X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Syderick
    • Apr 2006

Case for Bobby April

I say they should give Bobby April a chance at the HC spot and see how he does. April's been interested in the HC spot for awhile, like when he interviewed here after Mularky. April is passionate, aggressive, creative and intense coach, the opposite of Jauron. He's had a top 5 special teams all the years he's been here. This year he's having an average year, especially with the penalities (still top 10 in the return yardage...etc). Those fumbles are on Parrish and Mckelvin who choose to play costly. Plus each year there's been new rules on the ST unit (wedges, overloads with onside kicks). Here's April's resume:

April was a four-year letterman as a linebacker at Nicholls State in Thibodaux, Louisiana from 1972-75

1978 Southern Miss
    Graduate Assistant

1979 Tulane
    Tight Ends Coach

1980-1986 Arizona Wildcats
    Defensive Line/Secondary Coach

1987-1990 USC Trojans
    Secondary/Kicking Coach

1990 Ohio State Buckeyes
    Secondary Coach

1991-1993 Atlanta Falcons
    Tight Ends/Special Teams Coach

1994-1995 Pittsburgh Steelers
    Special Teams Coordinator

1996-1999 New Orleans Saints

2001-2003 St. Louis Rams

2004-present Buffalo Bills
    Assistant Head Coach and Special Teams Coordinator

April has done other coaching positions besides Special Teams. With John Harbaugh having some success after being a Special Teams coach. I'm just saying give him a shot see if he's anything. If he's lucky he could be like Michael Singletary, if not bring in HC this offseason. It's better then what we got right now.
    Last edited by Syderick; 10-11-2009, 09:36 PM.
    3,000,000th post on BZ!

• ChristopherWalken
    • Dec 2002

Re: Case for Bobby April

As Interm...nothing more

Comment

• BoyILuvLoznStupidly
      • Sep 2009

I agree anything is better that what we have now.

Comment

• BillsWin
        man amongst boys
        • Oct 2008

unless he coaches us to a 12-4 season, Id rather go for a proven guy with a ring.
        I am The Batman.

Comment

• THRILLHO
          This is great, and all I've done is enter my name!
          • Feb 2009

No thanks. While he normally runs a good crew, we have had way too many special teams penalties. It seems just about every game we have an "illegal block in the back" call on S.T. Then again, a dog could run this team right now, so who cares? Bring on April!
          True fans want wins, not draft picks.

Comment

• Devin
            The Octagon
            • Apr 2003

Nope. He can't get our ST running right now much less the whole team. I fully expect Ralph to go cheap again.
            http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• Philagape
              WIN NOW
              • Jul 2002

He's better than any available alternative right now. Nothing to lose, so give him the rest of the year.
              Maybe they should have open tryouts; the winner of that would better than Dick.
              "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
              2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Mitchell55
                only another 1000 mocks due by tomorrow!
                • Feb 2008

Id rather Fewell. He makes are CBs stay 10 yds deep, can you imagine what he can do with our WRs who are supposed to go that far?????????

Comment

• Syderick
                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Mitchell55
                  Id rather Fewell. He makes are CBs stay 10 yds deep, can you imagine what he can do with our WRs who are supposed to go that far?????????
                  Nothing?
                  Last edited by Syderick; 10-12-2009, 12:04 AM.
                  3,000,000th post on BZ!

Comment

• Mitchell55
                    • Feb 2008

Id rather Fewell. 1st hes more of a major coordinator than April. 2, he is a prodigi of Lovie Smith, 3, hes not afraid to make changes, and 4, hes coached offense and defense.

Comment

• Syderick
                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Mitchell55
                      Id rather Fewell. 1st hes more of a major coordinator than April. 2, he is a prodigi of Lovie Smith, 3, hes not afraid to make changes, and 4, hes coached offense and defense.
                      April has 30 years experience as a coach. John Harbaugh was ST coach. April is also the Asst. HC at the time being. Fewell is ok, but April would be the better option. Might aswell see what April brings to the table. Unless they talk to someone outside of the team, then it's a whole new story.
                      3,000,000th post on BZ!

Comment

• Mitchell55
                        • Feb 2008

Originally posted by syd1364
                        April has 30 years experience as a coach. John Harbaugh was ST coach. April is also the Asst. HC at the time being. Fewell is ok, but April would be the better option. Might aswell see what April brings to the table. Unless they talk to someone outside of the team, then it's a whole new story.

Fewell has 24 years of coaching and when Harbaugh was hired he was a DB coach.

Comment

• Syderick
                          • Apr 2006

April's got experience coaching in other positions. Also 30 years is more then 24.
                          3,000,000th post on BZ!

Comment

• Beastie Bills
                            Senior Zoner
                            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by syd1364
                            This year he's having an average year, especially with the penalities (still top 10 in the return yardage...etc). Those fumbles are on Parrish and Mckelvin who choose to play costly.
                            Really? I'd like to know where you got your stats (actually, I'm assuming that you're just guessing). Because we are not in the top 10 in any special teams category. We are 19th in Kick Returns, 15th in Punt Returns, 20th in Kick Coverage & 12th in Punt Coverage.

Bobby April sucks. Our Special Teams has no discipline (most penalized in the league), and no brains. Did you see Bobby "rallying the troops" yesterday, while Cleveland was about to punt the ball?

I hope that we clean house in the offseason, and I want April gone along with the rest of these bums.

The only reason anybody thinks April is any good, is because he has one of the best punters of all time, and he's had some very talented Return Men.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                              • May 2003

I don't want anyone from this putrid staff anywhere near our head coaching position.
                              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

Working...
                              X