PDA

View Full Version : New Head Coach

The Juice Is Loose
10-07-2009, 01:32 PM
Guys, I've brought this up a couple times but haven't gotten much feedback.

Who do you all think we should hire as our next head coach? Think about it. Let's keep in realistic and try to keep in mind things that may happens involving other teams.

I think Wade Phillips gets fired and Jeff Fisher gets fired. And then I think Dallas will hire Jeff Fisher.

I think Zorn gets fired and they hire Holmgren. I think Fox gets fired and then they hire Cowher.

I also have this feeling deep inside that San Diego is going to have tough sledding through the year, and that Norv Turner will get canned. I can really really see them going after Shanahan after that.

Other NFL coaches that could find themselves fired in January include Del Rio, Kubiak, Cable. Longshots but possibilities at this point also include Lovie Smith, Childress, and Lewis.

So of the currently unemployed coaches, the ones who I don't know of any likelyhood to sign with another club, the list looks like this:

Gruden, Shottenheimer, Shanahan, Sherman, Billick. I'm not going to list UFL coaches as I doubt they're coming back right away.

I mean who would you go after? The other possibility, as I see it the more likely one, is we hire a coordinator to be our next head coach. Names that are always included on these lists include:

Rob Ryan, Ted Cottrell, Jason Garrett, Gregg Williams, Dom Capers.

I'd have to say that I think Rob Ryan would be my guy. For all the reasons the Jets are doing well. He has a similar track record to Rex, he's just been on worse franchises (oak and cle).

He'd bring emotion and a 34. And if he's anything like his brother maybe some common sense when it comes to choosing players. This would maximize Maybin as he would be moved to OLB obviously. He's pretty much our biggest current investment other then Evans.

Not only that, but I bet he'd find a way to get more out of our players. Poz, Whitner, Schobel, Kelsay, Stroud, Mitchell...McKelvin...all these guys are still not old and still have tons of upside.

What do you all think? Let's put together a solid 10 coach list and put it to a poll?

Pinkerton Security
10-07-2009, 01:38 PM
i think we fire jauron and hire april and think the browns fire mangini and hire billick and we then fire april and hire mangini who then voids his contract and takes a huge fine and then signs with dallas bc they tampered with him and then fire phillips who signs with the CFL.

justasportsfan
10-07-2009, 01:39 PM
Rob Ryan, Ted Cottrell, Jason Garrett, Gregg Williams, Dom Capers.

:sigh:

The King
10-07-2009, 01:41 PM
Fisher isnt going to get Fired. His team was one of the best in football last year.

The King
10-07-2009, 01:42 PM
What about Brian Billick?

Pinkerton Security
10-07-2009, 01:44 PM
What about Brian Billick?

Billick, Schottenheimer, Gruden and Cowher are the only guys I'd want.

The King
10-07-2009, 01:44 PM
I wouldnt mind Shanny either

Billz_fan
10-07-2009, 01:47 PM
I think Shottenhiemer is our most realistic option of the "top Tier" coaches. He has some Buffalo ties (loose ones) and can probably be had for less than quite of few of the big names. He also has an excellent track record of turning losers into winners.

Granted, he has poor playoff records but ! he gets you there. All you need is a chance.

YoungEz
10-07-2009, 01:50 PM
I just don't see the Titans firing Fisher this year even if he is 3-13, he will get atleast another year. He has been there way too long and done too well.

Schottenheimer would be awesome... wouldnt mind Gruden out of those you listed...

Rob Ryan if he is anything like Rex Ryan than sure, I need to go look him up

Pinkerton Security
I wouldnt mind Shanny either

oh yeah, add him to my list as well

YoungEz
I think Shottenhiemer is our most realistic option of the "top Tier" coaches. He has some Buffalo ties (loose ones) and can probably be had for less than quite of few of the big names. He also has an excellent track record of turning losers into winners.

Granted, he has poor playoff records but ! he gets you there. All you need is a chance.

I think we would throw him a parade at this point for just the play offs, wouldn't worry about the winning a playoff game for awhile

YoungEz
10-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Why not bring in the colts old coach, we are just always talkin bout play offs

bigbub2352
10-07-2009, 02:22 PM
Marty Shottenheimer
Mike shanahan
Bill Cowher
Jon gruden
Brian Billick
Jim Hasselett
Mike Sherman
Mike Holmgren
Mike Martz
Steve Maruicci
Tony Dungy
take ur pick
throw in
Dennis Green
Jim Fassel
not my choices but i would love anyone that has a proven winning record and also good at picking assistant coachs

trapezeus
10-07-2009, 02:30 PM
The coaching issue is a FO issue. You keep the current scouting and GM team, a proven coach probably will scoff at it and a young naive coach might jump at it only to find out that he doesn't have enough sway to make personnel choices.

You remove that FO and bring in a proven GM and a real scouting unit, then all of a sudden you might be able to succeed with any coach, young or old.

My preference is to pass on schotty. He's been out of football for a while...he loves a good conservative game plan. The sportsguys theory on coaches over 55 holds true.

I like gruden...he's young, he's hungry. i am afraid that he isn't much of a QB scout so the fact that the position will be up in the air by the time he gets here is a little worrisome.

Pinkerton Security
10-07-2009, 02:36 PM
Marty Shottenheimer
Mike shanahan
Bill Cowher
Jon gruden
Brian Billick
Jim Hasselett
Mike Sherman
Mike Holmgren
Mike Martz
Steve Maruicci
Tony Dungy
take ur pick
throw in
Dennis Green
Jim Fassel
not my choices but i would love anyone that has a proven winning record and also good at picking assistant coachs

good list, but I wouldnt really want Fassell. Sherman didnt do much in GB. Mooch is overrated IMO.

and a big hell no to Denny Green.

bigbub2352
10-07-2009, 02:39 PM
good list, but I wouldnt really want Fassell. Sherman didnt do much in GB. Mooch is overrated IMO.

and a big hell no to Denny Green.
100% agree just naming names
i personally want
Shanahan
Cowher
Gruden
Shotty
and i wouldnt mind the cheap route and go with Hasellett his teams play hard

Prov401
10-07-2009, 02:48 PM
If I had my pick, I would have Mr. Wilson make Bill Cowher the highest paid coach in NFL history.

Now to be more realistic. I figure there are going to be a deffinite 5 teams looking for a new head coach next year in Buffalo, Houston, Dallas, Washington, and Jacksonville. Pending on how these next two teams play out the rest of the regular season, possibly Cincinatti and Carolina.

Now out of any of the coaches that do get fired, out of any one of those teams, I would prefer John Fox ahead of any of them. Knowing the current free agent head coaches out there, other than an un-realistic shot at Cowher, I'd say my wish list would include: Dungy, Holmgren, Shanahan, Gruden, Billick, and Fox in that very order. I know Dungy and Holmgren probably won't come back next year, so I guess we could start my list at Shanahan. If we were to sign Shanahan, we most certainly would hire Kubiak to run our offense. In essence, that's two head coaches on our team. I think that would be the ideal choice.

Either way, Ralph is going to have to dump some money into these coache's laps. I have a bad feeling that we may indeed give a rookie another chance. Maybe Brian Schottenheimer of the Jets, or Jason garret of the Cowboys. I don't want any of it. I would hire Shanahan.

T-Long
10-07-2009, 03:08 PM
Here is my wish list in order:

1. Bill Cowher
2. Tony Dungy
3. Jon Gruden
4. Mike Shanahan
5. Mike Holmgren
6. Rob Ryan
7. Herm Edwards
8. Brian Billick
9. Dom Capers
10. Brian Schottenheimer
11. Kirk Ferentz

I'll add more if I can think of any

Mudflap1
10-07-2009, 03:28 PM
1. Bill Cowher - Carolina, Washington, or Dallas. Big money.
2. Tony Dungy - he's retired for good.
3. Jon Gruden - maybe? Gonna have to shell out the bucks and have some real front office guys to assist.
4. Mike Shanahan - probably not, but possible if he's given total control (which I'm not in favor of). Big money. Probably Dallas or Washington.
5. Mike Holmgren - I thought he was retired for good, but recently I saw something that said he might have the itch again. Ordinarily I'd say no, because he prefers the west coast. However, since the 49ers are doing well, I guess there's an outside shot? Again, big money.
6. Rob Ryan - heck no! His brother is good though.
7. Herm Edwards - heck no!
8. Brian Billick - yes! Super Bowl winning coach who knows how to put an offense together. Multiple playoffs. Probably won't command Cowher/Shanahan/Gruden money.
9. Dom Capers - no! Good defensive coordinator and that's it.
10. Brian Schottenheimer - maybe, if we want an up and comer. Bills have bad recent history with up and comers.
11. Kirk Ferentz - same as #10. He is a good coach, but he needs a support system of front office guys to make it work.

Billz_fan
10-07-2009, 04:14 PM
Im not a Cowher fan. It took him what 10+ years to win the big one in Pittsburgh with the complete cooperation of the ownership and front office.

He ain't gonna have that luxury here. He is gonna have to win with less than the best possible circumstances and supporting cast. Not to mention a less than stellar front office.

yordad
10-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Im not a Cowher fan. It took him what 10+ years to win the big one in Pittsburgh with the complete cooperation of the ownership and front office.

He ain't gonna have that luxury here. He is gonna have to win with less than the best possible circumstances and supporting cast. Not to mention a less than stellar front office.Which is why I would fire the front office and bring in a winning coach with GM experience who can have the keys entirely. That way everyone is sure who is in charge. Everyone is sure who made the decisions. And, everyone is sure who to blame in three years after he screwed the pooch cuz the Bills are cursed. :ill:

yordad
10-07-2009, 04:19 PM
Oh, and to answer your original question Juice, I would fire Dick now and beat those other teams to the punch.

Billz_fan
10-07-2009, 04:20 PM
Which is why I would fire the front office and bring in a winning coach with GM experience who can have the keys entirely. That way everyone is sure who is in charge. Everyone is sure who made the decisions. And, everyone is sure who to blame in three years after he screwed the pooch cuz the Bills are cursed. :ill:

Ok, then. Under those circumstances, i will let you bring him in for an interview :D

Pinkerton Security
10-07-2009, 04:29 PM

He ain't gonna have that luxury here. He is gonna have to win with less than the best possible circumstances and supporting cast. Not to mention a less than stellar front office.

The year before Cowher went to Pitt, they were 7-9. He came on in January 1992 and in his first year, Steelers were 11-5 and had home field in the AFC (after missing the playoffs six out of the 7 previous years).

In 1995, three years into his tenure, they went to the Super Bowl and lost.

Cowher is only the second coach in NFL history to lead his team to the playoffs in each of his first six seasons as head coach.

Soooooo yeah, I'd say you're pretty much dead wrong fella.

Billz_fan
10-07-2009, 04:30 PM
I siad it took him 10+ years to win the big one.

Whats wrong with that fella ?

In fact it was 14 years to win the big one.

I didn't say anything about winning games did I ?

BillsWin
10-07-2009, 04:43 PM
Marty and Billick are the only top tier coaches I see coming to Buffalo.

Pinkerton Security
10-07-2009, 05:18 PM
I siad it took him 10+ years to win the big one.

Whats wrong with that fella ?

In fact it was 14 years to win the big one.

I didn't say anything about winning games did I ?

no, but you intimated that he was perhaps not a winner or something, and the guy is a great coach who did win a lot of games.

Billz_fan
10-07-2009, 05:26 PM
no, but you intimated that he was perhaps not a winner or something, and the guy is a great coach who did win a lot of games.

I made 1 statement that was a fact about how long it took to win the SB. The rest is my opinion of the difference between the Steelers front office, organization and players vs the Bills front office organization and players.

The point of my post is that I doubt Cowher could succeed in Buffalo because he will not get the same type of cooperation and commitment to winning that he did in Pittsburgh. Also, even with all that commitment it took 14 years for the first Super Bowl win.

BuffaloRanger
10-07-2009, 05:44 PM
Gruden would become Buffalo's new favorite son. My #1 pick.

Schottenheimer was a Buffalo LB. I like that connection.

Shanny is a great coach with Elway and Terrel Davis. haha

But really the question should be:

Who should the Bills hire as a real GM?

He'll then pick the coach. Who is hopefully Gruden.
Cottrell or Ryan as DC.

Mr. Pink
10-07-2009, 05:46 PM
Kirk Ferentz!

paladin warrior
10-07-2009, 07:37 PM
If Buffalo Bills lost this sunday. what happen to Dick J. Fire or stay. If Dick J going to fire on sunday night or on monday/tuesday/wesenday.

Nighthawk
10-07-2009, 08:19 PM
Ummm, I stopped reading after you said you thought Fisher was getting fired. Now that is funny stuff.

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
10-07-2009, 08:50 PM
I want Chucky

BertSquirtgum
10-07-2009, 09:06 PM
ralph will completely lose it and his senile ass will make himself the head coach.

yordad
10-07-2009, 09:09 PM
Once upon a time they let the Coach draft and pick the free agent targets. Now they got all kinds of other guys for that. I want a coach that has all the say. A Parcells type guy. Someone who has done it before. Mike Holmgren did it for the Seahawks for a while. He was like 11 points shy of being the only coach in NFL history to win the Super Bowl with two different teams. He is a Marv/Wilson type guy too.

I really don't know who else has had almost all the say in who gets signed, drafted, or who doesn't. But I know Jauron would say something like "I coach who they give me" if he would ever speak candidly enough.

Bmax
10-07-2009, 09:51 PM
I 'm going to throw another name out there .. to look out for Darren Bevill-the Off coordinator for the Vikings for the last four years...39...if the Vikings go far he will be one of the hot guys that teams pursue..

Marty at 66 is too old for me...

My favs would be Billick, Shanahan , and Brian Schottenheimer who is one of the hottest asst coaches right now he will be a head coach soon....

Ferentz is guy who i wouldn't mind getting .. the guy knows how to coach ..and is good at developing o lines ...

Bmax