PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about Greer's exit from Buffalo

NorthCarBills
10-18-2009, 12:55 PM
Watching some of this Giants/Saints game. Greer had a phenomenal block on a big pass from Manning to Manningham. The announcers were praising him quite a bit. I loved him in Buffalo, so here's my question.

Why did we let him go again? If memory serves, his contract in NO was not anything that would blow you away.

Just another botch by the FO? I still think McGee and Greer could have a been a great tandom for a long time.

DynaPaul
10-18-2009, 12:58 PM
Another botch. I wanted to keep him too. He made a good impact when he was in the starting lineup for us. Now he's making the best of his talent somewhere else and more power to him. Hey, at least we kept the Saints to only 17 points.

TigerJ
10-18-2009, 01:20 PM
I don't disagree that the Bills should have kept Greer, but they did know that they had Leodis McKelvin coming back as a second year player, and he had already been installed in the minds of the Bills staff as the starter across from McGee. The Bills could not have known McKelvin would disappoint this year when he did play, and would then go down to a season ending injury.

YardRat
10-18-2009, 02:04 PM
Greer was (is) a player...period.

Just another fubar by the front office.

Buddo
10-18-2009, 02:10 PM
The Bills actually made several decent offers to Greer, I believe. I'm not so sure he didn't sign for the saints for about the same as the Bills had offered him.
There was also a guy who posts on bb.com mb, who apparently knew Greer personally, to the extent that he was saying, that Greer himself wanted a change of scenery, a 'pastures new' scenario (there were other posters who could confirm that this guy did in fact know Greer).
I honestly don't think the Bills can be blamed on this one at all.

NorthCarBills
10-18-2009, 02:14 PM
Thanks guys. Too bad for the Bills, good for Greer.

Speak of the devil, he just got a nice pick off of Manning.

Buddo
10-18-2009, 02:25 PM
Thanks guys. Too bad for the Bills, good for Greer.

Speak of the devil, he just got a nice pick off of Manning.

Yeah, I just saw that too.

For all the Bills can be roundly hammered for lots of things, Greer not re-signing isn't one of them.

trapezeus
10-18-2009, 02:44 PM
because the coaches can not tell talent where it exists.

first they had him as a nickel back, then moved him to starting position, then decided they could live without him...yet somehow youboty stays on the roster, year in year out and he doesn't stay healthy.

Atrain over Fred Jackson
Ko Simpson over Jim Leonard
ellison or any of the other underachieving LB's over haggan, crowell, etc.
JP as an adequate backup.

then you have the drafts. 2006 was ugly, 2007 found some talent in lynch poz and edwards, but none of them are living up to any of their hype, 2008 looks pretty bad right now as corner is the only one on the field.

You can look at the bills over the last 10 years in a number of ways, but you can never sugar coat it...and that's why we are staring at another losing season.

NorthCarBills
10-18-2009, 02:48 PM
because the coaches can not tell talent where it exists.

first they had him as a nickel back, then moved him to starting position, then decided they could live without him...yet somehow youboty stays on the roster, year in year out and he doesn't stay healthy.

Atrain over Fred Jackson
Ko Simpson over Jim Leonard
ellison or any of the other underachieving LB's over haggan, crowell, etc.
JP as an adequate backup.

then you have the drafts. 2006 was ugly, 2007 found some talent in lynch poz and edwards, but none of them are living up to any of their hype, 2008 looks pretty bad right now as corner is the only one on the field.

You can look at the bills over the last 10 years in a number of ways, but you can never sugar coat it...and that's why we are staring at another losing season.

Ugh...this last decade's draft history opens another putrid can of worms entirely. Let's not. LOL