PDA

View Full Version : Here it goes... My offseason overhaul. No craziness. Just reality.

BillsWin
10-13-2009, 03:41 PM
I could go through and suggest crazy player trades and pick swaps and whatever else some people put into their offseason threads. But, I am just going to go through and pick some players and mention some Free agents that I would chose going into next season. Oh, and of course I will pick a new coach.

If I was the GM, this is what I would do (On a completely basic level. There is so much more that should, and could be done.)

1. Complete staff overhaul. It starts by firing all the coaches except for Bobby April and Bob Sanders. Next, I hire my new coach. Of course there are some really big names out there. Two that come to mind, that may come to Buffalo for a price are Jon Gruden and Bill Billick. Both would be great, but knowing Buffalo and Ralph we probably won't get either one. So with my top two choices off the board I look at someone who would be a first time head coach, some one that would be relatively cheap to sign and someone with tremendous upside. I hire Brian Schottenheimer. I implore Brian to find a good, proven defensive mind to run the defense and switch to the 3-4 or improve on our 4-3 scheme. I tell him what I want on offense and see to it he finds a suitable OC and we move forward.

Brian Schottenheimer is the offensive coordinator of the New Jork Jets. He is the son of Marty Schottenheimer and nephew of Kurt Schottenheimer. He is a talented young man, and it is only a matter of time before he becomes a head coach. I think that this year is the year and as GM, I have gotten him. (If Gruden and Billick are not options.) The Dolphins wanted him to be their head coach, but Brian withdrew his name to stay with New York.

2. Free Agency.
There are some good defensive ends available and a few offensive line prospects. There are no wide receivers that I think are worth the free agent money they will ask for, and I am not ready to give up on last year's second round pick or Steve Johnson.

My free agency consists of grabbing a nice LB such as Kirk Morrison, and depth at several positions. Its hard to talk free agency this early because many of the top tier guys are going to be resigned.

3. Draft

1. With the fifth pick in the 2010 NFL draft, the Buffalo Bills select Sam Bradford, Quarterback, Oklahoma.
- The Bills need a franchise QB. Sure a franchise OT is the bigger need here, but who can pass up on Bradford at five? If they do it is to get Baluga from Iowa, or Okung from Oklahoma State and if they do, I will be extremely disappointed. You will have to see my second round pick to see why. Here is why I would choose Bradford.

Accurate. Intelligent. A winner. It wasn't his fault OU lost in the National Championship last season (playing against a top tier defense, under duress all game, he threw for over 60% of his pass 256 yards and two touchdowns.)

Weaknesses, little to no time under center and like Draft Boy loves to point out. Doesnt like to get hit. Sometimes his play can drop off when constantly hit to the ground. although I dont really think that is as big of a problem as he thinks it is, just due to the fact that even when his play drops off slightly he still performs. When he was getting hit non stop in last year's OU Texas game he still tossed for 5 touchdowns and over 380 yards and 71.8% competition. Impressive.

the Bills get "Their guy" and future with their first pick.

2. Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers.
Who says we can't get a talented, offensive tackle with our second pick?

3. Stevenson Sylvester, Rennie Curran, or Mark Herzlich.
A star OLB would be the way to go here IMO. Anyone of these guys is worth the pick.

4. Mike Williams, WR, Syracuse.
I have him dropping past where alot of people have him going. He is a playmaker. Worth a fourth rounder. If he is not available I would pick Blair White, WR, Mich. State or go defense and pick Ekom Udofia, NT, Stanford or another NT worth a fourth.

5. Ugo Chinasa, DE, Oklahoma State.
Good pass rusher. Needs to work on finishing the QB, but is a good value pick in the fifth.

6. Kyle Calloway, OT, Iowa
Value, could be a good backup

7. Kade Weston, DT, Georgia
Big guy. 6 foot 5, 315 pounds. Are we switching to 3-4? :idunno:

That is an extremely rough/ early draft. But I believe it makes the team better.

That puts this team in position to be maybe a draft away from being legitimate Super Bowl contenders, but puts us at 10-11 to maybe even 12 wins next year.

I am THAT confident. Just remember, we get alot of players back from injury next season, Maybin should be alot better, our interior offensive line is solid. We grab an OLB in the third to replace Ellison (but man, Ellison has been good this year...)

This way we get a Franchise LT and QB early, and then look to rebuild and reclaim our glory years.

BillsWin
10-13-2009, 03:51 PM
It all starts by firing Dick.

Mudflap1
10-13-2009, 04:03 PM
Your plan looks generally fine... except you forgot to mention cleaning house with the clown show we call a front office. Brandon needs to only stick to marketing/business and get his nose out of football, or he needs to go. Modrak, Guy, all those guys need to go. Bring in some up and coming guy from a good, solid personnel department (someone, maybe bigbub mentioned the guy from Baltimore as an example). Then you know you are getting guys who can evaluate free agents and draft consistently well. That is the first key to building a good football team, and is something this team hasn't had since John Butler, A.J. Smith, and Bill Polian.

Then the new GM goes out and gets the coach amongst the group you mentioned, and so on and so forth.

THATHURMANATOR
10-13-2009, 04:06 PM
My god Mock drafts already...... :doh:

BillsWin
10-13-2009, 04:06 PM
Your plan looks generally fine... except you forgot to mention cleaning house with the clown show we call a front office. Brandon needs to only stick to marketing/business and get his nose out of football, or he needs to go. Modrak, Guy, all those guys need to go. Bring in some up and coming guy from a good, solid personnel department (someone, maybe bigbub mentioned the guy from Baltimore as an example). Then you know you are getting guys who can evaluate free agents and draft consistently well. That is the first key to building a good football team, and is something this team hasn't had since John Butler, A.J. Smith, and Bill Polian.

Then the new GM goes out and gets the coach amongst the group you mentioned, and so on and so forth.

Brilliant. :cheers:

Griff
10-13-2009, 04:09 PM
the Bills should just run the Wildcat 100% of the time, that way there is no QB to run out of town.

BillsWin
10-13-2009, 04:10 PM
the Bills should just run the Wildcat 100% of the time, that way there is no QB to run out of town.

I see what you are saying. I agree. I dont want to bring in Bradford just to root for him like crazy, see one year with glimpses of hope and then have him fail.

But I think Brian Schottenhiemer is an offensive mind, a good coach and someone who could keep that from happening.

trapezeus
10-13-2009, 04:14 PM
i don't like the QB picks at the top...and i don't think our line is in a position to let a qb be successful. we need some serious line help on both sides of the ball. i'd trade all our future picks to just keep stacking talent on the lines and the LB core.

get a free agent QB or a draft the following year to lead us to the promised land.

PECKERWOOD
10-13-2009, 04:15 PM
You know what? I kinda like your Brian Schottenheimer idea, I think that would be a quality move as well. In a nutshell, here is what I'd like to see:

Bill Cowher takes over as GM.

Jason Garrett is hired as HC.

Jim Zorn becomes our OC. (he is going to be fired after this year)

Hire somebody to come in and run the 3-4 defense.

Trade: Lee Evans for a mid 1st round pick.

Draft:
1.) Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma St.
1.) Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma
2.) Tim Tebow, QB, Florida
3.) WR
4.) OT
5.) WR
6.) N/A
7.) N/A

Cut: Reed, Parrish, Jenkins.

Hardy and Johnson then move up on the depth chart, plus we'd have a 3rd round pick spent on a wide out. I'd also consider trading Trent Edwards for a WR as well. :up:

Demon
10-13-2009, 04:15 PM
I hope we don't go the unknown path again and stay away from guys like Brian Schottenheimer. We need to hit a home run. That's the only way things will change. Ralph has to give up full control and hire a guy who knows what he's doing and who can go out and hire some good assistant coaches to help him.

You're plan is much more likely but i just hope Jim Kelly or someone talks some sense into Wilson and gets a proven guy in here.

Mudflap1
10-13-2009, 04:17 PM
I like Bradford. I think he's going to be good.

You know, on MNF last night (not sure if it was on the radio when I was driving home, or on TV), it was mentioned that Bill Parcells has a criteria he looks for with drafting QB's.

1. They need to be a senior (wasn't clear as to whether a 4 year redshirt junior was deemed acceptable).
2. They need to have won 23 games in college.
3. They needed to be a 3 year starter.

It was in regards to Chad Henne, who fit those qualifications. Thought that was interesting.

BillsWin
10-13-2009, 04:19 PM
You know what? I kinda like your Brian Schottenheimer idea, I think that would be a quality move as well. In a nutshell, here is what I'd like to see:

Bill Cowher takes over as GM.

Jason Garrett is hired as HC.

Jim Zorn becomes our OC. (he is going to be fired after this year)

Hire somebody to come in and run the 3-4 defense.

Trade: Lee Evans for a mid 1st round pick.

Draft:
1.) Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma St.
1.) Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma
2.) Tim Tebow, QB, Florida
3.) WR
4.) OT
5.) WR
6.) N/A
7.) N/A

Cut: Reed, Parrish, Jenkins.

Hardy and Johnson then move up on the depth chart, plus we'd have a 3rd round pick spent on a wide out. I'd also consider trading Trent Edwards for a WR as well. :up:

You built me up just to let me down with Tebow... Everything else rocked.

Except for cutting the best possession receiver we have on the roster, and it is not Parrish.

BillsWin
10-13-2009, 04:20 PM
I hope we don't go the unknown path again and stay away from guys like Brian Schottenheimer. We need to hit a home run. That's the only way things will change. Ralph has to give up full control and hire a guy who knows what he's doing and who can go out and hire some good assistant coaches to help him.

You're plan is much more likely but i just hope Jim Kelly or someone talks some sense into Wilson and gets a proven guy in here.

Bringing Brian Schottenhiemer is much different from a Jauron move. Its like a harbaugh move and that seems to be working for him.

BillsWin
10-13-2009, 04:21 PM

You know, on MNF last night (not sure if it was on the radio when I was driving home, or on TV), it was mentioned that Bill Parcells has a criteria he looks for with drafting QB's.

1. They need to be a senior (wasn't clear as to whether a 4 year redshirt junior was deemed acceptable).

It was in regards to Chad Henne, who fit those qualifications. Thought that was interesting.

thanks for sharing. That is real interesting.

Demon
10-13-2009, 04:23 PM
Bringing Brian Schottenhiemer is much different from a Jauron move. Its like a harbaugh move and that seems to be working for him.

It's like getting a Mularkey, too.

It worked for Baltimore. Worked for Pittsburgh and Denver too.

St Louis (Spagnuolo).... Kansas City (Haley)...... Tampa Bay (Morris).... not so much.

BillsWin
10-13-2009, 04:25 PM
It's like getting a Mularkey, too.

It worked for Baltimore. Worked for Pittsburgh and Denver too.

St Louis (Spagnuolo).... Kansas City (Haley)...... Tampa Bay (Morris).... not so much.

Spagnuolo and Haley inherited awful, awful teams and Haley at least has gotten his bad team to compete somewhat. They almost beat Baltimore and Dallas.

Morris inherited a team that he saw as old and out dated. He proceeded to drop the dead weight (which was actually the only talent on the team.) and try to rebuild.

I say Schottenheimer is probably the best we will get. Its not the best option, as he is unproven, but he is as good as it gets for cheap ole Mr. Ralphie.

Demon
10-13-2009, 04:28 PM
Spagnuolo and Haley inherited awful, awful teams and Haley at least has gotten his bad team to compete somewhat. They almost beat Baltimore and Dallas.

Morris inherited a team that he saw as old and out dated. He proceeded to drop the dead weight (which was actually the only talent on the team.) and try to rebuild.

I say Schottenheimer is probably the best we will get. Its not the best option, as he is unproven, but he is as good as it gets for cheap ole Mr. Ralphie.

lol agreed. I wasn't arguing against your plan at all. And if we do go with the unproven way, Brian Schottenheimer would probably be the best choice we could get. I was just saying, i hope someone talks Ralph into spending $$$ on a coach.

BillsWin
10-13-2009, 04:53 PM
lol agreed. I wasn't arguing against your plan at all. And if we do go with the unproven way, Brian Schottenheimer would probably be the best choice we could get. I was just saying, i hope someone talks Ralph into spending $$$ on a coach.

I hope so too! To be honest I think we have a legitimate shot at landing Billick or Gruden. Cowher is a pipe dream.

jaycorp51
10-13-2009, 06:22 PM
The front office and coaching staff all have to go. If Russ wants to stay on to do his marketing thing, fine. Other than that, he needs to go.

Bring in someone like Eric DeCosta from Baltimore. The guy has learned from Ozzie Newsome who has consistently put together top notch teams and had great drafts. We need to have that here.

I am willing to bring in Brian Schottenheimer as well. He knows the division and will know how to matchup against their defenses. He may also be able to bring someone else over from NYJ who has learned the defensive schemes from Rex Ryan. I consider that a major plus. If he keeps Bobby April on board, then I think we could have a pretty good coaching staff.

HHURRICANE
10-13-2009, 06:23 PM
I stopped reading when I saw Bobby April still on the team. I don't want any losers left over.

jaycorp51
10-13-2009, 06:24 PM
I hope so too! To be honest I think we have a legitimate shot at landing Billick or Gruden. Cowher is a pipe dream.

Cowher will want at least $8 mil per season to coach and GM duties and Cowher will be going to Carolina.

Gruden or Billick are possibilities. I think Billick even more than Gruden

YoungEz
10-13-2009, 06:26 PM
And as GM you fail like the bills in the past, Bradford would be a terrible selection as you haven't done a single thing to the line which should be #1 priority.
I couldn't even fathom risking a top 5 pick on Bradford. Skip Bayliss OU homer even says Bradford may simply be a product of a system. Look up past OU QB's they all look good, even his fill in this year.

If Ryan Mallet comes out maybe otherwise it should be best O-Lineman available unless we address that in FA

BillsWin
10-13-2009, 06:51 PM
I stopped reading when I saw Bobby April still on the team. I don't want any losers left over.

Come on HH, keep reading. I want to hear your thoughts on the draft!

BillsWin
10-13-2009, 06:54 PM
And as GM you fail like the bills in the past, Bradford would be a terrible selection as you haven't done a single thing to the line which should be #1 priority.

So I totally skipped on the O-line? Anthony Davis isn't a good LT? The guy has been compared to Jason Smith and that is a player we could use.

Davis, Levitre, Hangnarter, Wood, Butler. Good o-line, especially with the experience our interior is gaining.

Bell as the swing tackle makes for good depth on the outside.

malo
10-13-2009, 07:04 PM
You can't keep any coaches. Let the new regime make all the staff decisions.

YoungEz
10-13-2009, 07:41 PM
So I totally skipped on the O-line? Anthony Davis isn't a good LT? The guy has been compared to Jason Smith and that is a player we could use.

Davis, Levitre, Hangnarter, Wood, Butler. Good o-line, especially with the experience our interior is gaining.

Bell as the swing tackle makes for good depth on the outside.

If Davis is that good how would we get him in the 2nd round? Just curious, I really don't know too much about him yet.

I like having bell and scott/chambers for depth, bell needs more coaching/time.

What about having wood/butler on inside and levitre/hang battle for last spot inside and loser is depth.
Basically the inside being Lev, Wood, Butler or Wood, Hang, Butler and figure out the tackles... Lev, Hang, Wood is disastrous now hopefully it improves, 2 are rookies

Bmax
10-13-2009, 08:51 PM

I saw that also .. You forgot that they have be a college graduate.

I know Tebow is a great student...

I think three guys that fit into this criteria are

1. Tim Tebow
2. Mccoy
3. Lefavour-Cent Mich-a mid rd guy...

Bmax

Akhippo
10-13-2009, 10:49 PM
I think you hire a good young GM and one of the proven vet coaches at the same time. Have them both hammer out a roster together. Somewhat like a Pioli/Belicheck model.

Draft a QB with either our first or second. Anybody but Tebow. Let him sit behind Trent and learn (Hopefully the new coach can light a fire and DEMAND Trent do some things)

Get a LT.

Get a player on defense that brings life, tenacity, and accountability. Preferably a LB.

Trade Lee. Sounds insane, but we are paying alot for a player that is invisible. I like Lee, but you never know he is there except for a long pass or his sideline comebacks. We could get something for him and lose his salary. Put up or shut up for Stevie and Hardy. Resign Reed. Trade/cut roscoe.

Torn on this one too. Trade Lynch. I love Lynch and am fine if he stays. But he is a notch below Marion Barber. He waste so much energy running side to side (running style) that he doesnt get going fast enough. We need a Mendenhall/Felix Jones type back to compliment F Jax's smooth running style.

Get something out of Maybin.

The biggest addition thoiugh will be coaching. Look at the Jets/Falcons/Miami/Denver while bad coaches in SD and Dalllas and Washington show how bad coaching waste good talent.

PECKERWOOD
10-14-2009, 12:31 AM
You built me up just to let me down with Tebow... Everything else rocked.

Except for cutting the best possession receiver we have on the roster, and it is not Parrish.

Reed? He is a slacker. What has he done with TO & Lee on either side? Nada.

Tebow reminds me of Mike Alstott but with a very capable arm. Definitely a bit of a project, but well worth it in the 2nd round if you ask me. You can't question his heart, leadership & desire to win, his mechanics are a different story.