• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • psubills62
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2008

Draft: QB or lines?

Since people have begun talking about the draft, I figure I might as well. It seems obvious that Jauron won't last past this season. I know that the Bills don't always follow the obvious path, but it's going to happen eventually and there are still 12 more games for Jauron to lead other incompetents by example.

That being said, I'd like to bring up a point that I consider valid. A lot of people see the success of Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, and Mark Sanchez and want to grab a rookie QB right away.

I personally consider Matt Ryan to be something of a fluke. Among those three rookie QB's, he alone (imo) was a major reason for his team's success. As of right now, in Flacco and Sanchez's rookie years, both of them look to be more of game-managers that let the running game and defense dominate.

So my question is, if we get a top-ten draft pick this year, with Edwards on the way down and Jauron fired...would you want to draft along the lines so we can dominate the LOS, then in 2011 draft a top QB? Or draft a top QB right away and then build around him? In my opinion, Sanchez and Flacco are examples of the first method, while Stafford is an example of the second.

As good as our run defense was in the first two weeks, giving up 200+ yards rushing per game the last two weeks has been utterly demoralizing. Maybe it's the LB's faults, but either way we're going to need to improve the defense.

Anyway, what are your thoughts? Draft for a solid team, let someone QB for a year and then bring in a rookie QB? Or maybe we should get a rookie QB and let him sit the bench to learn for a year? What is your preference?
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings
  • EDS
    • Jan 2003

Re: Draft: QB or lines?

Tough call. Hopefully the organization can at least use the rest of the season to evaluate whether any of the young players are keepers or need replacement.

Comment

• ddaryl
      Everything I post is sexual inuendo
      • Jan 2005

We need a QB...

QB 1st.. We need a QB that can actually hit a moving target

We need to bring in a few qualtiy FA OL and continue to groom Bell Wood and Levitre and even Scott... among a few others, but we need some solid FA vets that can round out this crew

Comment

• casdhf
        • Jul 2002

Are there going to be any LBs worth a top 10 pick? LT or QB is a viable option, depending on who is available when we pick.
        Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
        cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• SabreEleven
          • Aug 2002

I say draft Line..we've drafted QB's the last few years and where has that got us? The game starts in the trenches.

Comment

• psubills62
            Legendary Zoner
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by casdhf
            Are there going to be any LBs worth a top 10 pick? LT or QB is a viable option, depending on who is available when we pick.
            Well, I was thinking more along the lines of DE or DT (like Carlos Dunlap at DE or Ndamukong Suh at DT), then pick up a good LB early in the first round. It definitely depends on if we're switching to a 3-4, as well. I'm just wondering if people prefer to have the pieces in place first then get the QB or grab the QB first and build around him.
            - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• TacklingDummy
              Unreachable Douche
              • Jul 2002

Most teams are built around QB's. Find a franchise QB and the rest will come.

Comment

• psubills62
                Legendary Zoner
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by TacklingDummy
                I think that raises another point though. Are franchise QB's built or do they come naturally prepared to be franchise QB's? It's the nature vs. nurture, but for QB's, I think.

For example, what if Losman or Edwards could have been franchise QB's under the right coaches or system? If they had been nurtured correctly, and been behind solid OL's, would they have developed to the point where they could have been franchise QB's? Would Tom Brady have become a franchise QB if he didn't go to the Patriots?

Also, it seems as though there are no guaranteed QB prospects anymore. Too many college QB's play in the spread, which often doesn't translate to the pros. It's extremely difficult to find a nearly-guaranteed franchise QB.
                - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• bigbub2352
                  • Feb 2005

Draft the QB, u can find gems in the 2nd rd and later to play both Oline and Dline positions
                  problem is under this ******* regime we only take undersized LBers, slow white TEs and DBs in the later rounds
                  we got a good core in the middle of the Oline and could have something in Bell and when butler comes back so Oline needs real Depth and someone to push both Bell and Butler for playing time

On the Dline well the Dline is a joke Schobel and Stroud and Kelsay are severly over paid Kyle williams is severely overratted and media driven to be some awesome Dlineman
                  and our depth is a joke who plays a DT at 280lbs anymore? Spencer Johnson sucks and McCargo LOL what a joke
                  we need Dline and Oline depth and we need Dline starters

So i say go QB and work your way down the Lines
                  XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• SabreEleven
                    • Aug 2002

Originally posted by psubills62
                    I think that raises another point though. Are franchise QB's built or do they come naturally prepared to be franchise QB's? It's the nature vs. nurture, but for QB's, I think.

For example, what if Losman or Edwards could have been franchise QB's under the right coaches or system? If they had been nurtured correctly, and been behind solid OL's, would they have developed to the point where they could have been franchise QB's? Would Tom Brady have become a franchise QB if he didn't go to the Patriots?

Also, it seems as though there are no guaranteed QB prospects anymore. Too many college QB's play in the spread, which often doesn't translate to the pros. It's extremely difficult to find a nearly-guaranteed franchise QB.
                    Good post, would they be talking about Roesleinenburger the same if the Bills had the balls to move up to draft him.

Comment

• psubills62
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by SabreEleven
                      Good post, would they be talking about Roesleinenburger the same if the Bills had the balls to move up to draft him.
                      Exactly. Roethlisberger in his first year was carried by the defense. He really seemed to come into his own last year, especially during the Super Bowl. Now he's doing pretty darn well passing the ball. I have serious, serious doubts that he would have done that with the Bills and no defense to help him.
                      - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

we have talent. The OL has talent. The problem is coaching. Dick is soft. Doesn't hold anyone accountable so the players too don't hold anyone accountable. The coach is not stepping up which is why no one is stepping up either.

I think Trent is still coachable with the right Coach. Problem is, the HC has no balls and plays not to lose therefore the players are the same.
                        sacrifice1
                        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• ddaryl
                          Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by SabreEleven
                          I say draft Line..we've drafted QB's the last few years and where has that got us? The game starts in the trenches.
                          we picked up 2 OL and DE in the 1st 2 rds last year. We have solid DT's

bottom line is Trent can't hit a moving target. Those long passes have mostly been WR adjustments

the crossing patterns he throws are almost always off target. he seems to only really feel comfortable throwing hte button hook pattern which is why we don't see much YAC. His accuracy just sucks when the target is moving or he has to thread a needle

This team needs a QB that can hit the quick slant or the crossing pattern... that alone will take tremendous pressure off the OL and force D's to chage the way they play....

but we sure could use another OT and a DE as well as 2-3 LB's on top of a QB

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                            • Mar 2005

Put Sanchez on this team and see how good a pick that would be. Question answered.

Get the lines in place now.

Comment

• MDFINFAN
                              • Jun 2003

Originally posted by TacklingDummy
                              That method doesn't work too well... All the young QB's of today who are having some success already had a good OL in front of them.. Flacco, Ryan, and Sanchez all have good OL's.. When I go back to Marino, his early success, on the heels of a OL that had just come off a super bowl.. You must build the trenches first..Nothing happens without them. They control the game on both sides of the ball.. Looking at your OL yesterday had to scare a QB.. I think Edwards problems is worrying when that hit is going to take place vs paying attention down field.. I think it leads to poor foot work, which is why he's off a little... You could see the same with C. Henne.. nervous, first game, and that led to bad foot work which meant inaccurate passes.. Edward won't say it, but I think he's scare as hell he's going to be the next brady's injury...I don't think he trust his OL...and that impacts his play.. So go for as much Linemen as you can get in this next draft...both O and D...start there with some studs and you see your whole team change... Get the skill players later..

Reach for the stars

Comment

Working...
                              X