PDA

View Full Version : Re: Jimmy Clausen

PECKERWOOD
10-17-2009, 06:00 PM
I've been candidly watching this Notre Dame versus USC game, wasn't sure what to expect. That last TD pass he threw definitely had some power and accuracy. I think he is a 1st round pick, top 15, definitely. If we squeeks out a win against USC, he could go #1 overall.

X-Era
10-17-2009, 06:05 PM
Bounced this out to the main Scouting Zone... Hope you dont mind. I try to keep the discussion stuff to a minimum in there so I can keep the profiles clean.

Besides, this discussion is worthy of being a post of its own IMO.

Give me your scouting opinions on him and I will put it in the prospect profile and put your name on it!

X-Era
10-17-2009, 06:06 PM
Hes slinging it for sure.

PECKERWOOD
10-17-2009, 06:21 PM
I have him as a first round pick right now, I'm in love with this kid. Barkley is going to be a good one too, but I wouldn't make any bones about it if we drafted Clausen next year, he is something.

X-Era
10-17-2009, 06:21 PM
Thats game, but Clausen played lights out for pretty much the 4th quarter... and put his team in a place to tie at the very least.

Even in the loss, thats all you can ask. Dont give the game away and make the plays you need to be in a position to tie or win. Locker did the same thing vs. ND... and even in the loss, he didnt lose any status IMO. I think both Locker, against ND, and Clausen in this game gain from these games.

PECKERWOOD
10-17-2009, 06:23 PM
It had the atmosphere of a pro football game, dare I say it, both these teams could beat the Bills right now.

BuffaloBlitz83
10-17-2009, 06:25 PM
He got tight on those final 2 plays, Passes were way off and rushed. Sad loss.

PECKERWOOD
10-17-2009, 06:30 PM

Yup, he had a reciever open, but one play in his senior season doesn't define his career, at least to me. My pros for Clausen:

- Great pocket presence, knows where pressure is coming from.
- About as accurate of an arm that you could ask for.
- He has a strong enough arm to be successful with at RWS late in the year.

We'd clearly need to add some wide outs who run good routes and who fight for the ball, though. Right now, we don't have anybody like that other than maybe Reed & Johnson.

X-Era
10-17-2009, 06:37 PM
Yup, he had a reciever open, but one play in his senior season doesn't define his career, at least to me. My pros for Clausen:

- Great pocket presence, knows where pressure is coming from.
- About as accurate of an arm that you could ask for.
- He has a strong enough arm to be successful with at RWS late in the year.

We'd clearly need to add some wide outs who run good routes and who fight for the ball, though. Right now, we don't have anybody like that other than maybe Reed & Johnson.

My biggest pro on the guy is accuracy... but the next biggest pro is his leadership... not with his mouth, although he will get fired up, with his play. He leads at times that he needs to... and its becoming easier to be confident that he can get it done. For us Bills fans, that ought to be huge.

Hes not the complete package. He doesnt dominate with big yardage games and huge TD totals, he will make poor throws. But he doesnt make a lot of mistakes. His arm strength isnt all world but he throws with good zip and is very accurate.

BuffaloBlitz83
10-17-2009, 06:39 PM
Clausen looked far better than Mccoy, Pike, and Bradford this week. Let's see how it works out over rest of year.

PECKERWOOD
10-17-2009, 06:50 PM
My biggest pro on the guy is accuracy... but the next biggest pro is his leadership... not with his mouth, although he will get fired up, with his play. He leads at times that he needs to... and its becoming easier to be confident that he can get it done. For us Bills fans, that ought to be huge.

Hes not the complete package. He doesnt dominate with big yardage games and huge TD totals, he will make poor throws. But he doesnt make a lot of mistakes. His arm strength isnt all world but he throws with good zip and is very accurate.

- Adept at audibles and making changes at the line of scrimmage.
- Tons of experience in a pro offense - HUGE.
- Really can throw the ball on the run while keeping his accuracy.
- Gamer in the 4th quarter.

I agree with you, though, he needs to continue progressing. Still, Clausen in my mind HAS to be a 1st round pick, Bradford, Tebow and McCoy don't play in a pro offense, Clausen is by far the most NFL ready.

BuffaloBlitz83
10-17-2009, 06:53 PM

I agree with you, though, he needs to continue progressing. Still, Clausen in my mind HAS to be a 1st round pick, Bradford, Tebow and McCoy don't play in a pro offense, Clausen is by far the most NFL ready.

But does he have the most all around skill?

Demon
10-17-2009, 07:01 PM
Clausen will be a first round pick. He won't be a Bill and he will be a bust. Not sure what all the hoopla here is all about him all of a sudden? He's doing well against a USC defense that lost like 8 guys to the NFL last year??

X-Era
10-17-2009, 07:01 PM

Your comments have been added to the profile. Thank you.

I did just a bit of editing.

:up:

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=174136

X-Era
10-17-2009, 07:02 PM
Clausen will be a first round pick. He won't be a Bill and he will be a bust. Not sure what all the hoopla here is all about him all of a sudden? He's doing well against a USC defense that lost like 8 guys to the NFL last year??
USC has a very good defense IMO.

PECKERWOOD
10-17-2009, 07:02 PM
Your comments have been added to the profile. Thank you.

I did just a bit of editing.

:up:

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=174136

Thanks, I'm delighted. :D

Raptor
10-17-2009, 07:50 PM

His last pass was dead on but the WR slipped

Raptor
10-17-2009, 07:52 PM

You mean the number 6th ranked defense in college football who hadnt allowed a single passing TD all year and then gave up two to Clausen today, that defense?

BuffaloBlitz83
10-17-2009, 07:57 PM
USC has a very solid defense. Demon, Mccoy was awful today btw.

X-Era
10-17-2009, 08:04 PM
You mean the number 6th ranked defense in college football who hadnt allowed a single passing TD all year and then gave up two to Clausen today, that defense?

I honestly dont feel like anyone is blowing smoke up anyones ass about the guy. He can win games for you and can lead an offense to be in a position to win. Thats been proven this year against good teams. I'm not ready to say he should be the #1 pick overall, but a 1st rounder, I think its possible,

jpdex12
10-17-2009, 08:11 PM
that second throw to Rudolph was Rudolph's fault. He should have found that soft spot in the zone and he kept running the drag in the back of the endzone.

Demon
10-17-2009, 08:26 PM
USC has a very solid defense. Demon, Mccoy was awful today btw.

Of course it's solid, it's USC. I said the defense that lost like 7 starters from last year and they did lose something around that number. They played nobody really. Ohio State is very over rated and they lost to Washington. But i'm sure Clausen had a good game vs. a good defense. I don't think they are a legit 6th best though but they are talented.

My point about Clausen is this, it's silly to hype up a QB after a few good games and not based on a career. Most of the hype over Clausen comes from most media people being in love with Notre Dame. This season, he had a real speedy WR (Tate) and a WR compared to TO (Floyd), one of the top TE recruits in YEARS, a very good OL and a awesome RB in Allen. He has it all. However, it wasn't long before people wanted Clausen benched. It wasn't long where people were saying Daniel Crisp would take over real soon and Clausen would sit. Clausen was making hundreds of mistakes and all of a sudden he has few good games, mainly against weak opponents and people fall in love with him?

I just think people fall in love way too quickly with a good game or two on this forum.

X-Era
10-17-2009, 08:38 PM
Of course it's solid, it's USC. I said the defense that lost like 7 starters from last year and they did lose something around that number. They played nobody really. Ohio State is very over rated and they lost to Washington. But i'm sure Clausen had a good game vs. a good defense. I don't think they are a legit 6th best though but they are talented.

My point about Clausen is this, it's silly to hype up a QB after a few good games and not based on a career. Most of the hype over Clausen comes from most media people being in love with Notre Dame. This season, he had a real speedy WR (Tate) and a WR compared to TO (Floyd), one of the top TE recruits in YEARS, a very good OL and a awesome RB in Allen. He has it all. However, it wasn't long before people wanted Clausen benched. It wasn't long where people were saying Daniel Crisp would take over real soon and Clausen would sit. Clausen was making hundreds of mistakes and all of a sudden he has few good games, mainly against weak opponents and people fall in love with him?

I just think people fall in love way too quickly with a good game or two on this forum.

Careful there.

I think you will find several of us will look at him straight up for what we see. I only give my opinion and you and everyone else is free to disregard it if you like. But I haven't paid any attention to the medias hype. Ive watched the games, and made comments on his play in those games. I'm not in love with him, I think he looks like he could have a shot to be a starter in the NFL at this point.

BuffaloBlitz83
10-17-2009, 09:00 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V9a_MHlO3xo&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V9a_MHlO3xo&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

X-Era
10-17-2009, 09:36 PM
<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V9a_MHlO3xo&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

Just threw a really nice TD on a bootleg.

Play makers make plays and here we go again with this guy doing just that.

Demon
10-17-2009, 11:44 PM
Careful there.

I think you will find several of us will look at him straight up for what we see. I only give my opinion and you and everyone else is free to disregard it if you like. But I haven't paid any attention to the medias hype. Ive watched the games, and made comments on his play in those games. I'm not in love with him, I think he looks like he could have a shot to be a starter in the NFL at this point.

I worded it wrong, i meant the national media is all about Clausen now hyping him and it's mainly due to him "winning" at Notre Dame. I honestly don't buy it. How can a guy who nobody thought would be anything in the NFL, let alone a first round pick his entire career at ND and much of this season turn into a top 5 prospect overall in just a matter of weeks? I honestly don't get it and think that's how we create busts.

As for the Bills, after massive failures to California QBs Johnson, Losman, and Edwards.... i'd bet my house and my dog that we don't draft another Cali QB.

Sorry i made it sound like you were just following the media's lead, i didn't mean that.

tampabay25690
10-18-2009, 04:10 PM
He is my top 3 QB's in the draft right now.
I still have Locker 1st

PECKERWOOD
10-19-2009, 01:44 PM
I'm going to really make an effort to see Locker play more, I haven't seen much of him, yet.

BuffaloBlitz83
10-19-2009, 02:15 PM
Locker has a huge game Saturday versus a top team in Oregon.

tampabay25690
10-19-2009, 06:34 PM
Yes he does should look good in the game...
But remember he plays on a fair WASHINGTON team you will have to see the way he handles the offense...I still luv the way this guy plays.

I still have him #1 QB taken in the draft

Oaf
10-19-2009, 06:59 PM
I know they are not comparable, and I might have a little bias, but from what I've seen last year and this year of Clausen with what I've seen this year of Forcier, I'd go with Forcier.

Raptor
10-19-2009, 09:10 PM
I know they are not comparable, and I might have a little bias, but from what I've seen last year and this year of Clausen with what I've seen this year of Forcier, I'd go with Forcier.

Forcier will be lucky to even be considered a QB on the next level. Its not even close as to who has the skill set to be good on the next level, its Clausen by a mile

DraftBoy
10-20-2009, 06:50 AM

We as fans need to be able seperate who is just a good college football QB and who is a good pro prospect QB.

Forcier runs a spread option offense, which is very simple to run and capitalizes on his athleticism. There are no drops, little to no timing, and he doesnt make adjustments or reads (similar to Tebow). That will only hurt him in the eyes of NFL scouts. He's got a good arm, good athleticism, but his game isn't going to develop a whole lot beyond that because of the system he plays in. Which is unfortunate but that's the way it is at some colleges.

Im not saying he won't be a successful NFL QB but Clausen is a better prospect by a long long way.