PDA

View Full Version : Paille traded

Dr. Pepper
10-20-2009, 05:23 PM
to the Bruins, for a 3rd.

love the move. he was dead weight.

Nighthawk
10-20-2009, 05:24 PM
Interesting...trading to a team in your division. To bad he didn't work out here...he looked good early in his career, but had trouble playing consistently, night in and night out.

Dr. Pepper
10-20-2009, 05:26 PM
yeah i was surprised it was to the Bruins. regier rarely trades within the division.

hydro
10-20-2009, 05:48 PM
Also the possibility of a 4th rounder depending on his play on the B's.

OpIv37
10-20-2009, 05:53 PM
keep the 4th- I'd rather have him suck and not help the Bruins.

I don't really care about losing Paille. He was good for a 6 week stretch back in 07-08 and that was it.

But, as a general rule in any sport, I hate trades within the division. Too easy to get burned...

Philagape
10-20-2009, 06:07 PM
DAMMIT THERE GOES MY PAILLE JERSEY!!!

Nighthawk
10-20-2009, 06:22 PM
DAMMIT THERE GOES MY PAILLE JERSEY!!!

IF you have a Paille jersey, why the hell would you have bought it??? That being said, I believe your just kidding...but could you imagine if you did have his jersey? :roflmao:

Philagape
10-20-2009, 06:24 PM
Actually I had converted it from a Brent Peterson jersey ;)

THIS ENTIRE LINE OF CONVERSATION IS HUMOROUS AND FICTIONAL

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
10-20-2009, 06:45 PM
keep the 4th- I'd rather have him suck and not help the Bruins.

I don't really care about losing Paille. He was good for a 6 week stretch back in 07-08 and that was it.

But, as a general rule in any sport, I hate trades within the division. Too easy to get burned...

The trade is the first ever between the Sabres and Bruins, according to the Bruins' Web site.

Dr. Lecter
10-20-2009, 06:48 PM
The trade is the first ever between the Sabres and Bruins, according to the Bruins' Web site.
I think the web site is wrong.

Back in the mid 70's Peter McNabb went to Boston from Buffalo.

At least I think so.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
10-20-2009, 06:49 PM

At I think so.

:link: http://bruins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=502875

Dr. Lecter
10-20-2009, 06:53 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_McNab

McNab led the Cincinnati Swords of the AHL in scoring in 1973–74, despite just playing in 49 of 76 games, and debuted with Buffalo that same season. While with Buffalo, he got his first NHL goal on December 15, 1973, against the Minnesota North Stars.

After a trip to the Stanley Cup Finals in 1975, McNab was traded to the Boston Bruins.

Good enough?

bigbub2352
10-20-2009, 07:15 PM
good move, i think mair goose and kaleta is a solid 4 line

The King
10-20-2009, 07:17 PM
Tell me about Pele. I dont know anything about this dude,

Dr. Lecter
10-20-2009, 07:35 PM
Last year, he was the Sabre best player for the first 5 games or so. He is an OK skater with some size. When he plays hard, he is very effective as a 3rd line guy, who can be physical enough to be a 4th line guy and can be a fill-in on the second line.

But he disappears for long stretches. 2 years ago he had 19 goals. Last year he dropped to 12.

He is 25 or so, so he is not an old guy but should be more consistent.

He might be a good pick-up. But if he does not play more consistently Bruins fans will be frustrated with him.

Ebenezer
10-20-2009, 07:50 PM

At least I think so.
you are correct...the Sabres traded McNabb for Andre Savard.

Ebenezer
10-20-2009, 07:51 PM
:link: http://bruins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=502875
Just because it is on the internet doesn't make it right.

Check out this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andr%C3%A9_Savard

chernobylwraiths
10-20-2009, 08:32 PM

At least I think so.

That sounds familiar to me.

Nighthawk
10-20-2009, 08:41 PM
Now if we could trade Hecht or Ellis...that would be a good week!

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
10-20-2009, 09:04 PM
No, you got it all wrong I wasn't asking for him to look up anything or prove anything I was just saying here's the link. You see I like the :link: icon.

who was Peter McNabb anyways? was he any good? I was born on Dec. 19th 1979 so I never got to see the French Connection play and I really didn't get into hockey until I started playing ice and street hockey that was in 1992. My first hockey game that I attended was against the Hartford Whalers with my brother's cub scout troop that's where I got a Pat LaFontaine jersey.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
10-20-2009, 09:52 PM
Tell me about Pele. I dont know anything about this dude,

Paille, 25, has one assist in two games with the Sabres this season. He was Buffalo's first-round pick in the 2002 Entry Draft and has 35 goals and 77 points in 182 NHL games, all with the Sabres. His best season was 2007-08, when he scored 19 goals and added 16 assists for 35 points in 77 games. He followed that by going 12-16-28 in 73 games last season.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=502873

OpIv37
10-20-2009, 10:44 PM
Now if we could trade Hecht or Ellis...that would be a good week!

Hecht was solid in 07-08. He was a complete waste last year. So far this year, he's had a ton of scoring opportunities and he's capitalized on one or two of them. I don't think we should give up on him yet.

Ellis- meh. He's a body cuz we need a 4th line- that's about it.

snow1989
10-20-2009, 11:16 PM
I think the Paille trade is alright....it's tough dealing within the division, but if that's the only club looking to make a trade then you do what you have to. Most people have been on Darcy for NOT doing anything so at least this is a change and we were stacked on forwards.

I wouldn't be against trading Hecht as well...I think the jury is still out, he disappeared last year, but this year at least he has shown some hustle, time will tell, but he could be trade bait next.

Ellis?...hmm, will take some time to see how consistent he is and whether he fits, but now is a good time to find out...I think we have a few guys in Portland that could step-up and do just as well, perhaps better if Ellis doesn't work out.

trapezeus
10-21-2009, 08:39 AM
Buffalo news said the Mcnab "trade" was us giving boston his rights...so it wasn't exactly a trade.

I have a soft spot for Paille as he was my leading short handed goal scorer in NHL 08. but aside from that random fact, it is just so short sighted of this team to be making trades for picks. Defense looks a little better than last year, but there are going to be injuries, the team isn't deep enough. get a player now. How often do our 3rd round picks work out? and even if it does, it's going to take between 3-5 years.

Dr. Lecter
10-21-2009, 08:48 AM
Easy said than done though.

And with the cap, teams love draft picks.

As for depth, Ennis, Gerbe and Gogulla are playing well in the minors. They still have Mair and Paestch here for depth and Weber is in Portland too.

The depth is not that bad and they can always swing the extra picks for depth if it is needed.

rbochan
10-21-2009, 09:04 AM
Good luck Fred.
Apparently, you'll be boo'd when you come back.

THATHURMANATOR
10-21-2009, 09:09 AM
This move could end up coming back to bite us but he was definitely expendable.

THATHURMANATOR
10-21-2009, 09:11 AM
Buffalo news said the Mcnab "trade" was us giving boston his rights...so it wasn't exactly a trade.

I have a soft spot for Paille as he was my leading short handed goal scorer in NHL 08. but aside from that random fact, it is just so short sighted of this team to be making trades for picks. Defense looks a little better than last year, but there are going to be injuries, the team isn't deep enough. get a player now. How often do our 3rd round picks work out? and even if it does, it's going to take between 3-5 years.
We have a bunch of Forwards in the Minors that can come up.(Gerbe, Mancari, Ennis, Gogulla...sp, Mccormick) Not to mention Mair hasn't even cracked the lineup yet.

The King
10-21-2009, 09:13 AM
Sounds like we Traded Kobasew for a second and then traded a third for a guy just like Chucky.

Im ok with that... although seems like a lot to do about nothing.

DMBcrew36
10-21-2009, 10:03 AM
Hecht was solid in 07-08. He was a complete waste last year. So far this year, he's had a ton of scoring opportunities and he's capitalized on one or two of them. I don't think we should give up on him yet.

Ellis- meh. He's a body cuz we need a 4th line- that's about it.

There are a lot of nights when I think Ellis is better than many of our other forwards. He's a high motor guy, much like Mair, who rarely seems to take a shift off. Even if he doesn't score, I think the rest of the team often feeds off of his energy. He is EXACTLY what I want in a 4th line player.

trapezeus
10-21-2009, 11:42 AM
We have a bunch of Forwards in the Minors that can come up.(Gerbe, Mancari, Ennis, Gogulla...sp, Mccormick) Not to mention Mair hasn't even cracked the lineup yet.

is there a rule we have to trade forwards for forwards? i worry about our defense forthe long haul.

i realize we already took a defenseman from the bruins this year, but i would like more blue line help...

SquishDaFish
10-21-2009, 05:42 PM
Sounds like we Traded Kobasew for a second and then traded a third for a guy just like Chucky.

Im ok with that... although seems like a lot to do about nothing.

I was a fan of Kobasew also so that sucks but man we have some good 1st and 2nd round picks next two drafts. We needed a shakeup though after this years start. Hopefully this does it but losing Savard and Lucic for a month or so now to injury sucks

Nighthawk
10-21-2009, 06:16 PM
There are a lot of nights when I think Ellis is better than many of our other forwards. He's a high motor guy, much like Mair, who rarely seems to take a shift off. Even if he doesn't score, I think the rest of the team often feeds off of his energy. He is EXACTLY what I want in a 4th line player.

So, you want a guy who was taken out of the lineup for the guy we just traded? He's not good enough to stay in the lineup...which says that he isn't good enough to be considered an integral part of this team.

SabreEleven
10-21-2009, 10:37 PM
Sabres had an excess of LW and Bruins were desperate for LW and all we got were to draft picks that will never amount to anything. I think Darcy should have gotten more. Not that Paille was worth more but the market should have drove up his price...2nd rounder at least or no deal...**** Boston. Why are we helping them out?

SquishDaFish
10-22-2009, 03:19 AM
He had an assist in his 1st game. Looked decent

Dr. Pepper
10-22-2009, 03:19 AM

the sabres arent deep enough? our problem is that were TOO deep right now. mair is still in the pressbox as a healthy scratch, paetsch plays forward, mancari, gerbe, and ennis are all pushing for a spot in the bigs.

chernobylwraiths
10-22-2009, 06:38 AM
the sabres arent deep enough? our problem is that were TOO deep right now. mair is still in the pressbox as a healthy scratch, paetsch plays forward, mancari, gerbe, and ennis are all pushing for a spot in the bigs.

Too deep? Yeah, we're too deep in mediocre players.

Jan Reimers
10-22-2009, 07:45 AM
is there a rule we have to trade forwards for forwards? i worry about our defense forthe long haul.

i realize we already took a defenseman from the bruins this year, but i would like more blue line help...
I think we're better, and deeper, on the blue line than we've been in a while. Myers is a great young player, and Butler and Sekera (currently injured) are very good young players. We have quality veterans in Tallinder, who seems to have his career back on track, plus Lydman, Rivet, and Montador. Paetsch, who has been our 7th guy the last few years, can't get on the ice. And Weber is still a good young prospect, although he regressed a little in training camp this year.

DMBcrew36
10-22-2009, 09:08 AM
So, you want a guy who was taken out of the lineup for the guy we just traded? He's not good enough to stay in the lineup...which says that he isn't good enough to be considered an integral part of this team.

Ellis was only out because he had a thigh contusion, not because Paille was viewed as an upgrade. Ellis would have otherwise been in the lineup for every game thus far.

From the Buffalo News:

Paille set a career high with 19 goals two seasons ago but has slid down the depth chart since. He dipped to 12 goals last year, and the 25-year-old started even slower this season.
He was a healthy scratch in the Sabres’ first four games. After recording one assist during the past two contests, he was scheduled to head back to the press box tonight when the Sabres meet the Florida Panthers. Left wings Thomas Vanek and Matt Ellis have returned from injury, leaving no room for Paille.
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2009/10/paille-deal-signals-change-in-divisional-attitude.html

It's just IMO that Ellis really helps drive that 4th line.

chernobylwraiths
10-22-2009, 10:46 AM
I think we're better, and deeper, on the blue line than we've been in a while. Myers is a great young player, and Butler and Sekera (currently injured) are very good young players. We have quality veterans in Tallinder, who seems to have his career back on track, plus Lydman, Rivet, and Montador. Paetsch, who has been our 7th guy the last few years, can't get on the ice. And Weber is still a good young prospect, although he regressed a little in training camp this year.

Sekera at times seems very poor and was poor for most of last year. Tallinder has had short stretches of good games before, so I won't get to giddy about a good stretch for now. Myers and Butler seem to be good though.

DMBcrew36
10-22-2009, 11:31 AM
Too deep? Yeah, we're too deep in mediocre players.

Mediocre? Eh. We may not have a bunch of All-Stars that are going to contend for leading the league in scoring or big-name players (other than maybe Vanek), but we have very solid forwards that fit our system and are willing to believe in our system. I would rather have four well-rounded lines than a few studs surrounded by scrubs, because then if your Lecavalier's and St.Louis' aren't firing, you're screwed.

rbochan
10-22-2009, 11:59 AM
Reading through a bunch of other teams' boards, the general consensus is that the Sabres got shafted on the deal.

DMBcrew36
10-22-2009, 12:04 PM
Reading through a bunch of other teams' boards, the general consensus is that the Sabres got shafted on the deal.

We'll see in a year or two. But think about it like this. Paille is a restricted free-agent after this season. The Sabres probably had no intention of paying him because we have depth at forward and because he hasn't developed into the player they had hoped. There is no room for him with a glut of left-wingers on the team and a need for more cap room this season. The Sabres also have other restricted free-agents to worry about and there won't be room for him this coming Summer anyway, with Gerbe waiting on deck. I'd rather get a 3rd and 4th rounder than nothing for the guy.

Dr. Pepper
10-22-2009, 05:40 PM

other teams dont watch paille play on a regular basis. they see the 19 goal season and his age (25) and get hard-ons. trust me, when matt ellis gets starts over him, he's not a good player.

Demon
10-22-2009, 09:09 PM

How so? Getting a 3rd round pick for a spare part?

He was behind Matt Ellis/Adam Mair on the depth chart and got a gift to play top line due to Vanek's injury. He failed in that situation and was demoted to the 4th line soon there after. When we're at 100%, one of Ellis/Mair will sit and Paille was even behind them. And if they will need to go deeper for the 4th line due to injuries, Jeff Cowen or McCormick will give them more effort then Paille.

Sabres get a pick (only a pick, let's not kid ourselves, he aint scoring 16 or more) and bunch of money AND get a pick. Seems to me Boston got shafted.

snow1989
10-23-2009, 04:09 AM
{ Sabres get a pick (only a pick, let's not kid ourselves, he aint scoring 16 or more) and bunch of money AND get a pick. Seems to me Boston got shafted. }

Perhaps no one got shafted? Boston had a need, they filled it and maybe Paille does alright in their system and scores 20-30 goals. Who knows? We get a pick and a conditional one...whose not to say we keep the picks or turn around later and package a player with the picks for someone else? Only time will tell.

Dozerdog
10-23-2009, 06:40 AM
When two divisional rivals fighting each other for playoff spots make a deal, usually it is in the best interest of both. Neither team has incompetent management.

Sabres could have stood pat and watched a decimated Bruins squad falter, but then loose/ cut a player later for nothing.

Not to say Paille is going to be the next Ilya Bryzgolov or Rich Peaverly, but the Sabres got some value. Those were two guys acquired via waivers and cost their new teams nothing. We can flip that 3rd round pick for a trade deadline guy who might help us.

DMBcrew36
10-28-2009, 09:20 PM

Ellis again showing tonight that he drives the Sabres 4th line. Ellis is an important role player for this team for sure. He was dominating along the walls tonight and in the cycle.