• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Juice Is Loose
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Feb 2009

New Head Coach

Guys, I've brought this up a couple times but haven't gotten much feedback.

Who do you all think we should hire as our next head coach? Think about it. Let's keep in realistic and try to keep in mind things that may happens involving other teams.

I think Wade Phillips gets fired and Jeff Fisher gets fired. And then I think Dallas will hire Jeff Fisher.

I think Zorn gets fired and they hire Holmgren. I think Fox gets fired and then they hire Cowher.

I also have this feeling deep inside that San Diego is going to have tough sledding through the year, and that Norv Turner will get canned. I can really really see them going after Shanahan after that.

Other NFL coaches that could find themselves fired in January include Del Rio, Kubiak, Cable. Longshots but possibilities at this point also include Lovie Smith, Childress, and Lewis.

So of the currently unemployed coaches, the ones who I don't know of any likelyhood to sign with another club, the list looks like this:

Gruden, Shottenheimer, Shanahan, Sherman, Billick. I'm not going to list UFL coaches as I doubt they're coming back right away.

I mean who would you go after? The other possibility, as I see it the more likely one, is we hire a coordinator to be our next head coach. Names that are always included on these lists include:

Rob Ryan, Ted Cottrell, Jason Garrett, Gregg Williams, Dom Capers.

I'd have to say that I think Rob Ryan would be my guy. For all the reasons the Jets are doing well. He has a similar track record to Rex, he's just been on worse franchises (oak and cle).

He'd bring emotion and a 34. And if he's anything like his brother maybe some common sense when it comes to choosing players. This would maximize Maybin as he would be moved to OLB obviously. He's pretty much our biggest current investment other then Evans.

Not only that, but I bet he'd find a way to get more out of our players. Poz, Whitner, Schobel, Kelsay, Stroud, Mitchell...McKelvin...all these guys are still not old and still have tons of upside.

What do you all think? Let's put together a solid 10 coach list and put it to a poll?
  • Pinkerton Security
    Pinkerton's son
    • Feb 2006

Re: New Head Coach

i think we fire jauron and hire april and think the browns fire mangini and hire billick and we then fire april and hire mangini who then voids his contract and takes a huge fine and then signs with dallas bc they tampered with him and then fire phillips who signs with the CFL.

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

Rob Ryan, Ted Cottrell, Jason Garrett, Gregg Williams, Dom Capers.

sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• The King
        Without me it's just Awe so
        • Jun 2004

Fisher isnt going to get Fired. His team was one of the best in football last year.
        I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
        "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
        You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
        It was all
        true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
        He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
        mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• The King
          • Jun 2004

What about Brian Billick?
          I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
          "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
          You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
          It was all
          true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
            Pinkerton's son
            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by MBBedard
            What about Brian Billick?
            Billick, Schottenheimer, Gruden and Cowher are the only guys I'd want.

Comment

• The King
              • Jun 2004

I wouldnt mind Shanny either
              It was all

Comment

• Billz_fan
                • Jan 2003

I think Shottenhiemer is our most realistic option of the "top Tier" coaches. He has some Buffalo ties (loose ones) and can probably be had for less than quite of few of the big names. He also has an excellent track record of turning losers into winners.

Granted, he has poor playoff records but ! he gets you there. All you need is a chance.
                The Polian Curse

"They're a very special group of men. Cherish them, you will not see their like again."

February 4, 1993 Bill Polian at his closing press conferance after being dismissed as GM of the Buffalo Bills by Ralph Wilson.

Comment

• YoungEz
                  • Sep 2008

I just don't see the Titans firing Fisher this year even if he is 3-13, he will get atleast another year. He has been there way too long and done too well.

Schottenheimer would be awesome... wouldnt mind Gruden out of those you listed...

Rob Ryan if he is anything like Rex Ryan than sure, I need to go look him up

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                    Pinkerton's son
                    • Feb 2006

Originally posted by MBBedard
                    I wouldnt mind Shanny either
                    oh yeah, add him to my list as well

Comment

• YoungEz
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Billz_fan
                      I think Shottenhiemer is our most realistic option of the "top Tier" coaches. He has some Buffalo ties (loose ones) and can probably be had for less than quite of few of the big names. He also has an excellent track record of turning losers into winners.

Granted, he has poor playoff records but ! he gets you there. All you need is a chance.
                      I think we would throw him a parade at this point for just the play offs, wouldn't worry about the winning a playoff game for awhile

Comment

• YoungEz
                        • Sep 2008

Why not bring in the colts old coach, we are just always talkin bout play offs

Comment

• bigbub2352
                          • Feb 2005

Marty Shottenheimer
                          Mike shanahan
                          Bill Cowher
                          Jon gruden
                          Brian Billick
                          Jim Hasselett
                          Mike Sherman
                          Mike Holmgren
                          Mike Martz
                          Steve Maruicci
                          Tony Dungy
                          take ur pick
                          throw in
                          Dennis Green
                          Jim Fassel
                          not my choices but i would love anyone that has a proven winning record and also good at picking assistant coachs
                          XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• trapezeus
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Oct 2004

The coaching issue is a FO issue. You keep the current scouting and GM team, a proven coach probably will scoff at it and a young naive coach might jump at it only to find out that he doesn't have enough sway to make personnel choices.

You remove that FO and bring in a proven GM and a real scouting unit, then all of a sudden you might be able to succeed with any coach, young or old.

My preference is to pass on schotty. He's been out of football for a while...he loves a good conservative game plan. The sportsguys theory on coaches over 55 holds true.

I like gruden...he's young, he's hungry. i am afraid that he isn't much of a QB scout so the fact that the position will be up in the air by the time he gets here is a little worrisome.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                              Pinkerton's son
                              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by bigbub2352
                              Marty Shottenheimer
                              Mike shanahan
                              Bill Cowher
                              Jon gruden
                              Brian Billick
                              Jim Hasselett
                              Mike Sherman
                              Mike Holmgren
                              Mike Martz
                              Steve Maruicci
                              Tony Dungy
                              take ur pick
                              throw in
                              Dennis Green
                              Jim Fassel
                              not my choices but i would love anyone that has a proven winning record and also good at picking assistant coachs
                              good list, but I wouldnt really want Fassell. Sherman didnt do much in GB. Mooch is overrated IMO.

and a big hell no to Denny Green.

Comment

Working...
                              X