• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

Tailgating to the extreme

Steve Shepherd started his liquid diet for the Buffalo Bills-Cleveland Browns game long before the opening kickoff last Sunday.

After boarding a tour bus in London, Ont., at 7:30 a.m., the 54-year-old London resident said he began downing mixed drinks of rye and Coke.
    It was 5½ hours before kickoff.

During the three-hour ride, Clovis Lamirande, the bus driver and a retired police officer, said he warned Shepherd to ease off on the drinking, but Shepherd refused.
    At about 2 p.m., Shepherd stumbled back from the stadium to the bus parking lot, after being refused admittance because of his intoxication.

"They wouldn't let me in. I wasn't thrilled, but I can't blame them. I'm drunk," Shepherd said sheepishly, his face scratched and cut from falling down. "I think somebody pushed me down."

Welcome to Buffalo's nationally recognized tailgating scene.

Hours before kickoff last Sunday, tailgating was in full swing in the parking lots outside Ralph Wilson Stadium, featuring plenty of eating and drinking -- actually, more drinking than eating.

Attracting out-of-town fans from Southern Ontario and throughout New York State is part of the Bills' strategy to regionalize their market. That's been a huge success, helping the Bills sell 55,194 season tickets, even after nine straight years out of the playoffs.

But tailgating comes with a price.

Tailgaters drink beer out of "beer funnels," down "bowling ball shots" and dine on a breakfast menu dubbed "kegs and eggs." They engage in drinking games that make the parking lots, filled with discarded beer bottles and smashed beer cans, look like Sunday morning outside a fraternity house.

How embarrassing.
    Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.
  • THATHURMANATOR
    • Jul 2002

Re: Tailgating to the extreme

Embarrassing? Who gives a ****? Yeah we should all come to the game right from church....

Comment

• DMBcrew36
      • Feb 2005

Yeah, I mean, it is what it is. I think we've discussed it before (being that it isn't a new issue), that it's just become accepted and popularized to drink to the max before games. Personally, and I think others would agree, that the problem might not be so severe if this team weren't so terrible. I think that might have something to do with it getting this bad; to it getting this out of hand, with people thinking its mandatory to get bombed. But now it's ingrained in Bills culture and there's really no way to stop it. All you can do is just set up DWI check-points - being that DWIs should be the major concern here - and to make sure you have enough sheriffs and sheriff deputys monitoring and policing the stadium and its surrounding area before, during and after the games.

I often would have 6-8 beers when going to a game. I'm starting to realize I enjoy the game more when I have less, when I'm coherent enough to see the plays clearly and notice the little things that are going on during a play, during the game.
      Last edited by DMBcrew36; 10-18-2009, 09:46 AM.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DMBcrew36
        Yeah, I mean, it is what it is. I think we've discussed it before (being that it isn't a new issue), that it's just become accepted and popularized to drink to the max before games. Personally, and I think others would agree, that the problem might not be so severe if this team weren't so terrible. I think that might have something to do with it getting this bad; to it getting this out of hand, with people thinking its mandatory to get bombed. But now it's ingrained in Bills culture and there's really no way to stop it. All you can do is just set up DWI check-points - being that DWIs should be the major concern here - and to make sure you have enough sheriffs and sheriff deputys monitoring and policing the stadium and its surrounding area before, during and after the games.

I often would have 6-8 beers when going to a game. I'm starting to realize I enjoy the game more when I have less, when I'm coherent enough to see the plays clearly and notice the little things that are going on during a play, during the game.
        You are right on man. If they were better the boozing wouldn't be as bad. I know I have cut down a lot either way as you are correct about wanting to fully appreciate the game. That being said I think my intake willl be up in 2 weeks....

Comment

• DMBcrew36
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
          Embarrassing? Who gives a ****? Yeah we should all come to the game right from church....
          I agree with you to a point - most of us know how to handle ourselves. But unfortunately, there are a serious number of people who don't know their limit, causing serious incidences like the hit-and-run last Sunday. People driving after drinking all day is my concern and it should be the major concern here.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
            • Jul 2002

I agree with you to a point - most of us know how to handle ourselves. But unfortunately, there are a serious number of people who don't know their limit, causing serious incidences like the hit-and-run last Sunday. People driving after drinking all day is my concern and it should be the major concern here.
            The same thing happens at almost every stadium EVERY week. Unless you completely ban tailgaiting there is nothing to be done or concerned about..

Comment

• MikeInRoch
              • Sep 2003

I'm in favor of having breathalyzer tests required before you can be admitted to the game - and definitely before they let you drive away.
              "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• MikeInRoch
                • Sep 2003

Yes, embarrassing. Having the reputation of everyone getting bombed before every game makes us look like a bunch of a*******s. Have a few beers is one thing - getting fall down drunk every home game is something entirely different.
                "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• DMBcrew36
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by MikeInRoch
                  I'm in favor of having breathalyzer tests required before you can be admitted to the game - and definitely before they let you drive away.
                  If there were a way to do that without it taking 100 years to get out of the stadium, I would agree. I think random checkpoints around the streets surrounding the stadium would suffice.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                    • Jul 2002

That isn't realistic. It would take 3 hours to get into the game....

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                      • Jul 2002

Yes, embarrassing. Having the reputation of everyone getting bombed before every game makes us look like a bunch of a*******s. Have a few beers is one thing - getting fall down drunk every home game is something entirely different.
                      I don't think the percentage of fall down drunks is as high as they make it out to be... 1-2% of the people maybe? Some people are pussies and can't handle there booze why ruin everyone else's fun?

Comment

• DMBcrew36
                        • Feb 2005

That isn't realistic. It would take 3 hours to get into the game....
                        If they spread the DWI checkpoints out, so you weren't bottle-necking the lots at their single exit, it would speed things up.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                          • Jul 2002

If there were a way to do that without it taking 100 years to get out of the stadium, I would agree. I think random checkpoints around the streets surrounding the stadium would suffice.
                          Bingo! It is just an unrealistic idea. Just as anything most people will make the right decision to not drive drunk and a small amount of people will not.

Comment

• Typ0
                            honey pie
                            • Jul 2002

Do you guys know how much moula the stadium makes off beer sales? How much are they selling a cup of beer for these days that costs them .10 cents to put out?

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                              • Jul 2002

If they spread the DWI checkpoints out, so you weren't bottle-necking the lots at their single exit, it would speed things up.
                              They already do this don't they? You can't issue automatic Breathalizers is what I am saying. It would take FOREVER. If he wants this why not make breathalizers standard on all cars.

Comment

Working...
                              X