X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • homeslice5484
    • Jul 2008

Schumer: NFL Committed to Buffalo

On Thursday, a planned 75,000 seat NFL stadium in Los Angeles took a big step forward when the Governor signed a bill clearing the way for construction to begin on the stadium.
    And so L.A., without an NFL team for 15 years is on the prowl for a team.
    The developer of the L.A. stadium has named seven teams as possible targets to move, including Buffalo.
    But Peter King of Sports Illustrated, one of the most respected NFL reporters in the country has a column on the L.A. stadium this week, where he pretty much discounts Buffalo moving because of Ralph Wilson's ownership and the team's partnering with Toronto.
    Here are King's four most likely teams to move:
    • The St. Louis Rams who are up for sale
    • The Oakland Raiders whose lease is up next year
    • The San Diego Charges whose owner is good friends with the L.A. developer
    • The Jacksonville Jaguars who are having severe attendance problems.
    And Friday's New York Times speculates that San Diego is the most likely team to move.
    Scott Brown: "Does it surprise you that we're talking about teams moving, and Buffalo's not really being mentioned?"
    Senator Chuck Schumer: "Well this is really good news because we've worked hard over the last couple of years to strengthen the Bills Toronto game, and not just because it's another market, but because Toronto people are coming to Buffalo."
    Scott Brown: "Have you spoken to (NFL) Commissioner Goodell recently?" "
    Senator Schumer: "I have spoken to Commissioner Goodell, he remains committed as ever as a Western New Yorker, himself from Chautauqua County, and everyone's quite optimistic now."

wgrz

• BuffaloBlitz83
    We play to win the game!
    • Oct 2009

Re: Schumer: NFL Committed to Buffalo

great to read that!

Comment

• BillsWin
      man amongst boys
      • Oct 2008

I love you for posting that. lol
      I am The Batman.

Comment

• Jaybird
        • Dec 2005

i like it!

Comment

• WeAreArthurMoates
          • Feb 2009

What a lot people don't realize is that the NFL does realize they need these small market teams with strong fan bases, sure the Jerry Jones and Dan Snyders don't but there whacko. The NFL wouldn't be the same without the Buffalo's, KC, GB, Cleveland's. Hence why they gave Cleveland another team.

Comment

• Jeff1220
            H to the 12:20
            • Jul 2002

I didn't realize Goodell was a WNYer! That could turn out to be great for the Bills - we all know Tagliabue loved large markets and was bent on gettting a team into LA, and likely on getting the Bills out of Buffalo.

Comment

• yordad
              • Dec 2007

He was born in Jamestown NY, not far from Lucille Ball.
              "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Demon
                • Mar 2003

Great to hear. Glad Schumer is getting involved. However, for the life of me, i just don't trust Roger Goddell. He just seems to me a bit sketchy. Idk, maybe it's just because our franchise is on a list i wouldn't want it to be on so i'm all sketched out, but i just don't have good feeling about Goddell. And, i won't be sleeping happy until Wilson sells the team to local people who are committed to staying local. That's another guy i just can not trust.

But this is def the best news we could have heard after hearing about the developments that came out of Los Angeles yesterday.

ps. San Diego does seem like the most logical team though. Already out west, fan base doesn't have to move too much, owner is friends with the dousch developer who's trying to steal a team and SD got their team from LA like 50 years ago.... and there is no way SD will build a new football stadium since they just lost tons of money on Petco Park (for the Padres). It just makes too much sense to me.
                Impossible is Nothing.

Comment

• jamze132
                  Don’t hate…
                  • Jun 2003

If Goodell had say in Buffalo staying or going and he let them leave, he would have sold his soul to the devil. No way does he "let" Buffalo leave.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • May 2009

hopefully this will shut some of the nay sayers up for awhile. i don't know if living in western new york automatically makes people negative but it sure seems that way. i don't foresee the bills leaving anytime soon.

Comment

• SABuffalo786
                      • Feb 2003

Good news. I'll feel better when the team's passed to a Buffalo ownership group with plans of keeping them here.
                      "Do me a favor, say a prayer for brother Timmy. And tip a cold one. Go Bills." - Tom Brokaw

We are the Rockpile
                      We are the Rockpile
                      We are the Rockpile
                      BUFF-A-LO

Comment

• DynaPaul
                        • Sep 2003

Ralph might have a heart attack reading that. I hope the Bills stay in Buffalo because if they move to L.A. I can't root for em. In my opinion the Jaguars are the team that should be moving. When you field a decent team and still cant sell out you got problems.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                          • May 2003

I think Schumer will exert a lot of political pressure to keep the Bills in Buffalo even after Ralph passes, including playing the antitrust exemption card. It's good to have him on our side, but we really need a qualified local ownership group to give him something to fight for.
                          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Nighthawk
                            Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                            I think Schumer will exert a lot of political pressure to keep the Bills in Buffalo even after Ralph passes, including playing the antitrust exemption card. It's good to have him on our side, but we really need a qualified local ownership group to give him something to fight for.
                            I agree with everything, but the local ownership suggestion. Many professional sports owners don't live in the city they own franchises for. If the right owner came in here and ran this organization correctly, they would have an absolute money maker of a franchise. This area is crazy about the Bills and if an owner actually capitalized on that, this could be a top line organization.

Comment

• HAMMER
                              I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
                              • Jul 2003

I agree that the Chargers are the most likely team to move to LA. They have a lot of flexibility in their existing lease and would have the added advantage of the regional fan base already in place. "The Chargers' lease expires in 2020, but the team has a window from Feb. 1 until May 1 each year to notify the city of its intent to relocate. The Chargers' cost to get out of the lease goes down each year: It would be $54.6 million in 2010 and would dip to $25.8 million in 2011. "

The true Charger fans, of which there are many, will be devastated just like Bills fans would be. I would be bummed as I live 5 minutes from Qualcomm and really enjoy going to a couple games a year. Tailgating here is great too, with no ****ty weather.

Comment

Working...
                              X