PDA

View Full Version : Captain Checkdown doesn't go deep for Bills

Michael82
10-05-2009, 12:00 PM
I know this article was from Friday, but it really seemed to fit after another pathetic game from Trent and I also wanted to share the statistics that Tim Graham used in the article, showing his yardage by distance. I would be curious what it looks like for his career.

To see just how much Edwards deserved his Captain Checkdown moniker -- "Trentative Checkwards" hasn't caught on -- I broke out some situational passing numbers provided by ESPN Stats & Information, which tracks every NFL play.

Short passing games have gained popularity in recent years. Many teams employ that strategy, and I thought maybe Edwards wasn't too far off the norm.

Turns out, Captain Checkdown is quite appropriate.

Edwards' average pass travels 7.7 yards in the air. That's tied for 26th in the league among quarterbacks with at least 10 attempts.

As the accompanying chart shows, Edwards' stats plummet the farther his passes fly.

<TABLE border=0 align=center><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=500 bgColor=#c0c0c0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=1 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#005b00 colSpan=9>Trent Edwards' passing performance by distance </TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#d6d6d6>Distance</TD><TD bgColor=#d6d6d6 align=middle>Comp.</TD><TD bgColor=#d6d6d6 align=middle>Att.</TD><TD bgColor=#d6d6d6 align=middle>Pct.</TD><TD bgColor=#d6d6d6 align=middle>Yards</TD><TD bgColor=#d6d6d6 align=middle>TD</TD><TD bgColor=#d6d6d6 align=middle>Int.</TD><TD bgColor=#d6d6d6 align=middle>Rating</TD><TD bgColor=#d6d6d6 align=middle>Rank</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#ffffff>Under 11 yards</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff align=middle>49</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff align=middle>70</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff align=middle>70.0 </TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff align=middle>424</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff align=middle>2 </TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff align=middle>1</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff align=middle>89.2</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff align=middle>(14)</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#f4f4f4>11-20 yards</TD><TD bgColor=#f4f4f4 align=middle>5</TD><TD bgColor=#f4f4f4 align=middle>13</TD><TD bgColor=#f4f4f4 align=middle>38.5</TD><TD bgColor=#f4f4f4 align=middle>99</TD><TD bgColor=#f4f4f4 align=middle>0</TD><TD bgColor=#f4f4f4 align=middle>0</TD><TD bgColor=#f4f4f4 align=middle>65.9</TD><TD bgColor=#f4f4f4 align=middle>(23)</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#ffffff>21-plus yards</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff align=middle>2</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff align=middle>8</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff align=middle>25.0</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff align=middle>75</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff align=middle>2</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff align=middle>1</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff align=middle>66.1</TD><TD bgColor=#ffffff align=middle>(20)</TD></TR><TR><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff99" bgColor=#f4f4f4>All</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff99" bgColor=#f4f4f4 align=middle>56</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff99" bgColor=#f4f4f4 align=middle>91</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff99" bgColor=#f4f4f4 align=middle>61.5</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff99" bgColor=#f4f4f4 align=middle>598</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff99" bgColor=#f4f4f4 align=middle>4</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff99" bgColor=#f4f4f4 align=middle>2</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff99" bgColor=#f4f4f4 align=middle>86.2</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff99" bgColor=#f4f4f4 align=middle>(T-16)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post?id=4056

Michael82
10-05-2009, 12:02 PM
See...one of the things that many of us are *****ing about isn't that he doesn't go deep. It's that he doesn't even throw the intermediate passes. 5/13 for 99 yards is ****ing pathetic for those passes! :ill:

PECKERWOOD
10-05-2009, 12:05 PM
Captain Checkdown sticks, I like that nickname for him.

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
10-05-2009, 12:05 PM
See...one of the things that many of us are *****ing about isn't that he doesn't go deep. It's that he doesn't even throw the intermediate passes. 5/13 for 99 yards is ****ing pathetic for those passes! :ill:

I agree, why can't he find those intermediate throws? To me he is starting to look a lot like Rob Johnson, a deer in headlights!

Michael82
10-05-2009, 12:08 PM
I agree, why can't he find those intermediate throws? To me he is starting to look a lot like Rob Johnson, a deer in headlights!

That's the first player I think of when I watch Trent Edwards play lately. Rob Johnson and he's just as injury prone too. :ill:

PECKERWOOD
10-05-2009, 12:11 PM
I do want him in Buffalo for a very long time, though.

I don't want us to burn our bridges with Trent, he can stay here as the QB and eventually the backup when we find somebody better.

yordad
10-05-2009, 12:11 PM
That's the first player I think of when I watch Trent Edwards play lately. Rob Johnson and he's just as injury prone too. :ill:But with a weaker arm. :ill:

Michael82
10-05-2009, 12:13 PM
I do want him in Buffalo for a very long time, though.

I don't want us to burn our bridges with Trent, he can stay here as the QB and eventually the backup when we find somebody better.

I don't. I'm ready to throw him off the Peace Bridge. I'm sick of him and can't see it working with him as our backup.

TacklingDummy
10-05-2009, 12:16 PM
Not too many successful QB's complete passing when they are on their back.

Michael82
10-05-2009, 12:19 PM

:yawn: Do I need to remind you about all the sacks that Roethlisberger took last year? Do I need to remind you about the times that he slammed to the turf immediately after he threw the ball? Even when Edwards has time, he is confused and doesn't know what to do with the ball, other than dump it off. :ill:

justasportsfan
10-05-2009, 12:20 PM
he wasn't on his back when he threw the INT/TD , when he overthrew TO, when he missed TO ,etc.etc.

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
10-05-2009, 12:21 PM

But if it takes you 10 seconds to read the defense what do you expect? Trent takes to long to read the defense, why do you think he says in the press conferences he has to go back and look at the film? Because there is a rewind button!

TacklingDummy
10-05-2009, 12:23 PM
The top 6 teams that have allowed the fewest sacks, Colts, Falcons, Eagles, Giants, Saints, and NE.

Combined record of 19-3.

Bottom 6 teams: Bills, Browns, KC, Fins, SF, GB.

Combined record of 7-16.

TacklingDummy
10-05-2009, 12:24 PM
But if it takes you 10 seconds to read the defense what do you expect? Right because he's had 10 seconds, hell he's lucky to get 3.

Jan Reimers
10-05-2009, 12:25 PM
The intermediate throw oftimes requires more arm strength - more zip on the ball - than the longer, lofted pass. I don't think Trent can throw that hard, flat intermediate pass.

Michael82
10-05-2009, 12:32 PM
The intermediate throw oftimes requires more arm strength - more zip on the ball - than the longer, lofted pass. I don't think Trent can throw that hard, flat intermediate pass.

And that's another reason why it won't work for him in Buffalo and why he needs to get the **** out of here!

ddaryl
10-05-2009, 12:38 PM

that's why he must get rid of the ball sooner

The guy can't hit a moving target. The few times he tries he is usally off target...

How many crossing patterns has he hit the receiver in stride. How many quick slants. How many 3 step drop plays ? Those plays alone will give him more time down the road if he was able to force the opposing D to respect those plays...

Trent is just inconsistent at hitting the moving target. Which is why he does his best work as mr checkdown. He goes thru his reads and finds the WR that is sitting in space but has no chance of breaking one because the D is giving that to him.

Sure he makes the occasional play but overall his accuracy is unpredictable when the WR is running in full stride

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
10-05-2009, 12:41 PM
Right because he's had 10 seconds, hell he's lucky to get 3.

All I'm saying is he takes too long to read the defense. Some of the sacks hes had is because he holds onto the ball too long. The guy just can't figure out the 3-4 defense. Look, New Orleans switched to a 3-4 defense when playing the Bills because they even knew Trent couldn't figure out the 3-4.

justasportsfan
10-05-2009, 12:44 PM
The top 6 teams that have allowed the fewest sacks, Colts, Falcons, Eagles, Giants, Saints, and NE.

Combined record of 19-3.

Bottom 6 teams: Bills, Browns, KC, Fins, SF, GB.

Combined record of 7-16.
so you're telling us that Trent has nothing to do with some of his sacks.

Although you say you think TE sucks, you sure defend him like a licker.

TacklingDummy
10-05-2009, 12:45 PM
All I'm saying is he takes too long to read the defense. Some of the sacks hes had is because he holds onto the ball too long. The guy just can't figure out the 3-4 defense. Look, New Orleans switched to a 3-4 defense when playing the Bills because they even knew Trent couldn't figure out the 3-4.
I don't disagree but the o-line shares just as much blame as Trent. This might be the worst o-line in Bills history.

Yasgur's Farm
10-05-2009, 12:47 PM
Captain Trent Checkdown takes his orders from Admiral Dick Tucker.

TacklingDummy
10-05-2009, 12:48 PM
so you're telling us that Trent has nothing to do with some of his sacks.

Didn't say that at all. It's a team game, plenty of blame to go around. Trent's not the only one who sucked on offense this year, Bell, Chambers, Lynch, 2 rookies, Hagwhatever, all have sucked at times too.

To use a Licker saying, Peyton Manning couldn't produce behind this line of trash.

justasportsfan
10-05-2009, 12:48 PM
I don't disagree but the o-line shares just as much blame as Trent. This might be the worst o-line in Bills history.

Didn't say that at all. It's a team game, plenty of blame to go around. Trent's not the only one who sucked on offense this year, Bell, Chambers, Lynch, 2 rookies, Hagwhatever, all have sucked at times too.

To use a Licker saying, Peyton Manning couldn't produce behind this line of trash.

lol. You sound like those posters who made the same excuses for JP. :snicker:

OH so now it's a team game except when you bring up qb w-l record?

TacklingDummy
10-05-2009, 12:50 PM
lol. You sound like those posters who made the same excuses for JP. :snicker:

Thanks, I've heard them enough the past 4 years, they are burned into memory. :up: Difference is I'm not claiming Trent is the next Steve Young, Farve, Montana, Marino, where as the Lickers did for JP.

The only comparison I've made us Trent so far was to Todd Collins.

justasportsfan
10-05-2009, 12:56 PM
Thanks, I've heard them enough the past 4 years, they are burned into memory. :up: Difference is I'm not claiming Trent is the next Steve Young, Farve, Montana, Marino, where as the Lickers did for JP.

The only comparison I've made us Trent so far was to Todd Collins.
I never annointed JP anything either. All I ever said then is that he was set up to fail using the very same excuses youre coming uop with now.

It's a team game, plenty of blame to go around. Trent's not the only one who sucked on offense this year, Bell, Chambers, Lynch, 2 rookies, Hagwhatever, all have sucked at times too.

To use a Licker saying, Peyton Manning couldn't produce behind this line of trash..

OH so now it's a team game except when you bring up qb w-l record?.

yordad
10-05-2009, 01:16 PM
The only comparison I've made us Trent so far was to Todd Collins.I don't really see the comparison, but how are you making it and still defending TE all at the same time?

TacklingDummy
10-05-2009, 01:19 PM
I don't really see the comparison, but how are you making it and still defending TE all at the same time?
Are you saying the Bills o-line doesn't blow?

Michael82
10-05-2009, 03:05 PM
Captain Trent Checkdown takes his orders from Admiral Dick Tucker.
Good point. He definitely takes on Dick Jauron's personality. :ill:

Michael82
10-06-2009, 12:30 AM
BTW...seeing how it fits him perfectly, I am no longer going to call him Trent Edwards. His new name will now be Captain Checkdown until he learns how to use the rest of the field...

Night Train
10-06-2009, 03:26 AM
Anyone could complete 70% of their swing passes.

Kelly Holcomb lives !

YardRat
10-06-2009, 05:29 AM
One of the announcers mentioned a 'stat' during last nights game...Favre had thrown passes over 10 yards a total of 11 times the first 3 games this season (something like that). Just sayin'...

yordad
10-06-2009, 06:48 AM
Are you saying the Bills o-line doesn't blow?Oh no, and I don't know how you concluded that from what I did say. But, I am saying it isn't as bad as Trent is making it look.

Oh yeah, and did you see how bad Green Bays line was last night. They gave up like 10 sacks and and Aaron Rodgers still threw for like 400 yards (not exact stats).

Michael82
10-06-2009, 11:33 AM
Oh no, and I don't know how you concluded that from what I did say. But, I am saying it isn't as bad as Trent is making it look.

Oh yeah, and did you see how bad Green Bays line was last night. They gave up like 10 sacks and and Aaron Rodgers still threw for like 400 yards (not exact stats).
Good post! I mentioned the same thing last night...sure the Packers line is terrible, but Rodgers isn't a pussy and still manages to find his WRs.

yordad
10-06-2009, 11:41 AM
Good post! I mentioned the same thing last night...sure the Packers line is terrible, but Rodgers isn't a pussy and still manages to find his WRs.I think u gave me the idea!

Syderick
10-08-2009, 08:39 AM
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/5594/checkdowntecmobowl.jpg

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
10-08-2009, 09:02 AM
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/5594/checkdowntecmobowl.jpg

Good old Tecmo bowl, that was a great game in its time.

justasportsfan
10-08-2009, 10:17 AM
One of the announcers mentioned a 'stat' during last nights game...Favre had thrown passes over 10 yards a total of 11 times the first 3 games this season (something like that). Just sayin'...thats not suprising since Farve is with a new team. I think thats what they did early on when he was with the jets . Cassel and Brady threw screen passes until they got comfortable .

Trents been with this team for quite sometime now and he still doesn't have chemistry with either Evans or TO. If he actually had the balls to throw the ball he may realize that he actually does have chemistry.

If you think about it, even Trent is miss firing his short passes too.

Michael82
10-08-2009, 12:07 PM
thats not suprising since Farve is with a new team. I think thats what they did early on when he was with the jets . Cassel and Brady threw screen passes until they got comfortable .

Trents been with this team for quite sometime now and he still doesn't have chemistry with either Evans or TO. If he actually had the balls to throw the ball he may realize that he actually does have chemistry.

If you think about it, even Trent is miss firing his short passes too.
Exactly! :hi5: