PDA

View Full Version : who are the bills free agents next year?

trapezeus
10-07-2009, 08:39 AM
I'm happy to part with pretty much everyone other than fred jackson. What people can we look forward to saying goodbye to at the end of they year?

Pinkerton Security
10-07-2009, 08:46 AM
prolly jamarcus russell after he gets cut by the damn raiders. hes horrible.

edit: didnt read the post fully bc im in a training course

- i want to say goodbye to kawika. he is way overrated

psubills62
10-07-2009, 08:47 AM
The four that I know off the top of my head are:

Owens, Reed, Denney, Youboty.

Footballsfuture.com says that Schouman will be too.

Kffl.com's list supports the four that I listed (although they are REALLY behind on updating contract extensions, as they have Evans, Kyle Williams, Brad Butler, McGee and Peerless Price on the list too).

psubills62
10-07-2009, 08:52 AM
Walterfootball.com adds the following players to the list:

Bryan Scott
Keith Ellison
Jon Corto (RFA)
Derek Schouman (RFA)
George Wilson

Pinkerton Security
10-07-2009, 08:53 AM

Bryan Scott
Keith Ellison
Jon Corto (RFA)
Derek Schouman (RFA)
George Wilson

i wouldnt mind keeping Schou, he is a pretty sure-handed receiver for us.

psubills62
10-07-2009, 08:54 AM
These are the ones I'd like to keep:

Reed
Schouman
Scott (hopefully to be a veteran backup)

psubills62
10-07-2009, 08:55 AM

Yeah, I thought he was pretty improved early on this year. He's done well when given the opportunity.

patmoran2006
10-07-2009, 08:59 AM

Kffl.com's list supports the four that I listed (although they are REALLY behind on updating contract extensions, as they have Evans, Kyle Williams, Brad Butler, McGee and Peerless Price on the list too).
Both Butler and Kyle Williams were extended last year.. Obviously, McGee was just recently extended.

patmoran2006
10-07-2009, 09:00 AM

None of those four should be back..

Owens has been a disaster (by little fault of his) not to mention I'm sure he wants out badly.

Reed has to go to make room for Hardy and Johnson.

Denney is gone to make room for Maybin and maybe Ellis

Youboty, do I even need to say?

psubills62
10-07-2009, 09:05 AM
None of those four should be back..

Owens has been a disaster (by little fault of his) not to mention I'm sure he wants out badly.

Reed has to go to make room for Hardy and Johnson.

Denney is gone to make room for Maybin and maybe Ellis

Youboty, do I even need to say?

I agree on all of those except Reed. I'd much rather have them get rid of Parrish (trade or cut) and re-sign Reed. That way they could have Evans, Hardy/Johnson and Reed. Bring in a rookie and they'd be pretty well set. Good mix of young guys and veterans, imo.

Beastie Bills
10-07-2009, 09:08 AM

Same here. Just not as the focal point of our offense.

Pinkerton Security
10-07-2009, 09:21 AM
Same here. Just not as the focal point of our offense.
haha no, but Im happy with Nelson and him being our TE's

justasportsfan
10-07-2009, 09:26 AM
It doesn't matter as long as Dick is still our coach unless this is for conversation sake.

bigbub2352
10-07-2009, 09:54 AM

Bryan Scott
Keith Ellison
Jon Corto (RFA)
Derek Schouman (RFA)
George Wilson
i could be wrong but i thought Bryan Scott signed a 2yr deal this yr?
all the rest can go bye bye i want no one of our free agents absolutly nobody
and cut some guys that are not free agents too

psubills62
10-07-2009, 09:57 AM

He did sign a 2-year deal, but that was in 2008.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=2137

yordad
10-07-2009, 09:57 AM
Sounds like the Bills are in pretty good shape on that front.

bigbub2352
10-07-2009, 09:59 AM
He did sign a 2-year deal, but that was in 2008.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=2137
ahhhh ok my bad
he can go to then

Dr. Lecter
10-07-2009, 10:02 AM

I think he did.

Schouman is fine too (assuming his knee heals). Not as a starter, but if backs up Nelson next year I have no problem with him as a # 2 for recieving and Fine as the depth TE blocker.

DraftBoy
10-07-2009, 10:33 AM
Bring back Jackson, Schouman, and Reed.

Dr. Lecter
10-07-2009, 10:37 AM
Bring back Jackson, Schouman, and Reed.

Jackson is not a FA. He signed for 3 or 4 years this offseason.

trapezeus
10-07-2009, 10:44 AM
If the bills plans are to build up the lines more and roll edwards one more year due to a lack of QB Free agents and quality can't miss QB picks, i think you have to sign reed again. he's one of the only guys other than Schouman that edwards has any faith in.

I really hate our WR's.

Evans - not a clutch number 1. even with losman, he was only good for a few long catches. The bills need a game changer. Someone who is open on 3rd down at the sticks. Someone who can break a long one on a crossing route. When is the last time you saw a crossing route of 5-15 yards turn into a longer gain. Granted none of our QB's have been accurate and hit people in stride for say 10 years. But i have reason to believe this play still exists in the NFL as I see other teams do it.
Hardy - essentially still a rookie and coming off a knee injury. I expect little to nothing from him from here on out.
Johnson - showed flashes of being capable. Yet how many players have we seen like that so far. No one is consistent once they come to buffalo
Owens- won't be here and so far looks like he is already thinking about signing for less to be on any other team. I also don't like that you have to throw it to him 16 times a game so that he can catch it 8 times.
Throw in the fact we'll carry one or two receivers to be gunners for ST but can't catch a ball worth crap, we are treading water at this position.

T-Long
10-07-2009, 10:47 AM
I definitely think Reed gets resigned and Roscoe is gone

justasportsfan
10-07-2009, 10:47 AM
I love our wr's . I don't blame them for the ball not getting thrown their way because the Qb thinks 1 on 1 coverage means they are covered.

trapezeus
10-07-2009, 10:52 AM
why hasn't a single offensive coordinator put evans over the middle? Isn't that the role of a number 1 receiver? It comes back to coaching. ARe they set up to fail by not being in motion? Are they getting crap routes? Are they getting open and not getting the ball?

All great questions. But when you factor in that the OL is decimated, no depth, i don't know what QB in this league could throw to a receiver.

I think Owens has helped make it one on one coverage, but the line doesn't hold and if it did, i'm not sure edwards would take advantage of it.

psubills62
10-07-2009, 10:52 AM
If the bills plans are to build up the lines more and roll edwards one more year due to a lack of QB Free agents and quality can't miss QB picks, i think you have to sign reed again. he's one of the only guys other than Schouman that edwards has any faith in.

I really hate our WR's.

Evans - not a clutch number 1. even with losman, he was only good for a few long catches. The bills need a game changer. Someone who is open on 3rd down at the sticks. Someone who can break a long one on a crossing route. When is the last time you saw a crossing route of 5-15 yards turn into a longer gain. Granted none of our QB's have been accurate and hit people in stride for say 10 years. But i have reason to believe this play still exists in the NFL as I see other teams do it.
Hardy - essentially still a rookie and coming off a knee injury. I expect little to nothing from him from here on out.
Johnson - showed flashes of being capable. Yet how many players have we seen like that so far. No one is consistent once they come to buffalo
Owens- won't be here and so far looks like he is already thinking about signing for less to be on any other team. I also don't like that you have to throw it to him 16 times a game so that he can catch it 8 times.
Throw in the fact we'll carry one or two receivers to be gunners for ST but can't catch a ball worth crap, we are treading water at this position.

Agreed. Evans has talent, but he rarely puts up 10-catch games as a go-to receiver. We need a true possession receiver with great hands.

I'd really like to see Steve Johnson get more chances, especially if this season goes to the toilet.

My top WR target in the draft would be Eric Decker from Minnesota. He's got good size, and despite being the ONLY weapon on an average Minnesota offense, he consistently gets 100+ yards and 1-2 TD's. Could possibly get him early second round, as he may not have combine speed and amazing measurables...but the kid knows how to play on the field, for sure.

DraftBoy
10-07-2009, 10:56 AM
Jackson is not a FA. He signed for 3 or 4 years this offseason.

That's right I forgot about his extension. I think Reed then is our top priority amongst our own FA's then.

justasportsfan
10-07-2009, 11:02 AM
why hasn't a single offensive coordinator put evans over the middle? Isn't that the role of a number 1 receiver? It comes back to coaching. ARe they set up to fail by not being in motion? Are they getting crap routes? Are they getting open and not getting the ball? .

So if thats the coaches call then how it that the wr's fault?

All great questions. But when you factor in that the OL is decimated, no depth, i don't know what QB in this league could throw to a receiver.

I think Owens has helped make it one on one coverage, but the line doesn't hold and if it did, i'm not sure edwards would take advantage of it.

it's been proven in the past and last sunday, if the qb just trusts his wr's to make a play then they will. Trent out of desperation threw to both lee and TO and they made plays but went back to dinking and dunking.

trapezeus
10-07-2009, 11:06 AM
I know I'm going to take crap for saying this (ala Skooby), but my dad's friend is tangently connected to the Polians. We've talked to them at a couple fundraisers. nothing too exciting but small talk. And Polian holds court well at these things.

Anyways, one thing Bill Polian demands of his staff is to read Bill Belichick's dad's book on scouting. He said that this is the quintessential book on scouting and it's an invaluable. I have it in my amazon list of things i'd like to read.

I bring this up only because PSU mentions WR drafting. And that is perhaps the riskiest position in early round drafting. Look at Polian drafts and he routinely hits on QB's and WRs. Look at the Colts right now. Harrison is gone and garcon steps in. Reggie wayne was taken and groomed with harrison in place.

I frankly don't trust our scouts to be prepared. Perhaps, we could buy this book and mail it to the front office. Throwing darts at the draft board has not worked out for us thus far.