PDA

View Full Version : Bradford vs McCoy

Mike
10-15-2009, 02:29 PM
So which of these top QB's is better?

What are their playing styles?

Who would you compare them too?

What makes them so good? Accuracy, intelligence, arm strength (eg: cutler), play making ability (eg: Flutie), etc...

and who would you rather draft?

X-Era
10-15-2009, 02:31 PM

What makes them so good? Accuracy, intelligence, arm strength (eg: cutler), play making ability (eg: Flutie), etc...

Heres some info:

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=174133

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=174135

Mudflap1
10-15-2009, 02:38 PM
Bradford = Vinny Testaverde circa 1986 (University of Miami) or maybe Philip Rivers

McCoy = Donovan McNabb (although not sure if McCoy's arm is as strong or not)

I like Bradford personally. Fourth year junior, lot of starting experience, no-huddle, pro-style spread hybrid offense. I think McCoy is a great athlete, but he is a little more of an improvisational quarterback in my opinion, and it's hard to say how that will translate to the NFL. Bradford is more a protype pocket passer.

BillsWin
10-15-2009, 02:48 PM

Bradford.

McCoy is more mobile then Bradford. Bradford is a drop back and fire down field kind of guy. Dominate when he is on his game. Someone said, and I don't have a link so don't ask, that he is the next Tom Brady if you give him some protection. McCoy is smaller than listed. He is listed as 6-2 or 6-3, but I have seen him in person and interviewed him up close and he doesn't have dominating size.

Bradford is 6-4 220 lbs. He is alittle bigger, but like I said, Colt is more mobile. Bradford CAN make plays with his legs, but it is intelligence and arm strength that make him a great QB.

Bradford has been compared to Tom Brady as I said above. I guess I like that comparison, he is a winner and hard to stop unless you hit him ALOT.

Someone said on these boards that McCoy is a Drew Brees type. I don't buy it. I see him as a white Michael Vick with better accuracy and just a little less mobile. He can make plays out of nothing. Maybe Tony Romo is a better comparison? Ask Draft Boy.

Bradford completes 67.9% of his passes, has 88 touchdowns to just 16 interceptions. He is a very intelligent kid. I enjoyed my time with the Big 12 when he was just getting started. His interviews were always educated and well-mannered. He has a pretty strong arm. He may not chuck the ball 80 yards like a Losman, but he is deadly accurate and will hit that receiver in stride deep down field.

McCoy can hit the deep ball as well, but I don't know how much of his accuracy may be attributed to his relationship with Shipley (a great receiver) The two are always on the same page.

McCoy can score. 95 touchdowns and 18 rushing touchdowns. 11,000 yards. 70% accurate. Not bad numbers, but he has been a four year starter.

Bradford all the way. Give him a good line and he will bring you the Lombardi.

But I would only draft a QB with a top pick if we grab a LT with our second pick. And I mean a good one like Anthony Davis from Rutgers.

I hope I was of some help. DB can give it to you straight. He isnt as big of a fan of those two guys as me though.

BillsWin
10-15-2009, 02:50 PM
Bradford = Vinny Testaverde circa 1986 (University of Miami) or maybe Philip Rivers

McCoy = Donovan McNabb (although not sure if McCoy's arm is as strong or not)

I like Bradford personally. Fourth year junior, lot of starting experience, no-huddle, pro-style spread hybrid offense. I think McCoy is a great athlete, but he is a little more of an improvisational quarterback in my opinion, and it's hard to say how that will translate to the NFL. Bradford is more a protype pocket passer.

good synopsis. Exactly what I was thinking.

Forward_Lateral
10-15-2009, 02:50 PM
Pike.

Mudflap1
10-15-2009, 02:53 PM
Pike.

Haven't seen enough of him. Is this his second year starting? Looking forward to the game tonight to see more.

Mudflap1
10-15-2009, 02:54 PM
good synopsis. Exactly what I was thinking.

Yeah, I mean, McCoy could turn out to be like Donovan, which would be great for somebody. He might also turn out to be more like J.P. Losman (although I think McCoy is better, he has a lot of experience playing against tougher competition).

I think Bradford is a safe bet to be a really, really good NFL quarterback. As long as he has the coaches and enough talent around him.

djjimkelly
10-15-2009, 02:59 PM
id gladly take either

Forward_Lateral
10-15-2009, 02:59 PM
Haven't seen enough of him. Is this his second year starting? Looking forward to the game tonight to see more.

I think he was hurt last year, but I'm not sure.

BillsWin
10-15-2009, 03:03 PM
I think he was hurt last year, but I'm not sure.
He got hurt during their game against Oklahoma. Broke an arm or leg. Can't remember.

BillsWin
10-15-2009, 03:04 PM
Pike continues to improve, but it is my opinion that he throws costly interceptions. This year he hasnt as much, but he had 11 last season and he was out alot for injury.

PECKERWOOD
10-15-2009, 03:22 PM
Right now I like Bradford the most, but wouldn't a guy like Tebow in the 2nd.

bigbub2352
10-15-2009, 03:44 PM
I really like this kid:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=232007
dont know if he is draft eligable or not but i seen him a few times now and am a big Mich fan were he transferred from
if this kid comes out i would take him

Ingtar33
10-15-2009, 04:07 PM
are they the top QB in this draft? I'm not so sure. but if you had to pin me down I'd say Bradford (though i don't really like either of them)

What are their playing styles? Who would you compare them too?
Bradford is definitely a pocket passer... his arm is much stronger then Brady's so that comparison doesn't fly... he's also not as accurate as Brady (his accuracy in general is a concern with Bradford, and ignore his completion percentage.. it's easy to be inaccurate and throw for 70% when your WRs are open by 10 yards on every play). If i had to compare him to anyone physically he reminds me of a less accurate Payton Manning.

McCoy is basically a less talented (physically) version of Vince Young. He'll not kill you with his legs like Young did, but he's a marginally a better passer then Young. The problem with McCoy is he basically runs what amounts to a 1 read offense... in short, to call it gimmicky would be an understatement. Throw in the fact the guy isn't the sharpest tool in the shed and you really have to wonder if he can make the jump to the pros.

Bradford and McCoy both benefit from all world talent surrounding them. McCoy runs a gimicy offense, and runs it well.. i would say he runs it better then Bradford runs his more pro style spread offense. Bradford has a strong arm, and when he's on, great accuracy... though he only rarely flashes that accuracy. Overall, neither is "amazing"

and who would you rather draft? Neither. but if i HAD to take one in round 1? I'd take bradford, because i think he'd manage the wind in buffalo better then McCoy, he also runs a more pro style offense, and i really question if mccoy could make the transition to the pros.

k-oneputt
10-15-2009, 04:25 PM
1. Locker
2. Clausen

WeAreArthurMoates
10-15-2009, 04:43 PM
My list goes Bradford number 1, Clausen if he declares number 2 and Pike 3. I think we have to get one of these guys.

Mudflap1
10-15-2009, 04:48 PM
I would like to see Jimmy Clausen play well and beat some quality opponents before I start drinking the Kool-Aid.

Raptor
10-15-2009, 04:50 PM
If those are the only two Bradford by a mile

If I had to pick one QB in this draft that is most likely to bust it would be McCoy. Easiest offense in football to run and he has no arm

Block "O"
10-15-2009, 05:48 PM
Bills fans will complain about McCoy's arm strength so he should be thrown out right now.

Demon
10-15-2009, 06:00 PM
I would like to see Jimmy Clausen play well and beat some quality opponents before I start drinking the Kool-Aid.

Too late. He's been a bum until now, when they have a cake walk schedule and he has a monster line, one of the biggest TE recruits in recent years, 2 big time WRs and 2 great RBs..... Clausen will be a bum as a pro.