PDA

View Full Version : Shanahan apparently rejects Redskins

NorthCarBills
10-20-2009, 03:44 PM
Gives me hope another quality coach might still be out there at season end. Not to say he'd come to Bufffalo or be even considered due to his probable salary demands and/or desire to coach again period.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Report-Shanahan-was-offered-and-turned-down-the;_ylt=AqKh38sCmAvEYabG8uXMp_5DubYF?urn=nfl,196993

SquishDaFish
10-20-2009, 03:46 PM
They should just hand it over to Jerry Gray he deserves it.

Demon
10-20-2009, 03:50 PM
They were saying on ESPN radio that while he rejected them, he didn't exactly "reject" them. He said coaching move like this mid-season wouldn't work and doesn't make sense for anyone. They said they think Shanahan will resume talks with Washington late in the year. I can't blame him for not wanting to come in mid-season.

Jim Zorn is a fool. First they take away his play calling, he doesn't even have the authority to name a starting QB and now they were about to hire a new coach and fire him? Why is he still in DC?

NorthCarBills
10-20-2009, 03:57 PM
They were saying on ESPN radio that while he rejected them, he didn't exactly "reject" them. He said coaching move like this mid-season wouldn't work and doesn't make sense for anyone. They said they think Shanahan will resume talks with Washington late in the year. I can't blame him for not wanting to come in mid-season.

Jim Zorn is a fool. First they take away his play calling, he doesn't even have the authority to name a starting QB and now they were about to hire a new coach and fire him? Why is he still in DC?

Right.... Similarly, for this reason, I do understand not firing Jauron now. Not to say I want him around, but I dont think it matters if his dismissal is delayed until season end.

kernowboy
10-20-2009, 04:06 PM
Personally I'd like us to hire Russ Grimm of the Cardinals, Cowher's nominated successor at Pittsburgh who fell foul of the Rooney rule.

dplus47
10-20-2009, 04:18 PM

he signed a 5 year deal for $15 million, and he wouldn't get all that if he just walked out. i think snyder is messing with him, trying to get him to quit.

zorn may be a fool, but i wouldn't necessarily walk out on the rest of the $ in that contract.

Ingtar33
10-20-2009, 04:24 PM
I explained why no "good" coach would take over a team midseason. this has nothing to do with the redskins job being particularly undesirable.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=181135&page=2

If Jauron was fired tomorrow, would you take the job?
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...d.php?t=180666

depends.

I'm sure the pay would be better then what im making now. But i'd like to see a stronger commitment in the Bills front office to it's scouting department before i seriously consider it.

You have to understand the situation -

I'd be leaving a pretty stable job, for a team someone else built, and coached... worse i'd be stuck with coordinators who i don't know, as doing a FULL staff replacement mid season might be too much.

Finally, pro jobs are fleeting, i'd have probably the rest of this season, and all of next to turn it around, and i'd need some cooperation from the Front office, and a bit of luck.

-could i turn around this team? I don't know. Personally, it would be a "dream" job to coach in the NFL for my favorite team growing up.

remember.. I'm just a college coach, and this would be a dream job for me... yet even i would be hesitant to take it mid season.

I don't have superbowl rings, or championships... i don't have a legacy of success to protect. A superbowl coach "with rings" has all of those.

Taking over a team mid season would be very unappealing. I don't care which team comes calling.. worse.. the Bills are so badly mismanaged, i don't think I'd take it if i was in the position of Bill Cowher, Mike Shanahan or John Gruden, i don't care how much money or control was offered.

With a full off season and draft? Sure, i think Cowher or Shanahan or Gruden might seriously consider an offer... but midseason? Never in a million years.

It's a no win situation for a good coach to take over a bad team in the middle of a season. As a result no "good" coach would seriously consider an offer unless he's been out of work and for some reason can't get hired... in which case you wonder just how good a coach he is

Dr. Pepper
10-20-2009, 04:27 PM
Personally I'd like us to hire Russ Grimm of the Cardinals, Cowher's nominated successor at Pittsburgh who fell foul of the Rooney rule.

you think the Rooney rule is why Tomlin got the job? :down:

DynaPaul
10-20-2009, 04:54 PM
Dan Snyder is like a younger version of Al Davis. Who wants to work for him?

kernowboy
10-20-2009, 05:04 PM
you think the Rooney rule is why Tomlin got the job? :down:

Apparently Grimm was actually offered the Head Coaching position.

It was then pointed out by the NFL that the instigators of the Rooney rule were apparently not acting in the spirit of the rule as it was only a paper thin difference between Tomlin and Grimm, the offer was withdrawn and Tomlin appointed.

It was initially reported in the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that Grimm had the job - this was confirmed by CBS Sports from three separate sources.

The NFL spoke to Dan Rooney the author of the Rooney rule suggesting the minority candidate should be appointed and as there was barely anything to choose between them, Tomlin was offered the job.

Raptor
10-20-2009, 05:56 PM

THANK GOD! We can finally stop with the asinine idea that any big name coach would replace DJ midseason. This idea gets put to rest by a big name coach himself

Typ0
10-20-2009, 11:34 PM
I'm just curious how it is that a 5 and a half year deal isn't at least as good as a 5 year deal. I know what your saying about inheriting a mess but that is going to happen no matter what. I guess you could make the arguement that it wouldn't be easy to "get off to a good start" on the relationships you need to build. But really, you're starting next year anyway and every season is a new season. I would think if it was a place you wanted to work you would consider taking the job and getting a foothold going forward. It's not like anyone that matters is going to judge you based on what happens to the team in the second half of a season already tanked when you just took over.

I explained why no "good" coach would take over a team midseason. this has nothing to do with the redskins job being particularly undesirable.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=181135&page=2

It's a no win situation for a good coach to take over a bad team in the middle of a season. As a result no "good" coach would seriously consider an offer unless he's been out of work and for some reason can't get hired... in which case you wonder just how good a coach he is

Typ0
10-20-2009, 11:35 PM
also, in that thread you are talking about an unestablished coach. I think that is quite different than the established ones Im talking about above.

YardRat
10-21-2009, 06:15 AM
Pass on Shanahan.

IMO, and maybe it's just me, but I'd prefer to take over a team mid-season to get a nice jump start on the following year. Better opportunity to evaluate the current roster and staff, more time to prepare for FA and the draft, etc.

ChristopherWalken
10-21-2009, 07:39 AM
Still don't think Shannahan would take the Skins job, although, as we all know, it is quite a lucrative position in DC and sometimes money speaks volumes.

I do believe that Holmgren is a better fit in DC.