View Full Version : Rodney Harrison and Ray Lewis diss Tom Brady

Syderick
10-05-2009, 10:30 AM
The controversial roughing the passer on Tom Brady:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSSnQrhUKpE

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/12311933

psubills62
10-05-2009, 10:34 AM
That was a pretty horrid call and Brady ALWAYS whines like a little girl. It was a bunch of crap, and I gained a tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny smidgen of respect for Rodney Harrison for calling Brady out about it.

Ickybaluky
10-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Rodney was kidding about Brady, teasing him. They are good friends, and the media is taking something he said and making it out to be criticism of Brady. He was smiling when he said it.

The larger point is true. There were 3 roughing the passer calls in the game, and none of them should be called. They are going over-the-top to protect the QB in the NFL, and are in danger of taking the physical aspect out of the game.

I understand people pay to see the top QBs, but they have gone too far. It is to the point where they are going to make defenders timid, because they are going to worry about getting a penalty for just hitting the QB.

Mr. Miyagi
10-05-2009, 11:32 AM
They are going over-the-top to protect the QB in the NFL, and are in danger of taking the physical aspect out of the game.
They are going over the top to protect the poster boy Brady. I haven't seen many other QBs including Manning to get coddled like that.

psubills62
10-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Rodney was kidding about Brady, teasing him. They are good friends, and the media is taking something he said and making it out to be criticism of Brady. He was smiling when he said it.

The larger point is true. There were 3 roughing the passer calls in the game, and none of them should be called. They are going over-the-top to protect the QB in the NFL, and are in danger of taking the physical aspect out of the game.

I understand people pay to see the top QBs, but they have gone too far. It is to the point where they are going to make defenders timid, because they are going to worry about getting a penalty for just hitting the QB.

Joking or not, what Harrison said was absolutely and positively true. It's gotten to the point where Brady seems to expect the help from the officials. And while Edwards has gotten a call or two that I don't think he should have gotten (roughing the passer, that is), they weren't even close to Brady.

Miyagi is right...Brady's the main one getting protected by these calls.

I'm of the opinion that if the QB doesn't fall down, it's not a penalty. I'm sorry, but if Brady is still standing and right after getting touched is pointing down at the guy and the alleged "foul" then there's no way anything should be called.

There's a line between being competitive and being whiny, and Brady crossed it a long time ago.

Michael82
10-05-2009, 12:25 PM
Joking or not, what Harrison said was absolutely and positively true. It's gotten to the point where Brady seems to expect the help from the officials. And while Edwards has gotten a call or two that I don't think he should have gotten (roughing the passer, that is), they weren't even close to Brady.

Miyagi is right...Brady's the main one getting protected by these calls.

I'm of the opinion that if the QB doesn't fall down, it's not a penalty. I'm sorry, but if Brady is still standing and right after getting touched is pointing down at the guy and the alleged "foul" then there's no way anything should be called.

There's a line between being competitive and being whiny, and Brady crossed it a long time ago.

Brady is a whiny little *****. But he's still the league's goldenboy. So they are going to do everything they can to protect him! :ill:

justasportsfan
10-05-2009, 12:45 PM
Meh, as much as I hate Brady we have our own little girl at qb who's everyones *****.

yordad
10-05-2009, 12:52 PM

I understand people pay to see the top QBs, but they have gone too far. It is to the point where they are going to make defenders timid, because they are going to worry about getting a penalty for just hitting the QB.Kidding? LOL, that is like running over a little kids bike with your car, then jumping out and saying "just kidding".

That is like beating your wife, then saying "just kidding".

it is like shooting your dog, and saying "just kidding".

I mean, the damage is done man, the cat is out the bag. Even his (ex)teammates know he is a cry baby.

T-Long
10-05-2009, 01:29 PM
Kidding? LOL, that is like running over a little kids bike with your car, then jumping out and saying "just kidding".

I mean, the damage is done man, the cat is out the bag. Even his (ex)teammates know he is a cry baby.

Brady knew he was kidding. Here is what he said today: "Rodney's been fined more than any player in the history of the NFL so I can understand why he's sensitive to cheap shots on the quarterback. Rodney's like my brother, man. I love Rodney. There's nothing he could ever say that could bother me."

Ickybaluky
10-05-2009, 01:33 PM
Kidding? LOL, that is like running over a little kids bike with your car, then jumping out and saying "just kidding".

I realize you guys are lashing out because Brady consistently beats the Bills and you are mad because your team sucks yet again, nonetheless:

LINK (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2009/10/harrison_surpri.html)

Harrison, who during an interview with WEEI's "The Dale and Holley Show" this morning said he had received about 30 e-mails and 30 texts complaining about his comments, explained that no serious criticism of Brady was intended at all. He was simply taking a good-natured jab at his friend.

"My gosh, it's unbelievable, the kind of backlash with this," Harrison told hosts Dale Arnold and Michael Holley. "Tom and I we've been friends for years. There's no other person, no other football player maybe other than Junior Seau that I have more respect for.''

"I texted Tom and told him, 'Hey, Tom, I'm going to bust your chops a little bit at halftime.' It was a joke, and everyone's getting all bent out of shape," Harrison said.

"This guy's directly responsible for me having two Super Bowl rings on my fingers, and you think I'm going to call him out? It's one thing to criticize a guy out if he's not playing well. But to question a guy like Tom Brady, who I feel like is one of the toughest guys I've ever been around . . . It's totally absurd, ridiculous, that people would actually think that I would take a shot at Tom Brady."

Harrison was making a point about it being a bad call and took a good-natured jab at his close friend. You guys are missing the whole point. This isn't about Brady or the Pats, it is about the sissification of the NFL.

Bulldog
10-05-2009, 01:54 PM
I realize you guys are lashing out because Brady consistently beats the Bills and you are mad because your team sucks yet again, nonetheless:

LINK (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2009/10/harrison_surpri.html)

Harrison was making a point about it being a bad call and took a good-natured jab at his close friend. You guys are missing the whole point. This isn't about Brady or the Pats, it is about the sissification of the NFL.

And you're clearly blinded by your love of the Patriots. Brady is handled differently than any other QB in the NFL, and if you can't see that or refuse to acknowledge it, thats your problem. That roughing the passer call was complete BS, and it's not just disgruntled Bills fans talking about it. I wish I had a clip of Trent Dilfer discussing it on ESPN last night. The rules are crap to begin with, and the refs lack of consistancy with regards to that call make it even worse.

SquishDaFish
10-05-2009, 01:56 PM
NE39 bro I agree with you and all but dont take cheap shots like that man. I have more respect as a NE fan of you then that.

SquishDaFish
10-05-2009, 01:57 PM
But NE39 Brady is babied by the NFL and the Refs which is pure bull****. Im sick of the way they coddle him and watching him point down at the guy yestrday yelling to the ref was gay so he should be wearing a skirt.

psubills62
10-05-2009, 02:01 PM
And you're clearly blinded by your love of the Patriots. Brady is handled differently than any other QB in the NFL, and if you can't see that or refuse to acknowledge it, thats your problem. That roughing the passer call was complete BS, and it's not just disgruntled Bills fans talking about it. I wish I had a clip of Trent Dilfer discussing it on ESPN last night. The rules are crap to begin with, and the refs lack of consistancy with regards to that call make it even worse.

I've only seen one roughing the passer call that was as questionable as the multiple calls Brady has gotten over the years. I think there was a game last year where someone hit Kerry Collins' arm when he was in the act of throwing and they called it.

But come on, NE39...we'd be saying this even if we were 4-0 and the Pats were 0-4. I would be anyways. This has been an issue for a while. And yes, the NFL has a huge problem with it, but the main beneficiary of these rules has consistently been Tom Brady. And somehow, at key times too.

yordad
10-05-2009, 02:23 PM
You guys are missing the whole point.No, you are. The point is it is true.

Ickybaluky
10-05-2009, 02:37 PM
I've only seen one roughing the passer call that was as questionable as the multiple calls Brady has gotten over the years. I think there was a game last year where someone hit Kerry Collins' arm when he was in the act of throwing and they called it.

But come on, NE39...we'd be saying this even if we were 4-0 and the Pats were 0-4. I would be anyways. This has been an issue for a while. And yes, the NFL has a huge problem with it, but the main beneficiary of these rules has consistently been Tom Brady. And somehow, at key times too.

I disagree. I see roughing called on a lot of QB hits where it shouldn't. None of the calls from yesterday should have been called, two on the Ravens and another on the Pats.

In the opener, Adalius Thomas and Vince Wilfork were called for bad personal fouls on a sacks of Edwards. Neither should have been called. How are guys supposed to hit the QB? It is just making defensive players tentative and . It is making the league soft. You should be able to hit the QB like any other player.

The league is going soft. They are calling too much ticky-tack stuff and ruining the game. I don't know that guys like Dick Butkus, Jack Lambert or Ronnie Lott could play by today's rules. Those are all-time great players, and it would be sad to think of a league without those kinds of guys. If you take the collisions out of football you will ruin the game. It will turn into touch football.

Ickybaluky
10-05-2009, 02:37 PM
NE39 bro I agree with you and all but dont take cheap shots like that man. I have more respect as a NE fan of you then that.

What cheap shot?

psubills62
10-05-2009, 02:49 PM
I disagree. I see roughing called on a lot of QB hits where it shouldn't. None of the calls from yesterday should have been called, two on the Ravens and another on the Pats.

In the opener, Adalius Thomas and Vince Wilfork were called for bad personal fouls on a sacks of Edwards. Neither should have been called. How are guys supposed to hit the QB? It is just making defensive players tentative and . It is making the league soft. You should be able to hit the QB like any other player.

The league is going soft. They are calling too much ticky-tack stuff and ruining the game. I don't know that guys like Dick Butkus, Jack Lambert or Ronnie Lott could play by today's rules. Those are all-time great players, and it would be sad to think of a league without those kinds of guys. If you take the collisions out of football you will ruin the game. It will turn into touch football.

I don't think the one on Wilfork should have been called. The one on Thomas in the opener was borderline.

But are you seriously comparing these hits to the ones on Brady? Let's see, Adalius Thomas threw Edwards to the ground. Wilfork tackled Edwards around the knees. In both cases, they tackled Edwards and Edwards ended up on the ground. How are those even remotely close to Suggs brushing up against Brady's knee?

SquishDaFish
10-05-2009, 02:51 PM
What cheap shot?

We all know we suck but dont need it pointed out

Ickybaluky
10-05-2009, 02:53 PM
I don't think the one on Wilfork should have been called. The one on Thomas in the opener was borderline.

But are you seriously comparing these hits to the ones on Brady? Let's see, Adalius Thomas threw Edwards to the ground. Wilfork tackled Edwards around the knees. In both cases, they tackled Edwards and Edwards ended up on the ground. How are those even remotely close to Suggs brushing up against Brady's knee?

You can argue degree, but I see a lot of bad calls. I agree that was a bad call but a flag-happy crew.

The issue is the effect it has on the game overall. You can argue a call effecting a single game, but the big issue is the pattern of calls and how it effects defenders' play. Guys are going to get more timid on defense.

Ickybaluky
10-05-2009, 02:55 PM
We all know we suck but dont need it pointed out

I was just stating something everyone else here is stating. That doesn't mean it can't turn around. I still think the Bills probably level off around 7-9 overall, but right now they suck. That was sorry performance yesterday.

I'm not rubbing it in, but that's the fact.

Dr. Lecter
10-05-2009, 03:13 PM
I was just stating something everyone else here is stating. That doesn't mean it can't turn around. I still think the Bills probably level off around 7-9 overall, but right now they suck. That was sorry performance yesterday.

I'm not rubbing it in, but that's the fact.

7-9??

Are you high??

5 wins at most. Probably 3 or 4. Hell, maybe only 2.

Dr. Lecter
10-05-2009, 03:16 PM

Wilfork was a real bad call.

Thomas not as much. That has been called for years.

Mr. Pink
10-05-2009, 03:25 PM
I don't think Harrison and Lewis were blasting Brady personally, they were just using those two calls as an example of how close this league is getting to just putting a red vest on QBs during the games that count.

It's laughable the amount of weak roughing calls I've seen so far this year.

And every year it seems to get worse.

Ickybaluky
10-05-2009, 03:39 PM
7-9??

Are you high??

5 wins at most. Probably 3 or 4. Hell, maybe only 2.

That is because they just lost. IMO, there really isn't as much separating NFL teams as you think. A team could look like complete crap one week and have a great game the next.

The Bills will probably lack consistency, but they aren't as bad as yesterday's game. They will win some games.

Ickybaluky
10-05-2009, 03:39 PM
I don't think Harrison and Lewis were blasting Brady personally, they were just using those two calls as an example of how close this league is getting to just putting a red vest on QBs during the games that count.

It's laughable the amount of weak roughing calls I've seen so far this year.

And every year it seems to get worse.

This is exactly what I'm saying. I don't blame the Ravens for being mad, but there is a larger issue here. The league is going too far protecting the QBs, and it is going to effect defensive play overall.

Dr. Lecter
10-05-2009, 03:42 PM
That is because they just lost. IMO, there really isn't as much separating NFL teams as you think. A team could look like complete crap one week and have a great game the next.

The Bills will probably lack consistency, but they aren't as bad as yesterday's game. They will win some games.

I said that before the season though. I have said 3-5 wins since the end of last season.

Look at their longterm trend. They finished last year 2-8. They start this year 1-3. 3-11 in the last 14, and 4-12 in the last 16.

I do agree they are not as bad yesterday and getting guys like Whitner (as much as he bashed here), Poz and Bell back will help. But they still are not very good and play some damn good teams the rest of the season.

DynaPaul
10-05-2009, 03:57 PM
I realize you guys are lashing out because Brady consistently beats the Bills and you are mad because your team sucks yet again...

Actually, I don't care if Belichick and Brady were on the 49'ers or Detroit Lions. I'd still hate them as much as I hate them.

Bulldog
10-05-2009, 07:30 PM
This is exactly what I'm saying. I don't blame the Ravens for being mad, but there is a larger issue here. The league is going too far protecting the QBs, and it is going to effect defensive play overall.

And I agree with you that the rules blow. But my point is that it gets even worse when Brady is playing. That call yesterday was absolutely pathetic. And the fact that Brady was pleading with the official and he got the call makes it even worse. So in one sense you hate the rule, but you don't take issue with Brady pleading for the call you so despise?

Ickybaluky
10-05-2009, 07:45 PM
And I agree with you that the rules blow. But my point is that it gets even worse when Brady is playing. That call yesterday was absolutely pathetic. And the fact that Brady was pleading with the official and he got the call makes it even worse. So in one sense you hate the rule, but you don't take issue with Brady pleading for the call you so despise?

No. I don't think the pleading had a big effect on the game. Belichick told the team that the crew reffing the game called the most penalties of any NFL officiating crew, so it is natural to look for calls given that knowledge.

The rule is the rule, you can't do anything about that one way or the other. I think they even out in the long run. I'm worried on the long-term effect on the game of not only that rule, but others that restrict defensive players.

Syderick
10-09-2009, 11:58 AM
Ask Vic Carucci:
http://chat.nfl.com/front/index/487

So Vic, I heard Ray Lewis's and Ed Reed's comments following last week's game, about the referee's being too protective of the QBs. Even though they weren't fined, were they still wrong to say those things?

Vic Carucci, Senior Columnist, NFL.com

I think, and it's only a guess, that probably the biggest reason they weren't fined for their remarks is that the league understands there is inconsistency when it comes to roughing-the-passer calls. Some officiating crews call it much tighter than others, and the NFL and everyone else around the league knew that Ron Winter calls it tighter than pretty much any other official in the game. As I point out in a piece I wrote for NFL.com this week, the NFL instructs officials RE roughing-the-passer penalties, when in doubt, throw the flag. Winter takes that more literally than other officials, so the complaints from the Raven players were to be expected and not punished because there was, clearly, some gray area. I also found, in my research for the piece, that players believe there is favoritism for certain QBs, and even if the NFL wouldn't admit that, it's understood that that is how a lot of people (players, coaches, etc.) feel around the league.

psubills62
10-09-2009, 12:09 PM
http://www.theonion.com/content/from_print/tom_brady_clearly_receiving

paladin warrior
10-09-2009, 01:24 PM
Tom B is a biggest :nuk: baby. Tom. B want mommy, I bet his mom will slap him :*****slap: hard. She will say "GROW UP TOM!! DONT BE a SUCH BABY!!!!