PDA

View Full Version : Pheonix-Buffalo GDT

OpIv37
10-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Looks like no one started one yet so I'll start....

-CI only has the Coyotes feed (at least it's in HD). Is the crowd completely out of it, or is it just the way they're doing the sound? I've heard more cheering from Sabres fans during away games than I'm hearing now.

-Pommers is having a great game defensively.

-WTF is up with Roy and the face-offs? He had the same problem against Montreal.

-Myers had a couple of really good shifts, but his last one at the end of the first was sloppy. He fell twice.

-Plenty of chances, no goals. Where is the offensive firepower this team is supposed to have?

DraftBoy
10-08-2009, 07:02 PM
Now I dont get to see much Sabres hockey much, so Im watching this as one of my only games this year but do we just not hit?

OpIv37
10-08-2009, 07:12 PM
Now I dont get to see much Sabres hockey much, so Im watching this as one of my only games this year but do we just not hit?

Kaleta, Gaustad and Rivet hit.

Everyone else, not so much.

OpIv37
10-08-2009, 07:13 PM
And I liked the way Montador was playing until that stupid penalty.

DraftBoy
10-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Kaleta, Gaustad and Rivet hit.

Everyone else, not so much.

Well Im only 3/4 watching, stupid fed govt job apps with these ****ing KSA's...

OpIv37
10-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Great job by Hecht and Grier on the PK.

OpIv37
10-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Well Im only 3/4 watching, stupid fed govt job apps with these ****ing KSA's...

that's the exact reason why I've never applied for them. Let's see... I can spend 3 hours filling out a KSA to wait three months just to see if I'm getting an interview, or I can spend 20 minutes filling out an online app and sending a resume to a private company to make more money and get hired immediately.... let me think about that one for a second....

DraftBoy
10-08-2009, 07:26 PM
that's the exact reason why I've never applied for them. Let's see... I can spend 3 hours filling out a KSA to wait three months just to see if I'm getting an interview, or I can spend 20 minutes filling out an online app and sending a resume to a private company to make more money and get hired immediately.... let me think about that one for a second....

Fed govt is the biggest one hiring right now and you can't beat the benefits in this economy. If you know a private company hiring policy people let me know though. Im looking to get out of Georgia anyways.

Back to the topic....

I see the Sabres being much more aggressive this period than I though they looked in the 1st.

OpIv37
10-08-2009, 07:30 PM
they are definitely getting to the net more- just nothing to show for it.

This LaBarbera guy is ****ing pissing me off. I hope his paycheck bounces.

DraftBoy
10-08-2009, 07:32 PM
they are definitely getting to the net more- just nothing to show for it.

This LaBarbera guy is ****ing pissing me off. I hope his paycheck bounces.

He's looked incredible so far.

OpIv37
10-08-2009, 07:39 PM
two ****ty calls there. They blew the whistle too early on the goal, then they let that ****ing Coyote player lay on the puck for 5 ****ing seconds.

OpIv37
10-08-2009, 08:18 PM
that's TWO 4-minute PP's where the Sabres failed to score. Just pathetic.

Nighthawk
10-08-2009, 08:20 PM
If Roy had as many points as he has giveaways...he's be the best player in the f'n NHL!

OpIv37
10-08-2009, 08:37 PM
If Roy had as many points as he has giveaways...he's be the best player in the f'n NHL!

he still looks a lot better than Vanek so far. Other than that one goal and one breakup, the guy's been invisible. 120 minutes of hockey plus the OT against Montreal, and he's been relevant for 3 of them.

Nighthawk
10-08-2009, 08:40 PM
A win is a win, but this team looks exactly the same to me. I do love how Myers has played and he may be playing the best hockey out of all of our defenseman.

Michael82
10-08-2009, 08:54 PM
A win is a win, but this team looks exactly the same to me. I do love how Myers has played and he may be playing the best hockey out of all of our defenseman.
yeah...not a whole lot different. The new blood helps, but the same guys from last year still can't score and aren't good at handling the puck. :ill:

Nighthawk
10-08-2009, 09:09 PM
yeah...not a whole lot different. The new blood helps, but the same guys from last year still can't score and aren't good at handling the puck. :ill:

It's scary how much this team looks like the same team we've been watching for the past 2 years. I would love to see them deal a "big" name on this club and bring in another big name. Change the lockerroom dynamic and watch this team be different.

Dr. Lecter
10-08-2009, 09:13 PM
I don't think the team is all that much the same.

They score less, but are much tougher and grittier.

They might not be better, but the team is quite different. The results might not be better, but saying they are the same is not what I am seeing at all.

Ground Chuck
10-08-2009, 09:19 PM
The defensemen are waaaay better than they've been in years.

Michael82
10-08-2009, 10:05 PM

They might not be better, but the team is quite different. The results might not be better, but saying they are the same is not what I am seeing at all.
true...the defensemen are definitely a lot tougher and grittier. But we still can't score. That's why it's the same...

Dr. Lecter
10-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Scoring was not bad last year. I think they were in the top half of the NHL.

JD
10-08-2009, 10:29 PM
I'm not sure what game they were watching..but this team definitely looks better over the past 2 years. Better defense and tougher play along the boards. I sense plenty of 1-goal games this year..in our favor.

Go Miller.

Meathead
10-08-2009, 11:03 PM
ive been generally pleased with their game so far. most of the time theyve been sharp and committing very few mistakes. and although shot totals can be misleading, theyve had enough chances to win each game

as always, it comes down to the ability to finish more than anything else. in that respect they are 1-1

theyve got plenty enough maturity now they should be able to pull out games more consistently. thats what im looking for this season

BlackMetalNinja
10-09-2009, 07:33 AM
No mention at all of the much more aggressive forechecking they displayed? That's certainly not the same thing we've seen the last 2 years.

hydro
10-09-2009, 07:41 AM
No mention at all of the much more aggressive forechecking they displayed? That's certainly not the same thing we've seen the last 2 years.

EVERYTHING LOOKS THE SAME! Don't deny it...

BlackMetalNinja
10-09-2009, 07:44 AM
EVERYTHING LOOKS THE SAME! Don't deny it...Well it was either going to be everything looks the same OR we have no offense and we can't score... which I warned of when everybody was crying for grit and toughness to no end.

Sure we need that, but as with everything, in moderation. Finding the balance is the key, and I'll give them more than 2 games to work that out personally.

Dr. Lecter
10-09-2009, 07:45 AM
I'll give them more than 2 games to work that out personally.

Dumbass.

SabreEleven
10-09-2009, 09:26 AM
Even though the PP had a lot of chance, I thought they were more aggressive. It just wasn't Roy sitting on the half-wall with the puck for 2 minutes playing catch with a defense man...It has potential...for now.

RockStar36
10-09-2009, 11:35 AM
Those people saying "no scoring, more of the same" should probably watch more games. The Sabres have routinely been one of the more offensive team in years past. In fact, last year they averaged right around 3 goals per game the past 2 years.

Everyone wanted a team that had more "grit" and "toughness". Well, this is what we're going to have.

And in my opinion, this is the type of game they might have lost last year or taken to OT. They found a way to win in the 3rd and that should be very pleasing.

Nighthawk
10-09-2009, 12:26 PM

I think you're trying too hard to see a better product when the product has not changed much. I understand people wanting them to be different, but I don't see it. They still look like a very mediocre team who gives the puck away too much. I still see Roy, Connolly, Pominville, Hecht, Vanek...all shying away from contact in the corners. This team is still not strong on the puck and get knocked off it at will. I love Myers, but besides him, everything is the same. Grier looks old and slow, so that's a bit dissappointing to me. I really thought he could help this team, but he just doesn't seem to have the legs anymore...not that he was ever a burner, but he looks like he is skating in cement. I just don't think the core players on this team are players who you want to be leading the way. I hope I'm wrong, but I've said it before and nothing changed.

Nighthawk
10-09-2009, 12:30 PM
Those people saying "no scoring, more of the same" should probably watch more games. The Sabres have routinely been one of the more offensive team in years past. In fact, last year they averaged right around 3 goals per game the past 2 years.

Everyone wanted a team that had more "grit" and "toughness". Well, this is what we're going to have.

And in my opinion, this is the type of game they might have lost last year or taken to OT. They found a way to win in the 3rd and that should be very pleasing.

Sorry, but the same players are getting the majority of the playing time, so the grit and toughness comment is really skewed. I watch almost everygame, I know what I'm seeing. It's early and everybody has high hopes that this team all of a sudden becomes a good team...I don't know that they are. I hope they are, but I haven't seen too many positives in these first two games. However, it's early, so who knows.

Nighthawk
10-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Even though the PP had a lot of chance, I thought they were more aggressive. It just wasn't Roy sitting on the half-wall with the puck for 2 minutes playing catch with a defense man...It has potential...for now.

They weren't successful for most of the night because they refuse to move their feet. They are a very lazy team. When they actually move their feet, as they did on Vanek's goal, it gets the other team moving and puts them out of position. Too many times in these first two games, this team just doesn't move when they have the man advantage. Moving your feet and moving the puck will equal success for the Sabres. That is the biggest problem I see with their PP.

Nighthawk
10-09-2009, 12:36 PM
I'm not sure what game they were watching..but this team definitely looks better over the past 2 years. Better defense and tougher play along the boards. I sense plenty of 1-goal games this year..in our favor.

Go Miller.

Huh??? This team looks like a bunch of pussies along the boards...especially the forwards. They very rarily come out of the corner with the puck. Wow, the kool-aid is flowing after one win.

JD
10-09-2009, 01:44 PM
Why do you even watch, really? I was drinking last night but I wasn't drunk.. they look better already.

BlackMetalNinja
10-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Some people are just so determined to dislike whatever is in front of them that they only see what they want. I saw a team who put up nearly 40 shots on goal (wait... I know, they can't finish) and a goalie who was very hot in LaBarbara last night shutting them down. The power play didn't look amazing, but it scored when it counted and we won the game.

The forecheck was 5x as aggressive as anything we saw last year and both teams were playing an up and down style right from the start. Certainly this team needs to improve from last year, nobody doubting that, but again, I say it's been 2 games and we have points in each of them... the world hasn't ended yet. If in a month from now, we're truly playing lazy and getting beaten to the puck left and right and we're floundering in the middle of the conference, maybe then we can say they are the "SAME", but why not actually give them a chance to prove otherwise?

Michael82
10-09-2009, 02:20 PM
I love the play of our defense. For once we are tough and hitting hard, plus good at defending the puck. :up:

OpIv37
10-09-2009, 07:10 PM

so, if we add toughness at the expense of scoring, then we lose 2-1 instead of 5-4. What did we really gain?

Dr. Lecter
10-09-2009, 08:14 PM
I don't know if people are disagreeing with that idea, but are disagreeing with the idea that the team is exactly the same when in fact it is different.

Meathead
10-09-2009, 08:53 PM
kinda silly to be talking about all this after two games. every season you have to find out what you have as a team and whether its going to work. ask the habs

Nighthawk
10-09-2009, 09:36 PM
I love the play of our defense. For once we are tough and hitting hard, plus good at defending the puck. :up:

I agree..they better not even think about sending Myers back to Juniors!

Ground Chuck
10-09-2009, 09:42 PM
I agree..they better not even think about sending Myers back to Juniors!
If you noticed, Myers was on the ice a lot against the Coyotes best line.

He's not going anywhere.

Nighthawk
10-09-2009, 09:43 PM
If you noticed, Myers was on the ice a lot against the Coyotes best line.

He's not going anywhere.

I hope not, but we are talking about the Sabres organization...who knows what they're likely to do!

RockStar36
10-10-2009, 10:34 AM
so, if we add toughness at the expense of scoring, then we lose 2-1 instead of 5-4. What did we really gain?

I'm not sure, but seeing that the Sabres have yet to lose in regulation, it's hard to answer your question.

OpIv37
10-10-2009, 12:38 PM
I'm not sure, but seeing that the Sabres have yet to lose in regulation, it's hard to answer your question.

they blew a lead instead of a regulation win, they ended up with an OT loss to a division rival. That's a 3 point swing in the standings- instead of being 2 points up on them, we're 1 point down.

And then they needed a 3rd period comeback to defeat a team in ownership limbo that flew all the way across the country and played the night before while the Sabres had 5 days off.

Sorry if I'm less than impressed so far....

Dr. Lecter
10-10-2009, 01:29 PM
they blew a lead instead of a regulation win, they ended up with an OT loss to a division rival. That's a 3 point swing in the standings- instead of being 2 points up on them, we're 1 point down.

And then they needed a 3rd period comeback to defeat a team in ownership limbo that flew all the way across the country and played the night before while the Sabres had 5 days off.

Sorry if I'm less than impressed so far....

Having 5 days off is not necessarily a positive. And the team they beat was 2-0, including shutting out the Stanley Cup champions the night before in the champs house.

But then again, you spin wins like the are losses. I seem to recall that you get pissed when people use the back-to back game excuse for the Sabres, so why does it apply to the Coyotes? And why is their comeback win a bad thing?

You are talking out both of sides of your mouth on this one. Of course the season is 2 games old, so it is hard to draw a conclusion, but *****ing about the Sabres now is silly. They are on pace for 120 + points.

Meathead
10-10-2009, 04:54 PM
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/2660/op3z.gif

OpIv37
10-10-2009, 05:00 PM
Having 5 days off is not necessarily a positive. And the team they beat was 2-0, including shutting out the Stanley Cup champions the night before in the champs house.

But then again, you spin wins like the are losses. I seem to recall that you get pissed when people use the back-to back game excuse for the Sabres, so why does it apply to the Coyotes? And why is their comeback win a bad thing?

You are talking out both of sides of your mouth on this one. Of course the season is 2 games old, so it is hard to draw a conclusion, but *****ing about the Sabres now is silly. They are on pace for 120 + points.

So what would you rather do- have 5 days off and play at home, or fly across the country and play back-to-back road games? I guarantee the overwhelming majority of players and coaches would take the former if you played them.

The Sabres have scored 3 goals in 2 games. That may be enough to beat a team that flew across the country and had to play back to back road games, but it won't beat Detroit later this week or Ottawa, Boston, Washington or a lot of other teams on the schedule.

Meathead
10-10-2009, 05:13 PM
no comment on the cartoon? at least i tried to capture your mexican heritage

Meathead
10-10-2009, 05:27 PM
fixed

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/5250/op3hat.gif

JD
10-10-2009, 05:40 PM
Nighthawk and Op should go out for a beer sometime, they'd complain about everything the entire time

Nighthawk
10-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Nighthawk and Op should go out for a beer sometime, they'd complain about everything the entire time

Yep, and you know what? I haven't been wrong too many times, but let's not post that!