PDA

View Full Version : Hakim returns from hip injury

Gunzlingr
05-28-2003, 08:00 AM
ALLEN PARK -- For one of the few times in his football career, wide receiver Az-Zahir Hakim is looking forward to the start of training camp.

Hakim's recovery from a dislocated left hip is progressing successfully in stages. Being ready to practice at full speed when the Lions open camp in two months is a realistic goal for Hakim as he takes longer and faster strides toward a return.

Hakim's workload will increase gradually in the three-week mini-camp that began Tuesday. Unlike the previous two camps -- in late March and early May -- Hakim has begun running pass patterns and doing individual drills with the other receivers.

"I feel very comfortable where I'm at," Hakim said after Tuesday's workout. "I haven't set myself back. Not once. I'm just feeling good to be back out here on a beautiful day with my teammates.

"I'm getting a feel for the game. I just wanted to walk again. Here I am, back out there on the grass. It feels real good.

"It's a process. I'm not going to judge as far as how I'm feeling. Every day, I'm getting better. I've made long strides from the injury. I'm excited about this upcoming season."

Hakim was the Lions' top free-agent signing last year, and he was just beginning to produce at the level the Lions expected when he suffered a dislocated left hip in the 10th game.

On the play that ended his season, Hakim gained 14 yards on a shovel pass. When he was tackled, he went down in a manner that drove his hip out of the socket. It was a painful end to a season in which Hakim caught 37 passes for 541 yards and three touchdowns. He scored one other touchdown on a punt return.

Hakim's recovery has been necessarily slow but steady. He took some motivation from occasional speculation that the injury could be career-ending.

"That just drove me," Hakim said. "I'm a determined person."

The last thing the Lions want is for Hakim to try to do too much too soon and encounter a setback.

"We'll probably increase his workload each week," Coach Steve Mariucci said.

There hasn't been any pressure on Hakim to push himself.

more (http://www.detnews.com/2003/lions/0305/28/e01-177151.htm)