PDA

View Full Version : Hoisting the Cup closer to reality for Gionta

Michael82
05-27-2003, 12:32 PM
He has hoisted the Stanley Cup more times than he can remember, carrying it around the ice just as he had seen Wayne Gretzky and Mark Messier and Gordie Howe do.

Except the legends of hockey did it for real. Brian Gionta has only clutched Lord Stanley’s Cup in his dreams.

Now, however, he’s on the verge of making his dreams come true. Gionta and the New Jersey Devils begin play tonight in the Stanley Cup finals against the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim at Continental Airlines Arena in East Rutherford, N.J.

“When you’re playing mites and squirts -- every kid when he’s out in the back yard -- this is what every kid thinks about when he’s playing,” said Gionta, the Greece native and resident who is in his second NHL season with the Devils. “I can’t tell you how many times I’ve carried the Cup in my dreams, when you’re out there playing against your brothers and the neighborhood kids.” Go here for MORE.... (http://www.rochesterdandc.com/sports/general/0527story2_general.shtml)

Michael82
05-27-2003, 12:35 PM
That would be pretty cool. Maybe he can the cup to Rochester for a visit IF they win. :D