PDA

View Full Version : Great (Positive) News!... IMO

Mahdi
10-16-2009, 11:11 AM
Not that I enjoy the news of Bills being injured... BUT according to Chris Brown, Ellison and Reed were not able to practice on Friday.

There is a good chance Harris and Palmer will start at the OLB spots with Poz in the middle.

I think this will be the most active group of LBs we have had starting for us since Fletcher and Crowell were here.

The second bit of injury news could allow Steve Johnson to get plenty of playing time in the slot. They dont like playing Parrish there too much so Stevie should get a big opportunity this week.

These moves should bring a lot of energy and hunger to our team.

I'll be watching these guys closely on Sunday.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/

GO BILLS!

Thurmal
10-16-2009, 11:16 AM
I'm pretty sure that S. Johnson instead of Reed is a big downgrade.

What does it matter, though? We can't get the ball to two of the best receivers in the NFL, why would a 7th-round draft pick have a big game?

BillsWin
10-16-2009, 11:17 AM
Steve would get playtime with a competent staff. This franchise is run by a bunch of morons.

Michael82
10-16-2009, 11:20 AM
:rofl: Reed is one of our most consistant WRs. If he's hurt, it will definitely suck!

ddaryl
10-16-2009, 11:26 AM
I'm glad Stevie is geting some playing time.. but I wanted him in there with Reed and with Parrish sitting

TacklingDummy
10-16-2009, 11:32 AM
Ellison is 3rd in the NFL in tackles.

Michael82
10-16-2009, 11:32 AM
I'm glad Stevie is geting some playing time.. but I wanted him in there with Reed and with Parrish sitting
I'd rather hear that Parrish is out.

yordad
10-16-2009, 11:35 AM
Since the outcome is pretty much a lock, and the Bills have no chance at the post season, I don't think this is bad news either. Lets let our future get some experience now.

Commissioner
10-16-2009, 11:36 AM
Ellison was the best LBer left.... yeah that's great news.

Demon
10-16-2009, 11:41 AM
:rofl: Reed is one of our most consistant WRs. If he's hurt, it will definitely suck!

Def. When he leaves Buffalo i think a lot of fans will regret losing him and many will just never understand why he's putting up better numbers else where. He is a very good WR and i never understood why so many people disliked him. And i don't know what all the hype over Steve Johnson is? Sure, i like the guy too and think he has potential, but to be happy he's playing over Josh Reed seems a bit of a joke. What's Johnson done to merit to think he'll ever be nearly as good as Josh Reed?

Mahdi
10-16-2009, 11:42 AM
Ellison was the best LBer left.... yeah that's great news.
So because he has lots of tackles he's our new ALL-STAR?

He has been used MANY times this year as a blitzer.... how many sacks does he have?

He is a coverage LB... who did Ben Watson beat for 2 TDs to win the game?

How many INTs does he have? Is he not an athletic LBer?

It's amazing how getting lots of tackles now is enough to be considered special.

What happened to making a play that is not already expected of you?

I think Johnson's 2 TDs last year (in very limited playing time) match what Reed has had for the Bills in 3 years. He can certainly catch the 4 yard throws from Trent with consistency though.

Mahdi
10-16-2009, 11:44 AM
Def. When he leaves Buffalo i think a lot of fans will regret losing him and many will just never understand why he's putting up better numbers else where. He is a very good WR and i never understood why so many people disliked him. And i don't know what all the hype over Steve Johnson is? Sure, i like the guy too and think he has potential, but to be happy he's playing over Josh Reed seems a bit of a joke. What's Johnson done to merit to think he'll ever be nearly as good as Josh Reed?
What has Josh Reed done to merit the Josh Reed LOVE.

Goobylal
10-16-2009, 11:45 AM
I'm also excited to see what Poz, Harris, and Palmer can do, because they represent the (foreseeable, unless/until the Bills draft someone better) future at LB'er. As for Johnson over Reed, we'll have to see how that plays out, but Reed is an UFA at the end of the year and auditioning his replacement isn't a bad idea. And it might not matter who plays 3rd WR, with Trent sucking so badly.

Commissioner
10-16-2009, 11:49 AM
So because he has lots of tackles he's our new ALL-STAR?

He has been used MANY times this year as a blitzer.... how many sacks does he have?

He is a coverage LB... who did Ben Watson beat for 2 TDs to win the game?

How many INTs does he have? Is he not an athletic LBer?

It's amazing how getting lots of tackles now is enough to be considered special.

What happened to making a play that is not already expected of you?

I think Johnson's 2 TDs last year (in very limited playing time) match what Reed has had for the Bills in 3 years. He can certainly catch the 4 yard throws from Trent with consistency though.

I guess you missed his 4th down stuffs this year.

Best left doesn't mean all star. I'm for fielding the best players on the team to win the game... not having preseason tryouts during regular season. You play to win the game.

Mahdi
10-16-2009, 11:55 AM
I guess you missed his 4th down stuffs this year.

Best left doesn't mean all star. I'm for fielding the best players on the team to win the game... not having preseason tryouts during regular season. You play to win the game.
Those 4th down stuffs were gimme plays. The DL blew up the OL on those plays and he got through. Big deal.

I believe Ashlee Palmer had a stuff on 4th down against the Browns too.

Ellison doesn't make impact plays and is often beat in coverage which is supposed to be his strength.

psubills62
10-16-2009, 12:18 PM
Also according to CB's blog, Reed was out for personal reasons. Ellison is questionable. Bryan Scott and Jonathan Scott are both out for Sunday.

Nighthawk
10-16-2009, 12:18 PM

So? Who cares if every tackle is 7 yards downfield! Anytime somebody is playing instead of Ellison, it's a good thing. Hopefully one of the youngsters will be able to show something and actually be able to make a difference out there.

SABURZFAN
10-16-2009, 12:20 PM
Not that I enjoy the news of Bills being injured... BUT according to Chris Brown, Ellison and Reed were not able to practice on Friday.

that's not good news. :down: granted, Ellison is not a great player but we don't need any more injuries to the LB positions. Reed is probably the most consistant WR on the roster. WTF???

Dr. Lecter
10-16-2009, 12:22 PM

1.Best WR blocker on the team
2. Best route runner on the team.
3. Best hands on the team.
4. Best at gaining 6 yards on 3rd and 5.

Reed is not an all-star by any means. But he is a very good football player and is, right now, way better than Steve Johnson.

Nighthawk
10-16-2009, 12:22 PM
that's not good news. :down: granted, Ellison is not a great player but we don't need any more injuries to the LB positions. Reed is probably the most consistant WR on the roster. WTF???

Sabz, so they lose another game...who cares at this point?!?!

trapezeus
10-16-2009, 12:23 PM
Johnson needs to get in there. Reed was the best intermediate WR we had though. i agree with Ddaryl. Parrish should have been sat and Johnson inserted.

Like it or not, he's the number 2 receiver next year if the bills fail to make any changes. and looking at this group of idiots, they won't add a soul aside from camp fodder and draft picks. Johnson needs to see the field to determine what his value is. Owens isn't here next year and hardy isn't even dressing until week 10. Johnson supposedly came from a school that ran a more NFL offense. Hardy was just running go routes (or so it sounds from predraft scouting reports) and being great against less atheletic kids (last time we drafted that guy, we called him JP losman).

If Johnson flames out this year, We go into next year with:

1. Evans -a guy who never gets open and never crosses the middle of the field. Oooo, teams are so afraid of our number 1.
2. Hardy (a guy who played below average his rookie season, and sat out the majority of his second year. He's behind pace to even become an average reciver at this point in his third year)
3. Owens is gone
4. Reed most likely is gone on a contract basis.
5. Parrish, if there is a god, is gone.

then what? Start the gunners from the ST? No thanks. If johnson isn't a viable target, this year....we need to know.

Beastie Bills
10-16-2009, 12:30 PM
I don't get all the Ellison hate. Yes, I'd rather have somebody better as a starter, but he's been our best LB besides Poz this season.

trapezeus
10-16-2009, 12:33 PM
Ellison is #3 in tackles. like Fletcher, this is a bit misleading. If you are getting dragged 3-4 yards after the play every time...chances are you are still giving up points. Point is...he shouldn't be the lead tackler. Stroud and the middle should be stout enough to stop this. Ellison should be ok in TE coverage and not so involved in run stopping. Our pass rushing de aren't getting any pressure and often times way out of making a rushing stop.

Nighthawk
10-16-2009, 12:36 PM
I don't get all the Ellison hate. Yes, I'd rather have somebody better as a starter, but he's been our best LB besides Poz this season.

Umm, that isn't saying much. Just because he is the leading tackler, doesn't make him a good player...he's still terrible and always will be.

bigbub2352
10-16-2009, 01:08 PM
dont do it LOL they are gonna come for you the REED LOVERS

i think Steve should be getting playing time over Parrish and Jenkins all day they fact that he is inactive and Jenkins is active shows u how bad our coaching style and management is
they dont know what the hell they are doing

SABURZFAN
10-16-2009, 01:10 PM
Sabz, so they lose another game...who cares at this point?!?!

I DO!!!!!!! I'M SICK OF ****ING LOSING!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

bigbub2352
10-16-2009, 01:12 PM

Reed is not an all-star by any means. But he is a very good football player and is, right now, way better than Steve Johnson.
Ok DR here we go
Route runner? he is only open x2 a game, now that could be Edwards but i doubt it cause it was the same situation with Bledsoe Holocomb and Losman
Best Hands on the Team really? i just gotta think Evans has better hands then him and Jackson and Lynch too
i will give u number 4
see i was nice

bigbub2352
10-16-2009, 01:15 PM
anyone who thinks ellison is worth a damn just doesnt understand what a real NFL LBer should look like
we gave up 600yds rushing in the last 3 games he was on the feild for all of it
i know it isnt all his fault, and yes he made 2 plays this yr that everyone seems to be focusing on.
For the last 3 yrs he has been run over pushed out of the way and making no impact plays whatsoever as a blitzer or run stuffer
man i can not wait to we get out of this pussy scheme and get some real players in here (hope we ever do)

Mahdi
10-16-2009, 01:19 PM

Reed has 11 receptions in 5 games with a QB who has an addiction to short throws, which as you claim, is Reed's strength.

Evans has much better hands. Its not even a debate.

Im sure Johnson would have serious difficulty replicating 2 receptions a game and 1 TD in 5.

Beastie Bills
10-16-2009, 03:14 PM
Umm, that isn't saying much. Just because he is the leading tackler, doesn't make him a good player...he's still terrible and always will be.

Umm, when did I say anything about him being our leading tackler. I said he is the best LB on our team besides Poz. Mitchell sucks, always takes horrible angles or over pursues. Who else is there besides rookies?

Again, in a perfect world, our starters would be Poz, and two guys who aren't on our roster, with Ellison being a capable backup.

Nighthawk
10-16-2009, 10:01 PM
I DO!!!!!!! I'M SICK OF ****ING LOSING!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Except losing would mean the potential firing and housecleaning that this organization needs...it's better to lose at this point. I know, I know...it's tough, but it is reality.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
10-16-2009, 10:08 PM
im not excited by any of this

SABURZFAN
10-16-2009, 10:14 PM
Except losing would mean the potential firing and housecleaning that this organization needs...it's better to lose at this point. I know, I know...it's tough, but it is reality.

i wouldn't be surprised if Jauron is back next year.

PECKERWOOD
10-16-2009, 10:20 PM

Not a chance in hell.

Michael82
10-17-2009, 01:02 AM
I'll bet you all your zonebucks that Jauron won't be back in Buffalo as HC next year.

Crisis
10-17-2009, 03:55 AM
steve johnson's upside IS being josh reed, and thats best-case scenario.

SABURZFAN
10-17-2009, 07:00 AM
I'll bet you all your zonebucks that Jauron won't be back in Buffalo as HC next year.

i didn't say that he would be back. it just wouldn't surprise if he is. besides, you still owe me 200,000 ZB's for showing up at the bar before the Home Opener. :tap:

Jan Reimers
10-17-2009, 07:19 AM
Reed has 11 receptions in 5 games with a QB who has an addiction to short throws, which as you claim, is Reed's strength.

Evans has much better hands. Its not even a debate.

Im sure Johnson would have serious difficulty replicating 2 receptions a game and 1 TD in 5.
It's funny how our three main receivers - Evans, Owens and Reed - all suck this year. The common denominator? Trent Edwards. If these guys can't get the ball, is Steve Johnson suddenly going to be a star with Edwards at QB?

Michael82
10-17-2009, 07:58 AM
It's funny how our three main receivers - Evans, Owens and Reed - all suck this year. The common denominator? Trent Edwards. If these guys can't get the ball, is Steve Johnson suddenly going to be a star with Edwards at QB?
Exactly! Great post, as always Jan! :hi5:

yordad
10-17-2009, 09:08 AM
steve johnson's upside IS being josh reed, and thats best-case scenario.YEah, exactly! Except taller, and faster, and younger, and healthier, and stronger, and more gifted. But yeah, exactly!

Jan Reimers
10-17-2009, 09:15 AM
I agree that Johnson might eventually be very good. But we have a QB who can't get the ball to the talented, veteran receivers we already have. Johnson will just give Trent one more receiver to miss.

Canadian'eh!
10-17-2009, 09:25 AM

I bet he's 1st in blown coverages by a LB.

Canadian'eh!
10-17-2009, 09:28 AM

Disagree. Reed has good hands, but Lee still has the best. Lee might have him in route running too. Too bad no one ever throws to him.

HHURRICANE
10-17-2009, 09:38 AM
Steve would get playtime with a competent staff. This franchise is run by a bunch of morons.

Our front office knows how to get players that look good their rookie season to play worse in years two, three and four.

Ko Simpson, Yobouty, Edwards, Ellsion, and now Johnson to name a few.

Jan Reimers
10-17-2009, 09:41 AM
Our front office knows how to get players that look good their rookie season to play worse in years two, three and four.

Ko Simpson, Yobouty, Edwards, Ellsion, and now Johnson to name a few.
But Marv says Dick is a great teacher. ..

PECKERWOOD
10-17-2009, 11:35 AM
How can you defend our #3 wideout who hasn't been getting open even with TO and Evans on either side of him? That's inexcusable, Reed SUCKS.

Crisis
10-17-2009, 04:58 PM
YEah, exactly! Except taller, and faster, and younger, and healthier, and stronger, and more gifted. But yeah, exactly!
josh reed 40 yard dash - 4.54

steve johnson 40 yard dash - 4.57

taller? yes. faster? no. stronger? no.

You're comparing a 7th round dime a dozen receiver prospect to someone who's been extremely productive, and if he was on an actual NFL team, would put up much better numbers.

Josh Reed is a better football player, and that's all that matters. What exactly do people see in Johnson that makes them think he'll be anything more than a 3rd/4th receiver. I don't get the love for him.

When Reed finally goes to a real NFL team, people are going to realize just how good he is, and wonder why we let him go.

homeslice5484
10-17-2009, 05:22 PM
Reed will play

Mahdi
10-17-2009, 06:51 PM
no.

Mahdi
10-17-2009, 06:54 PM

You're comparing a 7th round dime a dozen receiver prospect to someone who's been extremely productive, and if he was on an actual NFL team, would put up much better numbers.

Josh Reed is a better football player, and that's all that matters. What exactly do people see in Johnson that makes them think he'll be anything more than a 3rd/4th receiver. I don't get the love for him.

When Reed finally goes to a real NFL team, people are going to realize just how good he is, and wonder why we let him go.
Look make whatever argument you want to make, but please don't call Reed productive because the stats simply dont support that claim.

yordad
10-17-2009, 08:49 PM

When Reed finally goes to a real NFL team, people are going to realize just how good he is, and wonder why we let him go.You don't think Reed lost .03 seconds at age 29?

yordad
10-17-2009, 09:01 PM
Besides, can Reed do this!!?!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn68GGmGb2I&feature=player_embedded

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zn68GGmGb2I&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="425" height="344">"><object width="425" height="344">

(http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/%3Cobject%20width=)

Mr. Pink
10-17-2009, 09:58 PM
Our most reliable WR being hurt is great news?

And Ellison for Harris or Palmer? That's like trading dog crap for cat crap.

Where's the great news?

Crisis
10-18-2009, 02:01 AM
Look make whatever argument you want to make, but please don't call Reed productive because the stats simply dont support that claim.
50+ catches and 500+ yards is pretty productive for a #3 receiver, especially when you consider who's been throwing him the ball - and yeah, he's been thrust into the #2 role because how bad our receiver core has been in the past, but he's an ok #2 and a great #3, which is what I would put Steve Johnson's ceiling as.

Michael82
10-18-2009, 08:09 AM
I don't get the love for Steve Johnson. If he was actually worth something and showed it on the practice field, he would be getting playing time and wouldnt be inactive all the time.