PDA

View Full Version : Next Billboard to be in Detroit!

Michael82
10-17-2009, 12:19 PM
I know a lot of people were *****ing because Ralph wouldn't see the billboard. So....to solve this problem, Ryan said that the next one will be somewhere in Detroit. This is from Jerry Sullivan's chat yesterday....

Sully: Sorry for the slight delay. The usual technical glitches. What's on your mind? The no-huddle? The billboard? I spoke with the kid today and the second billboard will go up in Detroit.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sully_on_sports/

It was also posted by Ryan on his website that due to many people talking about how calling him Dick on the billboard seems childish, this is the billboard that will appear on the 190 next week....

B-DON
10-17-2009, 12:59 PM
nice

ddaryl
10-17-2009, 01:09 PM
we wouldn't want it getting personal. This might embarass Ralph [/sarcasm]

JediMindPowers
10-17-2009, 01:15 PM
They need to add Trent Edwards to that list.

Novacane
10-17-2009, 02:08 PM
What is the chance of Ralph seeing the billboard in Detroit either? Slim to none. That will be a waste of money. 99% of the people who see the billboard won't have a clue what it's talking about.

Michael82
10-17-2009, 02:17 PM
What is the chance of Ralph seeing the billboard in Detroit either? Slim to none. That will be a waste of money. 99% of the people who see the billboard won't have a clue what it's talking about.
hmm, u do have a point. Maybe the best place is to put it in Orchard Park near the stadium. :up:

Luisito23
10-17-2009, 03:11 PM
They need to add Trent Edwards to that list.

They need to add the entire staff to that list!!!...No need to just get rid of DJ when he's just part of the problem!

DraftBoy
10-17-2009, 04:02 PM
I dont like the billboard from the get go, but I dont understand why you would put one in Detroit.

Ebenezer
10-17-2009, 04:09 PM
hmm, u do have a point. Maybe the best place is to put it in Orchard Park near the stadium. :up:
maybe the best thing is for people to grow up and realize that RW has done this for 50 years...he's not an idiot. His decisions are either financial or because of the product on the field - always has been always will be. Just ask anybody who witnessed his actions at the People Express gate over 20 years ago. The guy didn't amass his fortune by being oblivious. He runs the team based on money - not on the feelings of the fans. The only other hope fans have is that the team starts losing 40-7 every week. On field embarrassment will do it - nothing else will.

Canadian'eh!
10-17-2009, 06:16 PM
Putting a billboard in Detroit is ******ed.

He will see it and hear about it if it's close to Ralph Wilson Stadium. He goes to games you know.

But the key is to raise the pressure and awareness in BUFFALO. no one in Detroit cares, especially Ralph.

Save money and send him a postcard at home.

Canadian'eh!
10-17-2009, 06:57 PM
Just spoke with Ryan... said they floated the rumor of Detroit only, and it doesn't seem like they will go that way after all.

BillsWin
10-17-2009, 10:41 PM
What is the chance of Ralph seeing the billboard in Detroit either? Slim to none. That will be a waste of money. 99% of the people who see the billboard won't have a clue what it's talking about.]

Youre right. This is about the Buffalo Bills not the Detroit Lions. The best thing to do is to put them up in Orchard Park and Buffalo.

BertSquirtgum
10-17-2009, 10:50 PM
i love the billboard but this would be very dumb and a waste of money.

Buffalogic
10-18-2009, 12:25 AM
In detroit so Wilson could see it? Yeah right. He'd barely see it if it was right infront of him.

Crisis
10-18-2009, 02:13 AM
Just put up signs in the entrance to every Denny's in WNY and Detroit.

Billz_fan
10-18-2009, 02:45 AM
Agree, keep it in Buffalo. Ralph doesn't need to physically see it. He already knows about it. Trust me.

It's more important to keep getting the fanbase more and more united at this point.

I have said this before I will say it again. The only thing that is going to make a difference in what this organization does is..........

EMPTY SEATS on Sundays. That is the only thing. If this team continues to sell out football games they are not going to care about anything else. Someone tell me why they would care if the place is always sold out ? They won't. They will laugh all the way to the bank.

The other arguement is if folks don't show up they move the team. Well,, tell me what difference does it make if all we are ever gonna get is crappy football ? No proven coaches and a dysfunctional front office. I lived in Rochester for 37 years and spent thousands at the Ralph and on the Bills. But during the 80's when the team posted back to back 2 win seasons we stayed home and it worked. The result we got from staying home was the best run in team history. I remember many Sundays of 20k people in the stands. It works.

You want to take a stand and not be held hostage. Then do so. However you cannot take a stand and continue to line the companys pockets every year for a product that just plain stinks.

This whole thing is a process, Im all in favor of the billboards. In order for this to get better though it will have to affect the bottom line. It is just that simple.

El Guapo
10-18-2009, 05:18 AM
Just rent some time on the jumbo-tron at the Ralph.

Just kidding, but wouldn't that be funny....

Jan Reimers
10-18-2009, 07:14 AM
I think Ralph lives in Grosse Pointe, a very affluent community near Detroit. He will in all probability never see the billboard. The Lions fans won't give a crap. If the billboard in Buffalo was a stupid idea, this one is imbecilic.

Typ0
10-18-2009, 07:36 AM
These guys time and money would be much better spent lobbying Albany to pony up a sweet stadium deal to keep the only NFL team in New York state. Without that deal being on the table when ownership changes it's a guarantee they won't even be prepared to keep it here.

don137
10-18-2009, 07:48 AM
Not sure why Ralph needs to see the billboard. Having the whole sports world talk about the one in Buffalo creates more pressure on Wilson than having him see it. It also could make Ralph resent Bills fans.

Typ0
10-18-2009, 08:09 AM
Not sure why Ralph needs to see the billboard. Having the whole sports world talk about the one in Buffalo creates more pressure on Wilson than having him see it. It also could make Ralph resent Bills fans.

I'm sure he's going to resent us if we stop buying tickets in droves to prove him wrong we won't put up with anything. That's what he believes he's so damn smug to keep telling us that. And this silly billboard crap and wearing black into the stadium while we keep lining his pockets just perpetuates his myths while he snickers all the way to the bank.

Jan Reimers
10-18-2009, 08:20 AM
It also could make Ralph resent Bills fans.
That's one of my issues. This kind of public humiliation may strengthen, even more, his resolve to sell to the highest bidder upon his demise. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have softened his position, anyway, but this very well might totally kill the chance of any local group getting an opportunity. Kind of a "Screw you ungrateful, billboard buying fans and your attempts to embarrass me at 91. The Bills will be gone when I am."

Typ0
10-18-2009, 08:26 AM
He's already made that decision. He's too old to have any attitudinal changes. He's too old to be trying to pilot a football team too. Maybe he'll get pissed and sell it right now! But anyone with any business sense knows someone in this market can't pay what someone in the LA market can pay. It wouldn't surprise me if he's talking to that group right now because it's probably the most lucrative deal going to be done in the next decade in the NFL and he's not going to live that long...so another franchise may scoop in and get it done before he croaks and the business will lose huge dollars in opportunity cost.

That's one of my issues. This kind of public humiliation may strengthen, even more, his resolve to sell to the highest bidder upon his demise. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have softened his position, anyway, but this very well might totally kill the chance of any local group getting an opportunity. Kind of a "Screw you ungrateful, billboard buying fans and your attempts to embarrass me at 91. The Bills will be gone when I am."

ddaryl
10-18-2009, 08:41 AM

Ralph might not see it, but the media will make sure he knows its there

don137
10-18-2009, 08:49 AM
He's already made that decision. He's too old to have any attitudinal changes. He's too old to be trying to pilot a football team too. Maybe he'll get pissed and sell it right now! But anyone with any business sense knows someone in this market can't pay what someone in the LA market can pay. It wouldn't surprise me if he's talking to that group right now because it's probably the most lucrative deal going to be done in the next decade in the NFL and he's not going to live that long...so another franchise may scoop in and get it done before he croaks and the business will lose huge dollars in opportunity cost.

I can not see him selling the team before he dies for tax reasons but I could also see him gettng pissed and moving the team. The team may sell for more if the team was already in LA with a new stadium built or scheduled to be built by the time he dies.

Typ0
10-18-2009, 08:51 AM
Let's pool some cash together and build a rocketship that looks like a giant penis. We can paint it blue and and red and write DICK SUCKS right down the side and then launch it out of the solar system.

Ebenezer
10-18-2009, 08:51 AM
I think Ralph lives in Grosse Pointe, a very affluent community near Detroit. He will in all probability never see the billboard. The Lions fans won't give a crap. If the billboard in Buffalo was a stupid idea, this one is imbecilic.
both are...

Ebenezer
10-18-2009, 08:53 AM
you've seen how this guy has acted for 50 years Jan...I have witnessed it for almost 40...most of these actions are being done by kids in their 30s or younger or "older" guys who just don't get it...RW doesn't care about the emotions of the fans...money is the driver.

Typ0
10-18-2009, 08:54 AM
I can not see him selling the team before he dies for tax reasons but I could also see him gettng pissed and moving the team. The team may sell for more if the team was already in LA with a new stadium built or scheduled to be built by the time he dies.

He could commit the team and make the deal with no money changing hands until the time of his death which would evade the tax issue and make sure he gets the market position he wants on the sale. I actually think his feeling is he wants to win one before he dies and that's what he's trying to do. But he has old school philosophies on resource utilization and marketing that don't fly in todays world. His time has passed but he will never see that.

Ebenezer
10-18-2009, 09:08 AM
He could commit the team and make the deal with no money changing hands until the time of his death which would evade the tax issue and make sure he gets the market position he wants on the sale. I actually think his feeling is he wants to win one before he dies and that's what he's trying to do. But he has old school philosophies on resource utilization and marketing that don't fly in todays world. His time has passed but he will never see that.
it's not an "old school" philosophy...it is the "money first" philosophy - been that way for 50 years...right from the decision to put the team in Buffalo instead of Miami in 1959.

ddaryl
10-18-2009, 09:16 AM
no matter how you slice this thing.. it is over with.. There is NOTHING we can do and there is no reason to bother anymore.. no reason to watch no reason to hope and no reason to continue to support it...

Ralph doesn't care and he is going to screw us in the end anyways.... and to be honest I don't think i care much anymore either

Typ0
10-18-2009, 09:58 AM
it's not an "old school" philosophy...it is the "money first" philosophy - been that way for 50 years...right from the decision to put the team in Buffalo instead of Miami in 1959.

It is an old school philosophy. If he understood the marketing concept and modern business he would understand that spending on delivering the product people want is the means to shareholder wealth. He is living by standards that were in place when televisions were just being put into homes and many forms of advertising were new. At that time the focus was on selling the products first and not developing the products for the marketplace. Things have changed and Ralph Wilson hasn't.

Typ0
10-18-2009, 10:05 AM
I can say the same thing about Dick jauron by the way. The game has clearly passed him by. His "style" of football just might have been great 20 or 30 years ago...but the game has gotten faster and more finesse and he hasn't made the adjustments. I guess that's where he's failing...in making adjustments. We see it every week on a micro scale this team can't make good adjustments at half time and in the macro picture DJ hasn't adjusted to the times just like Ralph Wilson. Be prepared for status quo with DJ because these two bums are a match made in heaven...we can only hope they get there sooner rather than later. Isn't that a sad and pathetic though over a football team and a game?

mybills
10-18-2009, 10:47 AM
Typ0 makes a lot of great points about Ralph. But doesn't Ralph resent the larger franchises? Isn't he always fighting for the smaller market teams? If so, why would he sell it to LA? I don't think he will. I think he'll sell to Kelly & co so it can stay put and stay small.

Jeff1220
10-18-2009, 10:51 AM
It is an old school philosophy. If he understood the marketing concept and modern business he would understand that spending on delivering the product people want is the means to shareholder wealth. He is living by standards that were in place when televisions were just being put into homes and many forms of advertising were new. At that time the focus was on selling the products first and not developing the products for the marketplace. Things have changed and Ralph Wilson hasn't.

So true. Everyone either loves or hates them, but the Yankees are the best example of this. They get criticism for spending so much, but they win. The winning tradition of that team, not penny-pinching, makes them the #2 most profitable sports franchise in the world*.

*#1 is Manchester United.

mush69
10-18-2009, 11:00 AM
These guys time and money would be much better spent lobbying Albany to pony up a sweet stadium deal to keep the only NFL team in New York state. Without that deal being on the table when ownership changes it's a guarantee they won't even be prepared to keep it here.

We won't see that anytime soon, Blinky won't have it!

Ebenezer
10-18-2009, 11:13 AM
How much more money could RW actually make by doing that and fielding a winner? The economics of the game have changed. He pays the players and meets the criteria for the minimum sal cap payment. He makes more money but keeping all the other costs cheap. That's not old school. It's more new school than Jones and Snyder.

Bmax
10-18-2009, 11:16 AM
It's not about him seeing it ..It's about the media covergae it will generate.. This Kid will be on ESPN....and the other media outlets....especially if they get blown out today....which i feel will happen.

Ralph or the higher ups will get the message... Loud and Clear !!!!!

I won't do the next one in Detroit i would do it right by the stadium or have a plane flyover with the message....That would be the thing to do .. Of course it would cost more....

Bmax

BertSquirtgum
10-18-2009, 11:44 AM
i think all of this arguing is mute. the whole point of this thread is a billboard in detroit. which is a very ****ing stupid idea. buy 1000$ worth of postcards and send them to ralph. each one with fire dick on it. this may be a dumb idea as well but it's still a hell of a lot better than a billboard in detroit.

Typ0
10-18-2009, 11:50 AM
not really. Winning will increase advertising revenue. More star players will lead to more merchandising. Hosting playoff games is a huge money maker. You can't tell me there isn't another 50 million to be made out there. I'm not saying to throw good money after bad. It's all about resource utilization. All businesses need to spend money in the right places to maximize the wealth of the owners. It's the fundamental guide to success in american business. Ralphs problem is he thinks he can have it all. The reason american business went through that transformation in the last century is because increased information sharing enabled business to leverage marketing research as a competitive advantage. The businesses that did that beat the ones that didn't out of the market place. It was a natural phenomena. The same thing applies here accept Wilson is clinging to practice that is not properly centered on consumer needs and wants.

How much more money could RW actually make by doing that and fielding a winner? The economics of the game have changed. He pays the players and meets the criteria for the minimum sal cap payment. He makes more money but keeping all the other costs cheap. That's not old school. It's more new school than Jones and Snyder.

Mudflap1
10-18-2009, 01:10 PM
Ralph lives in Gross Pointe, so it needs to be there.

Ebenezer
10-18-2009, 02:39 PM
not really. Winning will increase advertising revenue. More star players will lead to more merchandising. Hosting playoff games is a huge money maker. You can't tell me there isn't another 50 million to be made out there. I'm not saying to throw good money after bad. It's all about resource utilization. All businesses need to spend money in the right places to maximize the wealth of the owners. It's the fundamental guide to success in american business. Ralphs problem is he thinks he can have it all. The reason american business went through that transformation in the last century is because increased information sharing enabled business to leverage marketing research as a competitive advantage. The businesses that did that beat the ones that didn't out of the market place. It was a natural phenomena. The same thing applies here accept Wilson is clinging to practice that is not properly centered on consumer needs and wants.

Almost, if not all, merchandising is thrown into a bigger pot that gets divided amongst all the owners. Advertising revenue in Buffalo? In theory, correct but in tough shot here.

You are correct. He can make money having playoff games. He can also go one other route. New boxes can be put in the stadium. He can then give a second game to Toronto in exchange for MAJOR companies buying the boxes and advertising in the stadium. Yes, that would take a winner...but then again, would it benefit Canadian companies to advertise hard in Buffalo? I don't know.

Otherwise, I don't see where he can get more money by changing his ways.

Canadian'eh!
10-18-2009, 02:44 PM
Almost, if not all, merchandising is thrown into a bigger pot that gets divided amongst all the owners. Advertising revenue in Buffalo? In theory, correct but in tough shot here.

You are correct. He can make money having playoff games. He can also go one other route. New boxes can be put in the stadium. He can then give a second game to Toronto in exchange for MAJOR companies buying the boxes and advertising in the stadium. Yes, that would take a winner...but then again, would it benefit Canadian companies to advertise hard in Buffalo? I don't know.

Otherwise, I don't see where he can get more money by changing his ways.

Boxes are not advertising... they are for Schmoozing your clients. Games are a LOT of fun. If I were in Toronto and had a big business like one of the 10 national banks to look after, I'd think nothing of buying a box for the 2 games there, plus the 6 in buffalo, then taking my best clents down for a game int he private jet.

Typ0
10-18-2009, 03:24 PM
yeah I thought about the boxes but forgot to write them in...they will sell better with a winner on the field. It all equates to put out a winner and make more money.

Ebenezer
10-18-2009, 03:38 PM
Boxes are not advertising... they are for Schmoozing your clients. Games are a LOT of fun. If I were in Toronto and had a big business like one of the 10 national banks to look after, I'd think nothing of buying a box for the 2 games there, plus the 6 in buffalo, then taking my best clents down for a game int he private jet.
where did I say that boxes were advertising?? I said to buy the boxes AND advertise in the stadium.