PDA

View Full Version : Jaguars have a quarterback for every occasion

Gunzlingr
05-28-2003, 09:47 AM
One month and several lifetimes ago, the Jaguars appeared set at quarterback with the capable veteran Mark Brunell and David Garrard, a quarterback of the future if ever there was one.

Then along came Byron Leftwich.

Now the Jaguars have an awkward overload at the position, while glaring needs have not been addressed as well as they could have. Some people around the league can't understand why the Jaguars selected Leftwich with the seventh overall pick instead of trading down with an eye on receivers, running backs, linebackers or cornerbacks. It seemed as if the Jaguars were contributing to the retirement fund while foregoing the monthly mortgage payment.

It was not a popular move in Jacksonville's locker room. Jimmy Smith, the Jaguars' standout receiver, says this about Leftwich after practicing with him: "He's excellent. The receiver doesn't have to worry about bending over too low or reaching up too high for his passes. The ball is right on the numbers all the time, so it makes it easier on the receiver." But Smith also says this: "I wouldn't have drafted a quarterback No. 1. There are other needs. You could have traded down and picked up a couple of players. But that's me talking. I don't call the shots."

more (http://www.sportingnews.com/voices/dan_pompei/20030527.html)