PDA

View Full Version : Marv Levy was always overrated.

Prov401
10-06-2009, 11:39 PM
I may take some heat for this, but here it goes.

Marv Levy = Was, and always has been, Overrated.

He was a bad-decent coach with the Kansas City Chiefs in the mid-late 80's. He had a .425 winning percentage there, going 31-42. He had the luck of coming to a team, loaded with talent, and a great front office. Levy would have been nothing without Bill Polian.

Bill Polian is the reason that the Bills went to any of the Superbowls in the 1990's, fact.

He signed Bruce Smith to his first contract, and was intstrumental in doing so. He took over the GM duties for a team that was coming off a 2-14 season. He signed Jim Kelly from the USFL in 1986, and traded UP to get Shane Conlon in the 1987 NFL draft, also aquiring a pick in the process that would later be used to trade down with, and draft Nate Odomes. This guy knew, and still knows talent. He is the reason that Buffalo was LOADED with all-stars. He made one of the biggest trades in Bills history in aquiring Cornelius Bennet. We had no first round pick in 1988, and still one of the sweetest sentences of all time were pronounced by former commisioner Rozelle: "With the 40th overall pick in the 1988 NFL draft, the Buffalo Bills select running back Thurman Thomas". This guy had an eye for talent, and brought it to Buffalo in any way he could. From different leauges, free agency, the draft, wherever.

He also hired Marv Levy. Now please, don't get me wrong, I believe Levy is a solid head coach. Something to the likes of a modern day John Fox. He is very insiprational, and smart. However, the keys to the car were in the posession of Bill Polian. The players are who make and play this game. I never quite got the hype surrounding Marv as one of the 'greatest coaches of all time'.

Just look at what Polian has done since being fired, yea fired (I guess 3 straight SB's weren't good enough) from the Bills in 1993. He took over the GM position with the EXPANSION Carolina Panthers. Just 2 years, TWO years, he had them in the NFC Championship game against the Greenbay Packers. That's remarkable. Now he has been with the Colts for a while and drafted Peyton Manning in 1998, when many wanted him to go with Ryan Leaf, including most in the Colts' organization. I'd say he made the right pick.

This all comes from the recent threads, and also the not-so recent threads of the past couple of years regarding how Marv Levy is being blamed for his drafts, and choice of a head coach during his GM reign. He was never a GM, and never picked any players while coaching in Buffalo during the 90's. All he did was admire what Bill Polian gave him to work with. I also believe his own coaching path, led him to hire Dick Jauron. Jauron had the type of head coaching career that Marv had before getting his true second shot. Levy gave Jauron his second shot, however Dick doesn't have an unbelievable GM that the Bills had in the Superbowl years. Blame RALPH WILSON for hiring Marv Levy in 2006. I'm sure most of you know what Bill Polian was to this organization, and if not, here's a link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Polian
You will find a quote from Polian during his closing press conference with the Buffalo Bills, describing what team he was being forced to leave behind. He hit it dead on.

Bill Polian-"They're a very special group of men. Cherish them, you will not see their like again."

sdbillsfan2
10-07-2009, 12:23 AM
Marv was fortunate enough to be surrounded by some great, talented football people. The talent made Levy look good , not the other way around.

I'm not sure he was as much overrated as Bill Polian was underrated.
It's no surprise to me how well he's (BP) done since leaving Buffalo. As time passes I think I realize more and more how asinine RW was for letting Polian get away. And then followed that up with John Butler.

Prov401
10-07-2009, 12:32 AM
Marv was fortunate enough to be surrounded by some great, talented football people. The talent made Levy look good , not the other way around.

I'm not sure he was as much overrated as Bill Polian was underrated.
It's no surprise to me how well he's (BP) done since leaving Buffalo. As time passes I think I realize more and more how asinine RW was for letting Polian get away. And then followed that up with John Butler.

Firstly, I appreciate your response.

It all starts with the front office. You'll see, slowly but surely the Patriots won't be so much of a powerhouse within the next 5 years. Scott Pioli was instrumental in drafting, and signing players in New England. Ozzie Newsome is another one with the Ravens. They know football. Polian, Pioli, and Newsome are easily the top 3 general managers in the NFL, and their teams prove it year in, year out. (Pioli is in a rebuilding stage this year, so he doesn't really count right now, but watch KC in a few years). AJ Smith and Rich Mckay round out the top 5 for me.

Thurmal
10-07-2009, 10:53 AM
Dude, Marv not only kept all of those enormous egos in check, he also made that team resilient enough to keep going back to the SB after they continued to lose it. That has to count for something.

SabreEleven
10-07-2009, 10:57 AM
It does count for something, he is in the hall of fame, isn't he? But Marv got badly outcoached in the SB especially in 25 and 28 when the Bills had better teams but lost it on coaching...

DynaPaul
10-07-2009, 11:55 AM
He was a good coach but not a championship coach. He had some of the awesomest players ever in the NFL and still couldn't deliver 1 Super Bowl win in 4 attempts. Super Bowl 25 was unforgiveable. 9 times out of 10 we would have whooped that sorry, old Giants team. He didn't have the answers for their gameplan but the players almost pulled it off despite that. The Redskins Super Bowl we got screwed by the officials and the 2 against the Cowboys were both winnable games especially the second one where we led 13 - 3 at the half and wound up getting kicked in the ass to the tune of 30 - 13. That was the second unforgiveable Super Bowl.

TacklingDummy
10-07-2009, 11:59 AM
I wonder how Dick would be with all that talent on the roster?

It does make you wonder, is it the coach or is it the players? I've always said its the players. Without the players it doesn't matter who the head coach is.

Prov401
10-07-2009, 12:17 PM
I wonder how Dick would be with all that talent on the roster?

It does make you wonder, is it the coach or is it the players? I've always said its the players. Without the players it doesn't matter who the head coach is.

Dick would suck with the Patriots roster. He is no where near a solid coach, as Levy was. Dick just flat out sucks. He is soft, his schemes are soft, and he is the most un-enhusiastic head coach we have ever had.

Another thing going along with my initial argument is this: Jim Kelly ran the whole offense. Everything went through him. He orchestrated everything that happened, and called all of the plays. The players are indeed what makes a successful franchise. However, the coach manages the team, and implements schemes. Defensivley is where a coach counts most, without a doubt.

StuffEmDefense
10-07-2009, 12:25 PM
Dude, Marv not only kept all of those enormous egos in check, he also made that team resilient enough to keep going back to the SB after they continued to lose it. That has to count for something.

Use that same argument for Joe Torre then. People don't give him credit as being an all time great Coach. They say he was an average coach that got the best team loaded with super stars.

Prov401
10-07-2009, 02:53 PM
Use that same argument for Joe Torre then. People don't give him credit as being an all time great Coach. They say he was an average coach that got the best team loaded with super stars.

Perfect and true analogy. If I were backed by the richest baseball organization that dumped 200 million bux into the roster year in year out, you bet even I would get them into the playoffs. Torre is deffinitley overrated, however he does make good pitching changes, at the right times. He also commands great respect from his players, always trusting in them, and staying calm through any situation. Highly overrated though.

Thurmal
10-07-2009, 04:40 PM
But was he overrated? I don't remember hearing anyone in the media claim he was like a top-five coach or anything.

Give the guy a little credit. It takes a good coach to get the most out of your talent and keep the machine well-oiled at the same time.