PDA

View Full Version : Considering we'll switch...

Yasgur's Farm
10-16-2009, 06:59 PM
... To the 3-4 next season, I'd have to prioritize our talent grab (free agency, draft or trade) to be:

1) DT - We'll need a big body to anchor that line... We currently don't own one. I see D-line as follows...
LDE - Stroud, Kelsay, Maybin
DT - big body new comer, Williams, Stroud
RDE - Johnson, Schobel, Maybin
(Maybin comes in at either LDE, RDE, LOLB, or ROLB... 2011 he replaces Schobel and/or Kelsay).

2) OLB - We need to obtain 1 starter to hold down the corner.
LOB - Harris, Ellison, Maybin
LIB - Poz, DiGi
RIB - Mitchell, Buggs
ROLB - Newbie, Palmer, Maybin
Poz (when healthy) and Mitchell (likewise) are a perfect pair for inside backers in the 3-4. Nic Harris seems well suited for one of the outside slots... We'll need another starter. Can't count on Ellison or DiGi to fill this... and Maybin will be a short term roving guy (see above).

3) QB - Edwards is not the answer. Fitzpatrick could be but very doubtful. Hamden is what he is. I'll move this need to number 1 if we're drafting top 5.

PECKERWOOD
10-16-2009, 07:03 PM
I understand Kyle Williams isn't your ideal size, but I bet he could play NT.

Typ0
10-16-2009, 07:08 PM
the same coaching staff will still be here next year.

BillsWin
10-16-2009, 07:24 PM

shut up, shut up, shut up, shut UP! You will jinx us.

casdhf
10-16-2009, 08:11 PM
There is no way Maybin plays DE in a 3-4. He'll be a rush LB and he'll have 15 sacks.

BillsWin
10-16-2009, 08:12 PM
There is no way Maybin plays DE in a 3-4. He'll be a rush LB and he'll have 15 sacks.

He will be fantastic next year. If we switch to a 3-4.

SabreEleven
10-16-2009, 08:14 PM
At least if they switch to the 3-4, the offense can practice against it and might actually score a TD or two during the season but that is just me talking crazy.

New Ro's Greatest
10-16-2009, 08:18 PM
I understand Kyle Williams isn't your ideal size, but I bet he could play NT.

I bet you he can't! No way in hell he will play NT in a 3-4 and he is 300 pounds at the heaviest. GO BILLS:shutup:

PECKERWOOD
10-16-2009, 09:21 PM
I bet you he can't! No way in hell he will play NT in a 3-4 and he is 300 pounds at the heaviest. GO BILLS:shutup:

Technique, effort, intelligence, strength have nothing to do with weight. I've seen smaller guys take down people who outweighed them by 100+ lbs, doesn't matter. 30lbs isn't *Dick.

yordad
10-16-2009, 09:33 PM
I would figure it to be Stroud with this roster.

life of faith
10-16-2009, 11:37 PM
this roster is better suit for the 4-3 IMO. If we switched to a 3-4 we would need 5 good Linebackers.....

Akhippo
10-16-2009, 11:46 PM
I would go S Johnson, K Willliams, R Denney
then we could have Stroud, Draft Pick, FA

With the Linebacker as Maybin, Poz, Mitchell, (Merriman) hopefull FA

The problem is all of our new linebackers really wont have a place; not that they would on a more stout 4-3.

As my prize FA I would go after either Merriman or Wilfork if either is available.

Yasgur's Farm
10-17-2009, 07:41 AM
This is why I prioritize need as..

DT
LB
QB
T

We'll have to do it via draft... In an uncapped year, free agent signings of starters isn't gonna happen for the Bills.

kernowboy
10-17-2009, 07:48 AM
Kelly Gregg played NT for the Ravens for many years and successfully at 305lbs. Ratliff at the Cowboys isn't too big either.

The problem with switching is there are now too many teams after the same type of players. When there were only a few 3-4 teams they could get great value but that advantage was lost.

DraftBoy
10-17-2009, 07:50 AM
... To the 3-4 next season, I'd have to prioritize our talent grab (free agency, draft or trade) to be:

1) DT - We'll need a big body to anchor that line... We currently don't own one. I see D-line as follows...
LDE - Stroud, Kelsay, Maybin
DT - big body new comer, Williams, Stroud
RDE - Johnson, Schobel, Maybin
(Maybin comes in at either LDE, RDE, LOLB, or ROLB... 2011 he replaces Schobel and/or Kelsay).

2) OLB - We need to obtain 1 starter to hold down the corner.
LOB - Harris, Ellison, Maybin
LIB - Poz, DiGi
RIB - Mitchell, Buggs
ROLB - Newbie, Palmer, Maybin
Poz (when healthy) and Mitchell (likewise) are a perfect pair for inside backers in the 3-4. Nic Harris seems well suited for one of the outside slots... We'll need another starter. Can't count on Ellison or DiGi to fill this... and Maybin will be a short term roving guy (see above).

3) QB - Edwards is not the answer. Fitzpatrick could be but very doubtful. Hamden is what he is. I'll move this need to number 1 if we're drafting top 5.

How do you figure we're automatically switching to a 3-4 next season?? We'll need to work on getting more physical CB's and S's.

nateodoms'bff
10-17-2009, 05:58 PM
im not sure why there is such a desire to see the Bills switch to the 3-4 defense.

As it stands, this defense is decent against the pass, but gets dominated against the run. You don't shore up the run defense by switching schemes that you don't have the personnel for. The Bills would have to add serious LB depth, and a game changing LB to make the 3-4 defense work.

The problem with the Bills is the offense. If this team could execute 3 drives a game, the defense would have less pressure on it to come up big every time they take the field.

And also, Marcus Stroud is not a DE in the 3-4, he is the NT. The man weighs over 310 pounds. He's a big man that can take up a lot of space. Kyle Wiliams and Spencer Johnson would be the starting DE's on his roster. Mitchell/Poz/Harris/Maybin would be interesting, but in no way could they be considered frightening to opposing teams.

OpIv37
10-17-2009, 06:07 PM
Enough of this 3-4 talk. I hate the c2 as much as anyone, but we'reat least 6 starters away from running a 3-4. We don't have a single defensive lineman who fits a 3-4

PECKERWOOD
10-17-2009, 06:26 PM
This is why I prioritize need as..

DT
LB
QB
T

We'll have to do it via draft... In an uncapped year, free agent signings of starters isn't gonna happen for the Bills.

1.) QB
2.) LT
3.) WR

That's my top 3 positions of need right now.

Akhippo
10-17-2009, 07:27 PM
Who ever has the personnel for a scheme switch. Nobody ever drafts a 3-4 DE while they are running a four man front just in case down the road they want to switch.

Its painful at first no doubt, but just because you dont have the personnel right now will not stop a new coach from considering it. GB didnt even switch head coaches and pulled it off this year.

I do admit going from the cover two to a 3-4 is alot harder than having a hefty 4-3 base defense.

I think we have 6 players out of 7 for a switch with our #1 pick last year being a valuable one of those.

Nighthawk
10-17-2009, 07:34 PM

No, it won't...root for losses...there is no way that this loser keeps his job if we go 1-15, 2-14, 3-13 or 4-12...

Mr. Pink
10-17-2009, 10:11 PM
If we switch to the 3-4 next season we'll need on top of QB, OL, WR, which we already need...

2 DEs with some skill. I assume we'd have Johnson - Stroud - new guy as the line

2-3 LBs Maybin - Poz - Mitchell (maybe) - new guy

Physical corners and safeties....McKelvin MIGHT be the only guy we have of use.

So we just added 5 holes on D that have to be filled. Most will be filled originally by warm bodies. Doesn't mean they'll work.

Denney, Schobel, Kelsay are all useless in a 3-4 scheme. What do you do with them?

This team will suck for at least 3 years on defense while trying to assemble the talent needed to effectively run a 3-4. Are people prepared for 3 or more years of being one of the worst defensives in the NFL? Are people prepared to put up with at least 3 years of suck without wanting to run the new coaching staff out of town?

Michael82
10-18-2009, 12:55 AM
I don't know why people think we are going to scrap the system next year. Honestly, I see our new head coach keeping a bunch of the staff to save Ralph some of the money that he will be eating when he fires Jauron. I wouldn't be surprised if Perry Fewell is kept. :ill:

kernowboy
10-18-2009, 10:04 AM
Denney at 275lbs in close to being a 3-4 DE.

Schobel can be an OLB/DE on one side with Maybin on the other.

With our current personnel we could go:

A line of - Denney - Stroud - Johnson
A LBCorps of - Maybin - Posluzny - Mitchell - Schobel.

Youboty can pair with McKelvin and Whitner can go back to SS. What we really need is a dynamic FS and Eric Berry will likely be available

soapman
10-18-2009, 11:51 AM
I wasn't aware we were switching. Hate the idea, never liked the 3-4 personally. And we wouldn't have the personel to do it, nor would they invest so heavily in Maybin to turn around and make him a linebacker which they were obvioiusly against even when we're sitting with no lb depth. IMO of course.

PECKERWOOD
10-18-2009, 01:56 PM
Schobel is NOT useless in the 3-4 scheme, he would be a valuable pass rushing OLB in the 3-4. You can't tell me that he couldn't at least be a Mike Vrabel caliber of player, he is very athletic and one of the better Bills players over the last decade or so.