PDA

View Full Version : I bet Trent ends up having a good career.

Canadian'eh!
10-06-2009, 01:57 PM
The only question is where?

Sorry. I read a lot of these negative comments, and as often happens, I see no real insight. Just a bunch of "he played bad so he sucks at everything and i hate him" we get everytime someone ****s up.

Most of the biggest complainers where the same ones who claimed to be big supporters not that long ago.

Heard the same thing about how McKelvin stinks and they never would have drafted him after week 1.

I don't sway with whichever way the wind blows.

I STILL see potential in Trent. I think he can be a good starting QB. But I don't think he can be a good starting QB 1- with these coaches and 2- with a line this bad.

The kid wasn't a polished star coming out. He was a project with excellent intangibles. And that's what he STILL is. He struggles reading the 3-4. He struggles with confidence. But he is far brighter and has bigger awareness than Losman ever had. I never saw anything in Losman... not from day 1.

If this team could give him some better protection (it looked good the first 2 weeks, but it was unacceptable to let him play with Scott and Chambers) and most of all the Jauron and Co team.

I have no issue calling out a crappy player. I've questioned Whitner for 2 years. I've hated playing Ellison from Day 1. Losman too. Always HATED the hiring of Jauron.... I called signing TO a ticket selling move that would have no positive impact the day it happened (and I LIKE T.O. ... just that with Dick and this O, h was NEVER gonna be happy) So it's not that I'm a homer.

I think he CAN be fixed still (though he is teetering on the edge of having unfixable bad habits, if he isn't soon taught correctly), IF we get some legit coaching.

Otherwise I'm beting we will be letting him go, he;ll end up a backup on a team with a starting QB and some GOOD coaching, eventually get his shot to start through injury or something and end up surprising everyone.

Flame away. I won't argue he didn't played poorly. But I think there is a very legitmate reason.

The Juice Is Loose
10-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Trent was better in his first 2 games against New England and Baltimore.

This coaching staff has caused him to regress.

I basically feel that they have ruined him and any chance of being going. They've made him scared and tentative.

I don't think one coach can come in and him be "ohhhh so i'm supposed to THRROOOW IT"...

Its just time to cut it loose and move on. I say we should keep him, no reason to get rid of him...But a QB definately needs to be brought in to compete. Preferably someone like Kevin Kolb, who's been coached well and will want a shot. ala Matt Shaub.

Billz_fan
10-06-2009, 02:28 PM

I basically feel that they have ruined him and any chance of being going. They've made him scared and tentative.

I don't think one coach can come in and him be "ohhhh so i'm supposed to THRROOOW IT"...

Its just time to cut it loose and move on. I say we should keep him, no reason to get rid of him...But a QB definately needs to be brought in to compete. Preferably someone like Kevin Kolb, who's been coached well and will want a shot. ala Matt Shaub.

Don't faint Juice but I agree, I would like to see how Trent fairs with a different staff and a different scheme. Personally I think Trent could be a decent West Coast offense QB with the proper help.

psubills62
10-06-2009, 02:29 PM
I can agree.

I have a lot of trouble believing that two young, promising QB's (Losman and Edwards) regressing in their third years under the same coaches and both behind awful OL's is a coincidence.

Canadian'eh!
10-06-2009, 02:29 PM
Trent needs to be coached WHEN it's the proper time to let it go, what he's looking at so he can do it with CONFIDENCE, and that he needs to take risks at the proper times.

Sounds like the current coach. Gambles at the wrong times (punting 2 weeks ago in the 4th?, but will go for a 4th and 1 when he's up 7 in the 2nd Q), No confidence in his players, seems outcoached and clueless.

I'm telling you a guy like Mike Shanahan who made Jake Plummer look ok for a while, or a Bill Belichick (Brady, Cassel), or a Mike Holmgren (Favre, Hasselbeck) would all do well by Trent.

HHURRICANE
10-06-2009, 02:40 PM
I love the thread!! You shouldn't get bashed becuase everything you just said was totally legitimate.

Trent is going to be the casualty of bad coaching and a terrible organziation.

He had a line that could pass block last year. There was absolutely no reason, other than money, to dismantle the entire o-line. We needed a Center. If the argument was that we weren't good enough we still could have had players developing behind last year's starters.

We needed a Center and an additional receiving weapon. So in the process of getting Owens and Hangartner we decided that the LT, LG, RG and RT position needed to be changed. That's just plain insanity and all of the problems start right there.

Philagape
10-06-2009, 02:41 PM
I think his main problem right now is psychological, and if he can't get past that, he's done as a starter. He does not respond well when he has to take the team on his back.
The capability is there. We saw it early in his career, before the Wilson hit. It's what won over a lot of fans here. But right now he's his own worst enemy.

Ebenezer
10-06-2009, 02:47 PM
I think his main problem right now is psychological, and if he can't get past that, he's done as a starter. He does not respond well when he has to take the team on his back.
The capability is there. We saw it early in his career, before the Wilson hit. It's what won over a lot of fans here. But right now he's his own worst enemy.
and that is where coaching comes in and on this staff he won't get it...I like the kid but I think he is done in Buffalo. They have to decide whether to invest money and sign him to a big contract (he is worth nothing on the open market but to sign him will require a big investment, ironic isn't it). They have given him nothing to help him show he can do it.

Mahdi
10-06-2009, 02:48 PM
The only question is where?

Sorry. I read a lot of these negative comments, and as often happens, I see no real insight. Just a bunch of "he played bad so he sucks at everything and i hate him" we get everytime someone ****s up.

Most of the biggest complainers where the same ones who claimed to be big supporters not that long ago.

Heard the same thing about how McKelvin stinks and they never would have drafted him after week 1.

I don't sway with whichever way the wind blows.

I STILL see potential in Trent. I think he can be a good starting QB. But I don't think he can be a good starting QB 1- with these coaches and 2- with a line this bad.

The kid wasn't a polished star coming out. He was a project with excellent intangibles. And that's what he STILL is. He struggles reading the 3-4. He struggles with confidence. But he is far brighter and has bigger awareness than Losman ever had. I never saw anything in Losman... not from day 1.

If this team could give him some better protection (it looked good the first 2 weeks, but it was unacceptable to let him play with Scott and Chambers) and most of all the Jauron and Co team.

I have no issue calling out a crappy player. I've questioned Whitner for 2 years. I've hated playing Ellison from Day 1. Losman too. Always HATED the hiring of Jauron.... I called signing TO a ticket selling move that would have no positive impact the day it happened (and I LIKE T.O. ... just that with Dick and this O, h was NEVER gonna be happy) So it's not that I'm a homer.

I think he CAN be fixed still (though he is teetering on the edge of having unfixable bad habits, if he isn't soon taught correctly), IF we get some legit coaching.

Otherwise I'm beting we will be letting him go, he;ll end up a backup on a team with a starting QB and some GOOD coaching, eventually get his shot to start through injury or something and end up surprising everyone.

Flame away. I won't argue he didn't played poorly. But I think there is a very legitmate reason.
You need to watch more closely.

I have no agenda against Trent, I am as positive as it gets for a Bills fan.

However, I have been watching Football long enough to know what a real NFL throw looks like. Trent needs work.

Also, whatever team you think Trent can go succeed with, I doubt he ever gets the chance to play with 2 starting RBs behind him and 2 WRs with the talent Owens and Evans have.

Bottom line, the OL has given him enough time to throw this year AND last year in particular.

I think a lot of us are forgetting that last year Trent had PLENTY of time to throw and we were all confused why he couldn't find any targets.

It has NOTHING to do with the line, WRs, or RBs and has everything to do with Trent, his mentality, and his mechanics.

yordad
10-06-2009, 02:53 PM
"I bet Trent ends up having a good career."

Why? Is he getting into politics?

ddaryl
10-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Strange how these QB's can never have a great career in Buffalo...

SeatownBillsFan21
10-06-2009, 03:03 PM
you might be right but i just dont see it.He can't see the field very well and i dont think you can teach that it just happens for you or it doesn't.

Stewie
10-06-2009, 03:04 PM
"you win the game with the line you have, not the line you might want or wish to have"

http://www.michaeltotten.com/archives/images/Donald%20Rumsfeld.jpg

cocamide
10-06-2009, 03:08 PM
Good post, Canadian. Remember, people wanted Drew Brees out of San Diego after his first three years. Look at where he is now. Matt Cassel had a pretty good year last year. Why? Because he was on the Patriots. Look at him this year, he's not doing so hot. Put Brady, Manning, or Favre in with our line and see how they do. (Better than Trent, I'm sure, but not nearly as good as they're doing now.)

I'm not saying that I'm happy with the way Trent is playing... actually I'm quite dissappointed. He's not making the correct decisions, he's not being accurate, and he has absolutely zero confidence in his ability to make tight throws and the receivers' ability to get open. Some blame should definitely rest on his shoulders, but I still think he can be a very good (maybe not great) QB in this league if he didn't have such a lame coaching staff to learn from.
There's a lot of people who want Gruden here, and it'd be nice to see if he could make Trent in to a much better QB.

Mudflap1
10-06-2009, 03:12 PM
Drew Brees was the bomb in college. Trent Edwards bombed in college.

Trent could make a nice backup for somebody in the NFL. Beyond that, the kid doesn't have it to be a successful starting-caliber NFL QB. Didn't have it in college, doesn't have it in the NFL.

TigerJ
10-06-2009, 03:14 PM
I don't have anything personal against any Bills or ex-Bills. I hope they all succeed be it in football or in life. It's looking more and more that for Trent it needs to be somewhere away from the Bills. Mainly I hope the Bills can find a solid QB and head coach without any more false hopes.

Ickybaluky
10-06-2009, 03:16 PM
I think Edwards can be a good QB. I still have questions about how high his ceiling is, but I think he is at least an NFL starter.

You can't judge him in his current situation, though. Everyone loves to blame the QB, but he is being set up to fail. If he were in a better situation, he would be a better QB.

Mahdi
10-06-2009, 03:35 PM
I think Edwards can be a good QB. I still have questions about how high his ceiling is, but I think he is at least an NFL starter.

You can't judge him in his current situation, though. Everyone loves to blame the QB, but he is being set up to fail. If he were in a better situation, he would be a better QB.
Yeah he needs an all-pro OL an 2 HOF WRs instead of one. And throw in 3 starting RBs...

Aaron Rodgers has less than what Trent has and he plays the QB position like it should be played. He gives his team a chance to win.

Sacked 8 times, pressured all day and still throws for 380 yards and 2TDs. He also never hot gun shy after throwing the pick.

naugem
10-06-2009, 03:38 PM

He played quite bad in preseason, had decent games against NE and Tampa (not Baltimore, big difference), and then had 2 bad games again. Maybe the two good games were the aberrations. Or maybe teams caught up (remembered?) on how to disrupt his game.

Canadian'eh!
10-06-2009, 03:43 PM
You need to watch more closely.

I have no agenda against Trent, I am as positive as it gets for a Bills fan.

However, I have been watching Football long enough to know what a real NFL throw looks like. Trent needs work.

Also, whatever team you think Trent can go succeed with, I doubt he ever gets the chance to play with 2 starting RBs behind him and 2 WRs with the talent Owens and Evans have.

Bottom line, the OL has given him enough time to throw this year AND last year in particular.

I think a lot of us are forgetting that last year Trent had PLENTY of time to throw and we were all confused why he couldn't find any targets.

It has NOTHING to do with the line, WRs, or RBs and has everything to do with Trent, his mentality, and his mechanics.

His mentality I'll give you... coaching too... but his mechanics are not a problem area... iv'e seen some ducks from not being able to step into throws... but i don't see bad mechanics.

HHURRICANE
10-06-2009, 03:54 PM
Yeah he needs an all-pro OL an 2 HOF WRs instead of one. And throw in 3 starting RBs...

Aaron Rodgers has less than what Trent has and he plays the QB position like it should be played. He gives his team a chance to win.

Sacked 8 times, pressured all day and still throws for 380 yards and 2TDs. He also never hot gun shy after throwing the pick.

Lynch did great behind our o-line. 8 carries for 4 yards.

Canadian'eh!
10-06-2009, 04:42 PM
I'm sorry but NO ONE would have done well with this OL last week. The OT's were losing ground on every play... Trent was getting pressure of 3 step drops!

Brady didn't look so good when has pressure in his face either.

The difference is that teams like New England and Indy would NEVER allow their QB's to have to face the kind of pressure Trent has, and they would also playcall to better scheme against these weaknesses, not to mention coach the QB fundamentally WAY better than Trent has been.

Brady has ALWAYS had Belichik to guide him. Manning ALWAYS had Tom Moore to guide him as his QB coach since day 1 of his career. Must be nice.

HHURRICANE
10-06-2009, 04:44 PM
I'm sorry but NO ONE would have done well with this OL last week. The OT's were losing ground on every play... Trent was getting pressure of 3 step drops!

Brady didn't look so good when has pressure in his face either.

The difference is that teams like New England and Indy would NEVER allow their QB's to have to face the kind of pressure Trent has, and they would also playcall to better scheme against these weaknesses, not to mention coach the QB fundamentally WAY better than Trent has been.

Brady has ALWAYS had Belichik to guide him. Manning ALWAYS had Tom Moore to guide him as his QB coach since day 1 of his career. Must be nice.

Holmgren with Favre.

Canadian'eh!
10-06-2009, 04:49 PM
Yup...

I just can't say it enough. Coaching all around. The reason the D stinks, the OL stinks, players who shouldn't be on the field are..... Right down to the QB.

The common denominator: Dick Jauron.

IF we get a legitimate good coach (I know a pipe-dream... but) and Trent fails... then so be it. But like NE39 said. He's NOT being given a fair chance to succeed so far.

HHURRICANE
10-06-2009, 04:50 PM
Yup...

I just can't say it enough. Coaching all around. The reason the D stinks, the OL stinks, players who shouldn't be on the field are..... Right down to the QB.

The common denominator: Dick Jauron.

IF we get a legitimate good coach (I know a pipe-dream... but) and Trent fails... then so be it. But like NE39 said. He's NOT being given a fair chance to succeed so far.

Funny how when the o-line went patch work Edwards game went to pot.

No coincidence though.

What were his stats the first two weeks?