PDA

View Full Version : The way forward?

kernowboy
10-21-2009, 12:29 PM
An inexperienced head coach with experienced co-ordinators.

Seeing the success of McDaniels in Denver despite seemingly significantly overhauling their roster makes me wonder if this is not the way to go for Buffalo if given the chance.

McDaniels brought in former head coach Mike Nolan to install a 3-4 defence and despite what many saw as a weird draft, has created a no-name unit which has done extremely well despite being manned by a number of castoffs from other teams. This unit of mostly unheralded players has conceded the fewest points in the league.

On the other side of the ball, McDaniels clearly has a plan developed over many years and simply implemented it.

He showed no fear at all in losing one of his most talent players but instead maximised the value he got back rather than have a distraction on the team. Whilst it can be argued he caused the problem, they have simply gotten on with it. Even their GM, Brian Xanders cannot claim real responsibility for the resurgence of his former team the Falcons as Tom Dimitroff turned them around and it has to be questioned his impact in Denver.

Fast forward to the Bills and the appointment of a rookie coach like Russ Grimm from an established 'coaching tree' (Pittsburgh rather than New England) might create a similar turn around. This could lead to the signing of senior coordinators to whom Grimm could delegate, rather than constantly look to him. Mularkey always struck me as Donahoe's mimi-me and power should rest with the coach not the other way around.

If he moved on Lynch to replace him with a less well known but potentially as effective compliment to Fred Jackson, he would have additional flexibility in the draft. Certainly this would afford him more options and let him put his name on the team. Whilst Lynch might want to stay, he is a habitule summer distraction of woe, a distraction like Jay Cutler was becoming.

Denver did not really sign that many top name free agents and their rookies have not really stepped forward yet. In terms of talent I can only see Ryan Clady as being significantly better at his position from what our roster currently offer so there should not be any reason (in footballing terms) why this cannot be turned around for next season even if it means losing some so-called top players.

So maybe we should start to look at appointing a talented young coach with all the right connections and the flexibility to do whatever he wants with the coaching staff and roster and simply give him the benefit of the doubt, irrespective of the popularity of some decisions with the fans.

McBFLO
10-21-2009, 07:12 PM
An inexperienced head coach with experienced co-ordinators.

Seeing the success of McDaniels in Denver despite seemingly significantly overhauling their roster makes me wonder if this is not the way to go for Buffalo if given the chance.

McDaniels brought in former head coach Mike Nolan to install a 3-4 defence and despite what many saw as a weird draft, has created a no-name unit which has done extremely well despite being manned by a number of castoffs from other teams. This unit of mostly unheralded players has conceded the fewest points in the league.

On the other side of the ball, McDaniels clearly has a plan developed over many years and simply implemented it.

He showed no fear at all in losing one of his most talent players but instead maximised the value he got back rather than have a distraction on the team. Whilst it can be argued he caused the problem, they have simply gotten on with it. Even their GM, Brian Xanders cannot claim real responsibility for the resurgence of his former team the Falcons as Tom Dimitroff turned them around and it has to be questioned his impact in Denver.

Fast forward to the Bills and the appointment of a rookie coach like Russ Grimm from an established 'coaching tree' (Pittsburgh rather than New England) might create a similar turn around. This could lead to the signing of senior coordinators to whom Grimm could delegate, rather than constantly look to him. Mularkey always struck me as Donahoe's mimi-me and power should rest with the coach not the other way around.

If he moved on Lynch to replace him with a less well known but potentially as effective compliment to Fred Jackson, he would have additional flexibility in the draft. Certainly this would afford him more options and let him put his name on the team. Whilst Lynch might want to stay, he is a habitule summer distraction of woe, a distraction like Jay Cutler was becoming.

Denver did not really sign that many top name free agents and their rookies have not really stepped forward yet. In terms of talent I can only see Ryan Clady as being significantly better at his position from what our roster currently offer so there should not be any reason (in footballing terms) why this cannot be turned around for next season even if it means losing some so-called top players.

So maybe we should start to look at appointing a talented young coach with all the right connections and the flexibility to do whatever he wants with the coaching staff and roster and simply give him the benefit of the doubt, irrespective of the popularity of some decisions with the fans.

Thank you thank you thank you! Finally someone else to jump on the Russ Grimm train with me. I've been saying the Bills should hire hum since before they hred Mularkey. He'd basically give you a Bill Cowher style coach for millions less, but at the same time has not only playing experience, but some NFL coaching experience (in a successful environment I might add) as well.