PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Football Draft Preview- QBs

LouGrant
09-02-2002, 01:10 PM
All good owners know you need a stacked backfield in order to win championships. Fantasy championships included.

And those horses that you can ride week in and week out, all the way thru the postseason, are on the endangered species list.

So forget about the temptation of a Randy Moss until you can sleep easy about one of your starting backfield: grab yourself a reliable QB and RB early, then do your homework on the WR position.

Listen up now.

This kid practices what he preaches. I can say, with total honestly, I have never yet lost a Fantasy League championship, and I'm there every year. Many call me Galactus because I am the devourer of entire FF galaxies, where my hopeless opposition has pleaded for mercy and their entry fees back by the season's midway point.

Yes, things change quickly in the exhilarating realm of Fantasy football.

The difference between being able to constantly talk smack, or being the brunt of all those e-mail jokes, is the ability to scour the free agent pool and adjust your roster once the season starts to unfold.

But in fantasy, just like on the gridiron, the draft is where championship teams are built, and all of us armchair QB's need to do our homework in order to make the right decisions.

These draft boards are definitely the right place to start.

So now you can rest easy and not sweat it when you're picking next and you have to go take a leak. Eric's got you covered.

Legend
u- Player has upside
uu- Player has major upside
d- Player could start to decline
c- Player is at a crossroads
b- Projected backup or player who will share significant snaps
x- slight injury concern
xx- moderate to heavy injury concern
OL- Offensive line concern

Quarterbacks
Where else to start these mock draft boards, but at quarterback. Today's players might be bigger and faster, but collectively this current group of NFL signal callers does not possess the skills of those who played twenty years earlier. There is a definite lack of quality signal callers who can make plays and win games today, so grab yourself a good QB early.

Player Team Bye Week Comments
1. Peyton Manning Colts Week 4 u

Chose Manning and you know this guy will be there week in and week out. And he's throwing to arguably his most talented and deep WR core yet, with the addition of another Syracuse alumni, veteran Qadry Ismail to team with consistently excellent Marvin Harrison; as well as dangerous Marcus Pollard at TE. Forget about last year's turnovers, Peyton won't be forced to shoulder the load as much with a mildly improved defense. Change of scenery to AFC South's suspect defenses will help as well for the ringleader of the AFC's most prolific offense.

2. Kurt Warner Rams Week 6 x

Warner takes a lot of hits and punishment as Mike Martz' trigger-man, but there's few other reasons not to make him the first QB drafted, with around 4,500 yards and 35 TD's to be expected.

3. Donovan McNabb Eagles Week 6 u

Donovan could be ready to have a monster season if his young WR's are ready to step it up and play more consistently, and improve upon last year's 3,233 passing yards, 25 TD's and 12 INT's. Running ability (482 yards, 2TDs in 01') helps to win those squeakers.

...MORE... (http://www.billszone.com/YourSite/global/templates/view.php?state=news&action=YourSite_content&month=9&nid=844)