PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Surprising Sack Total

BuffaloBlitz83
10-21-2009, 11:42 PM
Everyone knocked the front four's lack of pressure. Buffalo actually has the most sacks in the AFC East this season with 14. Much better than expected. IMO it has a great deal to do with the return of a healthy Aaron Schobel. he has played well and better than most of us all expected and hopefully will add to that thi week. We are on pace to destroy last year's total of 24. A coincidence, Schobel was out? I think an effective, healthy Schobel has helped Kelsay also.

The Juice Is Loose
10-22-2009, 12:31 AM
I knew Schobel had some left in the tank. And Kelsay has played pretty well this year, gotten some sacks.

Some could also be contributed to Sanders, the new d-line coach.

Billz_fan
10-22-2009, 12:37 AM
They are doing well by stat standards. I give them credit. 1 attaboy :D

On the flipside this is a really wierd year in the NFL. There is some really good football being played and some really bad football being played. I don't feel the Bills are playing a very good brand of football overall. It's like the league has no middle this year.

Crisis
10-22-2009, 02:37 AM
if only they could stop the run

Marvelous
10-22-2009, 03:06 AM
Schobel is relentless out there. And he helps the rest of the D-line shine. Kinda like Ted Wahington made Sam Cowart shine that year etc..
-Kelsay is getting some fanbase respect.
-Kyle WIlliams is a beast & i want a jersey!
-Stroud is so worth the pick we traded. Makes me wish we would trade more 4-6th round picks for proven players..
---Great thread since i had no idea we had that many sacks.

BertSquirtgum
10-22-2009, 03:45 AM
kelsay's play has been respectable. i can't knock him at all this year.

zone
10-22-2009, 05:48 AM
The d-line getting the sacks and pressure this year is a direct correlation to the amount of picks as well.

ChristopherWalken
10-22-2009, 07:45 AM
The defense has seem more aggressive this year. Probably as Fewell and Jauron backs are against the wall.

I think the run stop, or lack there of, can be directly attributed to injury. The younger guys tend to over pursue and a counter or split belly type play will expose this for all its worth.

Luisito23
10-22-2009, 07:50 AM
It's surprising though because all the games I've watched it always seem like the opposing QB's seem to have plenty of time to throw the ball.

MassEffect218435
10-22-2009, 08:33 AM
But but but but Schobel is horrible and overpaid, he needs to go..... right?

ChristopherWalken
10-22-2009, 11:12 AM
I think Schobel is on the downward slide of his career. That doesn't mean he can't get it done. It simply means he will have less and less good days on the field. And to be quite honest here, he has never been a force in the running game. That could be partly due to the fact that the Bills haven't had a complete and decent DL in nearly a decade.

DraftBoy
10-22-2009, 11:42 AM
I think its very much due to Sanders coming in here.

BuffaloBlitz83
10-22-2009, 01:36 PM
I think its very much due to Sanders coming in here.

Coaching doesn't always solve the issues, if you don't have the horses. Look at McNally, he did nothing with our O Line. He was touted as one of the best in business.

justasportsfan
10-22-2009, 01:50 PM
If only we had a dominating lb'er we'd be doing so much better.

Syderick
10-22-2009, 02:02 PM
Coaching doesn't always solve the issues, if you don't have the horses. Look at McNally, he did nothing with our O Line. He was touted as one of the best in business.

It seems to have in this case.

BillsWin
10-22-2009, 02:47 PM
run defense was ranked top 10 through the first 3-4 weeks then BAM! injuries to the LBs became too much for the Bills and now they suck.

However our D has not been the problem this year.

Crisis
10-22-2009, 03:42 PM

When the personnel is the exact same it's been in the past and their production as a whole is a lot better...something makes me believe it is.

BuffaloBlitz83
10-22-2009, 03:54 PM
When the personnel is the exact same it's been in the past and their production as a whole is a lot better...something makes me believe it is.

Schobel was out last year

Crisis
10-22-2009, 03:57 PM
He had 6.5 sacks the year before with 16 games started, and he still played 5 games last year and looked less than spectacular. It's not like we have any new faces on the defensive line from the past few years really. Maybin has seen little time and no production. Stroud is in his second year here, and even then our pass rush didn't look like this when Schobel was healthy last year.

BuffaloBlitz83
10-22-2009, 04:16 PM
He had 6.5 sacks the year before with 16 games started, and he still played 5 games last year and looked less than spectacular. It's not like we have any new faces on the defensive line from the past few years really. Maybin has seen little time and no production. Stroud is in his second year here, and even then our pass rush didn't look like this when Schobel was healthy last year.

Aaron has been productive every season except that 6.5 year. 14, 12, 8, 11.5, 8.5, and 6.5 in rookie year. Bad years do happen. Look at guys like Vanden Bosch and Ware. I don't think Aaron is elite. But I think he is our best DE by far and has had an impact this year on Pass Rush, regardless if coaching helps. Remove Schobel, we won't have same DL pressure with this cast.

PECKERWOOD
10-23-2009, 12:05 AM
run defense was ranked top 10 through the first 3-4 weeks then BAM! injuries to the LBs became too much for the Bills and now they suck.

However our D has not been the problem this year.

I haven't posted much in this section lately, I've just been thanking your posts instead because you've been reading my mind.

BillsWin
10-23-2009, 12:30 AM
I haven't posted much in this section lately, I've just been thanking your posts instead because you've been reading my mind.

Two steps ahead of you at all times Peckerwood! hahaha

Marvelous
10-24-2009, 03:59 PM
I think Schobel is on the downward slide of his career. That doesn't mean he can't get it done. It simply means he will have less and less good days on the field. And to be quite honest here, he has never been a force in the running game. That could be partly due to the fact that the Bills haven't had a complete and decent DL in nearly a decade.

I have two comments about this.
-1- Schobel IS a solid tackler. We all know this to be fact, But since there's much more to run support---I do notice him making run tackles. But that doesn't explain is he elite like Klesay @ Run support.. So I-for incomplete

-2- Scholel disappears all the time. I noticed this last season. He will be invisible for most of the game. & in the 3rd quarter my wife or i will say "Is Schobel even playing?"----Then he'll have a game and dominate. and balance oiut his stats etc..

---Yes he is on the downside. I think we should continue to draft DE's in the 1st 3 rounds for the next 2-3 years.. And when we have more young, innexperienced youth depth, then we can start thinking of one of em starting in Schobels stead,,, or spelling him etc....
---Lets say Schobel has 1 year left(next year) and Kelsay has 3. We could try to draft anbother DE this year in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd round and do all the standard stuff, coaching,exp,groom, etc & as the year goes He, Maybin,Ellis get more playing time so that the next year(season after next) we can start him & he is a force, or atleast capable...

-----There's TWO reasons i've always been so Pro-Kelsay--
-1- Because i know he is good & i don't need him to have pro-bowl upside to be my starter..Him being servicable is A-ok...I view him THE SAME AS I DID Phil Hansen! Maybe higher because Kelsay had Bruuuuce & a all-star cast. But both remained the starter for many years without the hype of being a star/probowler type..

--2--We will downgrade/hurt the defense to plug someone else in there. The guy knows the defense well. Nobody is doubting his football smarts/IQ. He has chemistry w/ Schobel,Kyle WIlliams, in fact the whole defense & staff really respect/like the guy. If not for us fans Klesay wouldn't have many critics at all. But that's because we/MOST just want more, a star on the rise etc..

-I'm fine with upgrading the position, but i have beef if we are gonna start someone else with the hope of upside for the youth replacement. I'll take #90's reliability for now. BUt the best thing about the D-line and why i can have this position/take is they take many plays off and the backup spells him all the time. So we can still groom a rookie, or Maybin without changing the allignment of the D-line...

-----Fewell is really impressing me.. I know he & Bobby April are safe in the up coming purge.....
----I'm pretty sure he is the opbvious minority interview. This deserves it's own thread about Fewell. Anyone?