PDA

View Full Version : Can someone tell me why we cant sign a ring wearing HC mid-season?

X-Era
10-12-2009, 06:26 PM
I know, I know, we wont do it.

But didn't we do just that with Marv?

Why not? Details.

Gruden couldn't come in the day after the last game before the bye and get a new D coord and O coord? Do we really HAVE to have all the other guys right away? Couldn't he convince April to stay? Studesville? Cavalos?

Hell didn't Belichump coach as the HC, OC and DC all at the same time before?

Gruden couldn't come in with one guy as his DC and cover the OC job?

Fire Jauron a few weeks before the Bye. Immediately contact Gruden and hire him. Promote Fewel interim for say two weeks while Gruden assembles a skeleton staff.

a simple Fewel interview = Rooney rule.

Is it simply impossible to have happen?

Ebenezer
10-12-2009, 06:30 PM
I agree that they won't do it...but there is one big reason why in my mind...

If you bring in a Shanahan or a Gruden they are going to want absolute control (which I am fine with). How do they get control and still run the football end? Would not the on-field product just be on auto pilot anyway? Would Modrak and Guy and all the coaches continue working knowing their days were numbered?

Levy was Polian's guy and the two were about to work hand in glove. This monster has to be blown up. As much as I agree that DJ needs to go and go now what's the point?? A couple of wins? Tank it - something an interim coach won't do and pick as high as possible.

X-Era
10-12-2009, 06:33 PM
I agree that they won't do it...but there is one big reason why in my mind...

If you bring in a Shanahan or a Gruden they are going to want absolute control (which I am fine with). How do they get control and still run the football end? Would not the on-field product just be on auto pilot anyway? Would Modrak and Guy and all the coaches continue working knowing their days were numbered?

Levy was Polian's guy and the two were about to work hand in glove. This monster has to be blown up. As much as I agree that DJ needs to go and go now what's the point?? A couple of wins? Tank it - something an interim coach won't do and pick as high as possible.

Why not make the Gruden move and then continue during the season to blow it up. Gruden and Co can continue to eval the guys left (if anyone). Like I said, its fairly common that a few lower level guys stay on. April did as I remember.

I don't see Russ going. I really don't. Ralph is listening to his same old people. They wont throw Russ under the bus.

Dr. Lecter
10-12-2009, 06:34 PM
The problem is that the high profile coaches will wait until after the season so they can be pickier and choose the team they want to go to.

If you were one of those guys, would you come to Buffalo when Dallas, Washington and Carolina are likely to be available?

SABURZFAN
10-12-2009, 06:35 PM
the answer is easy. he won't hire a coach who has the qualifications to take control of the team and build a winner. that would be taking money out of The Old Fart's pocket. he's looking for a low paying "Yes" men.

X-Era
10-12-2009, 06:35 PM
The problem is that the high profile coaches will wait until after the season so they can be pickier and choose the team they want to go to.

If you were one of those guys, would you come to Buffalo when Dallas, Washington and Carolina are likely to be available?

I can see that as well.

But, if for some reason a guy was willing to, why not?

X-Era
10-12-2009, 06:36 PM
the answer is easy. he won't hire a coach who has the qualifications to take control of the team and build a winner. that would be taking money out of The Old Fart's pocket. he's looking for a low paying "Yes" men.

I agree that thats the case.

My question was more from a logistics standpoint. Why cant it be done?

Raptor
10-12-2009, 06:38 PM
First off Levy wasnt a ring wearer

Second, Levy was considered an avg coach at best when that happened. He was in no way considered in the same league as a Cower or any other high profile coaches

Last and not least, these guys are going to want there own coaching staffs and will not want to inherit this loser staff and have to work w/ them for these rest of the season. Its impossible to assemble a staff mid season

Ebenezer
10-12-2009, 06:41 PM

I said this several weeks ago.

SABURZFAN
10-12-2009, 06:54 PM
I agree that thats the case.

My question was more from a logistics standpoint. Why cant it be done?

The Old Fart's ego is in the way.

X-Era
10-12-2009, 06:54 PM
I said this several weeks ago.

No.

Its only important when the Dr. says it.

:up:

X-Era
10-12-2009, 06:55 PM
Agreed.

Ebenezer
10-12-2009, 06:55 PM
it's not ego...it's greed.

X-Era
10-12-2009, 06:56 PM
First off Levy wasnt a ring wearer

Second, Levy was considered an avg coach at best when that happened. He was in no way considered in the same league as a Cower or any other high profile coaches

Last and not least, these guys are going to want there own coaching staffs and will not want to inherit this loser staff and have to work w/ them for these rest of the season. Its impossible to assemble a staff mid season

1) OK
2) OK
3) May be true and didn't they make a rule that you cant sign a guy who's in the playoffs?

SABURZFAN
10-12-2009, 06:56 PM
it's not ego...it's greed.

it's both.

DMBcrew36
10-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Ralph isn't going to forfeit $8 million, especially if he thinks we'll still be terrible, since he views the offensive line as the single, largest issue. That issue will remain, regardless of who the coach is. Frankly, in his position, I probably wouldn't forfeit $8 million, either. But ofcourse, I'm twenty-three. He's in his 90's. I would probably do it at his age, because delaying the inevitable would just mean more time lost towards the goal of making it to the Super Bowl before dying - and we all know he doesn't have much time left. If he really wanted to win before he died, he'd start doing whatever he could knowing his time is low.

Ebenezer
10-12-2009, 07:48 PM
Ralph isn't going to forfeit $8 million, especially if he thinks we'll still be terrible, since he views the offensive line as the single, largest issue. That issue will remain, regardless of who the coach is. Frankly, in his position, I probably wouldn't forfeit $8 million, either. But ofcourse, I'm twenty-three. He's in his 90's. I would probably do it at his age, because delaying the inevitable would just mean more time lost towards the goal of making it to the Super Bowl before dying - and we all know he doesn't have much time left. If he really wanted to win before he died, he'd start doing whatever he could knowing his time is low.
23? You've never lived through bad Bills football years. RW had his chance. It died with four straight losses.

DMBcrew36
10-12-2009, 07:57 PM
23? You've never lived through bad Bills football years. RW had his chance. It died with four straight losses.

The team is first and foremost a business, and I just wouldn't be surprised whatsoever if Ralph doesn't want to hand away $8 million to Jauron, just to have to pay another coach concurrently. Essentially, why would he want to pay two coaches at once?

And regardless of if I haven't lived through the Bills prior to the early 90's, I understand that the Bills are a business and it's about the bottom line. It's sad, but true.

Ebenezer
10-12-2009, 08:07 PM
The team is first and foremost a business, and I just wouldn't be surprised whatsoever if Ralph doesn't want to hand away $8 million to Jauron, just to have to pay another coach concurrently. Essentially, why would he want to pay two coaches at once?

And regardless of if I haven't lived through the Bills prior to the early 90's, I understand that the Bills are a business and it's about the bottom line. It's sad, but true.
I mean no offense...you are correct - it is a business. But RW has treated this city and this team like crap. First time I saw Major League the first thing I thought of was RW.

DMBcrew36
10-12-2009, 08:11 PM
I mean no offense...you are correct - it is a business. But RW has treated this city and this team like crap. First time I saw Major League the first thing I thought of was RW.

I just don't think he cares about winning as much as Bills fans, unless it translates to money. Whatever his strategy is (which isn't translating to winning), it must give him some cost-benefit ratio that he feels good about.

Michael82
10-13-2009, 12:25 AM
I'm going to add another reason....the Rooney rule. Firing Jauron midseason and hiring a guy like Gruden without really giving a legitimate chance to a black coach would piss a lot of people off in the NFL, because of that Rooney rule.

Ingtar33
10-13-2009, 02:25 AM
I know, I know, we wont do it.

But didn't we do just that with Marv?

Why not? Details.

Gruden couldn't come in the day after the last game before the bye and get a new D coord and O coord? Do we really HAVE to have all the other guys right away? Couldn't he convince April to stay? Studesville? Cavalos?

Hell didn't Belichump coach as the HC, OC and DC all at the same time before?

Gruden couldn't come in with one guy as his DC and cover the OC job?

Fire Jauron a few weeks before the Bye. Immediately contact Gruden and hire him. Promote Fewel interim for say two weeks while Gruden assembles a skeleton staff.

a simple Fewel interview = Rooney rule.

Is it simply impossible to have happen?

I explained why in another post.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=180666

If Jauron was fired tomorrow, would you take the job? :bow:

depends.

I'm sure the pay would be better then what im making now. But i'd like to see a stronger commitment in the Bills front office to it's scouting department before i seriously consider it.

You have to understand the situation -

I'd be leaving a pretty stable job, for a team someone else built, and coached... worse i'd be stuck with coordinators who i don't know, as doing a FULL staff replacement mid season might be too much.

Finally, pro jobs are fleeting, i'd have probably the rest of this season, and all of next to turn it around, and i'd need some cooperation from the Front office, and a bit of luck.

-could i turn around this team? I don't know. Personally, it would be a "dream" job to coach in the NFL for my favorite team growing up.

remember.. I'm just a college coach, and this would be a dream job for me... yet even i would be hesitant to take it mid season.

I don't have superbowl rings, or championships... i don't have a legacy of success to protect. A superbowl coach "with rings" has all of those.

Taking over a team mid season would be very unappealing. I don't care which team comes calling.. worse.. the Bills are so badly mismanaged, i don't think I'd take it if i was in the position of Bill Cowher, Mike Shanahan or John Gruden, i don't care how much money or control was offered.

With a full off season and draft? Sure, i think Cowher or Shanahan or Gruden might seriously consider an offer... but midseason? Never in a million years.

SABURZFAN
10-13-2009, 09:31 AM

yes, he has treated the city like crap. he used the team as a writeoff until the NFL became a cash cow.

yordad
10-13-2009, 09:44 AM
Can someone tell me why we cant sign a ring wearing HC mid-season?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

X-Era
10-14-2009, 05:51 AM
How about signing someone but not have him start until the end of the season.

That way our new HC can take the next few months to evaluate personnel, assistants, etc...

Michael82
10-14-2009, 08:41 AM
How about signing someone but not have him start until the end of the season.

That way our new HC can take the next few months to evaluate personnel, assistants, etc...

Again....the Rooney rule will make this difficult!

Ebenezer
10-14-2009, 10:31 AM
Again....the Rooney rule will make this difficult!
not true...not that you would hire somebody to gut the football dept as the football dept was actually active but if you were to hire somebody to gut the football dept you could just interview how ever many candidates were necessary to fulfill the rule.