PDA

View Full Version : When was the last time watching the Bills was fun?

OpIv37
10-05-2009, 04:35 PM
I'm thinking it dates back to 2004 when we had the almost-playoff run. Ever since then, this team has been awful. No team wins every game, and being a fan is supposed to have ups and downs. But this is ridiculous. Where are the "ups"?

I used to be very animated when I watched the Bills. I'd jump up and cheer if something good happens. I'd get pissed and swear if something bad happens. Yesterday, the only time I even reacted was when Edwards through the INT that was returned to make it 10-0. After that, the team was just beaten down. There was no life left in them.

When we have 3rd and 4 on O, what's the point in getting excited? We all know we're not going to make it.

When they have 3rd and 7 and we're on D, what's the point in getting excited? We all know they are going to make it.

And then it hit me: I watch the games the same way Dick Jauron coaches: emotionless and with a blank stare, as if we're already beaten. WTF? Bills football will not be fun or exciting until this joker is run out of town.

Dr. Pepper
10-05-2009, 04:36 PM
since ive become a fan, they havent made the playoffs. so sad.

Meathead
10-05-2009, 04:48 PM
the first third of last season was pretty kewl

of course we now know that was an aberration but still

d1220
10-05-2009, 04:50 PM
The last time it was fun was the 31-3 opener against the Pats. It has been downhill since then.

cocamide
10-05-2009, 04:50 PM
I'm thinking it dates back to 2004 when we had the almost-playoff run. Ever since then, this team has been awful. No team wins every game, and being a fan is supposed to have ups and downs. But this is ridiculous. Where are the "ups"?

I used to be very animated when I watched the Bills. I'd jump up and cheer if something good happens. I'd get pissed and swear if something bad happens. Yesterday, the only time I eve reacted was when Edwards through the INT that was returned to make it 10-0. After that, the team was just beaten down. There was no life left in them.

When we have 3rd and 4 on O, what's the point in getting excited? We all know we're not going to make it.

When they have 3rd and 7 and we're on D, what's the point in getting excited? We all know they are going to make it.

And then it hit me: I watch the games the same way Dick Jauron coaches: emotionless and with a blank stare, as if we're already beaten. WTF? Bills football will not be fun or exciting until this joker is run out of town.

Great post, I could not agree more. I've had my friends over for the Dallas and New England Monday night games. Both are not Bills fans, but don't mind rooting for them (out of pity for me, I guess). They were getting excited when we were winning both of those games, and I think they were surprised that I never get excited when we're doing well. I kept saying, "We'll blow it eventually", and since they're not Bills fans, they say "There's no way you can lose this game!" We all know how those ended. I guess the point is: The good thing about football is the emotional thrill that you get from watching your team win (and even sometimes lose). But, it's absolutely no fun when you can't even enjoy your team when they're doing well because you know they'll blow it.

MassEffect218435
10-05-2009, 04:51 PM
2004 when McGahee was tearing the league a new one.

Joe Fo Sho
10-05-2009, 05:16 PM
First of all, I don't know how anyone can say watching us start 4-0 wasn't fun. Besides that, I was excited watching Losman, it was a hell of a lot more fun than watching this garbage s***pile try to hump a football yesterday.

I always remember having fun watching during the days of Kelly, Collins, Johnson and Flutie...But I was too young to know any better (cept Kelly).

Griff
10-05-2009, 05:48 PM
Week 2 was fun

TacklingDummy
10-05-2009, 06:20 PM
Maybe not to the haters but every week watching them is fun. The outcome not so much.

Mudflap1
10-05-2009, 06:24 PM
The good start last season was nice, but I thought it was a mirage. Too good to be true. So I didn't invest emotionally in the team.

2004 was fun, until the last game. I was really bummed out after that game, which tells me that I was pretty into the team and had hope.

2003's season opener was fun, throttling New England.

Before that, 2002 was fun for the first half of the year.

Earlier than that, it was the Wade era.

OpIv37
10-05-2009, 08:45 PM
First of all, I don't know how anyone can say watching us start 4-0 wasn't fun. Besides that, I was excited watching Losman, it was a hell of a lot more fun than watching this garbage s***pile try to hump a football yesterday.

I always remember having fun watching during the days of Kelly, Collins, Johnson and Flutie...But I was too young to know any better (cept Kelly).

I don't know if watching Losman was fun exactly, but he certainly kept us on the edge of our seats because he only did two things: throw 80 yard bombs for touchdowns or turn the ball over. At least that got a reaction out of me. This team can't even pull that off.

justasportsfan
10-05-2009, 08:58 PM
I don't know if watching Losman was fun exactly, but he certainly kept us on the edge of our seats because he only did two things: throw 80 yard bombs for touchdowns or turn the ball over. At least that got a reaction out of me. This team can't even pull that off.
he had his moments because he at least tried and if Trents nuts finally fall he may make those passes he made to lee last Sunday which were like the ones JP made , more often.

I'd rather he end up with an INT throwing down field than dinking and dunking that end up being a TD....for the other team.

BlackMetalNinja
10-05-2009, 09:06 PM
They throw rare moments of enjoyable football in there from time to time. The destruction in KC last year was certainly fun. As a big picture, it's been a long time however...

SABuffalo786
10-05-2009, 09:17 PM
I have yet to find a Bills team to call my own the way I'll always cherish the 2005-2006 Sabres or the 2002 US World Cup team.

Pretty sad...

Mr. Miyagi
10-05-2009, 09:19 PM
The last time it was fun was the 31-3 opener against the Pats. It has been downhill since then.
It was 31-0 and I agree.

d1220
10-05-2009, 09:31 PM
It was 31-0 and I agree.

Even better. Thanks! :)

Pinkerton Security
10-05-2009, 09:34 PM
I agree with JoeFoSho, i remember being excited (or scared) or something when Losman would "check down" ie. heave the ball as far as his arm could make it.

i still enjoy watching the bills every week, though i'll admit i couldnt watch past the 3rd quarter this week against the Phins. I rarely ever turn the game off early.

Prov401
10-05-2009, 10:20 PM
When we traded for Bledsoe. That year was fun. Our Offense was in the top 3 in the NFL, and Bledsoe had a pro-bowl year. Moulds and Price had over 100 receptions a piece, and Travis Henry ran wild. If we had a defense that year, we would have deffinitley won the AFC east, as the Jets won the division at 9-7. And I also think we would have made some noise in the playoffs.

Oaf
10-05-2009, 10:58 PM
2006 definitely had it's moments until the Tenn game that ended our p-off hopes.

BillsWin
10-05-2009, 11:01 PM
since ive become a fan, they havent made the playoffs. so sad.

So it is all your fault... :crack:

TheBrownBear
10-05-2009, 11:21 PM

psubills62
10-05-2009, 11:21 PM
I've been thinking about some cliches and analogies to describe being a Bills fan.

1) I used to tell people that I'm living and dying with every play. Now, it's just dying and dying. Any good play is followed immediately in my mind by, "how the heck will they screw it up this time?"

2) Being a Bills fan during a game is like being a main character in a Final Destination movie. Even if you escape death 1, 2, or 20 times, it IS coming for you. Whether an ambulance hits you in the street, or electric wires whip out and saw through you, the inevitable is coming. And if you live through the movie (i.e. the Bills win the game), you KNOW the producers are going to make another movie very soon that kills you off.

I agree, Op. Maybe if our team was good but just losing in close games, I could get excited. I could say "hey, look at our offense scoring points," or, "look at the defense getting tons of sacks." But it's just demoralizing how we lose, either blowouts or last-minute failures. I want to stop watching and save myself the agony but I can't seem to tear myself away.

I can't wait for the bye week, to be honest. That's the one week I can sit back and maybe enjoy football (depending on how my wife's team does, as well as fantasy football).

Cntrygal
10-06-2009, 01:12 PM
I enjoyed the game at KC last year (I was at that game).....

DynaPaul
10-06-2009, 02:37 PM
Last year up until week 7.

The Juice Is Loose
10-06-2009, 02:46 PM
no, last year wasn't fun because they barely eeked out wins against **** teams.

the last time i enjoyed the bills was the couple games leading up to the snowy game in cleveland. that was when trent and lynch were playing their best and i thought we were growing.

however our coaching staff has done all they can to teach them how to NOT play football, and they are now worse. lynch was my favorite player and now i don't even care. trent can get hit by a car for all i care.

here is a full list of the players i'd keep past this season:

done.

TigerJ
10-06-2009, 03:28 PM
Depends on what kind of period of time you're talking about. I had a ball at the home opener. Last Sunday, I turned the game off before halftime and only turned it back on a couple of brief periods in the second half to see what the score is. I figured I didn't need to subject myself to that sort of punishment.

Mudflap1
10-06-2009, 05:17 PM
J.P.'s first start against Houston was fun.