PDA

View Full Version : Dick Jauron: What a Leader

madness
10-21-2009, 09:22 AM
Dick Jauron: What a Leader (http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2009/10/20/1092245/what-a-leader)
I know I'll get bashed if I write anything pro-Dick Jauron, but I have no issues defending this man. Regardless of what you think of Jauron, one thing you can never say is that he is not a great leader. What is leadership? Defined by Webster:
http://www.billszone.com/mt/images/newsicons/bills.gif buffalorumblings.com/MARVelous | Posted at 01:15 PM

Syderick
10-21-2009, 09:34 AM
He's not a good leader, he stands there emotionless. Atleast Bobby April will either fire up or call out his special teams unit.

Philagape
10-21-2009, 09:41 AM
He's great at leading teams to losing records.

Jaybird
10-21-2009, 09:48 AM
SPAM

justasportsfan
10-21-2009, 09:49 AM
I agree . He's as much as a leader as Jim Jones and Dicks buffalo bills players are no different from Jonestown citizens.

casdhf
10-21-2009, 09:57 AM
Dick is a great defensive coordinator.

madness
10-21-2009, 09:59 AM
While no one knows where this season will go next, the one thing I know is that a Jauron-led football team will never give up. Michael Lombardi named Dick Jauron coach of the week in his Monday Tavern Column. (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/The-Monday-Tavern.html)

He’s been very professional dealing with the uncertainty of his position, and his players have played hard for him in every game. They’re not the most talented team in the NFL, but yesterday they got a win against the reeling Jets (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/NYJ). Wins will be hard to come by for Jauron the remainder of the season, but getting his team to play hard won’t be a difficult challenge.

Luisito23
10-21-2009, 10:01 AM
Dick is a great defensive coordinator.

I have no problem in him staying as our DC once and if he gets fired, but I doubt that will happen.

Mahdi
10-21-2009, 10:02 AM
Dick Jauron: What a Leader (http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2009/10/20/1092245/what-a-leader)
I know I'll get bashed if I write anything pro-Dick Jauron, but I have no issues defending this man. Regardless of what you think of Jauron, one thing you can never say is that he is not a great leader. What is leadership? Defined by Webster:
http://www.billszone.com/mt/images/newsicons/bills.gif buffalorumblings.com/MARVelous | Posted at 01:15 PM
I have no problem with Jauron. If he had a QB we could easily be undefeated right now.

This team is a QB away from the playoffs.

Luisito23
10-21-2009, 10:04 AM

We need much more than that, but QB is without a doubt the biggest issue with this team.

justasportsfan
10-21-2009, 10:05 AM
I have no problem with Jauron. If he had a QB we could easily be undefeated right now.

He's a DC who isn't made to be a HC. Head coaches aren't helpless when dealing with the offensive side of the ball. Dick is at the mercy of whoever he picks as OC.

madness
10-21-2009, 10:13 AM
The Bills' misfortunes are an organizational problem, not a HC problem. The problems lie much deeper, and some have been well-documented here at Rumblings.

trapezeus
10-21-2009, 10:21 AM
no way that DJ isn't a problem. you don't go through 3 OC's and keep pulling the same stunts of punting in 4th and short in close games.

The issues he has he is responsible for. if you hadn't blow the Dwayne wright, RB pick, which forced us to pick Omon, who we still don't seem to want, then maybe we'd have depth somewhere else. if we don't keep taking 2-5 DB's every single draft, we'd have depth elsewhere. if he could find just one person other than kyle williams to be able to man the line, we'd be ok.

If he doesn't let leonard walk. If he plays fred jackson earlier. if he kept crowell, ellison isn't on the field as much, if they kept haggan....if he would have admitted that JP sucked earlier so we could have drafted cutler or signed Drew Brees...if he admitted that TE couldn't get the job done, he could have traded for cutler.

how many misses at so many levels do you want before you blame the man at the top of the team? and then you look further up and there isn't a football man within a 700 mile radius of one bills drive.

bigbub2352
10-21-2009, 10:24 AM
Dick Jaroun: What a Loser
seriously this article is a joke
this dude is the worst coach in the NFL
emotionless and his team follows right behind him
Leader of how to Lose in the NFL

The Juice Is Loose
10-21-2009, 10:25 AM
i liked the article. its 100% accurate. he's not the most adept football mind, but this team has never even waivered in support of him.

tom coughlin lost his team completely, then they won a super bowl.

i'm not saying anything in line of keep jauron, but the guy is a warrior, and if nothing else i respect the hell out of him.

i'm content with him finishing the season. lets see what he can get out of this team.

justasportsfan
10-21-2009, 10:27 AM
i liked the article. its 100% accurate. he's not the most adept football mind, but this team has never even waivered in support of him.

tom coughlin lost his team completely, then they won a super bowl.

i'm not saying anything in line of keep jauron, but the guy is a warrior, and if nothing else i respect the hell out of him.

i'm content with him finishing the season. lets see what he can get out of this team.

they like him because he pats them on the back when they suck and lose. In other words, Dick made our players accept that they are losers as long as they lose all together.

The broncos have bought into McDaniels because he made them winners. Not because he's a nice guy.

unpaid_bills
10-21-2009, 10:43 AM
they dont waiver (or say anything) would you if you were paid millions$$ to play a game? He is a players coach but at this level of play these guys need a different type of leader. They dont need fundemental coaching X & O's they are all the most talented guys they wouldnt be in the NFL if not. At the NFL level its all about motivation, situational game management, making adjustments and being creative. Dick really honestly has been given ample opportunity to do this and has simply not performed (got the results). So is he a leader, absolutely is he getting results (and making the team better?) no we have regressed it seems. That is my humble opinion. He seems like a really nice guy, obviously knows the game but some guys should not be head coaches there is lot more to it

Mahdi
10-21-2009, 10:45 AM
We need much more than that, but QB is without a doubt the biggest issue with this team.
I agree.

IMO though, a good QB takes this team, as it is, to the playoffs.

A good QB, with a dominant DE and a pass rushing DT take us to the superbowl.

Billz_fan
10-21-2009, 10:47 AM
For all of us, in our life, we should be lucky if we can find ways to stay as poised and persistent as Jauron has through all the billboards, losses, and fan anarchy. We live in a media world that demands instant gratification.

I love this one, How does Dicks tenure here have anything to do with instant gratification? We are about to go through what ? our 4th losing season here with Dick at the helm. Untill this year there has been no "large" public fan outrage for him to endure. Sorry the writer lost me here.

justasportsfan
10-21-2009, 11:04 AM
I agree.

that qb is going to have to be already established coming in because Dick isn't going to develop one. someone like Brees.

BuffaloRanger
10-21-2009, 11:26 AM
A great leader can be a very average football player. George Wilson is a great leader on this team. A Defensive Captain. A stand up guy. He's a backup on the Bills. Would you rank him in the Top 20 safeties in the NFL? Top 30?

A great leader can also be a very average football coach. Dick Jauron can't seem to get out of his own way on Sundays. He coaches not to lose and to keep the score close. He punts on 4th and short with 7 minutes left. While he may be a great motivator and teacher (maybe) he is a below average gameday Head Coach.

TacklingDummy
10-21-2009, 11:29 AM
He's a DC who isn't made to be a HC. Head coaches aren't helpless when dealing with the offensive side of the ball. Dick is at the mercy of whoever he picks as OC.
Wasn't Tony Dungy considered a great DC in Tampa? What happened in Indy?

DraftBoy
10-21-2009, 11:31 AM
I agree.

Ill fix it,

A good QB, a stabled gelled OL, a real #1 WR, a true TE receiving threat, a pass rush, a run stopping set of middle defenders, playmaking safeties, and a reliable big game kicker gets us to the playoffs.

Mahdi
10-21-2009, 11:47 AM
Ill fix it,

A good QB, a stabled gelled OL, a real #1 WR, a true TE receiving threat, a pass rush, a run stopping set of middle defenders, playmaking safeties, and a reliable big game kicker gets us to the playoffs.
The '90 Bills?

I dont think every team that makes the playoffs has all those things.

justasportsfan
10-21-2009, 11:50 AM
Wasn't Tony Dungy considered a great DC in Tampa? What happened in Indy?
He won a sb.

TacklingDummy
10-21-2009, 11:54 AM
He won a sb.And yet in Indy his offense was great and the D was no where near what it was in Tampa.

Maybe it's the players that have more to do with winning.

Brian Billick was a great OC in Minny, went to Baltimore and the D was great.

Same could be said for NE, Belicheck was known for Defense in NY, yet it's been the offense that's carried his teams.

justasportsfan
10-21-2009, 11:56 AM
And yet in Indy his offense was great and the D was no where near what it was in Tampa.

Maybe it's the players that have more to do with winning.

Brian Billick was a great OC in Minny, went to Baltimore and the D was great.

Same could be said for NE, Belicheck was known for Defense in NY, yet it's been the offense that's carried his teams.
I keep telling you it's both. You're the one who thinks it's all talent.

TacklingDummy
10-21-2009, 11:58 AM
I keep telling you it's both. You're the one who thinks it's all talent.
90% Players
10% coaching

justasportsfan
10-21-2009, 11:59 AM
90% Players
10% coaching
Since you bring BB up, he won the sb with Antoine Smith and a 2nd year qb in Brady who won due to screen plays. Who do you think called for him to run screen plays? The coaches.

YOu think the broncos iare 6-0 because of Orton and a rookie rb named Moreno? You're dreaming.Shanahan couldn't get to 6-0 with Cutler and a more experienced rb.

Hostetler/Rypien were waaaay better qbs and had waaaay better supporting cast than Kelly and the bills.Mkay!

TacklingDummy
10-21-2009, 12:07 PM
Since you bring BB up, he won the sb with Antoine Smith and a 2nd year qb in Brady who won due to screen plays. Who do you think called for him to run screen plays? The coaches.

YOu think the broncos iare 6-0 because of Orton and a rookie rb named Moreno? You're dreaming.Shanahan couldn't get to 6-0 with Cutler and a more experienced rb.

Hostetler/Rypien were waaaay better qbs and had waaaay better supporting cast than Kelly and the bills.Mkay!
Who executed the plays?

trapezeus
10-21-2009, 12:08 PM
obviously, no Coach can succeed with talent that isn't commensurate to other NFL teams. But there are coaches who demand more from their players and get more from their players.

Baseball is pretty much all statistically based. you can guarantee yourself that if you stack your team with players who have good stats, you'll always make it pretty far.

Football has so many variations and injuries and bizarre plays. it's not a one on one sport like baseball can be when its pitcher vs batter. It's 11 men interacting with another 11 men.

My point is that there are a variety of things that go wrong. Good players help, but these guys have spent so much of their life just being the best and getting away with being the best athlete that they need a good coach to put them in positions to succeed. Jauron doesn't do that.

Perhaps there is a guy who could make this current bunch of losers a playoff team, but i don't think they have enough talent to make them much of a worry.

You need both, and we currently have neither.

TacklingDummy
10-21-2009, 12:14 PM
It must have been Marv Levy fault that Norwood missed the kick.

It must have been Gregg Williams fault JP Losman sucked.

It must have been Mike Mularkey fault that JP Losman sucked.

It must have been Dick Jauron fault that JP Losman Sucked.

Must have been Bill Belicheck fault Tim Couch sucked.

Must have been Steve Mariucci fault Joey Harrington sucked.

etc...I could go on...why bother.

Borosai
10-21-2009, 12:14 PM
In what way is he a good leader? We all know he's not a good head coach. You can't re-write history... or the present, for that matter.

Nighthawk
10-21-2009, 12:26 PM
I've got news for all of you who want him as our DC...he wasn't even good at that! Go look at the rankings of his defenses that he was in charge of, not very dominating. Dick is a loser, a nice loser, but a loser...none-the-less!

Nighthawk
10-21-2009, 12:28 PM
90% Players
10% coaching

TD, you're way off base on this one. Look at Dick's record, that isn't a fluke...he's got one winning season and the team that fired him went to the Super Bowl the year after he was fired.

TacklingDummy
10-21-2009, 12:36 PM
TD, you're way off base on this one. Look at Dick's record, that isn't a fluke...he's got one winning season and the team that fired him went to the Super Bowl the year after he was fired.
Wrong, they were 5-11.

Must have been Lovie Smith fault.

The Lions were 3-13 after Dick.

TacklingDummy
10-21-2009, 12:43 PM
Let's see who Dick Jauron had for QB's his coaching career....Shane Matthews, Cabe McNown, Jim Miller, Chris Chandler, Henry Burris, Kordell Stewart, Joey Harrington, JP Losman, Trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick.

And people wonder why he's had a losing record as a coach.

Nighthawk
10-21-2009, 12:46 PM
Wrong, they were 5-11.

Must have been Lovie Smith fault.

The Lions were 3-13 after Dick.

My bad...it was one year and then he took the same team to the playoffs then a SB the following year. If you honestly think this team can win with Dick Jauron as HC, then you seriously don't understand football. Does this team need additional talent, hell yes! Does this team currently have talent that would be better used with a better HC...hell yes!

Nighthawk
10-21-2009, 12:47 PM
Let's see who Dick Jauron had for QB's his coaching career....Shane Matthews, Cabe McNown, Jim Miller, Chris Chandler, Henry Burris, Kordell Stewart, Joey Harrington, JP Losman, Trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick.

And I will always argue that were these QB's terrible or did Jauron influence how their careers turned out? This is a very empty argument because we all saw how well Edwards played early on, then he was coached up (or should I say down) by Jauron and now he is garbage.

madness
10-21-2009, 12:48 PM

Dr. Frankenstein would probably still come up short with that group.

Nighthawk
10-21-2009, 12:48 PM

By the way...Lovie Smith took that Bears team to the SB with Grossman as his QB.

Nighthawk
10-21-2009, 12:50 PM

Also, so you're saying that he had ZERO say in who he brought in as QB??? That is absurd! He was HC, they have a say in personnel...that proves this guy doesn't know talent and that is a big problem when trying to win football games.

madness
10-21-2009, 12:52 PM
By the way...Lovie Smith took that Bears team to the SB with Grossman as his QB.

Using Dick's defense.

Mahdi
10-21-2009, 01:03 PM
Yes, and the Ravens won the SB with a marginal QB also.

If you have a defense that is that good and creates that many turnovers yer going to succeed. Problem is, its not easy to field a defense that good.

Jauron IMO, is a victim of circumstance, he is always behind the 8-ball because he knows his QB is a liability not an asset. That changes everything in the mind of a coach when making decisions.

The Bills year in and year out are a few good plays and a few less bad plays away from being 10-6 or 11-5, and that is with all the weaknesses we have.

If Jauron had a QB, he would have gotten us to the playoffs a couple times by now.

TacklingDummy
10-21-2009, 01:04 PM
My bad...it was one year and then he took the same team to the playoffs then a SB the following year. If you honestly think this team can win with Dick Jauron as HC, then you seriously don't understand football. Does this team need additional talent, hell yes! Does this team currently have talent that would be better used with a better HC...hell yes!
Don't get me wrong, Dick has to go.

But he wouldn't look so bad if he had players that performed. The same could be said for any coach, good or bad.

TacklingDummy
10-21-2009, 01:08 PM
And I will always argue that were these QB's terrible or did Jauron influence how their careers turned out?
So Ryan Leaf could have been a great QB but Kevin Gilbride, June Jones, Mike Riley, Dave Campo turned him into crap.

TacklingDummy
10-21-2009, 01:10 PM
Also, so you're saying that he had ZERO say in who he brought in as QB??? That is absurd! He was HC, they have a say in personnel...that proves this guy doesn't know talent and that is a big problem when trying to win football games.
Are you saying it was Dick's say to bring JP Losman, Trent Edwards, and Ryan Fitzpatrick in?

trapezeus
10-21-2009, 01:13 PM
but TD, his players don't perform, because he doesn't hold them accountable.

You don't have to be a screaming coach, but you have to make sure when mistakes happen that they don't happen again.

his players know that they can push all their mistakes on him and it leaves them in a less competitive space.

Listen to him praise every player the same way. "he's a hell of a player and he makes our team better." Regardless of play, they get this...all they care about is getting that check.

Like Coach Ditka (and i use this reference almost against my will) said on gameday last week. Too much about scouting is going into weight lifting and workout metrix. The first question should be, "do these guys want to play and then do these guys want to win?" I don't think too many players on our team can answer yes to both. Look at the good teams, they answer yes to both.

TacklingDummy
10-21-2009, 01:24 PM
but TD, his players don't perform, because he doesn't hold them accountable.

You sure it's just not because they suck?

Mr. Pink
10-21-2009, 01:42 PM
Jauron is great at leading outright putrid talent to being competitive, mostly, every Sunday.

Did it in Chicago and is doing it here.

Syderick
10-21-2009, 01:50 PM
It must have been Marv Levy fault that Norwood missed the kick.

It must have been Gregg Williams fault JP Losman sucked.

It must have been Mike Mularkey fault that JP Losman sucked.

It must have been Dick Jauron fault that JP Losman Sucked.

Must have been Bill Belicheck fault Tim Couch sucked.

Must have been Steve Mariucci fault Joey Harrington sucked.

etc...I could go on...why bother.

Gregg Williams never coached JP Losman and Bill Belicheck never coached Tim Couch.

TacklingDummy
10-21-2009, 01:54 PM
Gregg Williams never coached JP Losman and Bill Belicheck never coached Tim Couch.
Sorry, Mike Tomscak and Vinny Testaverde.

justasportsfan
10-21-2009, 02:00 PM
Who executed the plays?
players who did NOT have as much talent as the bills and yet they won because of coaching. Are you telling me that hOstetler and Rypien had more talent than Jim Kelly and co? You're dreaming if you do.

Are you telling me Antione Smith and Brady (in his 2nd year) had more talent than the other teams in the NFl?

justasportsfan
10-21-2009, 02:03 PM

this simply means that Dick is clueless when it comes to talent. It takes a good coach to find talent and put things together.

What good is the talent of Manning if the coach makes him scramable all the time? So yes , talent and coaching go 50/50. not 90/10.

TacklingDummy
10-21-2009, 02:54 PM
this simply means that Dick is clueless when it comes to talent. It takes a good coach to find talent and put things together.

LOL, now you are blaming Dick for the lack of talented players the GM gave him to work with?

TacklingDummy
10-21-2009, 02:55 PM
What good is the talent of Manning if the coach makes him scramable all the time? So yes , talent and coaching go 50/50. not 90/10.
Is it Manning who made many coaches look good or is it the coaches that made Manning look good? Would the Colts offense be as good this past decade with JP Losman or Trent Edwards under center?

DynaPaul
10-21-2009, 03:38 PM
I agree. Dick Jauron is a great leader... just like General Custer.

Syderick
10-21-2009, 03:42 PM
Is it Manning who made many coaches look good or is it the coaches that made Manning look good? Would the Colts offense be as good this past decade with JP Losman or Trent Edwards under center?

Look at what Marty Schottenheimer did with the Chargers and what Norv Turner is doing now.

Syderick
10-21-2009, 03:45 PM
During pre-game warm ups when all the other teams huddle up and say stuff like "Play 60 Minutes", "Don't Stop", "This is our house" "We're going to kick their butts"..etc
Dick goes around saying "Remember winning is the preferred outcome".

unpaid_bills
10-21-2009, 04:37 PM
its not like this a freakin rec leage pop warner where people sign up and you play with what you have. The HC should have a say in who is on the team, who starts. DJ probably sits there emotionless when he is asked. This is a business, he (and the Bills FO) for that matter cant evaluate talent very well. DJ is just as responsible as the FO in my opinion. Doesnt matter either way he will eventually be the scape goat and lose his job over it might as well say SOMETHING about

unpaid_bills
10-21-2009, 04:47 PM
he probably doesnt say ANYTHING. He just stands there with that dumb ass look on his face as Trent combs his hair and Roscoe Parrish is standing next to the midget trainer to see who is taller.

Dick probably says well Trent and Fitz are at least well educated they are Stanford and Harvard men, but they have short comings, they are not YALE men.

Philagape
10-21-2009, 06:13 PM
Dick probably says well Trent and Fitz are at least well educated they are Stanford and Harvard men, but they have short comings, they are not YALE men.

Sometimes I wonder if he is building a Jeopardy team instead of a football team.

unpaid_bills
10-21-2009, 06:18 PM
I work with a guy from MIT, Standford, Cal, Harvard, etc. they are "smart" but at the time no common sense and in my book complete idiots. Football is not all smarts either you can play (or coach) or not

Jeff1220
10-21-2009, 06:18 PM
He's the captain on a ship of fools.

evol4276
10-21-2009, 07:15 PM
If he doesn't let leonard walk. If he plays fred jackson earlier. if he kept crowell, ellison isn't on the field as much, if they kept haggan....

ftr, i dont remember anybody anybody ever wanting to keep leonard or haggan until after they were gone and started playing good.

Bmax
10-21-2009, 07:42 PM
Leaders are successful in what they do. They get people to follow them .. they make future leaders... Jauron is not a true leader .. Nice guy .. yeah a great leader .. NO ....

Bmax

justasportsfan
10-22-2009, 08:53 AM
Is it Manning who made many coaches look good or is it the coaches that made Manning look good? ?
It was both . The coaches have to device a plan that best suits the qb and his strengths

Would the Colts offense be as good this past decade with JP Losman or Trent Edwards under center?
Eli would have never develoed properly under Dick. Remember how he sucked his first couple of years? Coughlin fixed him.

trapezeus
10-22-2009, 08:59 AM
ftr, i dont remember anybody anybody ever wanting to keep leonard or haggan until after they were gone and started playing good.

Leonard was ok, and haggan was a ST stud. but our brilliant coaches who seem them day in and day out didn't think about putting them in places to succeed on the field. Now is it possible that haggan and leonard left buffalo and magically became better players? Or was it on the coaches to not finding the talent they already have?

Obviously these two players didn't get heralded by the fans, but coaches should be able to spot these things. Rex Ryan did.