PDA

View Full Version : Defending Dick at the end of regulation

Oaf
10-19-2009, 09:22 PM
Honestly, if that 3rd down was a pass and it led to a sack or a fumble or a pick can you imagine what this place would be like?

The whole of I-90 would have your spewage on it.

Van pelt, not Jauron, makes the safe call in the situation that has lost us games against Dallas among others. We run for a yard and keep possession for a makeable FG, and JAURON, not Van Pelt, gets blasted for it? With Fitz barely staying alive in the pocket and completing less than half his passes with SEVEN overall picks in the game with 20 mph gusts, how could you possibly 100% justify dropping back and throwing it at that point?

Dick doesn't call individual plays if you haven't figured it out yet. And if you're going to get on him for not being aggressive in a 8 turnover game in gusty conditions while your already in FG range, well that's your prerogative. And yes, obviously the Jets AND Dallas game, games we lost through similar situations played a factor.

ServoBillieves
10-19-2009, 09:24 PM
AVP! AVP! AVP!

Oaf
10-19-2009, 11:40 PM
So all the people that roasted DJ for this head back into the woodwork..

Typ0
10-19-2009, 11:50 PM
people complain about DJ if they burn their dinner.

tampabay25690
10-20-2009, 06:37 AM
people complain about DJ if they burn their dinner.

I agree if we were 4-2 what would these guys talk about?
Realisitic we could be 4-2 right now

Forward_Lateral
10-20-2009, 06:40 AM
At 1-4, you play to win. This team has shown zero signs of desperation, which worries more than their 2-4 record.

chernobylwraiths
10-20-2009, 06:56 AM
With 1:19 seconds left and one timeout, Buffalo gains a first down. They then run a pitchout that loses two yards to the side of the field that Lindell missed from. I was pissed that they had over a minute to do SOMETHING to try and get closer, get a touchdown, but instead they run a slow evolving running play with the entire defense up at the line of scrimmage ready for it. It is pointed out that the conditions were gusty, well, why are we satisfied with trying to kick a long field goal in gusty conditions like that? It was just horrible and what I have come to expect from a Jauron coached team. Weather AVP calls the plays or not, Jauron is called the HEAD coach for a reason. This team needs to be chopped down from the head down.

NC-BILLS44
10-20-2009, 10:18 AM
With 1:19 seconds left and one timeout, Buffalo gains a first down. They then run a pitchout that loses two yards to the side of the field that Lindell missed from. I was pissed that they had over a minute to do SOMETHING to try and get closer, get a touchdown, but instead they run a slow evolving running play with the entire defense up at the line of scrimmage ready for it. It is pointed out that the conditions were gusty, well, why are we satisfied with trying to kick a long field goal in gusty conditions like that? It was just horrible and what I have come to expect from a Jauron coached team. Weather AVP calls the plays or not, Jauron is called the HEAD coach for a reason. This team needs to be chopped down from the head down.

That's what I was screaming at the time. Why do they settle for a 46 yard FG attempt??? There was time and a timeout to get even closer.

Typ0
10-20-2009, 10:34 AM
I think this is oversimplified. You are talking about audible out of the play being ran based on the defense being presented...and then you have your backup QB changing to a pass play where a loss of 5 yards via penalty or sack removes your chance to win the game on the kick. Things just haven't been going great. I think you have to give DJ and AVP some credit for realizing things haven't been going that great. I really think that's why some decisions are being made the way they are. If the players would demonstrate more competence and consistency then the coaches would start to be more aggressive. You can't tell me it's 100% the coaching. DJ pretty much got rid of the penalty problem going in to this year actually...and then all of a sudden we have rookies on the OLine and are taking a lot of penalties.

Typ0
10-20-2009, 10:35 AM
That's what I was screaming at the time. Why do they settle for a 46 yard FG attempt??? There was time and a timeout to get even closer.

because they tried to run a play they had been successful at.

trapezeus
10-20-2009, 10:51 AM
Oaf, Jauron is the head coach of the team. he has a philospophy and gets players and coaches to buy into that theory.

It is his "play not to lose" mentality that is passed on to everyone and the people he brings in. Fairchild, turk, AVP...how many more people do we need to bring in to realize they are catering to what he wants.

Look at that ravens/vikings game. Do you think after losing a ton of momentum a dick jauron led team would air out a 40 yard pass to get the go ahead points?

dick jauron has no concept of offense and apparently no grasp of a 3-4 defense. So he will continuously try to just run out the clock and escape with a win. It's gutless. he's cost himself at least 4 games off the top of my head from this nonsensical play it safe attitude.

Every failure for the last 3+ years in game day situations falls on the coach. It's like that for all 32 teams. Jauron isn't getting a pass. He's a pathetic game day coach and we've gotten plenty of chances to see that.

Oldbillsfan
10-20-2009, 11:12 AM
Afraid to win.

WeAreArthurMoates
10-20-2009, 11:26 AM
At 1-4, you play to win. This team has shown zero signs of desperation, which worries more than their 2-4 record.

The thing is they did. They throw a bomb and unfortunatly the call didn't go there way. You can't throw another bomb cause they will be looking for that then.

TheBrownBear
10-20-2009, 12:04 PM
It's indefensible. This type of coaching cost us last year's game against Cleveland and should have cost us Sunday's game (and even cost us Super Bowl XXV). You do not "settle" for a 45+ yard attempt to win or tie a game when you have plenty of time to get closer.

The only way this type of coaching is even somewhat defensible is if you are in a dome and you've got a hall of fame kicker on your team. Other than that, it's stupid and it's playing not to win. Typical hallmarks of the Dick era.

feldspar
10-20-2009, 02:20 PM
Honestly, if that 3rd down was a pass and it led to a sack or a fumble or a pick can you imagine what this place would be like?

Van pelt, not Jauron, makes the safe call in the situation that has lost us games against Dallas among others. We run for a yard and keep possession for a makeable FG, and JAURON, not Van Pelt, gets blasted for it? With Fitz barely staying alive in the pocket and completing less than half his passes with SEVEN overall picks in the game with 20 mph gusts, how could you possibly 100% justify dropping back and throwing it at that point?

Dick doesn't call individual plays if you haven't figured it out yet. And if you're going to get on him for not being aggressive in a 8 turnover game in gusty conditions while your already in FG range, well that's your prerogative. And yes, obviously the Jets AND Dallas game, games we lost through similar situations played a factor.

First of all, the Bills attempted the fieldgoal on 2nd down, not 3rd down.

Secondly, the Bills had TWO timeouts and were on the Jets' 29 yardline with two minutes left .It was the two minute warning...it was also only 2nd and 2. So, with 2 minutes to go and with two timeouts, the Bills run only THREE plays. This is not something just about any other team would do. I was livid.

We should have run the ball a couple more times or throw a screen...something. We had plenty of time.

Philagape
10-20-2009, 02:25 PM

Who's saying they should have passed it? With two timeouts, there was plenty of time for a run or two. Anything to try to get closer. Wasting that time for a 46-yard FG try into the wind is insane. They were playing for overtime, and that is the crime. Absolutely gutless and timid and incompetent coaching.