PDA

View Full Version : Bills like GM Bruce Allen?

madness
10-11-2009, 10:32 AM
Buffalo: His players sang happy birthday to Dick Jauron on Wednesday, but that figures to be the last such celebration in Buffalo. The no-huddle offense hasn't been working, and Jauron was one of three head coaches who dumped his offensive coordinator during the preseason. Former Tampa Bay GM Bruce Allen's name has popped up with the Bills, but he may have other offers at the end of the season.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/10201846/Countdown:-Previewing-every-NFL-game

He was fired at the same time as Gruden. Interesting...

Mudflap1
10-11-2009, 10:34 AM
Definitely an upgrade. Let's go for it.

Coach Sal
10-11-2009, 10:41 AM
Allen and Gruden are tied to each other. They were in Oakland together than he went to Tampa to join Gruden after a couple years.

I'm a Gruden fan as a coach.

Not a fan of the combo.

Coach Sal
10-11-2009, 10:49 AM
Allen and Gruden together completely destroyed the Bucs from a personnel-building standpoint.

They have had virtually no draft picks that have developed into what was expected.

Their philosophy was to bring in older players and sprinkle in a few draft picks here and there.

Look at the Bucs draft under these guys. A few decent players, but overall pretty horrible, especially considering where they took some of these guys.

Allen was there since 2004.
Gruden since 2002:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=4900&type=team

trapezeus
10-11-2009, 11:16 AM
interesting take sal. but they did go all out and get a superbowl. i'm willing to live with mediocrity if we get a superbowl sprinkled in there. give me a superbowl next year, i'll be more than happy to take another 10 years of crap football in return.

psubills62
10-11-2009, 11:21 AM
interesting take sal. but they did go all out and get a superbowl. i'm willing to live with mediocrity if we get a superbowl sprinkled in there. give me a superbowl next year, i'll be more than happy to take another 10 years of crap football in return.

I could be wrong, but wasn't that with a team that Tony Dungy essentially built?

trapezeus
10-11-2009, 11:23 AM
yeah, but the team he built in oakland made it to the same superbowl....so he isn't totally a waste.

MassEffect218435
10-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Why would Gruden want to go to Buffalo when there are going to be four or five high profile teams looking for an HC? Ralph will probably just promote April or AVP for the next few years, either way, people are still going to sell out the stadium.

DraftBoy
10-11-2009, 11:41 AM
Pass on Allen, he's as bad a drafter as we are now.

SABURZFAN
10-11-2009, 11:46 AM
Pass on Allen, he's as bad a drafter as we are now.

no doubt. we could draft better than that guy.

Coach Sal
10-11-2009, 11:50 AM

Even if it meant just getting to the playoffs, I'd take the risk, too.

The big picture is they are not good for an organization's long-term future.

But the Bills have to think short-term now. We have to make the playoffs soon. Period. So, I essentially agree with you.

Coach Sal
10-11-2009, 11:53 AM
I could be wrong, but wasn't that with a team that Tony Dungy essentially built?

Actually, Rich McKay was probably most responsible for building the Bucs Super Bowl team and playoff years.

He did a GREAT job there, then they canned him because Gruden wanted to work with someone who'd let him have more say. I.e., Bruce Allen.

I believe McKay is still the President of the Falcons, after they relieved him of GM duties. But if he wanted to build a team again as the GM, I'd take him in a heartbeat!

Ingtar33
10-11-2009, 12:25 PM
McKay build the bucs superbowl team.. Allen destroyed it.

I pray we're not seriously looking at allen

Mudflap1
10-11-2009, 12:26 PM
Rich McKay would be good. Thanks for the Tampa perspective of Allen. If he was able to attract a good coach such as Gruden, I'd still think the Bills should strongly consider it. It's still an upgrade, and they did go to the playoffs, and the Raiders and Bucs both went to the Super Bowl.

YardRat
10-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Pass...