PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo vs the 3-4 defense.....

yordad
10-06-2009, 11:56 PM
Dating back to the beginning of the 08 season, 16 games ago, I am going to list some things.

4-3 teams the Bills faced....Sea, Jac, Oak, Stl, KC, Den, TB, NE

3-4 teams the Bills faced....Mia, Mia, Mia, NYJ, NYJ, NE, NE, SD, CLE, Ari, SF

4-3 teams that played the game in a 3-4...... NO

NE played a 4-3 in the '09 opener, it could explain why the Bills were even close in that one.

Also, I am not going through and subtracting defensive or STs TDs. Mostly because I don't want to spend all night looking this up.

Of the 4-3 teams, the Bills were 7-1. In these games the Bills score 250 points for an average of 31.25 points per contest.

Of the teams that played a 3-4, the Bills were 1-11. 160 points were scored in these games, for a 13.333 average.

A 18 POINT PER GAME DIFFERENCE!

Does anyone think this is a coincidence? Does anyone think NO didn't know this when they decided to use the 3-4 instead of their normal 4-3 vs the Bills?

My biggest questions are- If it isn't a coincidence, why? And who's fault is it?

clumping platelets
10-06-2009, 11:58 PM
This is much more a coaching problem then a Trent problem

yordad
10-07-2009, 12:05 AM
This is much more a coaching problem then a Trent problemThis includes JP games.

Prov401
10-07-2009, 12:05 AM
Dating back to the beginning of the 08 season, 16 games ago, I am going to list some things.

4-3 teams the Bills faced....Sea, Jac, Oak, Stl, KC, Den, TB,

3-4 teams the Bills faced....Mia, Mia, Mia, NYJ, NYJ, NE, NE, SD, CLE, SF

4-3 teams that played a majority of the game in a 3-4......Ari, NO

And one team where I honestly don't know what they played .... NE (09 opener)

I am leaving NE out of my calculations because I don't know what they played. Although, if they did play a 4-3, it could explain why the Bills were even close in that one.

Also, I am not going through and subtracting defensive or STs TDs. Mostly because I don't want to spend all night looking this up.

Of the known 4-3 teams, the Bills were 7-0. In these games the Bills score 226 points for an average of 32.3 points per contest.

Of the teams that played a 3-4, the Bills were 1-11. 160 points were scored in these games, for a 13.333 average.

A 19 POINT PER GAME DIFFERENCE!

Does anyone think this is a coincidence? Does anyone think NO didn't know this when they decided to use the 3-4 instead of their normal 4-3 vs the Bills? Now, I didn't go a year back, but I wonder what made the Cards use it.

My biggest questions are- If it isn't a coincidence, why? And who's fault is it?

Good find. I believe our 1 win was against San Diego last year. I think it's a combination of Trent, and the horiffic coaching that we have. More so the horiffic coaching.

yordad
10-07-2009, 12:08 AM
Good find. I believe our 1 win was against San Diego last year. I think it's a combination of Trent, and the horiffic coaching that we have. More so the horiffic coaching.Why were the Bills NOT practicing against a 3-4 defense leading up to the Green bay and Pittsburgh preseason games?

:wtf:

Prov401
10-07-2009, 12:13 AM
Why were the Bills NOT practicing against a 3-4 defense leading up to the Green bay and Pittsburgh preseason games?

:wtf:

There's a reason Dickey has the absolute worse, and lowest coaching approval percentage among NFL fans at 4%. He's a horrible head coach, and runs bubble-gum training camps. We have the worse coaching staff in the NFL hands down. That's pretty much why.

psubills62
10-07-2009, 12:13 AM
Good numbers. I love numbers.

It amazed me last year that the coaches never seemed to be able to adjust to it. And yes, I think some of the fault is Edwards', but it's definitely on the coaches too. That's one of the biggest problems with the coaches - the inability to adjust to looks, whether it's the short pass (Arizona, '08) or the 3-4 (the last two years).

yordad
10-07-2009, 12:20 AM
And now Buffalo is a 6 point favorite vs Cleveland? Pfff

Billz_fan
10-07-2009, 12:28 AM
Im sure if Dick knew this information he would "Prepare them better or something"

However, Im sure he would first have to "check the video of the game"

In the end he would probably sumise that we "Punted the ball well

psubills62
10-07-2009, 12:29 AM
And now Buffalo is a 6 point favorite vs Cleveland? Pfff

They could put Brady Quinn at nose tackle and our offense wouldn't be able to move the ball.

Ingtar33
10-07-2009, 12:33 AM

4-3 teams the Bills faced....Sea, Jac, Oak, Stl, KC, Den, TB,

3-4 teams the Bills faced....Mia, Mia, Mia, NYJ, NYJ, NE, NE, SD, CLE, SF

4-3 teams that played a majority of the game in a 3-4......Ari, NO

And one team where I honestly don't know what they played .... NE (09 opener)

I am leaving NE out of my calculations because I don't know what they played. Although, if they did play a 4-3, it could explain why the Bills were even close in that one.

Of the known 4-3 teams, the Bills were 7-0. In these games the Bills score 226 points for an average of 32.3 points per contest.

A 19 POINT PER GAME DIFFERENCE!

Does anyone think this is a coincidence? Does anyone think NO didn't know this when they decided to use the 3-4 instead of their normal 4-3 vs the Bills? Now, I didn't go a year further back, but I wonder what made the Cards use it.

NE was in a 4-3

and AZ was primarily a 3-4 last year (admittedly they did have some 4-3 formations...but their base defense was 3-4). they were not a 4-3 playing a 3-4

good analysis btw

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
10-07-2009, 12:36 AM
Im sure if Dick knew this information he would "Prepare them better or something"

However, Im sure he would first have to "check the video of the game"

In the end he would probably sumise that we "Punted the ball well

lol

yordad
10-07-2009, 02:07 AM
NE was in a 4-3

and AZ was primarily a 3-4 last year (admittedly they did have some 4-3 formations...but their base defense was 3-4). they were not a 4-3 playing a 3-4

good analysis btwThankyou, and I edited to reflect.

Ickybaluky
10-07-2009, 05:49 AM
NE actually opened playing 3-4 against Buffalo in the opener (7 of the first 9 snaps), but switched to 4-3 exclusively after Jerod Mayo got hurt due to the shortage at LB. I think one of the reasons they are looking at bringing back Junior Seau is to be able to play 3-4 at times, like in the next game against Buffalo.

trapezeus
10-07-2009, 07:58 AM
pathetic stats, huh?

I can't imagine someone getting to make such a clear case that they have no idea what they are doing and still keep their job.

RockStar36
10-07-2009, 08:27 AM
I'm glad you posted this.

If anything, this just shows how inept the Bills are and how terrible the coaching staff is. The fact that a simple scheme change to the 3-4 boggles the Bills mind is embarrassing.

Mahdi
10-07-2009, 09:12 AM

4-3 teams the Bills faced....Sea, Jac, Oak, Stl, KC, Den, TB, NE

3-4 teams the Bills faced....Mia, Mia, Mia, NYJ, NYJ, NE, NE, SD, CLE, Ari, SF

4-3 teams that played the game in a 3-4...... NO

NE played a 4-3 in the '09 opener, it could explain why the Bills were even close in that one.

Of the 4-3 teams, the Bills were 7-1. In these games the Bills score 250 points for an average of 31.25 points per contest.

A 18 POINT PER GAME DIFFERENCE!

Does anyone think this is a coincidence? Does anyone think NO didn't know this when they decided to use the 3-4 instead of their normal 4-3 vs the Bills?

This is by far a Trent problem.

Trent cant/wont make the throws required to beat a 3-4 D. With 4 LBs roaming around Trent is having trouble hitting his short throws and when he does make them the D is right there to make the tackle.

Favre beat the 3-4 on Monday by making throws over the LBs and in front of the safeties.

Then he was able to make plays behind the safeties.

yordad
10-07-2009, 10:06 AM
NE actually opened playing 3-4 against Buffalo in the opener (7 of the first 9 snaps), but switched to 4-3 exclusively after Jerod Mayo got hurt due to the shortage at LB. I think one of the reasons they are looking at bringing back Junior Seau is to be able to play 3-4 at times, like in the next game against Buffalo.Guaranteed Seau gets signed just before that game.

DynaPaul
10-07-2009, 11:59 AM
That's truly sad. If I were the coach I'd be hammering the 3 - 4 defensive scheme into the offense and making them practice against it everyday. (Even on the weeks we weren't facing a 3 - 4 team just to keep it fresh.) If a player or team is deficient in a skill you practice it until they become adept at it. How basic is that?

dplus47
10-07-2009, 07:29 PM
the oddest thing about the bills not practicing vs. the 3-4 in the offseason is the amount of turnover on the OL. the biggest issue with teams that struggle with the 3-4 is pass protection. the secondary is still going to be in some basic coverage that is recognizable, so i don't think it's DIRECTLY a trent problem. however, i think it's INDIRECTLY a trent problem because a guy loses his confidence when he keeps getting knocked down.

Mitchell55
10-07-2009, 09:57 PM
One thing I notice is all the 3-4 teams have pretty good Ds.