PDA

View Full Version : D-line turnaround starts with Sanders

patmoran2006
10-08-2009, 08:03 AM
Good article by psubills62

LINK (http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/2009/10/d-line-turnaround-starts-with-sanders/)

Syderick
10-08-2009, 08:08 AM
Yea, Bob Sanders has really helped the DL in sacks this year. He coaches more of the technique. Who's Sam Cassel?

psubills62
10-08-2009, 08:16 AM
Yea, Bob Sanders has really helped the DL in sacks this year. He coaches more of the technique. Who's Sam Cassel?
Dunno. That one's on both the editor and myself. I just put, "with Cassel at the helm" in the original. I should have typed the full name. Obviously I was talking about Matt Cassel.

Honestly, it's amazing what he's been able to do with our DL so far. Schobel seems like his old self, Kelsay looks like an actual defensive end, etc. I think they obviously need to work on defending the run, but the pass rush has been quite good.

Syderick
10-08-2009, 08:20 AM
Yea I like the old Schobel back.

patmoran2006
10-08-2009, 08:34 AM
Dunno. That one's on both the editor and myself. I just put, "with Cassel at the helm" in the original. I should have typed the full name. Obviously I was talking about Matt Cassel.

Honestly, it's amazing what he's been able to do with our DL so far. Schobel seems like his old self, Kelsay looks like an actual defensive end, etc. I think they obviously need to work on defending the run, but the pass rush has been quite good.
Oops! (fixed)

I was in NBA mode with that one (Sam)

DMBcrew36
10-08-2009, 08:36 AM
They look alright. QBs are still getting comfortable and picking us apart, though.

psubills62
10-08-2009, 08:40 AM
They look alright. QBs are still getting comfortable and picking us apart, though.

Obviously they're not getting pressure on EVERY play (especially against Brady). But it's a whole heck of a lot better than it has been.

trapezeus
10-08-2009, 08:41 AM
and in some ways QBs aren't even throwing because the run has been so successful.

psubills62
10-08-2009, 08:46 AM
and in some ways QBs aren't even throwing because the run has been so successful.

It's true. That's one area where the DL really needs to improve. I didn't mention it in the article because I was trying to focus on where they have already improved. Although I'd love to re-watch the tape and see who is mainly responsible for the bad run defense: the LB's or the DL. With the LB shakeup, Fewell seems to be implying that it is their fault.

EDS
10-08-2009, 09:36 AM
It's true. That's one area where the DL really needs to improve. I didn't mention it in the article because I was trying to focus on where they have already improved. Although I'd love to re-watch the tape and see who is mainly responsible for the bad run defense: the LB's or the DL. With the LB shakeup, Fewell seems to be implying that it is their fault.

that and there are no options even if he wanted to do a shake-up on the interior of the d-line.

patmoran2006
10-08-2009, 09:39 AM
that and there are no options even if he wanted to do a shake-up on the interior of the d-line.

I think aside from Fred Jackson, our DT play has been he strength of the team this season.. Trust me, its not the DT's fault teams have run on us the past two weeks.

madness
10-08-2009, 09:41 AM
That's where missing Poz ,Whitner, and Scott hurts the most. Our run defense was the D's strong point at the beginning of the year.

The Jokeman
10-08-2009, 10:01 AM
It's because we get little push inside. As while Kyle Williams is a great story with his lunch pail mentality I still think he's below average when it comes to being a starting DT.

psubills62
10-08-2009, 10:06 AM

It's possible to do a shakeup of the DL, it would just be obvious downgrades. Whereas with the LB's, going from Buggs to Palmer is more of a lateral move, if not an upgrade.

madness
10-08-2009, 10:06 AM
It's because we get little push inside. As while Kyle Williams is a great story with his lunch pail mentality I still think he's below average when it comes to being a starting DT.

Any other season I'd agree with you but if he keeps up how he's been playing this season, he deserves to be a starter.

psubills62
10-08-2009, 10:07 AM
That's where missing Poz ,Whitner, and Scott hurts the most. Our run defense was the D's strong point at the beginning of the year.

Agreed. Teams have seemingly been able to get to the edge very easily against the Bills in recent games. However, at the same time they run up the gut pretty well. I can't wait until Poz comes back. I think people underestimate what he can do until he's out.

justasportsfan
10-08-2009, 10:27 AM
Unfortunately the improved DL hasn't improved enough to beat other teams since our O is on the side of the opposing teams we face.

EDS
10-08-2009, 10:39 AM
I think aside from Fred Jackson, our DT play has been he strength of the team this season.. Trust me, its not the DT's fault teams have run on us the past two weeks.

Let's be honest, there is a huge difference between a truly effective defensive line like the Giants and what the Bills have.

The way the team has been giving up running yards makes the d-line play highly suspect.

BuffaloRanger
10-08-2009, 10:49 AM
Not criticizing the article.

But I think across the board, as fans our standard for what passes as solid D-line play has been beaten down over the last few years.

Now if it is improved from the year before things are looking up.

psubills62
10-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Not criticizing the article.

But I think across the board, as fans our standard for what passes as solid D-line play has been beaten down over the last few years.

Now if it is improved from the year before things are looking up.

Like I said, the run defense needs work. But considering the Bills are 6th in the league in sacks, we're doing pretty well.

Considering three of the five teams ahead of us have gotten the majority of their sacks from the Packers (who have a really bad OL, just gave up 8 sacks to the Vikings in one game), I'd say we're doing quite well. Right now, it's not just that we've improved from last year. It's that we're one of the better pass-rushing teams in the league.

DMBcrew36
10-08-2009, 12:04 PM
If Maybin is able to finally contribute some day and actually show some effectiveness, we'll definitely be much better for it, also.

patmoran2006
10-08-2009, 01:12 PM
Congrats.. Tim from ESPN linked this story today
http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post?id=4372

HHURRICANE
10-08-2009, 01:19 PM
Our d-line sucks.

Dr. Lecter
10-08-2009, 01:24 PM
Our d-line sucks.

No.

The LBs suck.

The D-line has actually done fairly well. Even Kelsay, much to my shock.

psubills62
10-08-2009, 01:30 PM
No.

The LBs suck.

The D-line has actually done fairly well. Even Kelsay, much to my shock.

Kelsay was even getting pressure in Week 1, despite not recording a sack. He's surprised me quite thoroughly.

psubills62
10-08-2009, 01:31 PM
Congrats.. Tim from ESPN linked this story today
http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post?id=4372

Mucho props to you, Pat, for using those connections!

colin
10-08-2009, 02:07 PM
our d line has been pretty fuggin decent.

our DBs are very good, but all hurt :<.

our linebacker play has sucked the bag. like horrible. from what we have out there right now, we could upgrade about 50 guys in the nfl. that's horrible. god i wish we went out and got lance briggs a couple years ago!

psubills62
10-08-2009, 02:12 PM
our d line has been pretty fuggin decent.

our DBs are very good, but all hurt :<.

our linebacker play has sucked the bag. like horrible. from what we have out there right now, we could upgrade about 50 guys in the nfl. that's horrible. god i wish we went out and got lance briggs a couple years ago!

Agreed. Briggs is an excellent player, and the price tag wasn't even close to as expensive as I thought it was going to be for him. He would have been a MUCH better pickup than Mitchell.