Bobby April-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dozerdog
    In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Bobby April-

Why is he held up as a shining light on a dismal coaching staff?

Our STs have blown more games this year. 3 screw ups on kicks alone cost us 2 games - only the Jets managed not to take the gift wrapped turnover

Sure, we have guys who manage to take it to the house. They also handle kick returns as if they are carrying a stick of butter rather than a football

Moorman is awesome- no doubt, But I don't think April should be riding his coat tails.

When does April get the criticism?
  • DMBcrew36
    • Feb 2005

Re: Bobby April-

I think Bobby April has been receiving criticism as of late. This season has just been one gaffe after another. That said, he isn't the one out there playing the game. He can instruct and coach, but it is the players out there who need to execute and make quick decisions on their own.

Comment

A good coach can make a silk purse out a sow's ear.

When we get a new regime, I feel a complete spring clean is required and no-one should rely on past achievements.

Comment

• Syderick
        • Apr 2006

Cause he had 5 years bring the ST's to the top 5. This year he's having an average year.
        3,000,000th post on BZ!

Comment

• Prov401
          President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League)
          • Aug 2008

This is becoming rediculous. April isn't the one out there fumbling, muffing or kicking. We have had good kickoff and punt coverages. In 6 games, teams have only returned the ball 107 yards after a caught punt. That's good coverage for a team that punts as much as we do.

April can't be judged on kickoff or punt returns. The returners are totally responsible for what happens on that particular play. We should be judging special teams on it's coverages. Do we get any blocked punts/field goals? No. Do we let teams score on us on ST? No. Though our returns haven't been close to what we've seen in years past, we are still a good special teams.

Comment

• DMBcrew36
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by TE2Hard-E81
            This is becoming rediculous. April isn't the one out there fumbling, muffing or kicking. We have had good kickoff and punt coverages. In 6 games, teams have only returned the ball 107 yards after a caught punt. That's good coverage for a team that punts as much as we do.

April can't be judged on kickoff or punt returns. The returners are totally responsible for what happens on that particular play. We should be judging special teams on it's coverages. Do we get any blocked punts/field goals? No. Do we let teams score on us on ST? No. Though our returns haven't been close to what we've seen in years past, we are still a good special teams.
            Ultimately, if Parrish and McKelvin hadn't lost two key fumbles late in games, we probably wouldn't even be discussing Bobby April.
            Last edited by DMBcrew36; 10-21-2009, 02:13 PM.

Comment

• Prov401
              President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League)
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by DMBcrew36
              Ultimately, if Parrish and McKelvin hadn't lost two key fumbles late in games, we probably wouldn't even be discussing Bobby April.
              Exactly.

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Before this year, April deserved the kudos.

However, this year, S/T has been awful- but he has taken his share of the criticism. No one is letting him off the hook for the penalties or botched returns.

It's all relative, though. Jauron and Fewell are on 3 seasons plus 6 games of being mediocre at best. April had 4 years of outstanding special teams followed by 6 bad games. Overall, April has been good a hell of a lot more than he's been bad, so it would be unfair to give up on him just yet.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Billz_fan
                  • Jan 2003

Originally posted by kernowboy

When we get a new regime, I feel a complete spring clean is required and no-one should rely on past achievements.
                  I used to believe that to. Remember our Offensive line coach Jim Mcnally ? He was the guy to polish any turd into a gem. It did not work here.
                  The Polian Curse

"They're a very special group of men. Cherish them, you will not see their like again."

February 4, 1993 Bill Polian at his closing press conferance after being dismissed as GM of the Buffalo Bills by Ralph Wilson.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                    • Mar 2005

Dozer, you missed three of my threads on this topic.

Op, love ya your posts usually but April has been the beneafactor of a roster that would make any special teams coach look good.

This is the same guy that can't teach guys to cover onside kicks.

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by kernowboy

Agreed with the second part.

Regarding the first part: a good coach gets the best out of the talent that he has, like Bellicheck. He consistently makes a juggernaut out of talent that is slightly above average. But even the best coach can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****. Bellicheck might be able to get 9 wins with this lousy excuse for an NFL roster.

However, don't get me wrong. I'm not defending Jauron, because he doesn't even come close to maximizing the talent we do have. On average, he's good for two losses a season just due his own conservatism and stupidity.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• yordad
                        • Dec 2007

I think our special teams has more penalties this year the most other complete teams do.
                        "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Typ0
                          honey pie
                          • Jul 2002

I know it's been said but we have bartered offense and defense for good special teams the last few years. It's like they finally figured out how silly that is. Yes, ST is important but they aren't nearly on the field as much as O and D. Hey, the D isn't that bad and the O is loaded with talent really they are just young on the line and the quarterbacking is horrible. This team is closer than people think I believe. But April has been the benefactor of an organizational approach I don't know if it was his influence solely or everyone but the approach changed and so did his performance.

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Typ0
                            I know it's been said but we have bartered offense and defense for good special teams the last few years. It's like they finally figured out how silly that is. Yes, ST is important but they aren't nearly on the field as much as O and D. Hey, the D isn't that bad and the O is loaded with talent really they are just young on the line and the quarterbacking is horrible. This team is closer than people think I believe. But April has been the benefactor of an organizational approach I don't know if it was his influence solely or everyone but the approach changed and so did his performance.
                            Sorry but the talent isn't there on O. Owens is washed up, Evans is overrated, we still don't have a TE (although hopefully Nelson will emerge), Hangartner is mediocre, our tackles suck and our guards are still learning. The only position on O that's solid is RB.

Better QB play would help the situation, but this team needs more than that.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• DMBcrew36
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37
                              Sorry but the talent isn't there on O. Owens is washed up, Evans is overrated, we still don't have a TE (although hopefully Nelson will emerge), Hangartner is mediocre, our tackles suck and our guards are still learning. The only position on O that's solid is RB.

Better QB play would help the situation, but this team needs more than that.
                              I'm not ready to buy that Owens is washed up and Evans is overrated. If we had a QB whose head was out of his a**, a right tackle, and a left tackle, I think we'd see a lot more aerial offense.

We might even see it this Sunday if Fitz starts. I'm not saying the guy will throw for even 300 yards, just that Owens and Evans may finally get involved more.
                              Last edited by DMBcrew36; 10-21-2009, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X