Can someone tell me why we cant sign a ring wearing HC mid-season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Can someone tell me why we cant sign a ring wearing HC mid-season?

I know, I know, we wont do it.

But didn't we do just that with Marv?

Why not? Details.

Gruden couldn't come in the day after the last game before the bye and get a new D coord and O coord? Do we really HAVE to have all the other guys right away? Couldn't he convince April to stay? Studesville? Cavalos?

Hell didn't Belichump coach as the HC, OC and DC all at the same time before?

Gruden couldn't come in with one guy as his DC and cover the OC job?

Fire Jauron a few weeks before the Bye. Immediately contact Gruden and hire him. Promote Fewel interim for say two weeks while Gruden assembles a skeleton staff.

a simple Fewel interview = Rooney rule.

Is it simply impossible to have happen?
    Last edited by X-Era; 10-12-2009, 06:29 PM.

• Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

Re: Can someone tell me why we cant sign a ring wearing HC mid-season?

I agree that they won't do it...but there is one big reason why in my mind...

If you bring in a Shanahan or a Gruden they are going to want absolute control (which I am fine with). How do they get control and still run the football end? Would not the on-field product just be on auto pilot anyway? Would Modrak and Guy and all the coaches continue working knowing their days were numbered?

Levy was Polian's guy and the two were about to work hand in glove. This monster has to be blown up. As much as I agree that DJ needs to go and go now what's the point?? A couple of wins? Tank it - something an interim coach won't do and pick as high as possible.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• X-Era
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Ebenezer
      I agree that they won't do it...but there is one big reason why in my mind...

If you bring in a Shanahan or a Gruden they are going to want absolute control (which I am fine with). How do they get control and still run the football end? Would not the on-field product just be on auto pilot anyway? Would Modrak and Guy and all the coaches continue working knowing their days were numbered?

Levy was Polian's guy and the two were about to work hand in glove. This monster has to be blown up. As much as I agree that DJ needs to go and go now what's the point?? A couple of wins? Tank it - something an interim coach won't do and pick as high as possible.
      Why not make the Gruden move and then continue during the season to blow it up. Gruden and Co can continue to eval the guys left (if anyone). Like I said, its fairly common that a few lower level guys stay on. April did as I remember.

I don't see Russ going. I really don't. Ralph is listening to his same old people. They wont throw Russ under the bus.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
        Zero for Zero!
        • Mar 2003

The problem is that the high profile coaches will wait until after the season so they can be pickier and choose the team they want to go to.

If you were one of those guys, would you come to Buffalo when Dallas, Washington and Carolina are likely to be available?
        Originally posted by mysticsoto
        Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
          short bus extraordinaire
          • Jul 2002

the answer is easy. he won't hire a coach who has the qualifications to take control of the team and build a winner. that would be taking money out of The Old Fart's pocket. he's looking for a low paying "Yes" men.
          Originally posted by yordad
          Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• X-Era
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
            The problem is that the high profile coaches will wait until after the season so they can be pickier and choose the team they want to go to.

If you were one of those guys, would you come to Buffalo when Dallas, Washington and Carolina are likely to be available?
            I can see that as well.

But, if for some reason a guy was willing to, why not?

Comment

• X-Era
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by SABURZFAN
              the answer is easy. he won't hire a coach who has the qualifications to take control of the team and build a winner. that would be taking money out of The Old Fart's pocket. he's looking for a low paying "Yes" men.
              I agree that thats the case.

My question was more from a logistics standpoint. Why cant it be done?

Comment

• Raptor
                • Jan 2009

First off Levy wasnt a ring wearer

Second, Levy was considered an avg coach at best when that happened. He was in no way considered in the same league as a Cower or any other high profile coaches

Last and not least, these guys are going to want there own coaching staffs and will not want to inherit this loser staff and have to work w/ them for these rest of the season. Its impossible to assemble a staff mid season

Comment

• Ebenezer
                  Give me a minute...
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter

I said this several weeks ago.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                    short bus extraordinaire
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by X-Era
                    I agree that thats the case.

My question was more from a logistics standpoint. Why cant it be done?

The Old Fart's ego is in the way.
                    Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• X-Era
                      • Feb 2005

I said this several weeks ago.
                      No.

Its only important when the Dr. says it.

Comment

• X-Era
                        • Feb 2005

Agreed.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                          Give me a minute...
                          • Jul 2002

it's not ego...it's greed.

Comment

• X-Era
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Raptor
                            First off Levy wasnt a ring wearer

Second, Levy was considered an avg coach at best when that happened. He was in no way considered in the same league as a Cower or any other high profile coaches

Last and not least, these guys are going to want there own coaching staffs and will not want to inherit this loser staff and have to work w/ them for these rest of the season. Its impossible to assemble a staff mid season
                            1) OK
                            2) OK
                            3) May be true and didn't they make a rule that you cant sign a guy who's in the playoffs?

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                              short bus extraordinaire
                              • Jul 2002

it's not ego...it's greed.

it's both.

Comment

Working...
                              X