PDA

View Full Version : The situation that confused me the most

Mitchell55
10-11-2009, 06:01 PM
1:56 left in the game, Cleveland at the 5. We have no timeouts left. Why not let them score and have 1:50 to score a TD. Instead we tried to stop them and had 30 seconds to get a field goal going against the wind. Dumb dumb.

historypete
10-11-2009, 06:11 PM
That's because our coach wanted to keep the game close!

Good point though. The real reason it didn't happen is because our brilliant coach probably didn't even think of it.

yordad
10-11-2009, 06:13 PM
You can't tell your D to do that, they will revolt.

historypete
10-11-2009, 06:15 PM

Why not? That is what a smart coach will do. You tell the D they need to do that in order to have a chance to win or else Cleveland will more or less run the clock out. This is why we need a ballsy coach who can actually think on the fly.

Dr. Pepper
10-11-2009, 06:16 PM
i was thinking the same thing

Mitchell55
10-11-2009, 06:21 PM

Its like telling your RB to fall at the goaline instead of scoring a TD, you think the RB will revolt?

historypete
10-11-2009, 06:25 PM
Its like telling your RB to fall at the goaline instead of scoring a TD, you think the RB will revolt?

Brian Westbrook didn't revolt and they won the game exactly because of that a couple of years ago.

Mitchell55
10-11-2009, 06:27 PM
Brian Westbrook didn't revolt and they won the game exactly because of that a couple of years ago.

Thats what I was alluding to.

LtFinFan66
10-11-2009, 06:27 PM
Guess he didn't have faith that the O could score a TD....and why should he?

Mitchell55
10-11-2009, 06:29 PM

Why should he have faith that we can get into field goal range in 30 seconds while depending on a kicker who missed a game winning kick vs Cleveland last year against the wind.

BADTHINGSMAN
10-11-2009, 06:32 PM

Exactly! If Buffalo has that hard of a time scoring against the Browns, then how can anyone have faith that they will to win the game.

LtFinFan66
10-11-2009, 06:33 PM
because you guys can get field goals

yordad
10-11-2009, 06:37 PM
A TD would have put it out of reach. :(

But, I once played in a game where that happened and some player let them score and some tried to stop it. After the play the players who stopped to let the other team score told the coach to never ask them to do it again.

For whatever its worth. Just seems like a call like that could get Jauron thrown under the bus by his own players.

Defenses take pride in things like that sometimes.

Mitchell55
10-11-2009, 06:45 PM

But, I once played in a game where that happened and some player let them score and some tried to stop it. After the play the players who stopped to let the other team score told the coach to never ask them to do it again.

For whatever its worth. Just seems like a call like that could get Jauron thrown under the bus by his own players.

Defenses pride wouldve came if they stopped them on the 3rd and 6th, after that they shouldve sat back. Who cares about pride, its about winning. Do you think the defense is happy at all that they didnt let in a TD, or are they mad that they didnt win. If they let them score and we tide the game up, the D would have no hard feelings. Its whats best for the team, thats all that matters.

historypete
10-11-2009, 07:39 PM

A FG put the game out of reach. The idea though is it is still a one score game either way. At least give yourself as much time as possible to tie the game. Better odds to let them score, in my opinion, and then have 1:40 or so to attempt to score.

Now, do I think they would have. Absolutely not. So in the end we lose either way.

unpaid_bills
10-11-2009, 09:30 PM
1:56 left in the game, Cleveland at the 5. We have no timeouts left. Why not let them score and have 1:50 to score a TD. Instead we tried to stop them and had 30 seconds to get a field goal going against the wind. Dumb dumb.

What makes you think we would have drove 80+ yards (into the wind) Offense wasnt doing much all day, the Defense maybe will get a turnover, or Browns miss the kick. They also burned all their timeouts early that actually hurt too - honestly dont think it matters mcuh the way the game was going pretty unlikely they would have driven the length of the field for a TD

PS Did you see Manjini yell at his kicker and give him an evil eye when he nailed a kickoff out of bounds giving the bills the ball at the 40? What did Jauron do when Roscoe screwed up that punt. Just saying ...

Joe Fo Sho
10-11-2009, 09:37 PM
Green Bay did it in the Superbowl against Denver, although no one on that team will admit it.

It's generally known to be one of the worst decisions as a coach, even though it might help you win. You should ALWAYS try to stop the opposition from scoring points whenever you can.

Novacane
10-11-2009, 09:38 PM
Loser was asked about this in his post game presser and he said they actually talked about it but decided thier best option was to force them to kick the FG Translation: We knew our pathetic offense would not score a TD so we were just praying for a miracle at that point.

zoneras
10-11-2009, 09:45 PM
I would not have just let them score a TD after Roscoe's turnover but after the got the first down I would have because that would have given the best chance to win... this assumes that they could drive down and score and sicne there has been no evidence of that since week 2 we would have lost anyway but gone down swinging with a chance rather than having 30 sec with no Time Outs.

In the end it did not matter. This team was unprepared to play for the second week in a row. 9 false starts at home and three wasted time outs? You dont need to look at the film to know you sucked. and if i hear we had a good week of practice one more time.... obviously you didnt if you cant score a touchdown at home against the Browns.

Trent sounds like I guy hired to do a job and while football is a Business and being a player is a job can't we take pride in that? When he says he is a player and not a fan he may have just been trying not to say he would boo this team and mis spoke but it seems like he is not taking pride in playing for the Bills. I would like to see emotion and leadership and for this team to come together as a team and play for each other and for us. Hell I just want to see them play period something i have not seen for 3 weeks now

Syderick
10-11-2009, 10:07 PM
Thats a dumb idea. Why give them 7 points to make it 10-3? Then have a low chance that the inept offense will go about 80 yards down the field to tie it in under 1:50? Finally, try in OT to win the game? You'd be complaining that they gave up touchdown in a close game.

yordad
10-12-2009, 09:47 AM
I am telling you right now, that would have been a very unpopular decision.

Jan Reimers
10-12-2009, 09:51 AM
That's a good strategy for most teams, but not for one that has scored one offensive touchdown in 3 games.

HHURRICANE
10-12-2009, 09:55 AM

I agree with you but it's kind of an unwritten rule that you don't let a team score to get the ball back.