PDA

View Full Version : Mike Sherman interviewed for coach of the Bills in 06

BillsWin
10-06-2009, 09:59 PM
I remember this distinctly when the Bills were searching for a Head Coach in January of 2006. The top three candidates were Jauron, Jim Haslett and Mike Sherman if I am not mistaken.

My question is, why did Ralph Wilson chose Jauron over the other candidates, and where do you think the Bills would stand today if we had went with one of the other choices?

Haslett is one of those coaches that if you give him talent, he can coach it. But he won't make miracles happen if you give him nothing to work with. See St. Louis.

As for Mike Sherman, he would have been my choice given the three. 59-43 head coach record and he went to six playoff games, winning two of them. He isn't all world, but he could have done some good things with the Bills in my opinion.

So where would we be now with either of these guys?

Also, I heard we interviewed six coaches. Who were the other three? I don't remember any other names.

Dr. Lecter
10-06-2009, 10:01 PM
Lofton, Caldwell and April.

BillsWin
10-06-2009, 10:05 PM
thanks Lecter. What is your opinion?

PECKERWOOD
10-06-2009, 10:19 PM
This is why I don't care if Jauron fails or not, anymore.

It's annoying, LOOK AT THE ****ING SHMUCKS THEY INTERVIEWED. That's so maddening, WTF?

Prov401
10-06-2009, 10:53 PM
I remember this distinctly when the Bills were searching for a Head Coach in January of 2006. The top three candidates were Jauron, Jim Haslett and Mike Sherman if I am not mistaken.

My question is, why did Ralph Wilson chose Jauron over the other candidates, and where do you think the Bills would stand today if we had went with one of the other choices?

Haslett is one of those coaches that if you give him talent, he can coach it. But he won't make miracles happen if you give him nothing to work with. See St. Louis.

As for Mike Sherman, he would have been my choice given the three. 59-43 head coach record and he went to six playoff games, winning two of them. He isn't all world, but he could have done some good things with the Bills in my opinion.

So where would we be now with either of these guys?

Also, I heard we interviewed six coaches. Who were the other three? I don't remember any other names.

I believe Marv Levy chose Jauron over all of the other coaches, not Ralph Wilson. If you remember, Mike Mularky resigned and then the Bills began their search for a head coach. My guess is Levy liked Jauron because of his smarts coming from an Ivy leauge background, and Marv Levy also covered the Chicago Bears on his own post-game show in his home-town of Chicago, at the exact time that Jauron was a head coach there. So, Levy deffinitley knew Dick on a personal level before hand.

Out of the list of mediocre coaches that we interviewed, Sherman was surely the best option, though not an exciting one. At the time Caldwell was too ripe, but learning under Dungy has paid dividends as he looks to be a pretty good head coach so far. Then again, who wouldn't look good with Peyton Manning as your starter? At the time, out of that list, I would have picked Sherman. However, I think instead of being 7-9 for three straight seasons, he may have gotten us to 8-8 or 9-7. We interviewed a bunch of bums.

Michael82
10-07-2009, 01:24 AM
We also interviewed Dom Capers...didn't we?

Plus the worst part about this...it was the year that the Saints hired Sean Payton who we didnt even interview. :ill:

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
10-07-2009, 01:31 AM
After they brought Jauron in as head coach they tried to sign Mike Sherman as the offensive coordinator.

Raptor
10-07-2009, 06:34 AM
Hasslett was never in the running and we never even interviewed him

Jauron was chosen b/c Marv liked him since he was around those Jauron Bears teams and Ralph liked him him over Mularky but let TD make the call.

Two years later Ralph still remembered how much he liked Jauron and Marv was already a fan since covering him in Chicago so he was the clear favorite

Jeff1220
10-07-2009, 08:02 AM
If I remember right, the coaching options were slim because they dragged their feet on deciding to retain Mularkey, then he quit after many hires were already made.

PECKERWOOD
10-07-2009, 09:14 AM
Mularkey actually wasn't an awful coach, kinda like him in all honesty.

bigbub2352
10-07-2009, 09:58 AM
I dont have any facts to back up this but i am sure it was financially motivated, and rumor has it Marv had chicago ties to Skeletor
Sherman mite have wanted more power too since i believe he was coach/GM at GB
either way it comes down to money and to be honest i wanted Sherman Fassel or Hasselet at the time
Hasselet being my number 1 in 2006
now i want a coach with a proven track record of winning and good personnel moves wishful thinking i know :(

Mike in Syracuse
10-07-2009, 10:50 AM
I just waiting for Chuck Lester to be named head coach!

justasportsfan
10-07-2009, 10:59 AM
I'm not sure but I think we interviewed McDaniels but passed on him.

The Juice Is Loose
10-07-2009, 11:03 AM
well lets not say that mike sherman or jim haslett would have been better. its been 4 years and they haven't done *****.

haslett is in the ufl with jp.

we need to just get on the trend of promoting exciting motivational young hot shot coordinators. i say rob ryan.

DraftBoy
10-07-2009, 11:06 AM
Should of hired James Lofton.

Meathead
10-07-2009, 11:09 AM
i officially wanted sherman way over jauron, but ...

paladin warrior
10-07-2009, 11:44 AM
WHY Because Ralph is cheap. Ralph want to hire a cheaper HC and he can't afford to hire Mike Sherman.

DynaPaul
10-07-2009, 11:47 AM
Jauron was marketed as the second coming of Marv. He was an Ivy League guy with book smarts and a calm demeanor. I never bought it for a second.

BertSquirtgum
10-07-2009, 08:51 PM
should have hired sherman. i wanted him to begin with. jauron sucks non cleansed poopy buttholes.

Ed
10-07-2009, 09:16 PM
I was always under the impression that Ralph wanted Sherman and Marv wanted Jauron, and Marv won out. Honestly, I don't think Sherman would have done any better. There's nothing special about that guy at all.

I know everyone wants Jauron fired and he probably will be, but let's be real. The chances of us hiring anyone worth anything are slim.

Syderick
10-07-2009, 09:57 PM
We also interviewed Dom Capers...didn't we?

Plus the worst part about this...it was the year that the Saints hired Sean Payton who we didnt even interview. :ill:

Actually I heard that Marv Levy had called up Sean Payton with interest. But an interview with the Saints was already schedule.