PDA

View Full Version : The Bills need INFRASTRUCTURE

Mudflap1
10-06-2009, 03:25 PM
I keep seeing a lot of posts saying a variation of "Jauron needs to be fired now" or "Edwards needs to go" or "Edwards just needs the right coach" etc., and now I see posts from HHURRICANE that suggest he has a source that tells him Jim Kelly is going to be brought on to the Bills in some sort of capacity.

The problem with all of the above issues is that they are all band aids. This franchise needs a complete overhauling. Just getting a new coach isn't going to solve the problems.

1. Ralph needs to clean house in the front office. He needs to bring in a real personnel guy to run the team. Bring in an up and comer from a successful franchise. Ralph had the right idea with Tom Donahoe by bringing him in to run everything. He just picked the wrong guy to do it. Brandon needs to take a back seat and stay out of the football decisions. Modrak and Guy need to go. Modrak has been spotty at best with the draft, and Guy has been horrendous with free agent acquisitions.

2. Once that is done, then the new guy needs to bring in the right head coach. Not a retread. A real coach. There are plenty of proven winners out there that will be available to choose from. That would be the safe move, as opposed to an up and coming assistant that has no previous head coaching experience. Then that coach needs to be able to given the resources to hire the right assistants, not cheap guys who are all given their first chances at being coordinators, etc.

3. The new regime works together to evaluate what the Bills have, trade away guys with value that don't fit in for draft picks, and start the rebuilding process. Either that, or they decide there is enough talent to make a big improvement right away, retool in a few areas, and go out there and make a difference.

Whatever the path is the new regime takes, it's important to note it's not as simple as bringing in a new head coach or getting a new quarterback. The whole infrastructure needs to be there for success to take place. It sounds like Ralph may be considering Jim Kelly to be brought in to be the guru to manage things. That's a big risk. I love Kelly, but what are his credentials? Parcells cost millions to be brought in, I would imagine Kelly would come in for a few hundred grand per year. Pretty cheap alternative, but would be a nice marketing move for a year or two to get the fans to buy tickets. Can Kelly work 12 hour days, talk Ralph into bringing in the right personnel evaluators, the right head coach that will cost money, the right assistants, and be able to make the right draft picks and personnel moves at the same time? Jimbo better be up for the challenge, or else things are going to get worse, not better.