PDA

View Full Version : Not that it matters but here is what I'd do from here on out

The Juice Is Loose
10-06-2009, 04:43 PM
First off, isn't it pathetic that on 10/6/09 I'm already planning on the future? Yes, sure is sad if you ask me.

Anyways, I'm hiring myself as GM of the Bills right now. I'm going to lay out what my plan would be. Be sure to look at it, and rip it apart. I will update this every 4 weeks until the end of the season, and then I'll lay out my full plan for the offseason to turn things around.

There is only one reason I'm doing this. To put in writing what I'd do, so that I can say I told you so. I have always felt that I could do a better job than 80% of the GM's in this league. Maybe there are outside influences that I can't understand from the outside, but the only thing that matters to me, is winning.

Our current problems: Scouting. Coaching. Drafting. Quarterback. Offensive and defensive tackles. Linebackers. And WR's will be a big problem by the off season, as TO will be gone, and Lee will still be the most overpaid vag in the league.

First and foremost, I'd have to hire a coach and a scouting department. I don't know much about scouts in the league, so this would be an area where I would be lost. I know Buddy Nix was successful, and he's still in our organization. Maybe I'd make him in charge? IDK. Whatever, I'll trust my own judgement.

There are 2 coaches that I would hire. And 1 of which I don't think would ever want to be a head coach. Those coaches would be Rob Ryan or Dick Lebeau. Lebeau is old and in a good situation, so I assume that he'd pass it up. I'd probably interview Cottrell to meet the Rooney rule, so really, it'd be between him and Ryan.

I think, based on what we're missing now with Jauron, Ryan would be the polar opposite. I think the rivalry between Buffalo and New York would also then take all the headlines in the AFCE. Which would sell tickets and hats and all that crap. But let's look at this guy. Rob Ryan was in charge of Oakland, and their defense was good. He's now in charge of Cleveland, but their defense is still competitive. I don't see him turning down a shot to face his bro twice a year.

So with Rob Ryan as my head coach, we would have to look at who we are invested in, and build around them. Players that we need to be huge, whether we get a new coach or not, include but are not limited to:

Aaron Maybin
Leodis McKelvin
James Hardy
Marshawn Lynch
Stevie Johnson
Shawn Nelson
Erik Wood
Andy Levitre
Paul Pozlusney
Nic Harris
Jairus Byrd
Terrence McGee
Brian Moorman

Those are my core. Those are the guys whom I'd build this team around. Everybody else can either adapt to what's coming or move on. The players on the bubble that I would still keep include:

Trent Edwards
Aaron Schobel - I would test the trade market for Schobel
Chris Kelsay
Marcus Stroud
Fred Jackson
Derek Fine
Donte Whitner - If he comes back and continues to play well. Otherwise either trade or cut
Geoff Hangartner
Drayton Florence

Here are the players that would be on a different team, or out of the NFL within a month of my hire:

Josh Reed - He'll be a free agent and he won't get an offer from us
Kawika Mitchell - He'd either be traded or cut. His performance this year is horrid.
John Wendling
Kirk Chambers
Ashton Youbody
Rian Lindell
Ryan Denney
Kyle Williams (FA. 4-3 guy. Not gonna fit anymore)

Any players not mentioned would either be gone if they aren't signed, or would be retained to compete for a roster spot and/or add depth. I see potential in Bell but I'm not ready to just say he's my tackle. Butler, I'd let him come back and show what he could do but I wouldn't plan on him.

From there, its obvious we would head into free agency. I am a huge TO fan, and I wouldn't mind keeping him but it'd depend on how the year wrapped up. Obviously, for a new coach to be here it probably woudln't be good, so chances are TO would be gone.

Here are some guys who are scheduled to be free agents that I would target. Keep in mind, they may be franchised or extended by their clubs by this time, but as of now this is all I have to go on:

Braylon Edwards, Mark Clayton, Vincent Jackson, Brandon Marshall, Antonio Bryant, Steve Breaston, Michael Jenkins, Neil Rackers, Luis Castillo, Ryan Pickett, Richard Seymour (I'm sure he'll sign with NYJ but we may be in 2nd place. Or Miami. I'm sure he'll want to get back at NE), Vince Wilfork, Elvis Dumervil, Lofa Tatupu, DJ Williams.

Obviously, can't sign everybody. With our current group of people that I'd keep, moving to a 3-4 would probably look like this:
OLB 1: Maybin OLB 2: Aaron Schobel
ILB 1: Poz ILB 2: Nic Harris
DE 1 - Stroud DE 2 - Kelsay
DT - empty

So obviously heading into the off season one of my top priorities would be to land a monster NT. Wilfork and Pickett are available and I feel Shaun Rodgers would be tradeable. Also, if this wasn't dealt with in FA it'd be my top priority in the draft.

As far as the offense goes. I'd pull a Texans and I'd go out and get Kevin Kolb. The guy is a 2nd round choice and should be well coached and ready to take the helm. I'd bring him in to compete with Trent for the starting spot.

If the Eagles decided to go with Kolb, they'd obviously let McNabb go. I'd sign McNabb to a 2 year deal and also draft a QB to develop under him. And I'd still keep Trent and give him an equal opportunity. McNabb would not be a full time solution but it would be someone who could keep us competitive as we rebuild because frankly, unless your REALLY REALLY bad, the top of the draft is the worst place to be.

So there we go. I guess that sums it up. Obviously WR and LT would still be major concerns that I would have to address in FA and the draft. Not really any LT in FA. So we may have to draft a few mid round linemen and have them compete until a clear cut #1 tackle comes available.

Is this totally pointless? Sure. But it's on my mind. I just want to be good.

HHURRICANE
10-06-2009, 04:47 PM
I love how everyone wants to get rid of our best WR. Sorry people but Josh Reed is still are best WR.

I'd trade Evans and sign Reed long term and than make sure Boldin is in here.

The Juice Is Loose
10-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Frankly saying that Reed is our best WR isn't a reflection on him as much as it is on us. He's small. Slow. Doesn't run with the ball well. Never makes big plays.

I'd bring in several new WR's to compete. Mark Clayton would instantly be better than Josh Reed. I also would give Hardy every chance to show he can be a 1 or a 2. I'd give Steve Johnson an opportunity at the slot spot.

Syderick
10-06-2009, 05:07 PM
Are you guys like best friends?