PDA

View Full Version : Good news on Ryan Denney....

Michael82
05-27-2003, 04:11 PM
I just caught this on another messageboard....:up:

Bills beat reporter Jeff Morrison gave a report on Howard Simon today regarding the Bills' practice today. Aside from mentioning that Sam Adams looked like he was "lumbering" (Morrison's exact words) what piqued my interest was what he said about Ryan Denney. Denney has apparently put on about 15 lbs of muscle, seems quicker and has a better attitude. He was working as the #1 left DE, though that was in part because Marcus Jones has yet to get in a position to work out in team drills. Denney "looks like what a defensive end should look like," according to Morrison.

:gobills:

Mr. Miyagi
05-27-2003, 04:30 PM
:bf1:

Tatonka
05-27-2003, 04:46 PM
what does "same adams was lumbering" mean??

if denny was to turn out to play as well as we had hoped he would last year, that would just be a huge addition that none of us were expecting.

lunatic_bills_fan
05-27-2003, 04:53 PM
Damn I hope "lumbering" isnt a bad thing.

Stewie
05-27-2003, 06:48 PM
It's May people. May.

Doc
05-27-2003, 06:58 PM
Lumbering is not a good adjective. However as Paulb said, it's May. Hearing about Denney is good, as is the news about Edwards. Hopefully they'll continue to build on it and show something in games.

Ebenezer
05-27-2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by paulB
It's May people. May.

which means good news about Denney or bad news about Adams means nothing.

justasportsfan
05-27-2003, 07:12 PM
It's about time Denny and Edwards step up. If they do, man what depth.

All this hype on Kelsay should get Denny thinking about his future.

R. Rich
05-27-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer

which means good news about Denney or bad news about Adams means nothing.

Still, if it means a change in Denney's work ethic and his attitude, that is what's important. If he's working just as hard in August and September as he is now, great. I hope that's exactly what he does; we need quality depth on the DL.

Billsouth
05-27-2003, 08:18 PM
sam adams will always lumber because he is a big tree trunk in the middle, ala ted washington. when did big ted NOt lumber? as long as he is like running into a tree come september we will be in great shape.

Turf
05-27-2003, 08:20 PM
I wish people would quit picking on his weight and size, it's so typically internet juvenile.

casdhf
05-27-2003, 08:42 PM
I don't see what the big deal is. He was a second round pick, he must have had some talent.

RedEyE
05-27-2003, 11:50 PM
He's nearly 400lbs. Adams has no choice but to lumber.

WG
05-27-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by lunatic_bills_fan
Damn I hope "lumbering" isnt a bad thing.

Can you think of a time when "lumbering" was a compliment. LOL

It doesn't matter. Adams is a plug! He'll be far better than what we had last year.

As to this being "only May", it's days away from June and Adams isn't the type of guy to get in shape in two weeks. Between Jones and Adams, I'm concerned.

It'd be great if Denney turns out to be anything more than average.

eyedog
05-28-2003, 01:17 AM
What worries me about "lumbering" Sam is his stamina. He will do a good job for a "x" amount of plays. The question with him will be how many is "x". Is he gonna be so out of shape that he actually has to split time with the third d-tackle ? I want more than that. Especially since our #3 isn't all that great.

Lone Stranger
05-28-2003, 02:50 AM
From what I recall about Adams contract there are a lot of contingencies. It seems that Adams is content to eat himself out of a job. It's not likely he'll meet the contingencies and won't be a major cost to the team. This still is a worthwhile shot.

venis2k1
05-28-2003, 04:43 AM
Im sure that Adams will be in playing shape by the first pre season game.

Earthquake Enyart
05-28-2003, 06:41 AM
Denney looks good? :eek:

Alonzo Spellman looked damn good too.

Sam is a fat tub of goo. He's not going to be Fred Smerlas.

Tatonka
05-28-2003, 07:40 AM
thank god he is not going to be fred smerlas.. i dont want to see another mustache like that ever.

Jeff1220
05-28-2003, 11:34 AM
Funny, I just read an article by Pat Kirwin (I'll go find the link) that said that Denney is on the bubble and could very well be a June 1 cut. I'll go search now...

Jeff1220
05-28-2003, 11:38 AM
Here it is:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/6394164

The second situation was enhanced by clubs who let me know who might be on the bubble. In some cases, club executives didn't want to discuss their players for fear the players would find out they were being shopped around. So, usually we created our own list, and with that in mind, here are 15 players this season who would have made my 50 list. The better the player, the more likelihood a trade would have to take place, but in June it didn't matter as much whether it would be a trade or a waiver claim. We were just getting prepared.

2. Ryan Denney, defensive lineman, Buffalo. The Bills drafted Chris Kelsay and have six defensive ends on the roster. With no sacks in 2002 and down on the depth chart, he makes my list.

Jeff1220
05-28-2003, 11:40 AM
I suppose someone who was there and saw him play has more say than this guy (KIrwin), who's merely creating a list.

BillsNYC
05-28-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy

Can you think of a time when "lumbering" was a compliment. LOL

how about those who worked for the US forest service in the late 19th century? :lol!:

TigerJ
05-28-2003, 09:59 PM
I knew an elderly woman whose husband had died 70 years early because he wasn't careful while lumbering. I hope Sam is careful or he may find his football career has died.