PDA

View Full Version : Sullivan rips Jauron with some stats that are sickening.

HHURRICANE
10-18-2009, 07:51 AM
Jauron is the most losing coach in NFL history since the merger with more than 135 games!!!!!!!!!

http://www.buffalonews.com/opinion/columns/jerrysullivan/story/831276.html

T-Long
10-18-2009, 08:07 AM
I wonder if he knows how bad he sucks...ya know?

jamze132
10-18-2009, 08:08 AM
Outstanding article.

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
10-18-2009, 08:28 AM
I like how he Sully says "That goes right to Jauron, the head coach, who couldn't motivate a sugar addict on Halloween." lmao thanks for the link HH

SquishDaFish
10-18-2009, 08:29 AM
Those stats should be on a billboard

don137
10-18-2009, 08:43 AM
The one thing people say about Jauron is he is a great teacher. Just because you are a fine teacher does not mean you will make a great head coach (as shown by his record). The guy should run a football camp not coach an NFL team.

Typ0
10-18-2009, 08:43 AM
He says some funny things but he's off base overall IMO. I don't like his attack on workaholics and DJ is absolutely right about players needing intrinsic motivation. That's true about everyone. If you've got to kick and scream to get people to work then it's time to find some new people because you're never going to be a high performing team. I'd say overall our players are motivated to play football. The defense has been doing their parts. The offensive line has been offensive at pass blocking and the quarterbacking has been horrific. No one is going to win with those things going on. Sanchez is still on the honeymoon but that's going to draw to a close soon enough. Let's see how he reacts when NFL defenses gather more evidence to prepare for him with and get in his face and head. Ryan is just going to look like a bigger idiot when tough times hit and his players are going to tune him out because he's a blow hard and everyone tunes that out. He won't last in New York.

Our players aren't non-challant like they are being made out to be. They take this losing personal. I can guarantee that defense is frustrated as all heck that our offense can't score points.

SABURZFAN
10-18-2009, 08:51 AM
58-80 for a .420 average would make him an outstanding hitter in baseball.

just trying to find something positive for this negative matter. i know... i know.... it didn't work. :ill:

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
10-18-2009, 09:02 AM

just trying to find something positive for this negative matter. i know... i know.... it didn't work. :ill:

lol

Ebenezer
10-18-2009, 09:03 AM
I always tell my students that I view my role as a professor as that of a coach. I deliver to them the material, teach them how to learn it and understand it and be able to discuss it with some smarts. I have taught some rather average students, who are more than willing and wanting to get better and learn, to get some some pretty decent grades.......for the semester that I am teaching them. I can talk them up the day of the test and "motivate" them but if they are ill prepared it doesn't matter what method of "motivation" I choose they won't do well. After that they have to step up and keep it going and there is no guarantee that they will understand other aspects of their education. In sports we have this belief that somebody can get in a player's grill and scream at them and they will perform. You have to have the teaching aspect before you can succeed at the screaming issue. If Ryan succeeds it is because his staff can teach not because he "motivates" on Sunday.

Ebenezer
10-18-2009, 09:03 AM

as a weather man he'd be king.

Canadian'eh!
10-18-2009, 10:12 AM
I always tell my students that I view my role as a professor as that of a coach. I deliver to them the material, teach them how to learn it and understand it and be able to discuss it with some smarts. I have taught some rather average students, who are more than willing and wanting to get better and learn, to get some some pretty decent grades.......for the semester that I am teaching them. I can talk them up the day of the test and "motivate" them but if they are ill prepared it doesn't matter what method of "motivation" I choose they won't do well. After that they have to step up and keep it going and there is no guarantee that they will understand other aspects of their education. In sports we have this belief that somebody can get in a player's grill and scream at them and they will perform. You have to have the teaching aspect before you can succeed at the screaming issue. If Ryan succeeds it is because his staff can teach not because he "motivates" on Sunday.

Eb. I feel as though you left out something here.

Do you have to get in their faces and yell and scream constantly? No. It gets tuned out when overused. But can that be affective as a kick in the ass when someone with potential is screwing up? absolutely.

But even more importantly. I've had many many teachers and professors over the years. Some give the info and teach them to use it as you stated. But the TRULY GREAT ones were the ones who inspired you to WANT to know it. TO WANT to excel. That made you look forward to learning what they had to teach you, and were passionate about teaching it to you. That passion is infectious. When the teacher is passionate about teaching and what they are doing, you become motivated to learn. You want to see what they are so interested in for yourself.

So yes. "coaching" is in large part, giving you the correct information, and showing you how to use it. But if you want to be great at it, you also have to make them WANT to learn it, and do that by being passionate enough about it for them to see that this is a great thing.

There will be some students that the message doesn't get through too no matter what you do, just as there are some players that can't be motivated to be the best they can be. In the NFL it's your job to weed those guys out. They are never gonna make it. THere will be some guys who are so self motivated they don't need it as well. But the ones in the middle are the ones you need to help to in both life and the NFL.

Dick ios incapable of doing that. I don't know if he's giving the right information or not. But I KNOW he's not inspiring anyone. I hope for your students sake you do. If not there is a lot of potential out there that you are letting slip away. Sometimes it only takes 1 professor to inspire that, and sadly there aren't a lot of them who do.

Typ0
10-18-2009, 10:20 AM
nice speech. not accurate though if someone doesn't walk through the door with the motivation to learn inside you aren't going to motivate them to learn no matter how much ass kicking you do or how passionate you are. Yes, if the teacher is passionate about what they are doing it does wear off and become infectious...but only with those who had intrinsic motivation to learn in the first place.

Eb. I feel as though you left out something here.

Do you have to get in their faces and yell and scream constantly? No. It gets tuned out when overused. But can that be affective as a kick in the ass when someone with potential is screwing up? absolutely.

But even more importantly. I've had many many teachers and professors over the years. Some give the info and teach them to use it as you stated. But the TRULY GREAT ones were the ones who inspired you to WANT to know it. TO WANT to excel. That made you look forward to learning what they had to teach you, and were passionate about teaching it to you. That passion is infectious. When the teacher is passionate about teaching and what they are doing, you become motivated to learn. You want to see what they are so interested in for yourself.

So yes. "coaching" is in large part, giving you the correct information, and showing you how to use it. But if you want to be great at it, you also have to make them WANT to learn it, and do that by being passionate enough about it for them to see that this is a great thing.

There will be some students that the message doesn't get through too no matter what you do, just as there are some players that can't be motivated to be the best they can be. In the NFL it's your job to weed those guys out. They are never gonna make it. THere will be some guys who are so self motivated they don't need it as well. But the ones in the middle are the ones you need to help to in both life and the NFL.

Dick ios incapable of doing that. I don't know if he's giving the right information or not. But I KNOW he's not inspiring anyone. I hope for your students sake you do. If not there is a lot of potential out there that you are letting slip away. Sometimes it only takes 1 professor to inspire that, and sadly there aren't a lot of them who do.

Canadian'eh!
10-18-2009, 10:25 AM
nice speech. not accurate though if someone doesn't walk through the door with the motivation to learn inside you aren't going to motivate them to learn no matter how much ass kicking you do or how passionate you are. Yes, if the teacher is passionate about what they are doing it does wear off and become infectious...but only with those who had intrinsic motivation to learn in the first place.
You're half right.

There are some who will walk in and no matter what you do, you're never getting through to them. They just don't care, and they never will.

There are those that walk an and give 110% no mater what. They are the self-motivated going to overachieve no matter what types.

But there is a larger than you'd think demographic that are capable of much more, but are not able to give themselves the push they need. They are the group that CAN and WILL be inspired to do better, if they are given the right leadership. This is the biggest group of the 3.

That's why the great leaders throughout history, are those who had the ability to inspire others. Even more so than those with the most information. Though those who had both went the farthest.

YardRat
10-18-2009, 10:38 AM
The Halloween comment has to be one of the stupidest analogies I've ever read.

Typ0
10-18-2009, 10:38 AM
You're right but the wrong target. The leadership needed comes from the family unit not the teacher. I can lead and guide. In some cases I can provide motivation. Mostly it comes from the approach and values learned in the home though. Sorry, I'm a school teacher and I see it every day and feel powerless over a lot of things and am scarred for some of my kids because they aren't getting what they need to grow and mature and there is nothing I am going to do about it. I work hard to be the magician you are fantasizing about because that's what I have to do so I can sleep at night knowing I did the best I can...but the reality is it's not going to work with someone who doesn't come to the table with the motivation.

You're half right.

There are some who will walk in and no matter what you do, you're never getting through to them. They just don't care, and they never will.

There are those that walk an and give 110% no mater what. They are the self-motivated going to overachieve no matter what types.

But there is a larger than you'd think demographic that are capable of much more, but are not able to give themselves the push they need. They are the group that CAN and WILL be inspired to do better, if they are given the right leadership. This is the biggest group of the 3.

That's why the great leaders throughout history, are those who had the ability to inspire others. Even more so than those with the most information. Though those who had both went the farthest.

Ebenezer
10-18-2009, 11:06 AM
"I've destroyed more careers than I'll ever create". If you can't accept that mantra then you can't teach. They got to want to be there and learn. I can't make them do that on an everyday basis.

mybills
10-18-2009, 11:11 AM
My handicap students are more motivated to learn, than Jauron is to winning.

bigbub2352
10-18-2009, 11:33 AM
what kind of team does due dillagance on a coach and hires them with those stats
What a Joke!

Typ0
10-18-2009, 11:36 AM
My handicap students are more motivated to learn, than Jauron is to winning.

everyone wants to do well. It's things that happen in the family that get in the way.

Canadian'eh!
10-18-2009, 11:46 AM
Typo.. I'm not someone who thinks teachers should be doing it all by any means. I'm fully aware that the home side of things is far more important. Which is why there are a ton of lost causes. I know it's a team effort, with the home part being the biggest one.

But my thing is that you have to inspire those you can.

In terms of sports (or kids who are IN university and not the forced High School kids) you're talking about people who already have proven enough to get there. you've weeded out most of the ones who never had an interest. You're dealing with those with a ton of potential and at least some sense of determination. Which is why that extra push becomes important.

And it's not yelling ad screaming all the time either. It's passion. A kick in the ass sometimes has it's place... but mostly it's just showing heart sot hat it can become infectious.

Borosai
10-18-2009, 11:50 AM
So... does this mean he's getting another 3-year extension?

Typ0
10-18-2009, 12:01 PM
I've haven't met a lot of teachers who feel they have a lot of impact on motivation unless it's negative. By that, I mean we can do things that kill motivation but it's still motivation that was there. People are naturally motivated. We try to motivate but know it doesn't really factor in outside of riding the wave of motivation that's there via students drive for success. Like you say, people in college are motivated that's why they were there....if they weren't motivated they wouldn't even go through the application process. In college I've experienced really good teachers and really bad teachers...I've seen brilliant applied people who couldn't teach anything and I've seen people who can do both. While teachers have to be good leaders it's exploitation of motivation that's there that makes them good leaders. We'd love the ability to motivate we try really hard at that goal. If we were successful our jobs would be so much easier. I'm sure EB knows what I'm talking about he's a PHD he didn't do that work because some great teacher motivated him.

Ebenezer
10-18-2009, 02:24 PM
I've haven't met a lot of teachers who feel they have a lot of impact on motivation unless it's negative.

Today, the negative is fear of failing...this is not a day in age where teachers get in students faces and yell. They do not use long-term negative reinforcement. Either that or my kids are in a district where it doesn't exist.

People are naturally motivated.

I can't agree with that. If you are saying that in being human we are motivated; that may be. If you are saying that everybody is motivated then we disagree. Whether it exists or has been driven out of them I have met a fair share that are not motivated at all.

I've seen brilliant applied people who couldn't teach anything and I've seen people who can do both. While teachers have to be good leaders it's exploitation of motivation that's there that makes them good leaders.

This is true. Just because you can do doesn't mean you can teach. That is why many players are terrible coaches or never become coaches at all.

While teachers have to be good leaders it's exploitation of motivation that's there that makes them good leaders. We'd love the ability to motivate we try really hard at that goal. If we were successful our jobs would be so much easier.

I wouldn't use the word exploitation but I know where you are coming from. Encouraging and "tapping" are better terms. And what you say is so true. It would be so much easier for us if everybody was driven to succeed.

I'm sure EB knows what I'm talking about he's a PHD he didn't do that work because some great teacher motivated him.

I don't know of one person who has a Ph.D. that doesn't have a huge amount of internal motivation. But take it out of the realm of degree because that isn't fair to the people who don't have a college degree. There are a lot of people who are very successful who don't have degrees; they have/had motivation. The lazy never get far unless they are good actors or liars.

Typ0
10-18-2009, 03:40 PM
I wasn't talking about negative reinforcement I was talking about killing motivation by basically being disorganized and not giving good directions and things like that. It's pretty easy to get a good motivated person unmotivated as a student.

On the other point, people are motivated towards success naturally. it's other things that get in the way.

Today, the negative is fear of failing...this is not a day in age where teachers get in students faces and yell. They do not use long-term negative reinforcement. Either that or my kids are in a district where it doesn't exist.

I can't agree with that. If you are saying that in being human we are motivated; that may be. If you are saying that everybody is motivated then we disagree. Whether it exists or has been driven out of them I have met a fair share that are not motivated at all.

This is true. Just because you can do doesn't mean you can teach. That is why many players are terrible coaches or never become coaches at all.

I wouldn't use the word exploitation but I know where you are coming from. Encouraging and "tapping" are better terms. And what you say is so true. It would be so much easier for us if everybody was driven to succeed.

I don't know of one person who has a Ph.D. that doesn't have a huge amount of internal motivation. But take it out of the realm of degree because that isn't fair to the people who don't have a college degree. There are a lot of people who are very successful who don't have degrees; they have/had motivation. The lazy never get far unless they are good actors or liars.

Ebenezer
10-18-2009, 03:43 PM
I wasn't talking about negative reinforcement I was talking about killing motivation by basically being disorganized and not giving good directions and things like that. It's pretty easy to get a good motivated person unmotivated as a student.

I agree with that.

Typ0
10-18-2009, 06:29 PM
so much for all the in your face motivational crap. The JESTS look horrible today...at least their QB does.