PDA

View Full Version : What the heck was Rex Ryan thinking?

Coach Sal
10-18-2009, 11:06 PM
It's unbelievable to even say this, but Dick Jauron out-coached someone today.

It wasn't because Jauron did anything special, either. No, he was in his usual "play not to win" routine, and his team reflected it.

It's because Rex Ryan had one of the most ridiculous gameplans I've ever seen.

During the very first drive of the game, I turned to my wife and said, "oh my God! Lee Evans is going to make a big difference today if this is what they're going to do."

Ryan elected to match up his All-World CB, Darrelle Revis with our very average, lost-a-step WR Terrell Owens, instead of Evans, who Revis has always matched-up with and usually done a good job against.

Now, all that would be fine, if they had doubled Lee with a safety. But they didn't do that, either.

I mean, why in the world would anyone choose to put their best CB on Owens instead of Evans at this point? Does Ryan not watch film? Owens has been single covered in several games this year (by CBs no where near as god as Revis, by the way) and, other than a big TD against Tampa, hasn't done squat.

And although Evans hasn't done anything so far this year, either, he's certainly more dangerous than T.O. 1-on-1 at this point.

Lee's TD was a direct result of 1-on-1 by a CB who had no safety help and backed off him because he was afraid of getting beat deep.

I guarantee you when these teams play again, Revis will be on Evans. And if he's not, Rex is either too stupid or too stubborn and the same thing will happen when they play ON A FAST TRACK IN A DOME!!

In the meantime, Thanks, Rex Ryan! And Congratulations! You just made Dick Jauron look like a better coach than you! That's hard to do!

Griff
10-18-2009, 11:22 PM
this is what happens when two defensive coordinators think they are head coaches.

Syderick
10-18-2009, 11:38 PM
I guess they figured T.O was the more dangerous threat. It's nice to have to good wideouts on the field.

dplus47
10-19-2009, 12:39 AM
love the thread title! that question will be asked many, many times while he is the head coach of the jets, no matter how short that tenure may be.

revis was all over owens, as well. grabbing and pulling and all that; it seems that emotion and sheer testosterone are running the show for the jets. now, i know you can't win without either, but you also need to use your head. i think the jets are taking after their coach, and a lot of them weren't the headiest players to begin with.

Mr. Pink
10-19-2009, 12:44 AM
Evans and Owens are equally as bad.

Evans is outright overrated by this fanbase.

Owens is declining.

What's the difference.

Non factor in who outcoached who.

Coach Sal
10-19-2009, 05:33 AM
Evans and Owens are equally as bad.

Bullcrap.

Lee Evans is still younger, faster, and has better hands than T.O.

He's not great, but he has no QBs good enough to utilize him on the Buffalo Bills, so he doesn't fill up a stat sheet.

But anyone who watches this team can see that Owens is much more coverable.

What's the difference.

Non factor in who outcoached who.

Big difference. Go back and watch how the DB bailed on the coverage before the snap on Lee's TD,and then whiffed after the catch.

Ryan's decision cost his team a big TD.