PDA

View Full Version : Tailgating to the extreme

Dr. Lecter
10-18-2009, 09:36 AM
Steve Shepherd started his liquid diet for the Buffalo Bills-Cleveland Browns game long before the opening kickoff last Sunday.

After boarding a tour bus in London, Ont., at 7:30 a.m., the 54-year-old London resident said he began downing mixed drinks of rye and Coke.
It was 5½ hours before kickoff.

During the three-hour ride, Clovis Lamirande, the bus driver and a retired police officer, said he warned Shepherd to ease off on the drinking, but Shepherd refused.
At about 2 p.m., Shepherd stumbled back from the stadium to the bus parking lot, after being refused admittance because of his intoxication.

"They wouldn't let me in. I wasn't thrilled, but I can't blame them. I'm drunk," Shepherd said sheepishly, his face scratched and cut from falling down. "I think somebody pushed me down."

Welcome to Buffalo's nationally recognized tailgating scene.

Hours before kickoff last Sunday, tailgating was in full swing in the parking lots outside Ralph Wilson Stadium, featuring plenty of eating and drinking -- actually, more drinking than eating.

Attracting out-of-town fans from Southern Ontario and throughout New York State is part of the Bills' strategy to regionalize their market. That's been a huge success, helping the Bills sell 55,194 season tickets, even after nine straight years out of the playoffs.

But tailgating comes with a price.

Tailgaters drink beer out of "beer funnels," down "bowling ball shots" and dine on a breakfast menu dubbed "kegs and eggs." They engage in drinking games that make the parking lots, filled with discarded beer bottles and smashed beer cans, look like Sunday morning outside a fraternity house.

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/830936.html

How embarrassing.

THATHURMANATOR
10-18-2009, 09:44 AM
Embarrassing? Who gives a ****? Yeah we should all come to the game right from church....

DMBcrew36
10-18-2009, 09:44 AM
Yeah, I mean, it is what it is. I think we've discussed it before (being that it isn't a new issue), that it's just become accepted and popularized to drink to the max before games. Personally, and I think others would agree, that the problem might not be so severe if this team weren't so terrible. I think that might have something to do with it getting this bad; to it getting this out of hand, with people thinking its mandatory to get bombed. But now it's ingrained in Bills culture and there's really no way to stop it. All you can do is just set up DWI check-points - being that DWIs should be the major concern here - and to make sure you have enough sheriffs and sheriff deputys monitoring and policing the stadium and its surrounding area before, during and after the games.

I often would have 6-8 beers when going to a game. I'm starting to realize I enjoy the game more when I have less, when I'm coherent enough to see the plays clearly and notice the little things that are going on during a play, during the game.

THATHURMANATOR
10-18-2009, 09:48 AM
Yeah, I mean, it is what it is. I think we've discussed it before (being that it isn't a new issue), that it's just become accepted and popularized to drink to the max before games. Personally, and I think others would agree, that the problem might not be so severe if this team weren't so terrible. I think that might have something to do with it getting this bad; to it getting this out of hand, with people thinking its mandatory to get bombed. But now it's ingrained in Bills culture and there's really no way to stop it. All you can do is just set up DWI check-points - being that DWIs should be the major concern here - and to make sure you have enough sheriffs and sheriff deputys monitoring and policing the stadium and its surrounding area before, during and after the games.

I often would have 6-8 beers when going to a game. I'm starting to realize I enjoy the game more when I have less, when I'm coherent enough to see the plays clearly and notice the little things that are going on during a play, during the game.
You are right on man. If they were better the boozing wouldn't be as bad. I know I have cut down a lot either way as you are correct about wanting to fully appreciate the game. That being said I think my intake willl be up in 2 weeks....

DMBcrew36
10-18-2009, 09:51 AM
Embarrassing? Who gives a ****? Yeah we should all come to the game right from church....

I agree with you to a point - most of us know how to handle ourselves. But unfortunately, there are a serious number of people who don't know their limit, causing serious incidences like the hit-and-run last Sunday. People driving after drinking all day is my concern and it should be the major concern here.

THATHURMANATOR
10-18-2009, 09:58 AM
I agree with you to a point - most of us know how to handle ourselves. But unfortunately, there are a serious number of people who don't know their limit, causing serious incidences like the hit-and-run last Sunday. People driving after drinking all day is my concern and it should be the major concern here.
The same thing happens at almost every stadium EVERY week. Unless you completely ban tailgaiting there is nothing to be done or concerned about..

MikeInRoch
10-18-2009, 09:59 AM
I'm in favor of having breathalyzer tests required before you can be admitted to the game - and definitely before they let you drive away.

MikeInRoch
10-18-2009, 10:01 AM

Yes, embarrassing. Having the reputation of everyone getting bombed before every game makes us look like a bunch of a*******s. Have a few beers is one thing - getting fall down drunk every home game is something entirely different.

DMBcrew36
10-18-2009, 10:01 AM
I'm in favor of having breathalyzer tests required before you can be admitted to the game - and definitely before they let you drive away.

If there were a way to do that without it taking 100 years to get out of the stadium, I would agree. I think random checkpoints around the streets surrounding the stadium would suffice.

THATHURMANATOR
10-18-2009, 10:07 AM
That isn't realistic. It would take 3 hours to get into the game....

THATHURMANATOR
10-18-2009, 10:10 AM
Yes, embarrassing. Having the reputation of everyone getting bombed before every game makes us look like a bunch of a*******s. Have a few beers is one thing - getting fall down drunk every home game is something entirely different.
I don't think the percentage of fall down drunks is as high as they make it out to be... 1-2% of the people maybe? Some people are pussies and can't handle there booze why ruin everyone else's fun?

DMBcrew36
10-18-2009, 10:10 AM
That isn't realistic. It would take 3 hours to get into the game....

If they spread the DWI checkpoints out, so you weren't bottle-necking the lots at their single exit, it would speed things up.

THATHURMANATOR
10-18-2009, 10:11 AM
If there were a way to do that without it taking 100 years to get out of the stadium, I would agree. I think random checkpoints around the streets surrounding the stadium would suffice.
Bingo! It is just an unrealistic idea. Just as anything most people will make the right decision to not drive drunk and a small amount of people will not.

Typ0
10-18-2009, 10:12 AM
Do you guys know how much moula the stadium makes off beer sales? How much are they selling a cup of beer for these days that costs them .10 cents to put out?

THATHURMANATOR
If they spread the DWI checkpoints out, so you weren't bottle-necking the lots at their single exit, it would speed things up.
They already do this don't they? You can't issue automatic Breathalizers is what I am saying. It would take FOREVER. If he wants this why not make breathalizers standard on all cars.

DMBcrew36
I don't think the percentage of fall down drunks is as high as they make it out to be... 1-2% of the people maybe? Some people are pussies and can't handle there booze why ruin everyone else's fun?

They can't handle their booze, don't know their limit, or just don't care. I think often people just get so wrapped up in the excitement of tailgating with friends in a big-time party atmosphere that they aren't monitoring how much they've had to drink.

DMBcrew36
10-18-2009, 10:14 AM
They already do this don't they? You can't issue automatic Breathalizers is what I am saying. It would take FOREVER. If he wants this why not make breathalizers standard on all cars.

I know a guy who had to breathe into his car for it to start because he had so many DWIs. He was pretty embarrassed about it.

Typ0
10-18-2009, 10:14 AM
If I was spending my hard earned money to go out there these days you can bet I'd need a few extra beers just so I didn't puke during the game.

Michael82
10-18-2009, 10:15 AM
Do you guys know how much moula the stadium makes off beer sales? How much are they selling a cup of beer for these days that costs them .10 cents to put out?
It says in the article and there's a funny quote about it too....

And the Bills sell a few hundred thousand dollars worth of beer at each game.

As one Bills official said a few years ago, "We thought about [eliminating beer sales] for about 10 seconds. We're not going to punish all the people who enjoy a beer responsibly because of the actions of a few people."

Michael82
10-18-2009, 10:16 AM
If I was spending my hard earned money to go out there these days you can bet I'd need a few extra beers just so I didn't puke during the game.
That's fine...as long as you don't pour it on your head again. :gag:

DMBcrew36
10-18-2009, 10:17 AM
It says in the article and there's a funny quote about it too....

Cost-benefit analysis says they'd be insane not to sell beer at the games. It would be insane for them not to for their bottom line, and for the people who drink responsibly.

And I don't think the 'in-game' drinking is the issue, anyways. It's the pre-game festivities that are the big issue. You get people who drive in and tailgate who don't even have tickets and have no intentions of going to the game - they're just there to get drunk with their friends and party.

THATHURMANATOR
10-18-2009, 10:20 AM
It is INSANE!!!! I bought 2 9 dollar Budweisers last game, which tasted like vomit. No more beer in the games it is a waste.

Typ0
10-18-2009, 10:22 AM
That's fine...as long as you don't pour it on your head again. :gag:

People have a right to pour beer over their heads when they are excited. They don't have a right to pour it over other peoples heads though.

Michael82
10-18-2009, 10:23 AM
People have a right to pour beer over their heads when they are excited. They don't have a right to pour it over other peoples heads though.
:rofl: You gotta admit...that was nuts. Especially because as you pour it all over your head, it spills on the people surrounding you.

YardRat
10-18-2009, 10:32 AM
Maybe if beer wasn't so expensive inside the stadium, *******'s wouldn't be compelled to bring their own and consume as much as they can before going in.

If you want to get hammered and watch the game, stay home...it'd be better for everybody.

don137
10-18-2009, 11:31 AM
People just need to be responsible when they drink. I have no problem with bowling ball shots or funnels if it is done in moderation and you are not a stumpling obnoxnious idiot inside the game. For many having a few drinks is part of the whole game day experience but if done in moderation than the experience is better for everyone. Drinking to a stupor just does not make sense.

Typ0
10-18-2009, 11:37 AM
I find it very difficult to associate a funnel with any form of moderation.

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
10-18-2009, 11:42 AM
Question

Are you a happy drunk or a mean drunk?

I'm a happy drunk.

DMBcrew36
10-18-2009, 11:46 AM
Maybe if beer wasn't so expensive inside the stadium, *******'s wouldn't be compelled to bring their own and consume as much as they can before going in.

If you want to get hammered and watch the game, stay home...it'd be better for everybody.

I think you have a great point here, but it may be a double-edged sword. People are in the lots til the last possible second, often rolling in 5-10 minutes late because they want to get that last beer/drink so they don't have to buy as many, or any at all during the game. Make beers cheaper and people might not binge for that last beer in the lot. But make beers cheaper, and those people may consume even more during the game.

Dr. Lecter
10-18-2009, 12:20 PM

Nobody said that Thurm

There is a big difference between having some fun before the game and getting so hammered you can't walk. Or puking. Or be coherent. One does not have to act like you are at a frat party in Animal house before the game.

People can grow the hell up and not act like *******s. Bills fans are horribly behaved. I was embarrassed when we went to Cleveland. Nobody would use a garbage can. People swore and screamed at Browns fans. People threw stuff at Browns fans.

One can have fun without getting blackout drunk.

JD
10-18-2009, 12:23 PM
It is my understanding that the 19 year old they mention... was dealing drugs in the parking lot and tried to flee.. I'm not sure how Buffalo Bills tailgating relates to him? Leave it to the Buffalo News to continuously downgrade its own city and its people.

DynaPaul
10-18-2009, 12:23 PM
From my experiences at the games I don't think the problem is as rampant as this article makes it out to be. You can go to other stadiums in bigger cities and see more people behaving worse.

JD
10-18-2009, 12:28 PM
Excessive drinking? I don't know what they're talking about.. we just like octobongs

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs221.snc1/6817_682097055028_15720830_39389298_6855749_n.jpg

Chris Fausner of Huntington, Long Island, said he loves coming to the games with his 13- year-old daughter, Alli.

"It's all part of the show. I've gone to games in the Meadowlands, Veterans Stadium in Philadelphia and at Foxboro and there's no place like here," Fausner said. "My daughter knows there's crazy people in the world, people who go over the top."

Browns fan John Wages of Akron, Ohio, and several friends were parked near the buses and remained there throughout the game with no intention of entering the stadium. They, in fact, drove to Orchard Park without game tickets.

"We're here for the festivities," Wages said, sipping a beer. "They won't let you tailgate like this in Cleveland."

/thread

SABuffalo786
10-18-2009, 12:54 PM
Nobody said that Thurm

There is a big difference between having some fun before the game and getting so hammered you can't walk. Or puking. Or be coherent. One does not have to act like you are at a frat party in Animal house before the game.

People can grow the hell up and not act like *******s. Bills fans are horribly behaved. I was embarrassed when we went to Cleveland. Nobody would use a garbage can. People swore and screamed at Browns fans. People threw stuff at Browns fans.

I wish there was still a groan option on this site.

73,000 people every other week. 100 get tossed and MAYBE 20 get arrested.

100 out of 73,000. .00137%

Stop buying into the self hatred bull**** the Snooze CONSTANTLY harps on. The only thing more played out than the "Bills fans are savages" is the "3rd poorest big city in America" line literally every other article beats into the ground. They are ****ing shameless and should be ASHAMED of themselves.

I'm sick and tired of Bills fans throwing each other under the bus. This is what they want us to do; turn against each other. STOP PLAYING INTO THEIR HANDS.

Dr. Lecter
10-18-2009, 01:08 PM
I wish there was still a groan option on this site.

73,000 people every other week. 100 get tossed and MAYBE 20 get arrested.

100 out of 73,000. .00137%

Stop buying into the self hatred bull**** the Snooze CONSTANTLY harps on. The only thing more played out than the "Bills fans are savages" is the "3rd poorest big city in America" line literally every other article beats into the ground. They are ****ing shameless and should be ASHAMED of themselves.

I'm sick and tired of Bills fans throwing each other under the bus. This is what they want us to do; turn against each other. STOP PLAYING INTO THEIR HANDS.

On noes! Not a groan!!! That would have been devastating!!!

FWIW, I am not buying into the **** in the News. I am relaying what I see with my own two eyes every Sunday I go the games. And yes, I go every week.

There are many more people at the game that probably should be tossed. Or that make the game an even more miserable experience than the Bills horrible play alone make it. People that spill there drinks allover the place. People that have to used the can 3 times a half. People that talk like they are in a room of drunken sailors, whether or not there are women of kids around them .

Sadly, those people even sit with me sometimes.

Maybe the blame should fall on the shoulders of those who can't act like adults and not those that point it out.

DMBcrew36
10-18-2009, 01:18 PM

FWIW, I am not buying into the **** in the News. I am relaying what I see with my own two eyes every Sunday I go the games. And yes, I go every week.

There are many more people at the game that probably should be tossed. Or that make the game an even more miserable experience than the Bills horrible play alone make it. People that spill there drinks allover the place. People that have to used the can 3 times a half. People that talk like they are in a room of drunken sailors, whether or not there are women of kids around them

Sadly, those people even sit with me sometimes.

Maybe the blame should fall on the shoulders of those who can't act like adults and not those that point it out.

I'm with you there. The only people they catch are those that are visibly acting or speaking out, being belligerent, obnoxious or unable to function. There are tons of people who are intoxicated who don't make it obvious at the gate (where they're most likely to get tossed), or during most of the game. It's when the game is over that I'm mostly concerned. If they breathalized every single person who was driving after the game, you'd find a very disturbing % of people who blew over .08.

SABURZFAN
10-18-2009, 01:22 PM

groan

DraftBoy
10-18-2009, 02:02 PM
IMO, if you get tossed from a two games for being too liquored up you should have your ticket privileges pulled for the year.

Tailgating is pretty bad down in places like Athens due to the college atmosphere down here but nothing compares to the things that are mentioned in that article or the stories Ive heard from posters here.

People need to grow up.

Ebenezer
10-18-2009, 02:46 PM
Nobody said that Thurm

and we sure weren't treated that way in Cleveland.

Ebenezer
10-18-2009, 02:47 PM
It is my understanding that the 19 year old they mention... was dealing drugs in the parking lot and tried to flee.. I'm not sure how Buffalo Bills tailgating relates to him? Leave it to the Buffalo News to continuously downgrade its own city and its people.
why because they do their job and report the news? who is the embarrassment? The news or the ass?

Ebenezer
10-18-2009, 02:51 PM
There are many more people at the game that probably should be tossed. Or that make the game an even more miserable experience than the Bills horrible play alone make it. People that spill there drinks allover the place. People that have to used the can 3 times a half. People that talk like they are in a room of drunken sailors, whether or not there are women of kids around them .

That is county land. If those people were to act like that on other county land they would be arrested and treated much more differently. I know the country can't arrest everybody but if they did folks would start acting differently. They know they can get blasted with no repercussions. There may only be 20 arrests but that is because the cops ignore A LOT! I'd bet you could easily arrest 2,500 drunks.

trapezeus
10-18-2009, 02:51 PM
This is a stupid debate. You don't do anything else in your life to drink to the point where you aren't allowed admittance.

Drink. Fine, no one is asking that you come from church as thurm said. Drink, get buzzed and be civil. must we have these overhyped up frat boys drinking to the point where they can not walk straight, can't control their mouth and then want to start a fight every 20 seconds.

Part of the problem is the bills put out such a **** product that sober peole are annoyed out of their mind, but these alcoholics get even more enraged and do even dumber things.

but take care of yourself. don't be a jackass. and right now the ralph seems to be a place where people are beligerent and want to prove they can be the biggest possible *******.

DraftBoy
10-18-2009, 02:53 PM
I refuse to accept the fact that the Bills playing poorly gives reason for people to be drunken dip****s. Sorry that's crap.

Ebenezer
10-18-2009, 03:09 PM
I refuse to accept the fact that the Bills playing poorly gives reason for people to be drunken dip****s. Sorry that's crap.
people were drunk during the glory days....but winning takes the edge off...most people i know are not happy drunks - that may be a buffalo thing but i don't know...

trapezeus
10-18-2009, 03:14 PM
it's not ok that the bills suck and people act like jackasses. but i'm saying it happens. if the bills were winning, you'd have a lot more jovial drunks who simply don't want to miss a play.

but these idiots watch a passionless team, and then have opposing fans egging them on.

it's not right, but that's one of the reasons it happens.