an interesting story to hear on WGR this morning.

But it's also possible (maybe probable) that had we drafted Brees, our decade of disfunction in coaching and front office could have halted his growth to what we know him as today.

HHURRICANE
10-05-2009, 08:58 AM
Edwards is already getting run out of town playing behind the ****tiest o-line in football. And he's had half the time that Brees had in San Diego.

You people might want to look at the big picture first before wishing for another QB.

The game starts with the lines which the FO said it was adressing 3 years ago. Nothing has changed.