PDA

View Full Version : Strength of schedule

Mr. Miyagi
05-27-2003, 04:50 PM
I don't know if anyone has posted this yet, but according to CBS Sportsline we have the 17th toughest schedule this season, as opposed to THE toughest schedule as we did last season.

Top 5:

NY Jets
Dallas
Philly
Tampa
Jacksonville

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/exclusives/strength

BillsOwnAll
05-27-2003, 05:09 PM
jets play mostly the same teams we do so hopefully that means they think were tough

Alien (<>..<>)
05-27-2003, 05:15 PM
It's unfair that the Jets have the hardest schedule!!! But we will beat you Bills in both games...

THATHURMANATOR
05-27-2003, 06:48 PM
Um I guess???

Mad Bomber
05-27-2003, 07:49 PM
I think we have an easier schedule than last year...
We do have to play the Eagles at home, at KC, the Giants, and Tennesee, but all in all it's easier than last year. With our upgraded D, we should do OK this year...

Turf
05-27-2003, 08:00 PM
Really means nothing. The turnover in the NFL causes good teams to get bad and bad teams to get better in one season. Strength of schedule means almost nothing as compared to 10 years ago.

Billsouth
05-27-2003, 08:16 PM
that is very true. the best evidence of travis's point is that the year preceding the rams, ravens and patriots superbowl victories, they all had losing records.

the nfl is truly a "what have you done for me lately league" and focusing on last years teams doesnt work.

Dozerdog
05-27-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Alien (&lt;&gt;..&lt;&gt;)
It's unfair that the Jets have the hardest schedule!!! But we will beat you Bills in both games...

Welcome to the Zone!

Strength of schedule within the division is a moot point. Everybody in the division plays the same teams except for 2 opponents. Look at last year- except for the Texans and Bengals, our schedule with the Jets was Identical! Why the SoS was varied, they counted our 3-13 2001 schedule twice into the formula, driving the other team's SoS down.

WG
05-27-2003, 09:57 PM
Indeed! If the Jets, Phins, and Pats are all 4-12 teams, that would make them easier than teams that are 12-4. SoS has nothing to do w/ the "other teams in your division by comparison", it has to do w/ the strength of the overall teams that you play, whether they are in the division or not. Divisional teams you obviously meet twice a year which can be good or bad dependent upon how good they are.

IMO the Pats and Phins will be better this year, the Jets who knows although likely about the same one way or another. So on that merit alone, we've got a tougher schedule.

Last Year........This Year
---------------------------------Top Tier
G.B......................Philly
Oakland..............Tennessee
N.E......................N.E.
N.E......................N.E.
Miami..................Miami
Miami..................Miami
Jets....................Jets
Jets....................Jets
---------------------------------Middle Tier
Denver...............Giants
K.C.....................K.C.
S.D.....................Indy
Minnesota..........Washington
---------------------------------Bottom Tier
Chicago..............Jax
Houston.............Dallas
Detroit...............Houston
Cincy.................Cincy

I think this year's schedule is more difficult as well, I don't care how they rank it. Especially for us. The odds of us playing Miami w/o Fiedler, Chambers, and another are slim. As well, Miami and the Pats have improved. Philly is better than any team that we faced last year. Tennessee may end up being better than both G.B. and Oakland were last season too, in any case, about the same.

So our divisional games will be against tougher foes although we'll be better too. IMO we are the ones who have made the biggest marginal gains in talent overall.

As well, last year we played 4 total scrub teams in Chi, Det, Hou, and Cincy. This year Houston will be improved and we only play one team of that caliber in Cincy. After that, while we should easily beat Jax, Dallas, Houston, and Washington, they are not as gimme as last year's easiest 4 games were. JMO.

Alien (<>..<>)
Thanks Dozerdog!!!

Cant wait for the season to start, so we can see how Jets and Bills do.......

Typ0
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7758&highlight=strenght+of+schedule

I thought that analysis was pretty interesting. Keep in mind that is not the previous seasons records being used but the records at the time the teams played.

Mr. Miyagi
05-28-2003, 10:49 AM
I agree with Wys. Great anaylysis bro! :up:

Cntrygal
05-28-2003, 12:52 PM
Welcome to the Zone, Alien!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:gobills: ;)